Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

Don't write off how much of a hot seat being the ST Kilda coach is. ONe of our big issues is our history of giving coaches the flick pretty quickly. It creates an environment of short term thinking. I have faith in Richo. But despite his extensive experience he's only been head coach for 7 games. He's learning as much as the young players.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Why does Pelchen sit next to Alan in the box?

Maybe it's normal?

What is normal?
How many are in the box these days anyway?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Maybe it's normal?

What is normal?
I'm not sure.

I just noticed he sits to his right every week, not even tucked in the corner, but prime position?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jones- list clogger? hell, I am one of the many who believes he should stay with the Zebras.
Schneids and Jimmy G are needed on-field for their guidance and experience, extremely valuable,
of course Schneids' 12 or so kicks are worth more than the jewellery on Flo- Rida.

Other clubs have ditched "favourite sons", Crows, years ago, got rid of 2 or 3 premiership players in the late 90's, their fans went spare
Tigers- Matthew Knights was cut "early" according to some of the yellow and black bogans

Happens all the time,
but we are rebuilding and cannot afford to lose so much experience in one hit.
We gonna lose 4 very shortly.

Yeah, bring in some kids with skills, but if they don't know when or where to run to, and can't time their efforts, well, hell, they won't really get the chance to show off those skills, eh?

Tommy Ledger was supposed to have no tank, so couldn't keep up with the pace of the game, according to some who say they watched him in the VFL.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Don't think Schneider was clogging the list against Essendon, was one of the best on the ground.
Gwilt wont play this week, especially if he is injured, plus I hate to say it, but he has gone backwards over the last few years. I say I hate to say it because I don't want to see any of our good players fail, and Gwilt was one of our good ones.
The game has probably passed him and age is catching up,. but still remember him taking Barry Hall to the cleaners a few times.
I personally think Sam Fisher has played his last game, his body just can't do it anymore, it is sad but inevitable, wouldn't be surprised to see him retire before the year is out.
Ray is a good played and still contributes, yes his disposal isn't the best, but it is far from the worst. CJ gets the ball, and generally his disposal efficiency has been much better this year, remember the blinder he played in round 1, plus managed 2 goals against Brisbane. However I agree, I think he will not get a contract extension, he's 30 and not part of the future.
Geary is all heart, and yes he is in the same boat as Ray, but I wouldn't be getting rid of him, he is one of the few of the 50-150 gamers we have.
There will be players let go at the end of the year, but we can only get rid of so many each year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Fidelis
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
I'm putting words in his mouth, but I reckon he hinted that Scott tried to undo the tail wags the dog, but Richo has restored things back to how they were.
Think there's some truth in this. The Watters apologists (and perhaps they're right) would say that Lyon had a very intense relationship with the senior players and didn't even pretend to take an interest in building relationships with the developing youngsters. They would argue that Watters' focus was redressing this balance and so we see ageing champions and role players moved on, youngsters promoted and they culture of being proud of a grand but unsuccessful tilt was challenged. The argument goes that the senior players were miffed at what they saw as a lack of respect or suitable acknowledgement at what they had achieved.

Clearly RIcho is trying to find the balance. He's well known as a good developer of young players and we've seen impressive numbers of young players given a shot at it. But it appears that he is cautious about going totally young and wants to insert them into a matrix of experience. Finding the right balance is his challenge.

Faithful Even Unto Death
asiu
Saintsational Legend

wondered that also

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:
wondered that also
Maybe his next move will be akin to GT

Sack Alan, and install himself as senior coach

:)

Oh hang on...

He wouldn't would he?

:|

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dont let Dermott destabilize our club for god sake.

He has been waiting for a chance to sink the boots in.

Yeah great call Dermie, hows your mate going. Scott who. No one else was rushing to get him on board

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I heard most of it.

Of course, with his mateship with SW along with Derm's general dismissive hatred of all things Saints, you can really take it for what its worth....f*** all.

Brereton DOES have a point. Some of these guys have been around for a while and lets be frank, they are not the future.

If we are going to lose by ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTY FIVE POINTS then why the hell does Clint Jones get a game ahead of Seb Ross? Schneider a go ahead of Spencer White? Roberton ahead of Gwilt? etc etc. Shane Savage is disrespecting that number 5. And if the tail is wagging the dog as he says, then the players mentioned should be shown the door. It is that simple.

On the back of the Hawthorn loss, we have some guys that really should not be getting a game. We have some injuries, long term ones so you can excuse some scorelines to a level. But this weeks team selection should show us exactly who holds the reigns.

Play the kids ffs. Play the guys like #2 and give him a job to do. Markworth, Newnes, White, Curren, Webster, Murdoch, Saunders, Milera, Acres, Dunell...Who will step up and own a spot on the list and who will fail? Play them and see who has the ability and who does not. Are they good enough? If not, piss them off and get someone who is. Make the most of the downturn in onfield success and utilise the draft while we can.

Losses like we just had are disrespectful to all of us. And that is not just aimed at the players, but the coaches, board and bloody everyone. Its not acceptable. If you want to be a witches hat, go and get three hunjie a week playing for Melton or similar. But don't bring that effort and expect to get away with it.

I honestly do not believe that we are 145 points worse than Hawthorn. So that rests on the group and the coaches.....Why and how did we lose like that?

6 changes this week. Should not be any less. Some guys should be getting a rocket and not coming back until they are in the best for Sandy for a MONTH....

Richardson needs to be a hard bugger here or we are going nowhere.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mullet
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Yes. Finey was saying a similar thing as Dermie about playing the youngsters like Ross, Sippos or Dunnell instead of people like Jones (can't kick and NOW can't handball), Gwilt (5th worst in league for goals against), Ray (might get 25 possessions but 20 go to the opposition or smothered), etc.
and Finey ran a campaign against Watters...
After a while you get tired of defending those players you dont like - so riddle me this -
Three very different coaches have seen fit to play them...
Pelchen has not axed them...
but in the end you will get your wish as all careers eventually come to an end.
Finey, seriously for a stkilda supporter he does a lot of damage. But he has worked out that bad st kilda stories are good for his job. He is a tosser

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Maybe it's normal?

What is normal?
I'm not sure.

I just noticed he sits to his right every week, not even tucked in the corner, but prime position?
Pretty normal as "head of football" I would think… I'm sure Richo sat in the box with HInkley.
Eade, Balme, Thompson, Craig, Connolly have sat in the box too.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
spert wrote:I reckon the tail wagged the dog during Watter's time, and I also reckon Watters pointed the finger at a few senior players who took the foot off the accelerator when Lyon left, and noses were probably put out of joint..sooking to board..coach gets the flick with feeble explanation to media by club. Much easier to offload newish coach than senior players.
Bullsh!t

So what about Watters behavioral issues?

Scott Watters was a knob.
No worse behavioural issues than any other AFL coach, and I'm pretty right in what I said, so go and clean up your bulls***
I don't think so but I do know that only a fool would have thought Watters should have stayed on after what came out about him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I heard most of it.

Of course, with his mateship with SW along with Derm's general dismissive hatred of all things Saints, you can really take it for what its worth....f*** all.

Brereton DOES have a point. Some of these guys have been around for a while and lets be frank, they are not the future.

If we are going to lose by ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTY FIVE POINTS then why the hell does Clint Jones get a game ahead of Seb Ross? Schneider a go ahead of Spencer White? Roberton ahead of Gwilt? etc etc. Shane Savage is disrespecting that number 5. And if the tail is wagging the dog as he says, then the players mentioned should be shown the door. It is that simple.

On the back of the Hawthorn loss, we have some guys that really should not be getting a game. We have some injuries, long term ones so you can excuse some scorelines to a level. But this weeks team selection should show us exactly who holds the reigns.

Play the kids ffs. Play the guys like #2 and give him a job to do. Markworth, Newnes, White, Curren, Webster, Murdoch, Saunders, Milera, Acres, Dunell...Who will step up and own a spot on the list and who will fail? Play them and see who has the ability and who does not. Are they good enough? If not, piss them off and get someone who is. Make the most of the downturn in onfield success and utilise the draft while we can.

Losses like we just had are disrespectful to all of us. And that is not just aimed at the players, but the coaches, board and bloody everyone. Its not acceptable. If you want to be a witches hat, go and get three hunjie a week playing for Melton or similar. But don't bring that effort and expect to get away with it.

I honestly do not believe that we are 145 points worse than Hawthorn. So that rests on the group and the coaches.....Why and how did we lose like that?

6 changes this week. Should not be any less. Some guys should be getting a rocket and not coming back until they are in the best for Sandy for a MONTH....

Richardson needs to be a hard bugger here or we are going nowhere.
Yeah agree bigred, that's my (reluctant) view too.

Nobody wants to agree with Derm, but he has a point.

I find it amusing that he tries to deliver a clear summation of the saints, but a "you sacked my bestie" overtone tinges it a bit. Still a relevant point is exactly that, relevant.

I will also be disappointed if Acres makes way for Dunstan.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Maybe it's normal?

What is normal?
I'm not sure.

Pretty normal as "head of football" I would think… I'm sure Richo sat in the box with HInkley.
Eade, Balme, Thompson, Craig, Connolly have sat in the box too.
Don't like how he sits in there, even though he is "head of football".. He should have no role game day. Chris has a lot of power at the saints.. Some of it is toxic.. Well from what I heard from a younger player who I do see every few weeks..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Yes. Finey was saying a similar thing as Dermie about playing the youngsters like Ross, Sippos or Dunnell instead of people like Jones (can't kick and NOW can't handball), Gwilt (5th worst in league for goals against), Ray (might get 25 possessions but 20 go to the opposition or smothered), etc.
and Finey ran a campaign against Watters...
After a while you get tired of defending those players you dont like - so riddle me this -
Three very different coaches have seen fit to play them...
Pelchen has not axed them...
but in the end you will get your wish as all careers eventually come to an end.
Finey, seriously for a stkilda supporter he does a lot of damage. But he has worked out that bad st kilda stories are good for his job. He is a tosser
Yeah, but did Finey say players are running the club or that there are players like Jones etc who shouldn't be playing?

Sounds like people are confused.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Who's Dermie's source, Scott Watters? Sounds legit. :roll:
Exactly Old mate.

Dermie is compromised.

He's a knob.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:.

Why - Dunstan has proved his worth over 5 -6 weeks- surely hedesrves to get back into the team- there are 1-2 spaces in this weeks team anyway with Jarryn out. and Jimmy had concussion.

I just don't see why the team needs to be an under 25 team for us to develop- they need the leadership out there

as far as list cloggers- every team has them, - Newman, Sewell, Brown, Goodes, Maxwell,, etc- players past their prime but in the team for good will and experience.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Why - Dunstan has proved his worth over 5 -6 weeks- surely hedesrves to get back into the team- there are 1-2 spaces in this weeks team anyway with Jarryn out. and Jimmy had concussion.

I just don't see why the team needs to be an under 25 team for us to develop- they need the leadership out there

as far as list cloggers- every team has them, - Newman, Sewell, Brown, Goodes, Maxwell,, etc- players past their prime but in the team for good will and experience.
You've not understood derms point.

He (and I was reiterating) that both Dunstan AND Blake should play this week.

He was saying the Ross made way for Schneider, whereas he should of retained his spot, and suggested that it shouldn't happen again.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: He (and I was reiterating) that both Dunstan AND Blake should play this week.

He was saying the Ross made way for Schneider, whereas he should of retained his spot, and suggested that it shouldn't happen again.
Maybe Ross made way for Weller who has been dominating the VFL?
More likely that Schneider came in for Templeton… at any rate it would be serious hindsighting to suggest selecting Schneider was a mistake as he was every bit a match winner in his last game.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

You've not understood derms point.

He (and I was reiterating) that both Dunstan AND Blake should play this week.

there are two points in his conversation

but having seen Ross play he is improving but still has small areas to work on and maybe they wanted to give both experience, game time and test their ability in differant areas
- Blake on the Big stage, I could suggest that had jarryn not gone down then Blake would have only played a part game the toe in the water, but with Jarryn and Jimmy both going down then rotation and plans changed.

and Ross got a full game at Sandringham,and in a position he could work on and show what and where he is at,

as the players understand about playing in the Development level- I would ascertain they also understand that time in the Saints would be the same- - each taking their turn and building to more.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Brearaton is an <edited by Mod>, I've had no respect for him since his cowardly act of 'king hitting' Danny Frawley from behind and 100 metres behind the play. He's a gutless <edited by Mod>.

If this problem did really exist, why not raise it the Monday after we beat Essendon? Any gutless jerk can throw <edited by Mod> after a terrible loss...

If there are really senior players 'running the club' or 'calling the shots', then now is the time to kick their arses right out of the club.

List Clogger is a cheap throw-away line. Fact is there are insufficient A Grade players to go around now we have 18 teams. Sure, we have a few guys toward the end of their careers, and some battlers. But for the most part, I'm delighted in the way the selectors are introducing the kids.

Yep, Dermie is a tool...

<Warning for Swearing>

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Brearaton is an arsehole, I've had no respect for him since his cowardly act of 'king hitting' Danny Frawley from behind and 100 metres behind the play. He's a gutless arsehole.

If this problem did really exist, why not raise it the Monday after we beat Essendon? Any gutless jerk can throw sh1t after a terrible loss...

If there are really senior players 'running the club' or 'calling the shots', then now is the time to kick their arses right out of the club.

List Clogger is a cheap throw-away line. Fact is there are insufficient A Grade players to go around now we have 18 teams. Sure, we have a few guys toward the end of their careers, and some battlers. But for the most part, I'm delighted in the way the selectors are introducing the kids.

Yep, Dermie is a tool...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

for those who missed MR Brereton
https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/dermott- ... n-st-kilda

what strikes me is that none of those in the audio knew where or how Acres had been playing- or the fact of whether he had or had not been playing.

fascetious me suggests many have' 'written off' the Saints and are taking no interest in what or who they have available-
and that's fair given our position but lack of research will colour their discussion.

they appear to suggest that the saints should have played Acres earlier-
he arrived with injury or recovering from injury, he is in many respects a tall skinny kid- watching him Saturday I siad to my companion- he will be a good size when he fills out and finishes growing- KPP?
he has played approx 2 and 1/2 games at VFL level..--

unlike Dunstan and Templeton who have atleast played at senior level in their home states- ( without taking the time to check) I don't beleive Blake did.
most players find it is a Huge step up from VFL to AFL_ must be even greater to school to AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Absolute baloney. The club this year is a much happier place than last year. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of time for Watters and I was very surprised when he got the flick. Whether you believe me or not that I have "privileged information " I always got on well with Scott and I thought he did a fairly good job. But all you can do is compare the mood/feel/banter at the club and at training/meetings etc to see that it is a totally different place this year. There's a real good feel. A real good feel.
Also remember there's only one runner these days so you need the experienced players making decisions etc on the ground. You know Lenny won't be a part of the next flag tilt but his leadership is outstanding. Watch and listen to Ray at training and see the encouragement he gives to everyone. See how popular Jones is, etc etc etc
Saturday was a shocking loss, totally unacceptable but if you look through other posts you will find a slight excuse. Sandy weren't that good either.
Some of the Saints promos in previous years were... Expect the unexpected.
The ride of your life.

They're on the right track, stick fat with Richardson and Kingsley. I can assure you all the players are. ( and I reckon when plugger66 comes back he will confirm that with his contacts )