Beau Maister

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Beau Maister

Milne wrote:IN
T.Lee

OUT
B.Maister
That would be okay if Lee was getting a kick, which he isn't. I notice that Siposs and White kicked a couple each though

lefty
Club Player

TBH its not all doom for Maister, lets be realistic, its round 1.
If he can fix those 3 issue's I mentioned, he'll be alright.

He really needs to be taking marks on the lead, not wrestling one on one, or leading into crash packs, he needs to be leading to space where he can take a mark out in front.

If he wants to always wrestle, one v one, then he's going to need to re-fine when he pushes his opponent out the way etc.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:TBH its not all doom for Maister, lets be realistic, its round 1.
If he can fix those 3 issue's I mentioned, he'll be alright.

He really needs to be taking marks on the lead, not wrestling one on one, or leading into crash packs, he needs to be leading to space where he can take a mark out in front.

If he wants to always wrestle, one v one, then he's going to need to re-fine when he pushes his opponent out the way etc.
He doesn't lead, he tries to get in front then tap the ball forward and catch it. Worst technique for taking a mark I've ever seen.
Back to Sandy to play the year out and let's see Tom Lee develop. At least Lee has a future.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I'd like a bit more love shown for the Maister.
He's playing a role in a developing team .
Fact is, not all players look like male models.
Bartlett, Ablett snr, 'Scratcher' Neal etc back in the day........

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

dragit wrote:I don't care how bad a guy is going, I HATE hearing Bronx cheers from a St Kilda crowd.

The guys a battler, and struggled on one of the best full backs in the comp... Kept trying though.
+1

No matter what you think of him, he's still a St.Kilda player and we shouldn't be turning on our own.......I was really disappointed when I heard that. If the guy is down on confidence, I mean that's really going to help :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Milne wrote:I hope Maister never plays for us again.

IN
T.Lee

OUT
B.Maister
Absolutely disgraceful comment
he's not the only one thinking that....look we all hope he improves...but how many marks did he drop...some of them were uncontested.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

tony74 wrote:

IN
T.Lee

OUT
B.Maister
IMH&notwidelyshareditseemsO, particularly since the recent realizations that the likes of Armo, Flint, Gilbo and Saunders can play... BBBBeau is our standout and stand-alone most underrated player!

I think that people forget that it's not easy being a key forward for the Roo-centric Saintas. :idea: Rhys Lightning, Tom Lee and Sippa all suffer/ed similar probs'. I've often noticed Beau clear on a lead, yet we've gone to Roo (often with multiple opponents for company). :roll:

Beau gives his absolute all! He competes, keeps presenting, crashes packs :twisted: , tackles, chases the length of the ground, kicks well, he's fairly agile and fairly quick, he looks-out for his mates... and it's even safe to high-five him after a goal. :lol:

I agree, the one thing holding him back is that he does do all the hard work, has his man done cold..., then drops the mark. :oops: But remember folks, to drop marks like that, first a bloke has to be good enough get himself into the position to do so... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

I remember another big forward we used to have who had the same problem... and the same initials (when using his nickname/s).

Tony, what is the club trying to do to help Beau fix this? And as I've often wondered before... has Beau's eyesight been checked...? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
tony74 wrote:

IN
T.Lee

OUT
B.Maister
Agree.
Double Agree

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

After looking at the game again Maister did quite a few good things brings the ball to ground and I think one big thing we are forgetting Chip Frawley played on him and he took him out of the game!Well done Beau!

PADDLEPOP1000
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Beau is a solid player, without be being very good or great.

Seems to be playing the Kosi role (crashing packs, bringing the ball to ground), which is arguably a required role.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I read in this thread yesterday, someone saying along the lines of a him being in the realm of too good for VFL level, and not quite at AFL standard. Fair call. (sorry who ever this was, too lazy to go back and quote).

I don't mind him, structurally he gets to the right spots and provides a contest. Though going forward, Lee/White are the preferred options.

You can only play so many kids, and at least Maister gives us a solid big body up front beside Roo.

Carpe Diem
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I hope Beau's back this week...... He should get another game.
Finey doesn't pick the side!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I hope Beau's back this week...... He should get another game.
Finey doesn't pick the side!
Why not? He picked the coach!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

IN
T.Lee

OUT
B.Maister
That's the spirit - let's see who else didn't play well and tip them out also :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:That's the spirit - let's see who else didn't play well and tip them out also :shock:
Isn't that how it works when you're picking a team? You don't usually drop the guys who played well.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Beau Wilkes-Maister

bergholt wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:That's the spirit - let's see who else didn't play well and tip them out also :shock:
Isn't that how it works when you're picking a team? You don't usually drop the guys who played well.
He said he 'hopes Maister never played for the Saints again' - ie tipped out. I doubt they would jettison someone after the first match of the year. There were others with bigger reps than Beau who were also average.

No they generally don't drop guys who played well - nor are they quick to leave out players who did not play so well - depending on roles and the next opp

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maister is extremely important

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Maister is extremely important
to whom????....his mum..???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I didn't say talented

He is critical to team structure

And to Nick R

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I didn't say talented

He is critical to team structure

And to Nick R
Hence why we will win 3 games this year...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Correct!

Possibly 4

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It seems it's either Lee or Maister so until Lee gains fitness and puts his hand up for a game Maister will be selected every week barring injury. Personally I'd like to see Longer develop as that Vickery (more talented version) type we sit in the goal square and run through the ruck. It doesn't look like there's room for all three of Stanley, Longer and Hickey.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Like to or not, Maister is our second best key forward. He works incredibly hard and yes, he's no superstar. But he presents and presents and presents, working harder than Stanley and anyone else who can be put in as Riewoldt's sidekick. Okay, he drops some simple marks, but he's in the right place at the right time most of the time and if have can't mark due to a high ball and the pack bearing down on him, he'll stand his ground an more often that not position himself so that the ball falls to the front of the pack toward the corridor.

Let's be realistic. He came to us as a 27 year old struggling defender and has worked on his fitness to be able to do the running required for a key forward role. He was never going to be anything special. But, I like him because I see a guy who gives everything and does the team things, even though he cocks it up sometimes. He no worse a player than Koschitzle was in his last 4 seasons with us, and he never crashes into Riewoldt and nearly kill him.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

cwrcyn wrote:Like to or not, Maister is our second best key forward. He works incredibly hard and yes, he's no superstar. But he presents and presents and presents, working harder than Stanley and anyone else who can be put in as Riewoldt's sidekick. Okay, he drops some simple marks, but he's in the right place at the right time most of the time and if have can't mark due to a high ball and the pack bearing down on him, he'll stand his ground an more often that not position himself so that the ball falls to the front of the pack toward the corridor.

Let's be realistic. He came to us as a 27 year old struggling defender and has worked on his fitness to be able to do the running required for a key forward role. He was never going to be anything special. But, I like him because I see a guy who gives everything and does the team things, even though he cocks it up sometimes. He no worse a player than Koschitzle was in his last 4 seasons with us, and he never crashes into Riewoldt and nearly kill him.
What he/she(?) said! :idea: Great post! :D

PS: And don't forget that it's safe to share a celebratory high-five with BBBBeau. :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hope the Maister kicks five goals and then polishes off a bottle of rum post match.