Richo's post- match video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oldie60
Club Player

Re: Richo's post- match video

I detect a bit of the old mongrel get angry mentality.Not such a bad thing and definitely missing in recent times.Not much aggression shown towards the man with the pill.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
oldie60 wrote:I know we are pretty ordinary at the moment and difficult to put a gauge on performance but even when we do show something i have difficulty working out what if any is our game plan because nothing seems different. This has been previously raised some months ago about what is our game plan or style.
Kick it to Roo.
Kick it to Roo's boots, or 3 metres over his head!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Rolls out the sane stuff each week. Its time to start publically challenging individuals within the group and stop giving them excuses eg we are a developing list ....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Rolls out the sane stuff each week. Its time to start publically challenging individuals within the group and stop giving them excuses eg we are a developing list ....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Rolls out the sane stuff each week. Its time to start publically challenging individuals within the group and stop giving them excuses eg we are a developing list ....

Yep because what he tells us he tells the player group. Seriously dont you think he tells them home truths. Im unsure we need to know exactly what he says unless of course it will make you feel better.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The lack of "team" intensity is clearly evident and that's worrying.

Continuous "effort" is not skills related (although good skills help), so it's a big challenge for the new Coach and his team.

It's a long year, we have injuries, the new guys are underdone, we are getting thrashed every week now. Isn't there some incentive there for the team to lift the effort to change things - or have they simply "given up" :?: :?: :?: I hope not :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Here's the thing I don't get.

Richo is supposed to be defensively minded, in the Lyon like style.

So why can't we at least do a Melbourne, and prevent such big thrashings?

Where is the defensive mindset?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I look at guys like Dempster and Gwilt and wonder just how much of toll playing on much bigger opponents over the year has taken.
Neither are the players they were a year or so ago.
Just get the feeling some of the experienced players who have been use to playing in finals have simply lost interest in playing and are just going through the motions.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

best message I've seen from Richo this season.....passengers=unacceptable....mediocrity=unacceptable.....lack of endeavour=unacceptable......

.....everyone would agree that Bakes was never the most skilled player in the Saints lineup.....but he overshadowed his shortcomings through sheer tenacity and courage.......

Saints have lost their 'mongrel'....... get Bakes back as 'tackling coach'.....

The Saints created 'Forward Pressure' in the last decade.... there was a time when the opposition simply couldn't get it out of our forward 50....... that wasn't a result of flashy skills......that was a result of guts, determination and bloody hard work!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Here's the thing I don't get.

Richo is supposed to be defensively minded, in the Lyon like style.

So why can't we at least do a Melbourne, and prevent such big thrashings?

Where is the defensive mindset?
We're pretty much at where Melbourne were a year or two ago. They got an abundance of thrashings. Looks like it'll the same type of ordeal for us before we become more competitive.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:best message I've seen from Richo this season.....passengers=unacceptable....mediocrity=unacceptable.....lack of endeavour=unacceptable......

.....everyone would agree that Bakes was never the most skilled player in the Saints lineup.....but he overshadowed his shortcomings through sheer tenacity and courage.......

The Saints created 'Forward Pressure' in the last decade.... there was a time when the opposition simply couldn't get it out of our forward 50....... that wasn't a result of flashy skills......that was a result of guts, determination and bloody hard work!!
Simpkin has mongrel, I wish we'd persisted bakes fan

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
BakesFan wrote:best message I've seen from Richo this season.....passengers=unacceptable....mediocrity=unacceptable.....lack of endeavour=unacceptable......

Yes but as a backman. He could easily replace Roberton or Jimmy but may not get the ball enough to do that. Looks more like a stopper but love his hardness.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Great Post Bakesfan! GREAT!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Our tackling coach is an Olympian who has spent time at her Majesties request. He's got enough mongrel I can assure you.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

We've lost our way for the moment, jiggster.... we'll get back on track. :-)

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:We've lost our way for the moment, jiggster.... we'll get back on track. :-)
Hold your nerve BakesFan. Dave and I discussed this at the end of yesterdays game.

Will not accept yesterdays insipid performance, but will not just simply bag out the players and club.

Difference between getting behind the club and accepting what happened yesterday.

I will continue to be dissapointed and wont accept things like yesterday, but will ALWAYS get behind my great club.

I KNOW supporters like you and Dave are the same

You are garbage - Enough said
BakesFan
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
Our tackling coach is an Olympian who has spent time at her Majesties request. He's got enough mongrel I can assure you.
....good to hear, tony74....... but is the message getting through?..... I reckon Bakes would even give Armo a clip if he wasn't showing enough.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yes but as a backman. He could easily replace Roberton or Jimmy but may not get the ball enough to do that. Looks more like a stopper but love his hardness.
Me too

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
BakesFan wrote:We've lost our way for the moment, jiggster.... we'll get back on track. :-)
Hold your nerve BakesFan. Dave and I discussed this at the end of yesterdays game.

Will not accept yesterdays insipid performance, but will not just simply bag out the players and club.

Difference between getting behind the club and accepting what happened yesterday.

I will continue to be dissapointed and wont accept things like yesterday, but will ALWAYS get behind my great club.

I KNOW supporters like you and Dave are the same
Grew up in East Bentleigh in the 70's and 80's, Bunk....... I will always follow this club....I can accept defeat.... I can't accept lack of endeavour.... I can accept young players making mistakes...... I can't accept senior players butchering it because of perceived pressure.

Foz
Club Player

Turnovers.....16 goals 1 behind....its clear Richo is clearly frustrated with the defensive pressure, something that he prides his team as showing week in, week out.

Turnovers are the result of intensity, poor skills (coughing ball up under pressure, real or perceived) and then an inability to defend. The ability to defend has an element of leg speed associated with it, having the ability to get back to offer a contest. High turnover scores can also be due to the opposition being clinical by hand & foot e.g. Hawthorn

The one element we can dismiss quickly is that Carlton are clinical. Prior to this round they were the 4th highest in turnover scores against. They have an achilles heel, it just needs to be found under pressure. In a recent game v Collingwood, Carlton had 90 turnovers (afl average approx 65) They are only as good as the pressure applied to them. As far as planning for this game, that pressure is the key to bring them undone and why, in a season of low scoring and high contested footy, Carlton have struggled.

Leg speed is a real issue and the result of a pedestrian midfield is that we lack the ability to get back and compete.

In a game against Gold Coast earlier in the season, turnover scores were 81 to 22 or 22 shots on goal to 7.

The games like the West Coast game where turnover scores were 68 to 50 or 18 shots on goal to 15. We were inept the week before v Geelong and played the intensity required. As soon as we are "comfortable" with effort, it seemingly drops off.

For mine its the intensity at the contest and the ability to defend that is frustrating our coach, and rightly so.

saintmont
Club Player

Hi, I was at the game montagna got hit a beauty on the just below were we were sitting I took the wind right out of him. And how about playing Lee ff ,Stanley chf and roo HFF.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Foz wrote: . As soon as we are "comfortable" with effort, it seemingly drops off.
For mine its the intensity at the contest and the ability to defend that is frustrating our coach, and rightly so.
Agree with this. I didn't see the game live but just watched a replay of the second quarter (I'm sorry but I couldn't bring myself to watch the second half). The last 20 minutes of that quarter was actually not bad. We kicked 4 unanswered goals, players were linking up, we had multiple options up forward and were getting results. Even Stanley and TDL contributed. It showed what they can do when they want to.
Unfortunately they can't sustain it at the moment. Not sure why they can play like that for 20 minutes and then produce a second half they way they did. I'm sure it's annoying Alan Richardson. Might see a few more changes this week.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.