The Recruit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

The Recruit

Starting tonight on Fox 8, it's a very interesting concept and realistically unlikely to be all that successfully.

However, players have often come from strange pathways, and it could be that a future player will be unveiled.

What are people's thoughts now, and hopefully this discussion can be continued as the program is aired. (Note: the program has already been recorded some months ago)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Recruit

Maybe this will be our draft compo

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

How do they guarantee an AFL contract to the winner? And how is it decided who offers the contract?

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Which team does the player go to?

SunburySaint
Club Player

I think from what I have heard the player would be picked up in ether PSD or Rookie draft..... Eddie is flapping his mouth about Collingwood not having preference considering its his media company that is running it.... so I would say the winner will go to collingwood...

Now lives in Geelong...
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe a bidding system with the highest bid (pick or player) going to the bottom placed team, sort of like the 17 year old mini drafts. Remember kids looking to get recruited this way would have had the same pathway as Isaac Smith, so it's not a complete waste of time imo if another Smith is unearthed...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
FQF
SS Life Member

All very unclear how it will work, and it will all depend on whether the winner is enticing to the recruiters.

I have no idea how they can guarantee a contract, perhaps if there is no interest the AFL will implore a club to take the player as a rookie and the AFL will pay the contract. The player will be allowed to be a Category B Rookie.

See here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-15/s ... he-recruit

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:All very unclear how it will work, and it will all depend on whether the winner is enticing to the recruiters.

I have no idea how they can guarantee a contract, perhaps if there is no interest the AFL will implore a club to take the player as a rookie and the AFL will pay the contract. The player will be allowed to be a Category B Rookie.

See here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-15/s ... he-recruit
Effing monkeys.

So how do they decide who gets first bid?

Do the teams bid a first second or third round rookie pick like father son in the maon draft and whoever has the highest pick wins perhaps?

Surely the rules could be decided by now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Waylen Manson

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Waylen Manson was nearly drafted but i think from memory he didnt turn up to the draft camp deciding to stay at home in the Kimberly

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I can't see how a bidding system would work unless they had a guarantee from one of the clubs. What if nobody wanted to bid? How could they guarantee a contract?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I can't see how a bidding system would work unless they had a guarantee from one of the clubs. What if nobody wanted to bid? How could they guarantee a contract?
True.
I'm watching the show on Fox 8+2
My god are there some mature aged hacks on this show!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
elizabethr
Club Player

Tyrone Armitage !

nothing to say
gringo
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Tyrone Armitage !

Relative? What's the connection to our Armo?

Batnoe
Club Player

Same last name.
The only connection.
Oh. And they play AFL

Carn Saints
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Reverse racism at its finest.

Can the show move away from Waylen Manson at all please?

If I wanted to watch a socially-awkward boy who plays football 'just to see girls' coupled with terrible body language butchering english I would watch something else.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Reverse racism at its finest.

If I wanted to watch a socially-awkward boy who plays football 'just to see girls' coupled with terrible body language butchering english I would watch something else.
Agree. Wayward is no chance of winning it.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

Agree. Wayward is no chance of winning it.
There is definitely a disproportionate focus on him, and it is plainly obvious why. But the show needs to have diverse characters in order to succeed and ideally they want the audience to "fall in love" with some of them. That is why the three people singled out at the start (who also made the final 12) were: Princess Mary's cousin, the nail-painting pole dancer and Waylen.

The other thing is, I'm not sure how you can say he has no chance of winning it. The show is all about creating an elite mindset, and perhaps they will succeed with him. After all, he is the only contestant who was a legitimate early draft pick a few years ago. Definitely a chance.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I haven't watched it but what is reverse racism about him being featured? Is it because he's aboriginal and featured? I would imagine he's featured because it's of interest that he comes from a completely different way of life to a city boy who went through junior footy then private schooling and TAC cup. If you had 20 players like that it would be a boring production. I don't think you get reverse racism.

I don't think he's begging to be recognised as a n aboriginal I think he's trying to become an AFL footballer on his skills and talent. The fact you want him removed from the show because he is getting more airtime than a white person is more racist.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Princess Mary's cuz is a potential gun. He'll be rookie listed by someone regardless of how he goes in this show.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Princess Mary's cuz is a potential gun. He'll be rookie listed by someone regardless of how he goes in this show.
Do you know him or is that based on the 30 seconds of footage they showed of him playing?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Princess Mary's cuz is a potential gun. He'll be rookie listed by someone regardless of how he goes in this show.
Do you know him or is that based on the 30 seconds of footage they showed of him playing?
At least 3 minutes of footage.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Armitage very good footy player. Probably the best but I suspect a project player like the ex vollyballer or the tall forward from country SA will win it.

Last edited by Old Mate on Thu 17 Jul 2014 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

He's socially awkward because he lives in one of the remotest parts of our country and maybe he butchers the English language because he speaks his indigenous language.
Get a clue before you write such rubbish