Scott Watters interview on footy show tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters interview on footy show tonight

This will be interesting.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Scott Watters interview on footy show tonight

kosifantutti wrote:This will be interesting.
Unless he's already been paid out in full, I would be hoping for more "respectful" Watterspin. :shock:
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Thu 03 Jul 2014 10:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Any update? I couldn't bear to watch. :?

Always loyal
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Just another media cheap shot at St Kilda. Pretty old news, too. Why don't they wheel out Kevin Bartlett and interview him about his sacking from the Richmond coaching job? It'd be as equally relevant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm open minded. A little each way.

Maybe hes a little a psychopath or maybe our club is mental.

1 flag in 120 years tells me dont trust everything our club chugs out.

I'll call it a 50:50.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm open minded. A little each way.

Maybe hes a little a psychopath or maybe our club is mental.

1 flag in 120 years tells me dont trust everything our club chugs out.

I'll call it a 50:50.
What did he say?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Just another media cheap shot at St Kilda. Pretty old news, too. Why don't they wheel out Kevin Bartlett and interview him about his sacking from the Richmond coaching job? It'd be as equally relevant.

Im sure everyone tried to interview KB when he was sacked. Im amazed it took so long because it is news. very interesting news IMO. Dont see it as a cheap shot at all.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Its that important that a google search brings up this thread only haha

Before Im 85
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Its that important that a google search brings up this thread only haha

and The Footy Show haven't immediatly gone out and put a snippett on line,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SunburySaint
Club Player

found this on the AFl website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-03/i ... ll-watters
SCOTT Watters has revealed it wasn't his decision to part with key players Nick Dal Santo, Brendon Goddard and Ben McEvoy during his time as St Kilda coach.

Watters, sacked by the Saints last year after two years as coach, said it was "sad" that the trio was now elsewhere, Dal Santo at North Melbourne, Goddard at Essendon and McEvoy at Hawthorn.

"The head coach at St Kilda has limited impact on who stays on the list and who doesn't," Watters told The Footy Show.

"I think it is sad fabric players of your footy club, BJ (Goddard), Dal and certainly Benny aren't there.

Interesting read... Nothing we didn't already know any way, I wonder when he will come out explain the feud between he and the Pelican..

Now lives in Geelong...
Saint wagga
Club Player

The timing sucks...sink the boot in when we are at our lowest ebb! Only self serving, I mean i know the media go hunting for it, it's a juicy story and easy cannon fodder, but if Watters was genuine and 'over it', why no just maintain his silence. The only thing the interview will do is create more speculation, as he can't actually 'give his opinion of everything' because he took our hush money/severance pay with confidentiality clause would have been more than straight severance pay! All it does it dredge up the crap from late last year, agreed not our clubs finest moment, but I really believe that it was 'rock bottom' from a total club perspective...since then it's been all positive, good people in the right places...the last piece of the rebuild is the teams improved performance. Seeing that smirky used car salesman/politician style of speak from Watters last night reminded me why i wasn't sad to see him go at all!

For those who missed it...the whole interview will be on the sunday footy show...
Snippets included - Differences of philosophy with Pelican on how a footclub should be run, but can't comment directly on Chris Pelican
- Didn't have much say in Dal, BJ and Ben going, he didn't agree, called them fabric of the club players, can despirit a list losing them
- He doesn't dwell on the events of last year

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SW obviously didn't do his homeworkl before taking the job- CCP had already been in position before he took the wellpaid job

his mouthpiece Dermie still manages to make his feelings known without saying too much,........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i actually agree with his comments

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Legendary
Club Player

What a nutcase.

His "starkly different philosophies include":
- Not telling the interchange and emergency players who would be taking the field until 45 mins before a game
- Acting with disrespect towards club staff
- Training during the week for a particular game style and then giving instructions at quarter time to play a different style
- Berating young players for mistakes because they weren't obeying his mid-match "gameplan update"
- Publicly saying one thing about his attitude towards certain players, and then doing the opposite behind closed doors
- Selecting players/making decisions and statements about "controversy" before checking with his bosses
- Employing staff without approval from the board or CEO

Delusional at best.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We'll it sounds like he has contradicted himself on BJ.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... 26wa1.html

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

You cannot tell me that Watters did not fall out with BJ and Dal and was probably a primary reason for both players leaving.

Mac was not up to standard so regardless of any 'leadership', he was not worth the time and effort.

Now languishing in the Hawthorn 2s...???

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

So he would not have traded Goddard, McEvoy & Dal, meaning we would not have recruited Hickey, Wright, Dunstan, Acres and Delaney. Thank god we sacked him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:What a nutcase.

- Not telling the interchange and emergency players who would be taking the field until 45 mins before a game
- Training during the week for a particular game style and then giving instructions at quarter time to play a different style
- Berating young players for mistakes because they weren't obeying his mid-match "gameplan update"
- Publicly saying one thing about his attitude towards certain players, and then doing the opposite behind closed doors
- Selecting players/making decisions and statements about "controversy" before checking with his bosses

Delusional at best.
Gawd, if that's the case Barassi and Blight wouldn't have had premiership coaching gigs. Who told you all this- a mate, someone who knows someone who know a bloke at the club, someone who knows one of the player's mates?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Legendary wrote:What a nutcase.

Delusional at best.
Gawd, if that's the case Barassi and Blight wouldn't have had premiership coaching gigs. Who told you all this- a mate, someone who knows someone who know a bloke at the club, someone who knows one of the player's mates?

Not sure Blight and Barassi did much of what was mentioned there. Havent all of that but have heard some of it. Nothing surprises me with SW.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:The timing sucks...sink the boot in when we are at our lowest ebb! Only self serving, I mean i know the media go hunting for it, it's a juicy story and easy cannon fodder, but if Watters was genuine and 'over it', why not just maintain his silence. The only thing the interview will do is create more speculation, as he can't actually 'give his opinion of everything' because he took our hush money/severance pay with confidentiality clause would have been more than straight severance pay! All it does it dredge up the crap from late last year, agreed not our clubs finest moment, but I really believe that it was 'rock bottom' from a total club perspective...since then it's been all positive, good people in the right places...the last piece of the rebuild is the teams improved performance. Seeing that smirky used car salesman/politician style of speak from Watters last night reminded me why i wasn't sad to see him go at all!
Yeah, stuff him. Good riddance.

janrich

The Redeemer wrote:You cannot tell me that Watters did not fall out with BJ and Dal and was probably a primary reason for both players leaving.

Mac was not up to standard so regardless of any 'leadership', he was not worth the time and effort.

Now languishing in the Hawthorn 2s...???

I agree with The Redeemer - do not think there was any love lost between BJ, Dal and SW. BJ stated that there were "other things" (apart from the money) that made him leave St. Kilda. Had Lyon remained IMO BJ would probably still be there, ditto Dal. Never heard BJ say anything positive about SW. However we have had some good pick-ups and have to move on.

SunburySaint
Club Player

I'm going to start by saying that the following statement is something I was told one of my friends (who is a West Coast fan) who "knew" some one at the club during this time. So read into it what you will:

Mid 2012 Watters had asked Roo, Dal and BJ to do a "mid season" progress report on how the team was tracking, the recruits and what was needed for the future to further develop the club. When they came back, BJ did a presentation on what they thought would be the areas of improvment on and off field and apparently the inconsistent messages and coaching style was something that they focussed on from a players point of view. I have heard that Watters was not too pleased with and apparently lost the plot with being provided constructive criticism and dismissed going any further into the presentation. It was then he apparently had a dim view of BJ, not sure why he signalled out BJ alone as apparently Roo and Dal had a say in it, but he did. This caused BJ to want out if Watters was coach, Roo and Dal apparently had the same view... Reading into it if watters wasnt sacked Roo may be in Collingwood Colours this year. I may also be wrong.

As I stated this isnt something I know from direct involvement from any one at the club, purely one of those situations where a friend "knows/knew" someone at the club. Could all be codswallop or could have some truth.

Maybe someone here with a bit more knowledge could confirm or tell me its incorrect and to be on my way....

Now lives in Geelong...
Legendary
Club Player

spert wrote: Gawd, if that's the case Barassi and Blight wouldn't have had premiership coaching gigs. Who told you all this- a mate, someone who knows someone who know a bloke at the club, someone who knows one of the player's mates?
One of our directors, to my face, at a business function unrelated to the Saints.

SW was a dud. Wonder which WAFL club he joins next year?

And BJ had no time for Watters. Disliked him. Rated him so low that it was as much of a factor as anything else in leaving. He also didn't like the contract length we were willing to offer him (3 years max) but SW was a factor.

My source for that one? BJ.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Legendary wrote: but SW was a factor.

My source for that one? BJ.
of course the big three were p!ssed
Watters told them they hadnt achieved anything - and then the sulky slide started...
(Its ok Im braced for the barrage 8-) )

Seeya
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Wasn't a great comment considering his playing career!

PADDLEPOP1000