'Go again Lenny' says Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'Go again Lenny' says Coach

BigMart wrote:In a Sub role as a bench/Ass. Coach ..... Yes

As a full time mid ..... No

Time to develop new group.

I hate the sub vest, it retards development.

BM you thought he would retire 3 years ago. As someone else pointed out there are plenty before him that can go and one or two of them are in similar roles. Maybe you are embarressed with that call but why do you need to retire champions when there are plenty boefore him. And lets face it he isnt going to be sub. Not a hope and he certainly isnt going to be coaching whilst he is on the bench. It is his call if he keeps his current form as the coach has basically said. Im yet to see a player deserving a game who is missing out because of Lenny. Its fanciful stuff.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Im yet to see a player deserving a game who is missing out because of Lenny.
Agree with that. There are about 12-14 mids in the side at any one time. I don't really see how Lenny is keeping many out.

felix
Club Player

Legendary players don't come around to often we should hold on to them as long.as we.can . Besides one year longer in our colours is one year less in an oppositions colours like harves.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is a man of character, who will make a decision in the best interest of the club.

He knows you can't play forever... And there is a point in time where you are taking development minutes off a younger man.

Personally, I think what Gia does is very smart use of the sub role. Perfect for half of his final season.

3 years ago? Wasn't he out with a knee reco that stage? His recovery was better than most expected at 32... But perhaps some saw the need for rebuild early? With or without Lenny 2012-2014 we are still mediocre to put it nicely.

PJ
SS Life Member

No brainer...if he wants to play he plays, if not we talk him into swapping to the coaching team.

No one will tap Lenny on the shoulder....could you imagine trying to live with yourself after that.

If we don't retain Lenny our midfield in the short term will get pulverised. The kids (Dunstan) need to play alongside players of his calibre for as long as possible. Our current crop are very wet behind the ears.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint6709
Club Player

PJ wrote:No brainer...if he wants to play he plays, if not we talk him into swapping to the coaching team.

No one will tap Lenny on the shoulder....could you imagine trying to live with yourself after that.

If we don't retain Lenny our midfield in the short term will get pulverised. The kids (Dunstan) need to play alongside players of his calibre for as long as possible. Our current crop are very wet behind the ears.
Agreed - without analysing the list and naming names I am sure there are 6+ players who would lining up in front of Lenny for a tap on the shoulder

Buckets
SS Life Member

Sadly I think Lenny's time is coming a lot quicker than we would like to admit :(

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He played alright... Like Harves did in 2008 but looks old as a player now... Slower in the mind

Buckets
SS Life Member

He looked slower than I've ever seen tonight

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Sadly I think Lenny's time is coming a lot quicker than we would like to admit :(
I think that's what Rohan Connolly wanted to say, he just didn't have the bile to say it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Buckets
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:
Buckets wrote:Sadly I think Lenny's time is coming a lot quicker than we would like to admit :(
I think that's what Rohan Connolly wanted to say, he just didn't have the bile to say it.
I don't think anyone wants to but he is getting hurt way too much outside the stoppages.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Strongly disagree, output of the outside runners is poor.

He should be shovelling it out to Steven etc....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
I don't think anyone wants to but he is getting hurt way too much outside the stoppages.

Best for us again but hey he should make others play better than they are capable. What I love about forums is others who have a go at reporters for thinking game by game and then they do the same. Worse than that is they are wrong anyway.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

Best for us again but hey he should make others play better than they are capable. What I love about forums is others who have a go at reporters for thinking game by game and then they do the same. Worse than that is they are wrong anyway.
Plugger do you honestly believe that Lenny is still as good as he was last year?
IMO talk of him going on for another year is ridiculous. He has struggled in games this year. More than I have seen him struggle before.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

Plugger do you honestly believe that Lenny is still as good as he was last year?
IMO talk of him going on for another year is ridiculous. He has struggled in games this year. More than I have seen him struggle before.

I think lenny is much better than last year. How could you think otherwise. he would be either first or second on the B&F and last night most people on here thought he was our best player. Without being rude if you think he has struggled in games this year then I doubt you have watched the footy closely. The only games he struggled in were the first 3. After that he has clearly been our best player. Clearly and said by non saints fans in the paper and radio and TV. He goes around next year if he wants to based on current form.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

OMG Buckets. mate.... Lenny has been in vintage form this year.. with armo out the last few Lenny is the only man putting his body into contested ball. Last night about 5 times i saw him hammer his body into pies... to make sure if they got a hand on it they had to earn it.

it's freakin sad that a guy of 34 years of age is not only needed but required atm. i am praying he's goes another year. also can't understand why Milne was not kept on for another. he's also badly needed atm.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Lenny can play another 10 if he wants as far as I'm concerned.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Plugger do you honestly believe that Lenny is still as good as he was last year?
Probably true that he's struggling more than he has before - he's 34 now - but he's still well and truly AFL standard, and consistently our best mid so far this year.

PJ
SS Life Member

Sadly Lenny and Roo are still our best players.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sadly I don't think we will move forward until Roo and Lenny retire....