Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

BackFromUSA wrote:This thread has been stickied for everyone to re-read before changes are made.

The only changes on the agenda at the moment are:

==> making the forum TAPATALK compliant so it can be used on mobile devices (request in with Battye)

==> making the forum open to read but to post one must be a registerted user (request in with battye)

The proposal to re-create a Saintsational website as a hub for traditional and social media updates (including official and unofficial Saints sites) has been scrapped as a Saintsational site due to the accusation that I was trying to "take over" Saintsational ... I do believe that this is a good idea and I may still do this under another name.

It is not my intent to takeover Saintsational.

IF I wanted to do that I would become ADMIN. Not a moderator.

Anyway ... this is re-opened to canvass posters WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE SAINTSATIONAL to:

(a) entice back old posters

(b) attract new posters

and make SAINTSATIONAL a place for all Saints fans of all ages!
Made my suggestions...... ignored as usual.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so the only updates before the season starts will be

tapatalk
and open up to read

?

so we'll be languishing in the the 90s this season as well yeah???

i dont think admin wants to update the site and bring it up to speed for the year we live in
had years to do this
offers been made to get coin in the past
could easily get the funds
been ignored everytime

so admin
whats the reason for not actually updating the site in to the 21st century?
because it seems over the past numerous years when its brought up on the boards, it gets ignored and we get silly little comments from you lot
everton do you actually do anything ?

do you guys WANT to see the site look and perform better?
or are all admin and site 'owners' happy to do nothing

and dont give me the old we all have lives too spill
if you dont have time then you need to stand down or we need to pay someone that can bring this site into the 21st century

lol
tapatalk and open reading

massive upgrades
one is just a click of a few buttons in the settings

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well said matrix.

You'd assume they have a reason.

Maybe it's to avoid the type of growth Facebook had achieved over the past 10 years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so the only updates before the season starts will be

tapatalk
and open up to read

?

so we'll be languishing in the the 90s this season as well yeah???

i dont think admin wants to update the site and bring it up to speed for the year we live in
had years to do this
offers been made to get coin in the past
could easily get the funds
been ignored everytime

so admin
whats the reason for not actually updating the site in to the 21st century?
because it seems over the past numerous years when its brought up on the boards, it gets ignored and we get silly little comments from you lot
everton do you actually do anything ?

do you guys WANT to see the site look and perform better?
or are all admin and site 'owners' happy to do nothing

and dont give me the old we all have lives too spill
if you dont have time then you need to stand down or we need to pay someone that can bring this site into the 21st century

lol
tapatalk and open reading

massive upgrades
one is just a click of a few buttons in the settings
Matrix I've been doing a bit research on what makes a website relevant in modern day terms and it would appear that one of the best ways you can do that is make it smartphone and tablet compatible. Now as best I can tell most of the forum software companies have lagged behind in this area and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any forum software available that is designed specifically for smartphones and tablets. This is where Tapatalk might come in, now I haven't had chance to play with it yet on SS because we are still waiting for BFUSA to determine why SS doesn't show up on the Tapatalk search engine, however once we do get across that technical glitch hopefully it will give us all a chance to review it and feedback our comments. Do you have any forum websites you could recommend we look at that are representative of what you consider 21st century?

St Lenny
Club Player

JUst a thought. Ready to be shot down. It seems that Social Media has taken over these days. Would it be better, to forget the website, and do a Saintsational Facebook page (is there one already)? That way there is no cost involved and easy to moderate. Doesn't have to be a like page, for better moderation.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:JUst a thought. Ready to be shot down. It seems that Social Media has taken over these days. Would it be better, to forget the website, and do a Saintsational Facebook page (is there one already)? That way there is no cost involved and easy to moderate. Doesn't have to be a like page, for better moderation.
Everyone ready to disclose their real identities? I think not.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
St Lenny wrote:JUst a thought. Ready to be shot down. It seems that Social Media has taken over these days. Would it be better, to forget the website, and do a Saintsational Facebook page (is there one already)? That way there is no cost involved and easy to moderate. Doesn't have to be a like page, for better moderation.
Everyone ready to disclose their real identities? I think not.
I am Spartacus.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I am Brian, and so is my wife.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
asiu
Saintsational Legend

can we have the General Forum back how it was ?
... the sub forum thing stinks ... imo.

leave the AE ,
so as there is somewhere to dump your Ham Forum trash
'n give us a Moderator ( if we have to have one)
who at the very least aint living out some right wing 1950's
dreaming.

thanks in advance for consideration.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I've noticed the last Member to join was in July 2013.

Clearly the membership sign up process is faulty.

When will it get fixed so we can get new posters on board? ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I've noticed the last Member to join was in July 2013.

Clearly the membership sign up process is faulty.

When will it get fixed so we can get new posters on board? ?
Is the membership sign-up process faulty, or is it just suffering from lethargy?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its like my place of work
nothing gets changed for the benefit of the floor, only what effects upstairs

tapatalk whatever
that shouldve been avl the day the ap was out
if the onwers and serious admin cared about the growth of the site then it wouldve grown slowly over the last few years

has it grown
?

kinda tells where they are at doesnt it
and now simon has come in and is trying to be the white knight and get forum into this century (and good on him for standing up to have a crack as well)
but you're getting no where simon
might have somethign to do with the glass ceiling above ya head and the peanuts, sorry, owners standing on it

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I know in my case, I only found the site because I walked past a supporter at Etihad who was wearing a badge or similar, with the web address, and curiousity lead me here. That was years ago now. I know there was a batch of stickers done a while back (with a few left out of pocket if i remember correctly??), is there another similar approach that could be taken??

Maybe some exposure that goes beyond the realm of search engines is the way to go. Perhaps a bit more collaboration with established supporter Facebook groups (True Sainters is a good one with 1600 followers, and "Those who shall not be mentioned" :-) have about 8000 likes) to get the forum out there??

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hows the orange hat wearers faceboop thingie going ?

he luv to plugg us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: I know there was a batch of stickers done a while back (with a few left out of pocket if i remember correctly??), is there another similar approach that could be taken??
Still got them if anyone wants 'em.

Just PM me your address.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Really feel strongly to voice something that's been on my mind...

Many Facebook sites are strongly sending a message zero trollerance in light of recent sad events following social media bullying.

I hope we do the same.

Talking footy on here should be a good experience, lets leave ego and awful words hastily spoken out of it.

I'm up for a healthy debate as much as the next one, but there is a line.

This line should not be where the mods decide it should it be, but our internal barometer should know when enough is enough.

Lets keep it to footy y'all.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Been interesting. Someone mentioned this thread to me and it occurred to me to give it a review and try and form a more "holistic" opinion of proposed changes etc.

Things I noted that seem most pertinent:

1) I noted with interest that this entire process started some 8 to 9 months ago. Seems to be a long time for not really a whole lot of change (outside the individual efforts of Simon to vastly improve moderation).

2) there was reference at soem stage to the "founder/owner" and his "original vision" for the direction of this place - how relevant is that? When was the last time that peson even posted here?

3) There seems to be a desire to complicate things with constituions and boards etc - for a forum!! Given how slowly the wheels of change turn here already, is this really a bright idea?

There really should be nothing more than a top five and top ten priority list of changes formed, and then implementation of said changes in order of priority. Shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe form a 3 or 5 person admin committee to ensure more effective administration of the site. Job done.

It's a footy forum, not the Defence Intelligence Centre for the free world........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Been interesting. Someone mentioned this thread to me and it occurred to me to give it a review and try and form a more "holistic" opinion of proposed changes etc.

Things I noted that seem most pertinent:

1) I noted with interest that this entire process started some 8 to 9 months ago. Seems to be a long time for not really a whole lot of change (outside the individual efforts of Simon to vastly improve moderation).

2) there was reference at soem stage to the "founder/owner" and his "original vision" for the direction of this place - how relevant is that? When was the last time that peson even posted here?

3) There seems to be a desire to complicate things with constituions and boards etc - for a forum!! Given how slowly the wheels of change turn here already, is this really a bright idea?

There really should be nothing more than a top five and top ten priority list of changes formed, and then implementation of said changes in order of priority. Shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe form a 3 or 5 person admin committee to ensure more effective administration of the site. Job done.

It's a footy forum, not the Defence Intelligence Centre for the free world........

Totally agree about point 3. You would think this board decides world peace. Fix it as best as possible but forget boards. if people dont like how it is run, complain and see what happens. If you still dont like it then you go somewhere else.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:It's a footy forum, not the Defence Intelligence Centre for the free world........
Yes, I'm not see too much evidence of intelligence around this site :wink:

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Not wanting to labour the point or pee on anyone's personal campfire, but the more I think about it, the more I think the idea of a constitution and a "board" is counter productive. It serves to take this place even further away from those that are the reason for, and means of, its existence - the contributors !!

We currently have an "admin in absentia" and one solitary poster in BFUSA swimming against the tide. Surely admin should either be present or hand over the reins - be in it or don't, but do not hold the place to ransom by retaining control but not contributing or even dropping in. Be here or hand over the keys !!

Next is new admin - a 3 person collective, all volunteers, and potentially voted for (could even include the current admin!).

Next is Mods - decide how many we need to moderate effectively and share the load fairly then call for volunteers. If we get more than enough, again, run a poll with the users to rank them in order of preference. If you don't vote, don't whinge.

Then the new admin can prioritise updates and functionality changes and implement them.

Really not that complex a task. If modding is a hurdle, make it for set terms of 12 months.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Not wanting to labour the point or pee on anyone's personal campfire, but the more I think about it, the more I think the idea of a constitution and a "board" is counter productive. It serves to take this place even further away from those that are the reason for, and means of, its existence - the contributors !!

We currently have an "admin in absentia" and one solitary poster in BFUSA swimming against the tide. Surely admin should either be present or hand over the reins - be in it or don't, but do not hold the place to ransom by retaining control but not contributing or even dropping in. Be here or hand over the keys !!

Next is new admin - a 3 person collective, all volunteers, and potentially voted for (could even include the current admin!).

Next is Mods - decide how many we need to moderate effectively and share the load fairly then call for volunteers. If we get more than enough, again, run a poll with the users to rank them in order of preference. If you don't vote, don't whinge.

Then the new admin can prioritise updates and functionality changes and implement them.

Really not that complex a task. If modding is a hurdle, make it for set terms of 12 months.
Makes good sense.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

One thing we do need to do is install acoustic panels on this thread - the silence is deafening !!!!! :!: :!: :!: :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I can help with that. I've got a few empty egg cartons :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I can help with that. I've got a few empty egg cartons :)
I need two to finish my low tech sound studio, so I can replicate the early Black Keys sound!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

can we get an update on this?
all of us appreciate whats trying to be done, but where are we sitting with this?
bfusa have you hit a brick wall with the so called owner?
or is it that people who do the updates just dont have time (which is understandable)

cheers