Billings will be our best player by 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings will be our best player by 2016

Yes

It's ridiculous to suggest that we should just wait and let him develop and evolve into a good AFL footballer?!

Shocking

I too should be announcing him a jet after 6 games.

He looks very good ATM. He will hopefully fulfill his potential.

Does anyone remember these three things about Xavier Clarke
Kicking 3 goals vs Mel in R7 2002 and getting a rising star nomination
An absolute screamer he took early doors and then followed it up a few weeks later another
His r1 game off HB in 2003 vs North 3 votes in a loss... 25 touches and dominated

Billings has similar traits.... Skill oozing, and clever.... But ATM has potential, has not yet arrived as a player

This will take time

I for one will give him that time

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes

It's ridiculous to suggest that we should just wait and let him develop and evolve into a good AFL footballer?!

Shocking

An absolute screamer he took early doors and then followed it up a few weeks later another
His r1 game off HB in 2003 vs North 3 votes in a loss... 25 touches and dominated

Billings has similar traits.... Skill oozing, and clever.... But ATM has potential, has not yet arrived as a player

This will take time

Let's just not talk about him or get excited until he has played 100 games then.

Fair dinkum mate, if it's okay for you to write off Cripps and Hickey before 20 games, I think it's okay for people to go early on a #3 pick showing a lot of promise.

You're a strange unit.

Junior
Club Player

dragit wrote:

Shocking

This will take time

Let's just not talk about him or get excited until he has played 100 games then.

Fair dinkum mate, if it's okay for you to write off Cripps and Hickey before 20 games, I think it's okay for people to go early on a #3 pick showing a lot of promise.

You're a strange unit.
Was about to post the exact same thing. I guess some people are glass half full and som glass half empty.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Shocking

This will take time

You're a strange unit.
Well I think Big mart has finally been vindicated. Jack Steven was a spud last week, Hickey can't get a game and Cripps is no longer at the club. He's a prophet.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Teflon wrote:Now just imagine how good we can be if we can snare another 3 good ones this year!!

Drink well Sainters, load up in Billings and hit top 4 hard in a few years

Forget mediocrity and "trying hard to finish 9th"
Who ever said they wanted to finish 9th?

I hope Billings decides he wants to stay at a club that wins about 5 games a year.
Riewoldt did

And after we drink long and hard from the draft "youth" well and everyone starts talking up the stockpile of 8-9 guns running round at St Kilda (all Jacks mates by then) the world will be good.

Hoping he stays cause we scrape together wins and by being brave in defeat won't cut it - he'll know if this side has the talent or not and make his call on that.

Build talent and they will come
Build RIchmond/Carlton "thereabouts" model and we are in wilderness for years.

Have faith - it has begun

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Shocking

This will take time

You're a strange unit.

Exactly right. Writes off Cripps before they even had time to put his photo up on draft day but we can't get excited about a new player that looks the goods.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I wrote off Cripps because he was soft, and nothing's changed... After 4 years our first pick in the 2010 draft averages 10ppg as a fring small fwd... And he's a running forward of the ball cheat. Luckily we got a half decent player when he pissed off home for what... Pick 43.

Tom Hickey, I don't rate... He's not strong, doesn't mark it well, is not fast or a good endurance runner, is not highly skilled, does not find the footy easily...
That's my opinion. Love to know what his strengths are?

That example spinner would work so much better
1- if it were true and in context
2- Cripps had proved me wrong... He's a dud, with worse numbers than Aaron Fiora ... In fact yes, Jack is already better than him

Billings is a classy kid... Excuse me, if I don't want to explode because he's averaging 16 touches and a goal per game... As the best kid in the country?!
He has huge potential.... But is not a jedi yet?

Going early on Stanley, Siposs and others has taught some very little

Richter
SS Life Member

Goose Maguire was another who we thought would be a 200+ game star backman for us.

Just saying...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Richter wrote:Goose Maguire was another who we thought would be a 200+ game star backman for us.

Just saying...
He would have been had he not been cruelled by a shocking injury. Bu he is still playing..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Why cant people get excited about Billings? Is it because he is a Saints player.

I seem to remember some on here getting exciting about players from other clubs because we hadn't picked them, but when we do pick a kid who is looking OK, we cant get excited?

Very strange "support" of your club and fellow supporters I would think.

BTW - have been asked to change my nic as it may be construed as baiting so hopefully will be back as Bunk_Moreland in the not to distant future

You are garbage - Enough said
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Think of the title of this thread for starters... After a few games, the kid now has the expectation to be our best player?

How about just letting the kid grow and develop... And hope he develops to his full potential.

So far... He hasn't played through the middle, hasn't been tagged, hasn't had to get through a form slump... And so on

He looks very likely.... That's about where I have him

In 2016

I'd hope... Jack Steven, Jack Newnes, Billy Longer, Nathan Wright, Jimmy Webster band some others our our best players

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How about just letting the kid grow and develop... And hope he develops to his full potential
Hickey is laughing his arse off at you.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Gringo is right, when the goat goes on holiday, the grass gets out of control.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Gringo is right, when the goat goes on holiday, the grass gets out of control.

Either that or the other goat jumped the fence and ate the special grass and has been have strange delusions ever since.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:Gringo is right, when the goat goes on holiday, the grass gets out of control.

Either that or the other goat jumped the fence and ate the special grass and has been have strange delusions ever since.
"One Goat" 8-)

Personally I like to view BM's comments more than most on here...the goat you're referring to I find most annoying and ignore his comments but when I do read them unkowingly I can always tell who is behind it.

A lot of selfies here but the biggest of them all is missing but not missed

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Differences between Hickey and Billing

One is 18.... The other 22
One has elite footy skills

Don't mind if Tom is 'laughing his arse off' but I prefer he works his arse off and adds some strength to his frame, adds some skill, and improves his running power...

He has a long way to go....

Billings is already a better footballer, he has a lot of developing to do before he reaches his potential... Which is probably elite.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Like Billings a lot - but we neednt get all hung up on one player like the Tigers on Cotchin.
We need another 10 good-very good players coming through under 21yo.

You cant build a club on 3 or 4 good players and then 30 mediocre ones (hello Richmond)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Differences between Hickey and Billing

Don't mind if Tom is 'laughing his arse off' but I prefer he works his arse off and adds some strength to his frame, adds some skill, and improves his running power...

Billings is already a better footballer, he has a lot of developing to do before he reaches his potential... Which is probably elite.
You are completely missing the point... It's nothing to do with comparing the two, just the fact that you would write a young guy off but then have a go at others for making a positive prediction on a young guy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The most talented player we've drafted since Luke Ball (early form). The benefits of early draft picks. We'll get a few more like Jack over the next few years. Exciting times...with finals out of reach and needing something to be excited about.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If I think that a player is lacking... I'll come forward and say it! (Cripps)

If I think a player has a weakness, I'll say it (Steven)

If I think a player has talent, I'll say it (billings)

If I think a player has made it, I'll say it (Newnes)

If I think a player is unlucky, I'll say it (Armitage)

If I think a player is overrated, I'll say it (Hickey)

If I think a player is a legend, I'll say it (Riewoldt)

It's my opinion...

Can be proved wrong, or be different to others??... It's a perception thing...

Never said I don't rate Billings quality ... He's very promising.... To make a huge call on him is unfair and a bit silly IMO

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jack Billings will NOT be our best player by 2016, because we are going to recruit a better player with our number 1 or 2 pick this year. Simple.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Differences between Hickey and Billing

You are completely missing the point... It's nothing to do with comparing the two, just the fact that you would write a young guy off but then have a go at others for making a positive prediction on a young guy.

Yeah but this one goes to 11.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No, you missed my point.

I wrote off Hickey... Because firstly, I don't understand why we recruited him, secondly that he's average...

I do rate Jack.... Just think premature ejaculation over a player is all too common .... I suggest let the boy play... Without hoping he becomes 'our best player at 20yo

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I wrote off Cripps because he was soft, and nothing's changed... After 4 years our first pick in the 2010 draft averages 10ppg as a fring small fwd... And he's a running forward of the ball cheat. Luckily we got a half decent player when he pissed off home for what... Pick 43.

Tom Hickey, I don't rate... He's not strong, doesn't mark it well, is not fast or a good endurance runner, is not highly skilled, does not find the footy easily...
That's my opinion. Love to know what his strengths are?

That example spinner would work so much better
1- if it were true and in context
2- Cripps had proved me wrong... He's a dud, with worse numbers than Aaron Fiora ... In fact yes, Jack is already better than him

Billings is a classy kid... Excuse me, if I don't want to explode because he's averaging 16 touches and a goal per game... As the best kid in the country?!
He has huge potential.... But is not a jedi yet?

Going early on Stanley, Siposs and others has taught some very little

What other context is there?

You proclaimed him a dud choice on draft day because there was no photo up of him.

I don't remember much of what and who posts - but I remember that very clearly. Are you trying to rewrite history?