maclure on the saints...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: maclure on the saints...

stinger wrote:do you reckon that the saints would like to have goddard, dal santo and mcevoy playing for them tomorrow...????.but they give them away....why do they do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!

i agree with him...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I went to the supermarket last night and just handed over $200....why did I do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
stinger wrote:do you reckon that the saints would like to have goddard, dal santo and mcevoy playing for them tomorrow...????.but they give them away....why do they do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!

We didn't give them away.....grow up.

that's what maclure said bummer supporter....but i do agree with him...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Those clubs did lose a star to FA

But losing

Pick 2 Captain, B&F 200 gamer
Pick 1 Dual AA 200 gamer
Pick 13 Triple AA 250 gamer
Pick 9 Developing leader 100 gamer

Given that dent in our leadership

Plus the failings of
2008/2009/2010 first draft picks to play 50 games at the club

That's why we are where we are...

VERDUN
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I still have a soft spot for Gideon Haigh and I don't mind Malcolm Conn and the English cricket writer they publish whose name escapes me.

Apart from that they all get effed.

I'm trying to think of a good mainstream footy writer but I can't think of any.
I don't mind Dennis sometimes but him and Bruce together is just excruciating .
Channel 7 is just nauseating all round.
Even the abc are pretty terrible these days.
He isn't sports mainstream, but Martin Flanagan is always worth reading.

Gideon Haigh lost me when he joined the chorus, led by Roebuck, and went after "Punter". Haigh showed himself to be little more than suggestible private schoolboy rubbish, which he is. I detest the moralists who justify their positions by rabbiting on about how they play the game in the right "spirit" when they venture out onto the fields in downtown inner suburbia.

Haigh's a nose raising spiv, who chose to back a seriously criminal hack who continually tried to present himself as superior to the likes of a bloke who rose from the fibro of Mowbray, all the way to the captaincy of the country's most important sporting unit. And, while Haigh was wading in Roebuck's wake, he never, ever, bothered to mention Roebuck's beating of young African kids, which Haigh knew about, and justified on the basis he'd provided food and shelter for them.

Truly perverse, and selective. Haigh works damn hard to present an intellectual facade. When challenged he's got nuttin'. Not that he gets challenged much, which is why he went to work for Murdoch.

Gimme Flanagan, anytime. His brother writes well, too.

Great post - reckon the Flanagan's are the only sports writers worth a read at the moment. To be honest it seems that everyone is kicking the Saints at the moment and they have not even played a game!!!!

I am looking forward to watching the kids come on - Rucks are good, mids (when all playing) good, defence a lot better and the forward line is a mystery. Time to be tough Saints supporters as the thing to do at the moment is take very easy pot shots at us cause we have actually made some tough decisions that were needed. Maclure taking the easy way as usual!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes

But losing

Pick 1 Dual AA 200 gamer

Plus the failings of

Two of the examples you've mentioned for us are FA losses. BJ & Dal.

Our "developing leader" was not an a grade ruckman. He was out-rucked by the guy we kept and we effectively got a pick 8 ruckman in his place (plus some other draft picks and a player).

We clearly didn't value BJ as much as Essendon but I agree with that...He was not worth over $700k pa over four years.
Dal earned the right to chase some success as we are nowhere near competing for a flag.
Ball was a mistake.

Ablett was not a FA loss for the Cats...FWIW.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, we can try to justify those losses, but cannot deny them
Most have lost 1 we lost two, and that was following Ball

Yes, Ben is not an A Grade player.... Few are... He is a B Grade Ruckman with outstanding Leadership Qualities.
He was not out rucked by Hickey at any stage, Hickey ATM is a C Grade Ruckman who will be filling in until Longer comes good IMO

Other clubs have kept the majority of their teams together, we have a shell of the nucleus from our GF times?
Our players chose to leave for whatever reason, unlike the Heath Shaw situation where we moved him on....

kimberly saint
Club Player

dont think any them blokes dumped us or really wanted to leave, perhaps ball out all of them. All where mutual at a guess for the benefit of both parties , bj would stayed but my gut tells me the club where happy to see him go same as del and ben all so we could move forward for our next tilt in years to come with injection of high picks and cap space

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Maclure has hated the Saints ever since he was given the arse.

I wouldn't take any notice of anything he says about us.
Yes. I agree with you. He's hated the saints for a long time.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

I went to the supermarket last night and just handed over $200....why did I do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!
I invested $200 in a long term high interest loan. Will use it to buy something down the track.... hmmmmm

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bit like investing aggressively Solar....

No Guarantees there will be a return?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes

But losing

Pick 1 Dual AA 200 gamer

Plus the failings of

doesn't answer the question, did we give them away?? Or are we banking on the fact we had them for 8-10 years and can use their value to gain another 8-10 years in a high rated youngster. Jury will be out but I would rather do what we are doing then middling like the roos and blues

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bit like investing aggressively Solar....

No Guarantees there will be a return?
Of course, but better then sticking it under the bed and hoping in 3 years time inflation has not gone up. But the point is we never gave them away

FQF
In richo I trust

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

We were compensated....

The picks have shown some positive signs

McEvoy.... Savage/Longer?
Goddard.... Lee/Wright?
Ball...... Zero.. Joke
Dal Santo.... Acres

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

I invested $200 in a long term high interest loan. Will use it to buy something down the track.... hmmmmm
yeah so did my mum...lost the lot....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:
roskilde wrote:Having re watched the "Ken Burns: Baseball" documentary recently, I weep for the state of sports journalism.

Before the television reigned supreme, journalists had to have a voice, they had to bring to life the spectacle of sport with their prose. They had to create meaning for the reader, because without their service the spirit of the day was lost.

Today journalists are moralists, rumour-mongers and paid shills. Such a shame. I think the sports journo of old was quite a noble calling, it also allowed an artistic license and personal tone for the journalist. They were artists as much as they were documentarians.
The great Ken Burns. From his work on the Brooklyn Bridge, to his series on prohibition, right though his dustbowl series, always a giant. The Baseball series is the work of a master - and I don't like baseball.

It was through his work on baseball that I came to learn of the truly great Jackie Robinson, quite probably the 2nd greatest African American after MLK.

I've been to the States once, a 2 day fly by at Oracle HQ in up state NY. On the way back to JFK airport, I found myself on Jackie Robinson Way in NY City. The cab driver was an AA, and when I started telling him about my appreciation for Jackie Robinson, I got a response that started with "Goddamn, you know about about Jackie?". I told him about watching the Ken Burns' doco, and just how great a man Robinson obviously was. I got the cab ride for free, and it was a very big fare.

TOT you confirm what I say about either travelling through the USA, or overseas with Americans on the bus or boat, we Australians often known about U.S history or politics which leaves them flabbergasted . Glad you earns the respect of the tacit driver.

Ps don't forget Ken Burns' "The Civil War" one of the reasons I visited Gettysburg was because of that television series. If still leaves me buggered that from Washington D.C no one offers tours to this historic battlefield. To get there, hire a car and in my case, get totally lost in VA, MD & PA trying to get there.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

based on what i watched tonight and last night... I would have BJ back but not the other two. Dal went missing a lot last night and Mac is done and dusted spot wise with us.. Hickley won some good taps tonight and shows he's got a lot more upside.. think we have done well.. Savage had a ok night imo... want to see more of him...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dunstan was the McEvoy pick and Longer was Dal Santo