Suck it up Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Suck it up Geelong

Is there a team who has ever got a better run with frees than them though. Lindsay Thomas seems to be the new Schnides...he gets dropped in front of an umpire and they look the other way. Tommahawk gets cheap frees every time yet can hold a defender by the face and push him off and nothing called. The umps certainly helped them look better as they did in a few close wins they came back in. Selwood is a stager just like Thomas but they don't care.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Geelong had success because they were run by a smarter group of people at CEO and board level than us, and that ultimately filtered down to recruiting and coaching.
No. Geelong have massive natural advantages. They're in a one team town so they have a massive addressable market. They're in multiple marginal seats so there's always government money for them. Geelong itself is basically a company town (for a few different companies) so there's plenty of sponsorship dollars around.

They also picked up two of the best players of all time as father-sons, but I don't see that as the biggest factor. Really it's their natural financial advantages which are showing through.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Is there a team who has ever got a better run with frees than them though. Lindsay Thomas seems to be the new Schnides...he gets dropped in front of an umpire and they look the other way. Tommahawk gets cheap frees every time yet can hold a defender by the face and push him off and nothing called. The umps certainly helped them look better as they did in a few close wins they came back in. Selwood is a stager just like Thomas but they don't care.
Thomas's acting is deplorable, he deserves no more free kicks for the rest of his career.

Selwood had his brow opened up by a sniping Harvey shoulder off the ball, another suspension has to come - what an idiot.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:who friggin cares
theyre out

thats all that matters

jealous over their success it seems
well sucked in to us i say
shouldve kicked goals not points
then they would have one less flag and we would have one more
well said matrix

yes suck it up Geelong

They must be heartbroken - you fools :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:Geelong had success because they were run by a smarter group of people at CEO and board level than us, and that ultimately filtered down to recruiting and coaching.
No. Geelong have massive natural advantages. They're in a one team town so they have a massive addressable market. They're in multiple marginal seats so there's always government money for them. Geelong itself is basically a company town (for a few different companies) so there's plenty of sponsorship dollars around.

They also picked up two of the best players of all time as father-sons, but I don't see that as the biggest factor. Really it's their natural financial advantages which are showing through.

They drafted a great core around the early 2000s and really had a few great advantages. The property down there is cheap and offers a great surf coast life style. The town gives them all freebies and treats them all like kings. We had to pay our guys like millionaire as they all lived around Brighton and inner bayside where the property and lifestyle cost a lot. $500 000 in Geelong is heaps, it would by you a bathing box in Brighton.

spert
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Nah..smart passionate, highly driven hands-on President who made sure he had the best people around him, and who demanded the rung was set high through the club.. the rest is just candy

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Geelong had success because they were run by a smarter group of people at CEO and board level than us,

Not sure if it was smarter. But more dedicated, committed and most crucially all willing to work together.

When GT and RB (plus others such as Kellet and Gerry Ryan) were pushing in the same direction all was good at the Saints and were on the up and up offield and on. They had the "smarts", but not the capacity to all work together. Losing Gerry Ryan in being as active as he was (he still plays a role) wasa major loss. Let's hope our CEO can get him more involved again.

Problems set in when egos got in the way and each party took "my way or the highway" stances.

Unfortunately their successors in Footy First turned out to Footy Farce, and Westaway should change his name to Wasteaway. Like a child inheriting the family fortune, Wasteaway blew the lot.
spert wrote: and that ultimately filtered down to recruiting and coaching.
Yes and no. Their recruiting guy was one out of the box. Being in a great environment meant that the Cats could make the most of his talent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:But geez they play the game right out to the death knell. They give their supporters a lot of hope
Yep they never stopped - even when 6+ goals down. I wish the Saints had got Caddy.
I'm not tying to make matters any worse but you realise the club prioritised Tom Lee over Caddy? He was keen to come to us and we had pick 12 to get him, better than any other offer GC recieved. He's an absolute bull and will be a star. He's basically a quicker and A grade version of Armo.
When did Caddy want to come to us? Are we rewriting history here?
No rewriting history - maybe do some research. I remember that trade period 2012, here are just 2 links, not looking up more. Not so sure Caddy was that keen, but seems the Saints were.

"After two seasons with the Suns, Caddy has requested a trade back home to Victoria ......St Kilda says it is making a play for the highly regarded 20-year-old, but it is understood the Saints are not one of his preferred options."

http://www.news.com.au/national/geelong ... 6487945109

".....But St Kilda have been heavily linked with Caddy, though Melbourne and the W Bulldogs could also come into play as possible homes for the midfielder....."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8530641

Hold your ground :shock:
maverick
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
maverick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:But geez they play the game right out to the death knell. They give their supporters a lot of hope
Yep they never stopped - even when 6+ goals down. I wish the Saints had got Caddy.
I'm not tying to make matters any worse but you realise the club prioritised Tom Lee over Caddy? He was keen to come to us and we had pick 12 to get him, better than any other offer GC recieved. He's an absolute bull and will be a star. He's basically a quicker and A grade version of Armo.
No rewriting history - maybe do some research. I remember that trade period 2012, here are just 2 links, not looking up more. Not so sure Caddy was that keen, but seems the Saints were.

"After two seasons with the Suns, Caddy has requested a trade back home to Victoria ......St Kilda says it is making a play for the highly regarded 20-year-old, but it is understood the Saints are not one of his preferred options."

".....But St Kilda have been heavily linked with Caddy, though Melbourne and the W Bulldogs could also come into play as possible homes for the midfielder....."

Nice research, which bit says he wanted to come to us….

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
maverick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Nice research, which bit says he wanted to come to us….
Where did I say he wanted to be a Saint? Another poster in the quotes above said this. I even said in my reply to you, "...not so sure Caddy was keen, but seems the Saints were."

I remembered the Saints were quite keen, which is why I initally wrote "wish we got Caddy" and was slammed for that.

Hold your ground :shock:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm the opposite, I have this weird logic that the better they are, the less shame in losing to them in 09
I can understand why you would say that but the 2014 Cats compared to the 2009 Cats are completely different teams.

You would have a good point back in 04, 05 and 08 in the losing prelims we lost to the eventual Premiers, for example.

As my patronizing boss would go on to ask (say), does THAT make sense? :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
suss
Club Player

They were gifted, in effect, three number 1 draft picks because of good quality semen and poor AFL policy. That lead to the premierships and a decade of dominance. Well done AFL for keeping romance in the game.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:They were gifted, in effect, three number 1 draft picks because of good quality semen and poor AFL policy. That lead to the premierships and a decade of dominance. Well done AFL for keeping romance in the game.
We were gifted Goddard!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bergholt wrote:

They drafted a great core around the early 2000s and really had a few great advantages. The property down there is cheap and offers a great surf coast life style. The town gives them all freebies and treats them all like kings. We had to pay our guys like millionaire as they all lived around Brighton and inner bayside where the property and lifestyle cost a lot. $500 000 in Geelong is heaps, it would by you a bathing box in Brighton.
It would get you two bathing boxes, they go for about $220,000 and you don't even own them. Don't exagerrate!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
suss
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
suss wrote:They were gifted, in effect, three number 1 draft picks because of good quality semen and poor AFL policy. That lead to the premierships and a decade of dominance. Well done AFL for keeping romance in the game.
We were gifted Goddard!
True but we were terrible and that policy was to assist really poor teams to compete. They got two Abletts, Scarlett and Hawkins because someone somewhere wants to see sons play for their fathers' teams.

Imagine the 09 grand final again. Take away Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins. Who wins?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
We were gifted Goddard!
True but we were terrible and that policy was to assist really poor teams to compete. They got two Abletts, Scarlett and Hawkins because someone somewhere wants to see sons play for their fathers' teams.

Imagine the 09 grand final again. Take away Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins. Who wins?
It's not the actual sons that are the big deal, it's where they were able to take them, allowing them to take 3 players beforehand - Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, Selwood… take some of these guys out of the side and they'd be lucky to have one flag.

lefty
Club Player

hahahahaah Geelong, suck shite :P
Mckay you deserve it!

Arrogant Geelong and their supporters. The cliff is coming.

suss
Club Player

dragit wrote:
suss wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
We were gifted Goddard!

It's not the actual sons that are the big deal, it's where they were able to take them, allowing them to take 3 players beforehand - Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, Selwood… take some of these guys out of the side and they'd be lucky to have one flag.
It's both. People will say it's fixed now because of the bidding system. That still allows a team to win the premiership and be gifted the effective number 1 draft pick. It's a bulls*** rule that has no place in modern football.

Out of interest I just googled Hawkins to see where he went in the draft. He went at pick 41. In the same year they got Selwood at pick 7. And people think they won three premierships through good management. My god.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Cliff, Geelong, fallen off.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:who friggin cares
theyre out

thats all that matters

jealous over their success it seems
well sucked in to us i say
shouldve kicked goals not points
then they would have one less flag and we would have one more
...they kicked a point that was counted as a goal. :evil:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I have nothing but contempt Geelong. Have since 1991. Was happy to see the back of them.

Well played, North Melbourne! Hope they finish off the Swines in the PF. Now that would put a big smile on my face.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The era is over. The end of eras are usually marked by a significant event, or events. Going out in back to back finals is a good example. They'll probably have a soft landing, but they won't be a genuine contender for some time yet.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Brent Harvey free to play - what a f****** joke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Brent Harvey free to play - what a f****** joke.

Yep bad news for all the people who want to go back to the old system

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Brent Harvey free to play - what a f****** joke.
Yep bad news for all the people who want to go back to the old system
As in testimony from the recipient?

"he didn't hit me hard"

Geelong submitted a medical report that stated it was possible Selwood could bleed more above his right eye because of past injuries to the area.

ridiculous.