How St Kilda spiralled from a great height

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How St Kilda spiralled from a great height

When AFL Grand Finals have been shunted from memory, it is the single moments that ultimately endure.
They are the instants which together go a long way towards defining football folklore. Gabbo's run in 1964. Breen's wobbly point in 1966. Jezza's mark in 1970.
More recent epics will too be preserved in our minds in the form of such moments. Choco's choking gesture in 2004. Leaping Leo's grab in 2005, Matthew Scarlett's toe-poke in 2009.
And then there's "the bounce" of 2010.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z2wZHTtUUc

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: How St Kilda spiralled from a great height

What a meh headline.

I know we have not capitalised much at all in recent years, but really, our great height was not especially high off field anyway.

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:What a meh headline.

I know we have not capitalised much at all in recent years, but really, our great height was not especially high off field anyway.
He's clearly referring to onfield. There's no mention at all of off field issues in the article.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hack journo.

I didn't know with a whole minute and a half left in 2010 that we'd definitely have won that granny had the ball bounced normally.

Hack journo also forgot to mention 4 of the 2010 GF side are injured or suspended for round 1 also.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

Pretty sure he is just a guest writer, not a journo by trade.

dascman
Club Player

He's actually just started at The Age this week. Very promising young writer.

Oh, and saintspremiers, he did not neglect to mention that:

"Four more have bitten the dust before round one in 2014. For the second consecutive season Leigh Montagna will miss the opening round because of suspension. Lenny Hayes too fell foul of the match review panel. Adam Schneider and Fisher have sustained injuries."

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

No revalations here. Although it's a somewhat accurate summary of our plight since 2010.
saintspremiers wrote:I didn't know with a whole minute and a half left in 2010 that we'd definitely have won that granny had the ball bounced normally.
Of course it is all hypothetical, but we certainly would have had the Filth by the balls if it did.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Wrote nothing we don't already know, but didn't mention 4 years of poor recruiting from Lyon. Four years of recruiting filler players and not developing young players.
Not getting good young players from other clubs in trades like Geelong and Hawthorn have done.
Every team goes through cycles, we had ours starting at with the draft of 2000 and ending at the 2011 season. Now we are back to the beginning of the next cycle.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Everything is true. Highlighting our position. I like the bit where it is about "Seaford, Moorabbin or Junction".. Which clearly shows we aren't happy with Seaford.. Absolute joke.. Absolute Joke.. Absolute Joke.. Absolute Joke.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Good article.

Well written and obviously not for Saints tragic's who post on SS, but the casual punter reading about a club they may not support.

Nothing disparaging, actually went a bit soft on the reason why we are now a rabble on field.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Hack journo.

I didn't know with a whole minute and a half left in 2010 that we'd definitely have won that granny had the ball bounced normally.

Hack journo also forgot to mention 4 of the 2010 GF side are injured or suspended for round 1 also.

yep...this comment gives him away...

"An air of acceptance has now descdended upon Seaford (or Moorabbin or the Junction Oval or wherever St Kilda actually call home now). The Saints under Alan Richardson understand their lot. Expectations are appropriately understated."

turd...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

To be fair to us, on-field, the whole concept of the draft and salary cap is that you build a foundation whilst at the bottom then work your way up. Whilst at the top, others are at the bottom building their foundation , ready to take your spot.

The whole concept is designed to ensure that teams get a crack, then decline in order to allow others to have their chance.

So really, why the shock and mock concern to see a grand finalist do exactly what the system that got them there in the first place, is designed to achieve?

The biggest issue in why it doesn't happen more often and seems to hit the 'small' clubs more than the 'big' clubs is how the f*** the AFL use the word "salary cap" with a straight face whilst allowing 3rd party deals to take place. I mean fair dinkum, how stupid do they think we are?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Hack journo.

yep...this comment gives him away...

"An air of acceptance has now descdended upon Seaford (or Moorabbin or the Junction Oval or wherever St Kilda actually call home now). The Saints under Alan Richardson understand their lot. Expectations are appropriately understated."

turd...

That's hack 'journalism' to a tee.

Not sure who described him as 'promising' but he'd want to get that s*** out go his game pretty quickly if he is fair dinkum about being a legitimate football writer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some poor recruitment and development decisions from 2007-2010

And losing
Ball
Goddard
DalSanto

3 * 250 Game players

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

But the system is absolutely designed to ensure that you can't pay everyone enough to maintain a perfect list.

That's the absolute purpose of the entire system.

Losing Ball was a disaster for 2010, no debate from me.

But in regards to falling back down the ladder (which is what we're talking about here) good recruitment only dictates how far you fall before you're legit again.

Some think finishing 6-10th is not 'bottoming out' and is cool but finishing bottom 4 is shameful.

For mine, it makes no difference. You're either a contender or you aren't.

We aren't. And about 10 other clubs aren't either.

The big difference is that whilst we were at the top of our cycle, we played in 2 GFs. Not every club can say that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong don't subscribe to that

Hawthorn top team, recruited
Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne, Gunston from rivals whilst higher on the ladder
Sydney... finalists that recruited a 1M player the following year after winning a premiership and recruiting a lower teams best fwd?
Collingwood were better in 2010 yet could afford Ball when we could not?
Essendon a better list in 2013 yet could afford BJ and we could not?
North a better list in 2014 yet could afford Dal a we could not?

Some teams manage their list better than others?!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, no doubt some do it better than others.

But forget Sydney. Bad example. If we had an extra $1m in our cap we'd probably have kept a few too and maybe poached some guns.

Collingwood also I can't accept. The lure of 3rd party deals from them is/was the greatest rort going around.

The others have done well. But to put some perspective on it, we were a finalist for a decade with 2 GFs.

Geelong have been a finalist for 11-12, Hawthorn less than that.

So when they are missing the 8 and slipping down, I dare say they'll find it harder to lure guns and hold onto star youngsters.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forgot Dawson to Freo?

People choose to go to those clubs?

They are clubs of choice... Due to various reason, of which money is one?

The extra cap space may indicate Tippett or Buddy.... But Both
They have 3M dollars worth of talent more than us?
Franklin, Tippett, Jack, Hannebury, Richards, Jetta, Kennedy, Goodes, McVeigh among their A Graders and their B grade talent is even deeper?!
I'll compare Roo to Goodes
Steven to Jack
Joey to McVeigh

Ends about there

Perhaps Lenny and O Keefe

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where you're taking the discussion now?

We were talking about why/how the Saints went from being a grand finalist to being bottom 4 within 4 years.

I pointed out that notwithstanding 3rd party deals which 'big' clubs can afford and salary cap 'concessions' that is exactly what the system is designed to achieve. If it doesn't happen like that, then the system is failing.

This is probably why the AFL have removed the Sydney 'concession' (yet oddly let the other club keep it??) and cracked down on 3rd party deals.

Sure, some clubs will manage their lists better than others, but regardless they will still decline.

And as I said, some worse than others it for mine if doesn't matter. You're either a contender or you're not. So big deal if you're 9th or last.

Plenty of people have Geelong out of their 8 this year already - and they have a home ground advantage that only 3-4 other clubs get.

So if you're arguing that other clubs have managed their lists beetter than us - then you're most probably right.

But I'd argue that even with great list management, right now, we'd no longer a contender anyway.

The system is designed to ensure this happens.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

exodus of some of our best players we have ever had...Dal Ball & Goddard can't help.... Just watched Dal kick a ripper goal and now I feel sick in the guts.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The irony is that if we win one of those GFs then we prolly still end up in same boat but none of us would really care would we?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:The irony is that if we win one of those GFs then we prolly still end up in same boat but none of us would really care would we?
correct

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Losing gun older players now doesn't matter - as long as we get something return. Even if that is salary cap relief, then it's still positive.

What you don't want, is losing young guns now, or losing any gun whilst you're approaching you're crack at it. Like losing Ball. That was awful and an appalling decision.

The others are upsetting from an emotional perspective, but fairly irrelevant in the context of the article.

As someone said above, we'd probably still be in the same type if possie even if we won both 09 and 10 anyway.

Regardless of the actual ladder position, we certainly would no longer be a contender.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Losing gun older players now doesn't matter - as long as we get something return. Even if that is salary cap relief, then it's still positive.

What you don't want, is losing young guns now, or losing any gun whilst you're approaching you're crack at it. Like losing Ball. That was awful and an appalling decision.

The others are upsetting from an emotional perspective, but fairly irrelevant in the context of the article.

As someone said above, we'd probably still be in the same type if possie even if we won both 09 and 10 anyway.

Regardless of the actual ladder position, we certainly would no longer be a contender.
Gun old players.... they are the stars of tonights game..and probably one of the major reasons of the drop in our membership... they should still be with us to nurture our young guns.

How many are saying that they are Rats leaving a sinking ship ? Many..why ? because we are a sinking ship. we have been poorly managed from the top down and there is no way we can look for crappy excuses.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, not here to argue whether we should still have them or not. But I will argue that even if we still had them, we'd still be on the decline and if not already in the bottom half if the ladder, pretty close to it. And in turn further away from rebuilding with high draft picks.

The article sort of suggests it really weird or shocking to see team decline. I think it's completely normal and exactly what the system is designed to do.