Vent your spleen thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Vent your spleen thread

joffaboy wrote:Chelsea signalled goals and points with very good posture tonight
I wish she'd put that microphone battery in a different spot. What's wrong with clipping it onto the belt?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lloyd21
Club Player

Unfortunate result thought they picked wrong team this week definitely would have rested Templeton upgraded Weller.
We got slaughtered around stoppages in 1st half and 2 years in row wearing moulded sole boots on rugby ground.
Schneider was a huge loss .
The old story composure still kills them in front of goals cost the club 2 flags & tonight's game .

saint-stu
Club Player

The first half was horrid. I know we have a young team now, but it always feels like the saints never perform outside of Melbourne. The only exception I can think of in recent years is 09/10.

1ac46a38
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Won last weeks game at the selection table and arguably lost this weeks at the selection table. Mav Weller should have played based on form and Fishers experience should have been used to counterbalance the loss of Schneider. Note the impact Gilbo has had when he comes back in.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Won last weeks game at the selection table and arguably lost this weeks at the selection table. Mav Weller should have played based on form and Fishers experience should have been used to counterbalance the loss of Schneider. Note the impact Gilbo has had when he comes back in.
How could Weller play when he is not on the senior list?

Fisher was too sore to play. You want him to re-injure and then get all the know alls saying the club stuffed up again like they said with Gilbo?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Players seemed unprepared for the slippery conditions in the the first half.

Very frustrating to watch so many missed shots at goal, especially from experienced players. Do players actually practise goal kicking at training, especially when they're tired?

No excuse for a player giving away 50 metres, especially in the last crucial minutes of the game.

bigballs
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Zed wrote:Won last weeks game at the selection table and arguably lost this weeks at the selection table. Mav Weller should have played based on form and Fishers experience should have been used to counterbalance the loss of Schneider. Note the impact Gilbo has had when he comes back in.
How could Weller play when he is not on the senior list?

Fisher was too sore to play. You want him to re-injure and then get all the know alls saying the club stuffed up again like they said with Gilbo?
Weller could have and should have been promoted to the senior list at the same time or not long after they announced Wright was going on to the long term injury list.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If you went purely on form then Weller and Milera play in place of Ross and Savage.
Schneider would have won it for us had he played.
If Templeton played the game out we probably would have won as well.

Just a balls-up of a game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its all hindsight now.
We lost. Lions were desperate and won.
Thats footy as they say.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:From the first minute it looked like we had psyched ourself out of a win and they had psyched themselves into a win.
We were always going to lose from the first bounce.

It was one of those games we were desperate to lose and just could not take a trick.

Ray should have won it for us - as simple as this.

My main concern was Seb Ross who just looks miles of AFL standard.

Savage worked his guts out but doesnt seem quite to know what to do when he gets the ball in traffic. hes ok in the clear.

All in all - the writing was on the wall from the bounce. We never got a clean run on all day.
Yes. Well summed up. No individual player for us the difference but a few lowlights. Ross as always marked by indecision; plenty of fumbling; Bruce's laughable marking missies.
On the positive side Hickey and Stanley franking their form.
I thought the diff was that we were physically weak early.

doggerel
Club Player

James Aish - 144 Supercoach pts

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

doggerel wrote:James Aish - 144 Supercoach pts
Yes will be interesting to see 5 years from now if we made the right choice. Aish is ahead on points right now but I think once Billings develops belief and confidence that he belongs at this level he will be a more damaging player than Aish who will be a massive accumulator of possessions

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
Yes will be interesting to see 5 years from now if we made the right choice. Aish is ahead on points right now but I think once Billings develops belief and confidence that he belongs at this level he will be a more damaging player than Aish who will be a massive accumulator of possessions
I'm happy so far with our choice

Will be interesting to see who Aish is playing for in a few years. I suppose same could be said of Billings, but with Aish I am certain there will be a pretty strong offer on the cards from SA clubs.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
My main concern was Seb Ross who just looks miles of AFL standard.

....sorry con...don't agree...18 possessions......8 kicks...10 handballs.....2 tackles.......not too bad for his first full game of the year

ten players scored less dt points than seb.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

John Brown is the most over-rated player in the league and has been for a decade. Blind Frederick's dead Uncle could have played in the Lions team of the early noughties.

Just because he is a Johnny-every-man and a complete bogan does not take away from him being put on some bizarre pedestal being a punch-throwing bogan that would be cleaning s*** if he was not suitable enough for league football

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

One Eyed Saint wrote:1. Why oh WHY did we not play Sam Fisher? Surely he would have been the perfect opponent for J Brown tonight? Bad selection decision in my opinion
2. Shane Savage - Should not have played tonight, a guy like Maverick Weller ahead of him easy. Irrespective of his poor last few minutes of the game, he just doesnt win enough of his own ball and have the polish with hand or foot
3. Adam Schneider - him missing didnt cost us the game but would have kept Savage out of the side

Most disappointing part was the effort in the 1st half - I think this will be Richo's biggest challenge to get consistency in effort

Sam Fisher didn't even get out of his tracksuit at the training session. He was never going to play. We could have saved some air fare for someone else.

thequarry
Club Player

Scollop wrote:Farren Ray had the chance to put us in front with only seconds to go and he absolutely stuffed it.

Joey tried his guts out and I know he got the medal...but you wonder what he was thinking when he made a crucial error and gave them back the lead. It wasn't his job to manhandle Brown or contest against him. All he had to do was keep his eyes on the footy.

I think it was just when we had all the momentum in the dying minutes and Joey needed to kill that footy or at least get a hand on it. Bruise free footy usually leads to losing and Joey didn't want to attack the contest. I suppose he usually waits for the crumbs but this time he had to go - Delaney was jostling with JBrown so third man up always has the advantage.

Jack Steven should have gone the high banana and Billings should have kicked a drop punt not tried to run it along the ground. I know both Jacks missed but there was a lot more time on the clock when they missed and it was still anyones game to win. I think the experienced blokes let us down
There was still 10 minutes of play when the ball crossed the line with that one - plenty of time to miss a bunch of gettable shots :? . Interesting take on the contest - looking at it again there's no point Joey being there if Delaney isn't going to make a contest. Delaney was made to look slow by big JB and really let him go at the last second which changed the dynamic of the contest. Joey wasn't quite prepared for JB making the fall of the ball on his own at the last moment, and had to change his mindset from being there to mop up with space around them to being the third man up. It wasn't enough time for him to right himself and really hit the contest hard.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:John Brown is the most over-rated player in the league and has been for a decade. Blind Frederick's dead Uncle could have played in the Lions team of the early noughties.

Just because he is a Johnny-every-man and a complete bogan does not take away from him being put on some bizarre pedestal being a punch-throwing bogan that would be cleaning s*** if he was not suitable enough for league football
Kicks impotant goals when his club needs them. End of 3rd qtr. Never looked like missing. His goal in the last won them the game. He goes ok.

Club Player

8856brother wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:John Brown is the most over-rated player in the league and has been for a decade. Blind Frederick's dead Uncle could have played in the Lions team of the early noughties.

Kicks impotant goals when his club needs them. End of 3rd qtr. Never looked like missing. His goal in the last won them the game. He goes ok.
agree he iced it when it had to be iced... that's what champions do. Brown has been a great asset for the Lions and he's fearless at the ball... and he gave Harry O brian a touch up that day... i can't fualt the guy.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

There's a positive. I had Goddard on the pine while injured and Aish in the team 8-)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Zed wrote:
I'm happy so far with our choice

Will be interesting to see who Aish is playing for in a few years. I suppose same could be said of Billings, but with Aish I am certain there will be a pretty strong offer on the cards from SA clubs.
Yup.

I like Aish, very classy accumulator. Billings more weapons and hurt factor. Both will be stars IMO but I reckon it will be the Bulldogs and Pies who will be ruing their decision to let Aish slide to pick 6 and instead picking the speculative Bontempelli and Sharenberg who has stuffed feet.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
I like Aish, very classy accumulator. Billings more weapons and hurt factor. Both will be stars IMO but I reckon it will be the Bulldogs and Pies who will be ruing their decision to let Aish slide to pick 6 and instead picking the speculative Bontempelli and Sharenberg who has stuffed feet.

it's looking like a good year. Scharenberg is going to be good when he gets a go. Botempelli could be anything. There seems like there could be a bumper crop of stars from the 2013 draft and plenty showing signs early.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

This game was tough to listen to when in Laos driving south of the country getting buffering every 2 mins.

In reality we are not going to make finals so its better to have lost this game to win it because it will hide the problems we still have to fix.
I think the mindset of the players was they were playing easybeats and got showed up as we did to essendon last week.
We will have a good contest against the Hawks next week but will fall short by about 4 goals.
Future still good, still have many to come back into the team. just play the kids get the games into them and we will be ok.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

it's looking like a good year. Scharenberg is going to be good when he gets a go. Botempelli could be anything. There seems like there could be a bumper crop of stars from the 2013 draft and plenty showing signs early.
Sharenberg looks like a very balanced footballer without many weaknesses....Although if his foot injury becomes chronic it could ruin his career. Too great a risk for us at pick 3 but the Pies probably couldn't let him slide, unless they picked Aish, which I would've done personally and in hindsight and at this early stage. The Dogs took a massive risk taking Bontempelli IMO. Very inconsistent performer at junior career. I can see him being that guy who goes missing in big games and will take a while to come on like Daniel Wells. I'm really happy with Billings. Already at AFL level he looks to be a very damaging and game changing player. He reminds me of Rioli and Wingard, not the way they play, but the way they both change games. Just wait until Billings plays 50 odd games and becomes more composed.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Would not have played Fisher, has only played about 80 minutes of competitive football in almost year, I would even think him to be doubtful this week unless he puts in a blinder for four quarters at Sandy.
As for Weller, yes he looks promising but he is a rookie, can't play him until he is elevated.
It was disappointing to lose, but hopefully they learn that you can't give any team a head start like that and then run them down.
Schneider was the big loss, his experience and great use of the ball could have been the difference.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.