No 1 Draft Pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: No 1 Draft Pick

Powers that b already know1-3. We are still not a lock for 1. , but definitely top 3. If KPP available get him as need roo replacement. Look at haw v Richmond in roughy draft .

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i remember we once traded the number 1 pick to hawthorn for three dropkicks....harding, russo and handley if my memory is not fading \

...think handley played about 4 or 5 games, ...harding wasn't too bad for a couple of years but the come home factor meant he did better for the weagles......russo played 30 odd ordinary games.........

...nah.... keep the no 1 pick ffs.....
To think we could have had Alex McDonald.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintSimmo
Club Player

wright is a good player but he is a ruckman, not many players make it as a key target forward at 202cm.

Sainter for life.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stinger wrote:i remember we once traded the number 1 pick to hawthorn for three dropkicks....harding, russo and handley if my memory is not fading \

...think handley played about 4 or 5 games, ...harding wasn't too bad for a couple of years but the come home factor meant he did better for the weagles......russo played 30 odd ordinary games.........

...nah.... keep the no 1 pick ffs.....
To think we could have had Alex McDonald.
well...he was better than the other three

...maybe we would have drafted someone like todd brennan or leon cameron

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Do GWS and GC still have picks at the top of the tree this year?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Do GWS and GC still have picks at the top of the tree this year?
yes...extra picks somewhere in round one or at the end of it....

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Paul Harding was no dud Stinger.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Paul Harding was no dud Stinger.
yep i know that...but he went home after three years and starred in the weagles grannie in 92.......cost us a shot at the flag in 91 allowing that blow-hard brownless kick a bagful......what was it 10 or 11 goals...guess paul wasn't a centrehalf back's bumhole

...never forgave hin..neither did the saints...bit like jamie shanahan in 97.... or guerra against the swans in the prelim final in 05...none of them got to play for the saints again

was harding worth a no 1 draft pick.....?..of course not......

we have been bent over for years.....two duds for russell green and any number of duds for plugger....think they see us coming...remember grant thomas being amused when he copped abuse from a couple of clubs for not trading the no 1 pick or any of our other picks in the 2000 draft...the rich powerful clubs thought we were getting uppity and beyond our station in life.....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

he has been the stand out in his age group for years...and will be at years end....wait and see...

during the gws brissie game they virtually called it the wright cup but said he was a 2 to 3 year project player....
Maybe the word 'standout' was taken literally because he is so tall

BUT

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:

he has been the stand out in his age group for years...and will be at years end....wait and see...

during the gws brissie game they virtually called it the wright cup but said he was a 2 to 3 year project player....
Maybe the word 'standout' was taken literally because he is so tall

BUT

my mind had turned to that possibility........there are heaps of articles on him actually...the boy does have outstanding abilities....or so i'm told....not seen him play ....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well I hope he comes out and dominates - suits our needs and takes away any issues about who to get but we need him to actually do it on the field - not just herald sun hype..

sainter#4
Club Player

Would any one do pick 1 + Stevens for Shiel + Patton/Boyd + late first rounder?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:Would any one do pick 1 + Stevens for Shiel + Patton/Boyd + late first rounder?
I guess depends where Boyd or Patton are rated.

If our recruitment people were 100% certain that one of them was going to be an absolute guaranteed gun - then yes.

But on the face of it - it looks like a swap with no real purpose? Just puts both sides in an almost identical position to what they would be in without doing the trade. Thats how I see it anyways.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:Would any one do pick 1 + Stevens for Shiel + Patton/Boyd + late first rounder?
I guess it depends where Boyd or Patton are rated.

If our recruitment people were 100% certain that one of them (Boyd or Patton) was going to be an absolute guaranteed gun - and we got the good one then yes.

But on the face of it - it looks like a swap with no real purpose? Just puts both sides in an almost identical position to what they would be in without doing the trade. Thats how I see it anyways.

I mean what if we got the rubbish one (of Boyd and Patton) and they kept the good one. That would be an utter disaster.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 Jun 2014 2:57am, edited 2 times in total.

saintjake
Club Player

Everything I have read about this years draft candidates, it seems a very open field with no obvious standouts.

With out lack of key forwards and outside run, would it be crazy to think that the Pelican might look at trading pick 1 for 2 picks in the top 10?

Would it be possible?

Would it be worth it?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Everything I have read about this years draft candidates, it seems a very open field with no obvious standouts.

With out lack of key forwards and outside run, would it be crazy to think that the Pelican might look at trading pick 1 for 2 picks in the top 10?

Would it be possible?

Would it be worth it?
I seriously think it would be considered.

If the recruitment staff dont rate anyone as a standout - then we would clearly better off with two top 10s.

Just common sense to double your odds.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
noob wrote:Apparently there is no standout which is a bit of worry at this point. Just our luck.

wright is the standout....
So far Wright has played 2 x games in Under 18 champs

Game 1
1 goal - not in best

Game 2
0 goals - not in best

Difficult to call him a 'standout'.

By contrast Boyd only played one game last year and kicked 6.

I'm pretty sure Wright just played his second game on Sat and kicked three goals with 20 odd hit outs playing mostly ruck and was one of the best.

Where did your stats come from? I don't think he played round 2 which is what I think you might be quoting...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

From what I hear from a recruiter at one of the big 2 Melb based clubs, Wright is the clear standout.

He may be 203cm but moves like someone Roo's height. Booming kick too.

I reckon we'll trade Stanley, take Wright & then hopefully take Ryan Bolton from SA next year (195cm athletic KF).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintjake wrote:Everything I have read about this years draft candidates, it seems a very open field with no obvious standouts.

Would it be possible?

Would it be worth it?
I seriously think it would be considered.

If the recruitment staff dont rate anyone as a standout - then we would clearly better off with two top 10s.

Just common sense to double your odds.

See i dont see this at all. I think its the completely wrong way of going about it. When we got Lee plus some other picks because really lee wasnt a pick 12. he was probably a pick 20-30 at least even though he was rated by one before the draft. We need stars not just numbers and getting rid of the highest pick to maybe get 9 and 10 doesnt do it for me. The lower the pick the more hope of the star. Even the Hickey trade was a little similar. Hickey may again become a star but he wasnt really a pick 13 but because we got upgraded picks we obviously went for it. And i know the 2 players who went for 12 and 13 havent done anything yet but who says we pick them.

Getting a number of picks may seem the right thing to do but there is more hope of 9 and 10 failing than 1 or 2. If there are no standouts try to trade for a stand out but dont get to higher picks to double the odds.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

do people think it's a good idea to go for key forwards/rucks?

I'm coming around a bit more to the idea of the Sydney model... young KPP are just too much of a risk for early picks... trade them for established forwards that you want I reckon.

Don't get me wrong, we all want the next Riewoldt/Kosi combo... but that seems more a fluke then the norm

Early picks should go towards some line breaking mids I reckon.

Who are the stand out mids atm?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

A yes from me, it's not as though I don't rate Jack, but he isn't absolute a grade, he has his deficiencies too. Shiel, well, I put him above Jack at this stage and is younger too (less runs on the board though).

So really, it's pick one for Patton/Boyd with a first rounder coming back to us. I put those two guys in front of Wright, so therefore its a yes.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
A yes from me, it's not as though I don't rate Jack, but he isn't absolute a grade, he has his deficiencies too. Shiel, well, I put him above Jack at this stage and is younger too (less runs on the board though).

So really, it's pick one for Patton/Boyd with a first rounder coming back to us. I put those two guys in front of Wright, so therefore its a yes.

Gee you cant a have an ordinary year on this forum even if its through injury. Jack won the B&F by about 50% more than the next player last year when he is fully fit and now a guy who has yet to prove anything has passed him. I certainly wouldnt do the trade because GWS wouldnt do it. It makes no sense to them as they lose 2 young players that they have developed for one player and another draft pick that they wouldnt need. And its also no good for us because we lose one again from the age group we dont have enough of anyway. And we lose our fastest player in a very slow side anyway. Im sorry but I see it as a lose lose trade.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Every Spoon has a silver lining.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Getting a number of picks may seem the right thing to do but there is more hope of 9 and 10 failing than 1 or 2.
Good question. From the last seven years, you can have a random one of:

Boyd, Kelly, Whitfield, O'Rourke, Patton, Coniglio, Swallow, Bennell, Scully, Trengove, Watts, Naitanui, Kreuzer, Cotchin

Or you can have a random two of:

Salem, Freeman, Vlastuin, Daniher (fs), Tomlinson, Sumner, Prestia, Gorringe, Moore, Melksham, Ziebell, Davis, McEvoy, Dangerfield

Which would you prefer?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Gee you cant a have an ordinary year on this forum even if its through injury. Jack won the B&F by about 50% more than the next player last year when he is fully fit and now a guy who has yet to prove anything has passed him. I certainly wouldnt do the trade because GWS wouldnt do it. It makes no sense to them as they lose 2 young players that they have developed for one player and another draft pick that they wouldnt need. And its also no good for us because we lose one again from the age group we dont have enough of anyway. And we lose our fastest player in a very slow side anyway. Im sorry but I see it as a lose lose trade.

I agree with plugger that would be like trading in the rolls royce and a years wages for a couple of mystery cars wrapped in cardboard. Could be a ferrari or could be a 1994 Mitsubishi. Cameron would at least be pretty guaranteed but patton and Shiel are still speculative.