Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

spert wrote:Brereton can dangle his premiership medals in front of us, an under-performing club and say what he thinks, and I'm sure behind all his bluff, he wants all clubs to do well. There was and never is going to be the tail wagging the dog situation at Hawthorn- no player sooks to the board or anyone else at that club, and that's why they are successful.
So you after everything that came out about him you think that Watters should still be coach?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The great man Dermott tries to make out he is intelligent. In real life though he finds putting his underwear on the right way a real challange.

Saintsational Legend

The great man Dermott tries to make out he is intelligent. In real life though he finds putting his underwear on the right way a real challange.

Saintsational Legend

Saintsational Legend

Saintsational Legend

Saintsational Legend

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:The great man Dermott tries to make out he is intelligent. In real life though he finds putting his underwear on the right way a real challange.
I heard you the 1st time.

Maybe you need to visit www.dementia.com or www.stopmypcposting5times.com

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:The great man Dermott tries to make out he is intelligent. In real life though he finds putting his underwear on the right way a real challange.

You can say that again!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
70s sainter
Club Player

Dermott can say what he wants about the club but it's obvious by his tone that he hates the club. Sure make your point about the list selection , or that a legend of the club like reiwoldt has an opinion about the coach or team mates or the direction the club is headed.
But I would back reiwoldt over watters any day of the week .
Id say the same about Hayes .
They ve bled for the club, are great leaders and I trust their judgement to be honest.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:.....it's quite amazing to see that after Dermie has voiced a few opinions that many on here don't agree with, that he's branded a clueless hack when it comes to anything regarding football.

Sure, he may be way off the mark here and is probably upset about his mate getting the boot, but Dermott is one of the great football minds and his insight many times is usually on the money.

Relax people!!!
Would love you to share a few pearls of his wisdom to disprove the doubters

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

By the sounds of it, it's another case of "Silly Dermie".

Obviously it's merely speculation. If he is doing it to spite the club because his mate was dismissed last year, then he is just showing a lack of integrity and professionalism as a journalist.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Dermott can say what he wants about the club but it's obvious by his tone that he hates the club. Sure make your point about the list selection , or that a legend of the club like reiwoldt has an opinion about the coach or team mates or the direction the club is headed.
But I would back reiwoldt over watters any day of the week .
Id say the same about Hayes .
They ve bled for the club, are great leaders and I trust their judgement to be honest.
And it's not as if their slackers around the club. They both probably work harder than anyone else on the track.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Best summary of Dermott I've heard. Well done. He's a spud.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SAY THAT AGAIN

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I said similar last year.

Roo and Joey IMO, gave the club a "him or me" stance with Watters.

They acted on that, and there is no coming back from it....

Ross gave the seniors too much love, Scott not enough, now Richo probably too much again.

What's irrelevant though, is derms motive, clearly stil bitter on his mates behalf.

Delusional post. Russell Holmesby came on and said that 8 or 9 players were going to walk out, not just 1 or 2. Was not a happy team and if Watter's behaviour to those around him was anything to go by, I would have walked out also. Nobody minds a tough hard coach, they just require respect. To think that Ross was soft and gave them lots of cuddles is ridiculous. Have you not seen Ross Lyon up close and in action? Cross that man or not do as he asks of you and watch out! Ask any St Kilda player during his tenure at our club.

Dermott's opinion was farcical and clearly showed a vendetta. Barely had 2 nice words to say about us after our wins, but lines us up after a loss by a team that had predominantly young kids and has been hit by injuries that was playing last years (and most likely this years) premiers. His attack on Gwilt is what is the most disturbing. Of course he has the most goals kicked against him. Being played out of position and the only experienced back man that is left marshalling a defense that is missing many experienced players and consists of young kids. Really, give the guy a break!

Anyway, back to St Kilda bashing if it makes you feel better. Let's cut all of our experienced players like Melbourne did and lose the fabric of the club. You don't need experienced campaigners. Just ask Melbourne. How many years has it taken them to recover cutting all of there long time experienced players and only play the kids? They still haven't come out of it.
I'm not saying that Watters was popular, or that he should stay.

I'm saying they were all used to being treated in a certain way.

Wouldn't surprise me if that many threatened to leave, he didn't have the players at all.

It's not disrespectful to say the players overthrew Watters, they did. How is that delusional?

I think people overreact when anyone says anything remotely negative. Show me where I said cut all the senior players?

How is it stkilda bashing to have a different POV to you?

I said there was some truths hidden amongst the poison.

I'm not comfortable with the control Pelchen seemingly has either.
You keep referring to them being used to being treated a 'certain way'. Try asking Roo about an incident between him and Ross Lyon when he first took over from Thommo. Think you may be surprised. Lyon demanded a role be played and if you you didn't play it, you were dropped. Also, trying asking Max Hudgton how he was feeling after being left out of the 2009 grand final. His seniority didn't seem to make a difference in regards to selection. So yes, I am 'sensitive' when I hear your agreement and comments on the players being treated in a 'certain way'.

It was not just the players that could no longer work with Watters. Try all the entire football club from executives down to the bootstudders. Certain comments that were made in the halls to a certain executive are still echoing...... So no, it was not just a player driven decision. He signed his own death warrant shortly before that infamous interview on SEN. So yes, I am sensitive to your POV on this also.

Having heard Pelchen speak and having seen a chart of our draft picks and where and what they have achieved over the past 10 years, to be honest, I was horrified. I don't feel that Pelchen has this all encompassing power that many believe. There is a team that is in charge of recruiting, including the coach. All of them knowledgeable and, I believe, moving in the right direction. They have a strong plan and a strong vision and the evidence from our drafting and the success of those picks so far (only time will tell how they go long term), they are right on track. It is just going to take time and patience.

I generally respected Brereton's football opinion but his opinion and comments since the sacking of Watter's and the poison he unleashed a few nights ago were off the mark. Funny how I didn't hear any commentary from him on crunch time after Terry Wallace made it public a couple of weeks back that the players at Richmond voted no confidence in him at the end of his second or third year and again halfway through his 4th year. THAT is the tail wagging the dog.

Anway, just MHO and 2 cents worth.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
spert wrote:Brereton can dangle his premiership medals in front of us, an under-performing club and say what he thinks, and I'm sure behind all his bluff, he wants all clubs to do well. There was and never is going to be the tail wagging the dog situation at Hawthorn- no player sooks to the board or anyone else at that club, and that's why they are successful.
So you after everything that came out about him you think that Watters should still be coach?
I've been around long enough to know what's bulltish and what isn't, and there was a bit too much of it coming out of the club over the period of Watters sacking and I am in no doubt he got shafted because he stood on a few precious toes. We will never know if he would have been a successful coach and it's all history now and we have moved on. Let's hope Richo gets full support from ALL at the club, and gets us success.

MrCordz
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
SainterK wrote:.

I will also be disappointed if Acres makes way for Dunstan.

Why - Dunstan has proved his worth over 5 -6 weeks- surely hedesrves to get back into the team- there are 1-2 spaces in this weeks team anyway with Jarryn out. and Jimmy had concussion.

I just don't see why the team needs to be an under 25 team for us to develop- they need the leadership out there

as far as list cloggers- every team has them, - Newman, Sewell, Brown, Goodes, Maxwell,, etc- players past their prime but in the team for good will and experience.
Agree with you Bratty

Humbly St. Kilda
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If a player is over 25 and not performing.... Gone

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I've been around long enough to know what's bulltish and what isn't, and there was a bit too much of it coming out of the club over the period of Watters sacking and I am in no doubt he got shafted because he stood on a few precious toes. We will never know if he would have been a successful coach and it's all history now and we have moved on. Let's hope Richo gets full support from ALL at the club, and gets us success.
How long does a club like ours keep a coach when we are rebuilding though? I hope like heck that he IS a good couch and therefore we keep Richo long term (10 years) but I'm not too sure what will happen if we are still at the bottom of the ladder come his third year. We will probably just turf him when, in fact, he could be the best coach we ever had.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

2-4 years without success.... Depending on how he handles it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dont expect any success this year or next or really even 2016.
So I guess we will want to see some improvement in 2016. Maybe get up to 12th or something.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dont expect any success this year or next or really even 2016.
So I guess we will want to see some improvement in 2016. Maybe get up to 12th or something.

PJ
SS Life Member

St.Kilda are too unpredictable to be able to get any accurate reading on how and when they'll rise.

Even predicting what will happen when Roo hangs them up has too many variables. You don't want one player to replace him but a few that hit the scoreboard regularly would be handy. Do we have them in the list currently? Quite possibly - who knows.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.