Eli has nerve damage!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eli has nerve damage!

Article on saints website says he's back in full training next week and the nerve damage should pass.

It better otherwise he's cactus.

Big risk promoting him to the senior list IMO given this, unless of course it clears up over the next few months.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Re: Eli has nerve damage!

I'm not a doctor but I assume nerve damage is a very dangerous thing to be playing with & Eli's short term future is in question until it fully heals.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Depends which nerves are damaged, but mostly it's no big deal.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saint wagga
Club Player

The nerve damaged would be to the radial nerve which wraps around the humerus (upper arm bone) and is often damaged with spiral fractures of this kind because it basically follows the surface if the bone and can get cut, squashed partially severed or just irritated at the point of fracture by the edge of the bone fragment...it can also be damaged or irritated in the surgical fixation of the fracture, as the article explained, there's a crapload of hardware that is needed to stabilise this sort of break and being so close to the nerve if can be collateral damage sometimes! Given he's back at training, the ongoing issues would be fairly minimal I would imagine, because if severe, you have a limp wrist and finger straightening muscles as well as weakened elbow straighteners, so severe damage is unlikely. One concer would be or going irritation from scar tissue or from the implanted steel hardware...only time will tell if that resolves completely...another concern would be the risk of re-injury at a mechanical weak spot...given Eli's age and conservative approach by the team medics, it's likely they want to give the bone as long as possible to remodel around the hardware and develop maximum strength before serious contact work, as the article said its a rare footy injury, more commonly a high velocity trauma in young people or a fall in older people, so I think everyone will be a bit unsure hoe it will go long term...fingers are crossed!!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Not good news.

I had a serious bike crash when I was 13 at a school camp, I broke my arm in to places, broke the shoulder joint, dislocated a shoulder and hyperextended an elbow and 11 years later I am still suffering for it.

The bone close to my wrist healed crooked because the teachers refused to take me to the hospital after several request, I've had to have a few shoulder operations including a shoulder reco and it is looking like an elbow operation is on the cards.

The worst part though is the nerve pain in my shoulder, it is mind numbing pain to the point where I once lost consciousness.

Fingers crossed Eli can get over his because they can become permanent impairments without proper treatment.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saint wagga
Club Player

I posted this not long after Eli did his injury in an earlier thread...doc larkins look out!!""

Breaking the humerus is a really bad injury, very unusual from a rotation/twisting type mechanism in footy, more common in oldies. The wierd force and angle that went through to break a young mans arm must have been very unique. Looking at the slomo, it looked like a dislocation of the shoulder may have been more likely...without knowing exactly where the fracture occured. The club have been very vague on detail, i haven't been able to find anywhere as to which part of the humerus was fractured and wheather there was any soft tissue injury at either the shoulder of elbow, but for it to require surgery, the fracture must have been relatively unstable (bad) and looking at the mechanism of injury, it could have caused a spiral type fracture which again would probably lengthen recovery time...I would think absolute best case 3 months, worst 6 months with lots of complications to elbow and or shoulder...UNfortunately, it'll also limit his ability to really streangth that arm (Left) for quite some time...but hopefully it's stable enough with fixation that he can be cycling on a stationary cycle and then running at about the 6-8week mark. Would love some details if anyone is in the know.""

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote: Big risk promoting him to the senior list IMO given this, unless of course it clears up over the next few months.
Are you a doctor?

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Thanks saint wagga, great info…

Fingers crossed for the young guy, no need to rush him by any means.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: Big risk promoting him to the senior list IMO given this, unless of course it clears up over the next few months.
Are you a doctor?
Yes

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Are you a doctor?
Yes

Quite so, I've seen your van

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

People on here should stop trying to pretend they're Doctors! :roll:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

You tell 'em, Doc!... Damn fraudsters!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:People on here should stop trying to pretend they're Doctors! :roll:
:)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Worrisome news.

Saints drs dont have the best track record atm.

'Gilbo - yeah great healer. No worries hell be back in two weeks. Err umm ok. s***. Make that 12 weeks.'

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur doctors :wink: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Worrisome news.

Saints drs dont have the best track record atm.

'Gilbo - yeah great healer. No worries hell be back in two weeks. Err umm ok. s***. Make that 12 weeks.'

Pretty sure most if not all clubs make mistakes with players. reckon the Hawks have giot Rioli wrong a few times. People do realise nerve damage can certainly repair itself. If you have ever cut yourself badly the area can be numb for ages because of nerve damage but then repairs itself. I would suggest that there wouldnt be much to worry about.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Barracking for the Saints my nerves were shredded years ago

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

See Dr SP! :wink: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Worrisome news.
I don't know if you're qualified to make this comment... Are you a journalist?