Schneider still on the list....

7 down and still this old plodder remains.......are they just teasing us?

He's finished/cooked/done.

Thoughts?

murray 66

Re: Schneider still on the list....

Totally agree mate.......
Only valid reason would be not to do a Melbourne and trade/Delist all senior players at once.
From a club prospective his training and presence around the club might out weigh his ability to be able to play senior footy on a regular basis ?????????

murray 66 wrote:Totally agree mate.......
Only valid reason would be not to do a Melbourne and trade/Delist all senior players at once.
From a club prospective his training and presence around the club might out weigh his ability to be able to play senior footy on a regular basis ?????????
Give him an off field role then, but don't keep him on the list.
Probably just need to be patient and wait for him to "retire" in the next week or two.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I won't be devastated if he's still on our list. I'm pleased that so far the club has moved on all our fan favourite list cloggers and vfl standard players who aren't young. When Schneider plays well he's classy, that's what I'd prefer. Rooey rates him big time, always wraps him. Lenny rates him, the phrase 'a touch of class' is what those guys always quote when talking about him and his footy smarts so if fit, I'm happy if he plays some games. If he is retired, I will be equally pretty pleased as another spot opens up for a youngster to demand regular selection...I suspect we won't have to wait long to find out either way...

saintspremiers wrote:7 down and still this old plodder remains.......are they just teasing us?

Thoughts?
We've already got seven spots in the list. We'll promote some rookies but that's at least four draft picks. Dumping Schneids would add on pick 80 or so. Not worth much. So if they think he's good for the culture of the place then I'd keep him on.

Schneider is/was a great player. Has a ton of class. But so did Peter Daicos.

Doesnt mean he can go on forever.

But based on current list numbers - it looks highly likely he will get another year next year.

saintspremiers wrote:7 down and still this old plodder remains.......are they just teasing us?

Thoughts?
We've already got seven spots in the list. We'll promote some rookies but that's at least four draft picks. Dumping Schneids would add on pick 80 or so. Not worth much. So if they think he's good for the culture of the place then I'd keep him on.
Then again if we add guys like O'Rourke & Jaksch we may need to clear more spots Image

I'd say his spot is at the mercy of our trade period.

He is a classy player and perhaps they think he was restricted in his out put from a lack of preseason. He still has to survive the final list lodgement though.

bigballs

Maybe they're keeping him on the list just so they can keep "Schneiderman's Web of Truth" going for another year!! :)

Maybe something to do with educating the youngins me thinks. Hopefully he can have a big pre season and kick butt next year.

But who will do the Schneiderman episodes!!!

He is probably still on the list as some kind of leader, on and off the field. Seen onfield he is often the one talking to the younger players.

One of our cleanest ball users, I reckon we'll give him one more year.

Furphy

It's a pity he couldn't kick straight in the '09 GF

I personally reckon he'll get another year, even if it's only to mentor the young guys and plug the holes that arise in the side.

Saint wagga wrote:I'm not his biggest fan, but I won't be devastated if he's still on our list. I'm pleased that so far the club has moved on all our fan favourite list cloggers and vfl standard players who aren't young. When Schneider plays well he's classy, that's what I'd prefer. Rooey rates him big time, always wraps him. Lenny rates him, the phrase 'a touch of class' is what those guys always quote when talking about him and his footy smarts so if fit, I'm happy if he plays some games. If he is retired, I will be equally pretty pleased as another spot opens up for a youngster to demand regular selection...I suspect we won't have to wait long to find out either way...
good comments

Saint wagga wrote:I'm not his biggest fan, but I won't be devastated if he's still on our list. I'm pleased that so far the club has moved on all our fan favourite list cloggers and vfl standard players who aren't young. When Schneider plays well he's classy, that's what I'd prefer. Rooey rates him big time, always wraps him. Lenny rates him, the phrase 'a touch of class' is what those guys always quote when talking about him and his footy smarts so if fit, I'm happy if he plays some games. If he is retired, I will be equally pretty pleased as another spot opens up for a youngster to demand regular selection...I suspect we won't have to wait long to find out either way...
good comments
Agreed.

The vision from Sunday's game was actually pretty illuminating when it comes to the value Schneids adds on the field. They spent a bit of time focussing on the Great White Hope inside 50, and what was interesting (and really pleasing) to see was Schneids organising the structure, telling Spencer (and later Murdoch) where to get to and when to go. I'm sure he's always doing this, but it really stood out in that game.

That is the problem, does the good outweigh the bad? - he expects everyone else to do the stuff he can't be bothered doing, like manning up, chasing, doing the gut running - so many times it is his man that starts the run out of defence with Schneids pointing and gesticulating but not much else. Time is up for him.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike

I wouldnt keep Schneider on his onfield efforts - but perhaps he can contribute more than we see? I suppose we have to give him some relief as he hasnt done a proper pre season for sometime. If he stays he need to become the fittest he has been in his career to get senior games!

it might be we are waiting if Saad gets a spot.

Foot skills, creativity, and decision-making. In short supply at St Kilda at the moment. Maybe that's why he hasn't been chopped. Still, it's early days. Won't be surprised if his name isn't on the list next year.

The fact that he's only one of oh, say, three players hitting a target more than 25 metres away counts in his favour.

We all know he hasn't played much footy due to injury, but he gets another pre-season for mine.

Oodles of class, can finish, can play forward or defence, and is probably the smartest player in the whole team.

Yes, I know, the caveat is when he's fit, which hasn't been often. But players like him don't grow on trees and he deserves another year.

GoSaintersGo

Think you'll find that Schneids has another year on his contract - not certain but think so. Has been a great asset to the club.

If his mum was crying in the rooms after the game you would suggest he is going unless of course he just told her off.

If he can have a good pre.seaon and an injury free run,will really be an asset for us.........trouble is seem to be saying that too often about him