Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Petracca

I hope we get petracca then go for a lamb or another aggressive mid. Boyd too much a risk. Still hasn't shown much at AFL level. No point having a good to great forward if we can't get it to them.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:The hot rumour is we are chasing Tom Boyd with our first pick (99% will be pick 1). We put a lot of work into securing pick 1 to get Boyd last year but failed. Going hard again this year and if we don't get him we'll go again next year when his contract expires. If the rumour is true I dare say we've got a big offer put forward to his management and we'll get him either this year or next year.
This was mentioned on BF as well. Hope it is true ! :P
But guys, what's wrong with having our cake and eating it too???

That way, come start of season 2016 we'll have Boyd... and Petracca. :twisted:

Listen to Gordon...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
70s sainter
Club Player

If cameron or boyd has indicated the eventually want out of gws and back to melb , then gws could trade one of them to us for petrecca who they would want ..................and still pick up mc cartin or wright with pick 3.
That way they would still have 3 big forwards and petrecca. Long term it could be less risk for them to do that.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

I reckon it's coming down to either take Petrecca at #1 as the best available, or alternatively we trade 1 to GWS for their first and and a player. Then we take one if the talls (say Wright) at 4ish. They won't deal one of their forwards though.

Foz
Club Player

U18 Champs - Petracca avg 25 possessions, 14 kicks, 11 handballs

468 average metres gained (elite)

5.4 marks (elite)

9.8 contested, 15.2 uncontested.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Do you have his kicking efficiency stat?
Is he in the same class as Lenny, Monty, Dal, BJ, Banger etc for hitting targets?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Do you have his kicking efficiency stat?
Is he in the same class as Lenny, Monty, Dal, BJ, Banger etc for hitting targets?
He ain't elite. Booming kick with hurt factor like Siposs but not creative like Billings. I think he was under 70% in the carnival but still okay considering a large portion is contested.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would go for a trade with GWS for a player and pick 3, or with GC for picks 8 and 16. I would do both. Get pick 3 from GWS and a player OR pick 20 or 23, then trade pick 3 with a sweetener, with GC for picks 8 and 16, and their 2nd rounder, about pick 28. So overall. for picks 1 and 39 we end up with a player or pick 20 or 23, picks 8 and 16 and 28.
Add to that our own 2nd round pick, say 21, and we are in a really strong position with the draft.
Last edited by borderbarry on Mon 25 Aug 2014 11:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreous
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:After White's improved VFL form and solid debut combined with Patton's injury, I am really hoping we go for Petracca with one. I'd love to watch this kind of team play a year of footy, developing and improving:

B: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
HB: Fisher, Bruce, Webster
C: Riewoldt, Armitage, Wright
HF: Billings, Stanley, Lee
F: Petracca, White, Templeton

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Gilbert, Savage, Montagna, Weller

Emg: Acres, Longer, Curren, Ray, Murdoch, Ross, Saunders, Siposs, Simpkin, Shenton, Roberton

Looks like a lot of potential!!!!!!

SaintWodonga
Club Player

How could you leave out Newnes? He's really come on well in 2014!

mad saint guy wrote:
After White's improved VFL form and solid debut combined with Patton's injury, I am really hoping we go for Petracca with one. I'd love to watch this kind of team play a year of footy, developing and improving:

B: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
HB: Fisher, Bruce, Webster
C: Riewoldt, Armitage, Wright
HF: Billings, Stanley, Lee
F: Petracca, White, Templeton

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Gilbert, Savage, Montagna, Weller

Emg: Acres, Longer, Curren, Ray, Murdoch, Ross, Saunders, Siposs, Simpkin, Shenton, Roberton

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Megamaguire
Club Player

Petracca (Harvey) Boyd (Rooey) ?

Old mate the Boyd scenario in exchange for Nb 1 pick which could well mean Petracca going up north and playing Rd. 1 2015 is an interesting one alright as the new northern side could make much quicker progress into finals contention etc. They could have a real dilemma here!
Now looking at replacing Rooey - first how likely is it McCartin and Wright could either be as influential? No Idea of coarse but if either as good as the man with the big heart then Yes! Up above I have Petracca as a comparison to Harvey. Harvey started his career looking very strong as a teenager and the rest is history So...if the brains trust feel Petracca is cut from the same silk then again YES!

Problem is the club has to go one way here.
There seems to be a lot of love for Petracca and the sense that our midfield is being built on very firmm foundations.

G O O D L U C K S A I N T S R E C R U I T E R S :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not the greatest article.
Not sure how we get 3 picks inside 20 if we swap pick 1 to GWS for 3 & 20? Unless the author knows something we don't and isn't telling?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 31 Aug 2014 1:35am, edited 3 times in total.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Cheers brat.
What are peoples thoughts on Brayshaw? Having only seen highlights of the top 4 prospects, Brayshaw would be my clear favourite. Seems to hit up targets on both feet.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea but to me it seems like last year was a Super Draft and this year is the opposite of a Super Draft (whatever that is).

Maybe we wait until the camp and see how they perform in testing. But is seems very underwhelming.

The whole top 10 from last year might end up guns. 5 of them are already on their way.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Not sure how we get 3 picks inside 20 if we swap pick 1 to GWS for 3 & 20? Unless the author knows something we don't and isn't telling?
And he only mentions one pick we got for McEvoy when the trade was ultimately for 18+19 = Dunstan+Acres.

That said, his point is basically correct. We screw up what we do with pick one and it pushes the rebuild out a year or two. We need to get a 200 game player with that pick.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Prior to any compensation picks our second pick is 19. I assume he means that one, although if Melbourne get a priority pick our second could move to 20.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Goddard Magic
Club Player

Of course, to get first choice we would have to finish last.

There's still today.

howlinwolf
Club Player

We have conceded over 100pts every game on average this year.
We could pick up the best forward there has ever been and we'd still be getting smashed. Our midfield has allowed too much pressure on our defence.
I think we need to get the midfield right first.

Hopefully Dunstan and Acres keep improving but we need more quality in there.
I think Pertracca is the pick for us. If our midfield is bolstered we can then have a better view of our backline and if it needs improvement.
We can swing the forward line for a while with Roo,Stanley,Lee and White.
We aren't going to be challenging for a while yet.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Prior to any compensation picks our second pick is 19. I assume he means that one, although if Melbourne get a priority pick our second could move to 20.
are Essendon locked out of Rd 1 of the draft as part of penalty?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Caveat: As ever, this is a personal assessment made from the outside looking in, and I fully accept that our recruiters have more info than I.

I really really like the overall principle of the swapping first draft picks with the GWoganS, plus getting two of their young players.

Weight of numbers to maximise our odds of landing a top player/s. The overall tactic is excellent.

But this time around...
The two blokes named have shown nothing to date.
I would also dearly hope that we don't end up with one-trick-pony (quite possibly no-trick-pont) McCartin.

All things considered... don't do it Saintas!

I want Petracca!

Compromise Saintas: Unless we are looking to when they come out of contract (end of 2015 season?) and pouncing them, I would ditch the two blokes named in the 'stories' and substitute Cameron or Sheil. (Whomever would be hardest to get at the end of 2015.)
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Wed 03 Sep 2014 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Would we do the deal for Treloar??

All of the talk is trading No. 1 for a forward, or keeping it and taking a mid, but what if we trade it for a mid??

Would we need to sweeten the deal?? Maybe 1 and 19 for Treloar and 21 or something like that??

santazzi
Club Player

Hey Dave Mc.....I just noticed when you write GWS, next to the W there is a little four letter subscript/mathematical notation "ogan". What does it signify?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Hey Dave Mc.....I just noticed when you write GWS, next to the W there is a little four letter subscript/mathematical notation "ogan". What does it signify?
Hi San', it's actually Wogans, as in Western (Sydney) bogans = Wogans. (The term is not my creation, but I wish I had thought of it. :lol: )

The 'G' is for Greater (ha, ha, should be lesser) and the 'S' is for Sydney. I add those letters 'Wogan' so that SS's beloved Devil's Advocate, Pluggsy, doesn't get too confused.

The title is intended as a mark of my contempt for any and all, of the AFL's artificial plastic soulless bastard love-child creations. :evil:

(I believe that I'm no longer a vindictive person at all..., but my being magnanimous still goes proudly right out the window when it comes to non-Saintas footy matters. :wink: )

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
santazzi wrote:Hey Dave Mc.....I just noticed when you write GWS, next to the W there is a little four letter subscript/mathematical notation "ogan". What does it signify?
Hi San', it's actually Wogans, as in Western (Sydney) bogans = Wogans. (The term is not my creation, but I wish I had thought of it. :lol: )

The 'G' is for Greater (ha, ha, should be lesser) and the 'S' is for Sydney. I add those letters 'Wogan' so that SS's beloved Devil's Advocate, Pluggsy, doesn't get too confused.

The title is intended as a mark of my contempt for any and all, of the AFL's artificial plastic soulless bastard love-child creations. :evil:

(I believe that I'm no longer a vindictive person at all..., but my being magnanimous still goes proudly right out the window when it comes to non-Saintas footy matters. :wink: )

Dave you can call them what you like. I just pointed out 2 things. half the time I think posters and have no idea what you are talking about and more importantly none of the names are funny. Like I told another stick to knock knock jokes.