St Kilda FC needs YOU !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kimberly saint
Club Player

Re: St Kilda FC needs YOU !!

They have not even sent out a renewal for my membership from last year i only get a country cause i live in the kimberleys but still , must be busy with on field issues :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

They have had me

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Basket Case

Failed/Failing miserably in every department... In dire straits.... In a precarious position....

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Losing members, attendance poor...

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

I dunno what the official term is

Historically in football.... If you had to name a club, who is the very definition of a basket case.... I'd suggest StK would mount a strong case?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Basket Case

Failed/Failing miserably in every department... In dire straits.... In a precarious position....

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

Historically in football.... If you had to name a club, who is the very definition of a basket case.... I'd suggest StK would mount a strong case?

Seriously what is wrong with you. You sound like some spoilt kid who is upset because there side is down the bottom. We have just had 10 years up the top of the ladder. More than many clubs get. there is an easy answer if you dont like it, dont watch them if you feel like it seems. Every knows we arent going that well. We dont need you to tell us about it one way or another in just about every post. Please go follow one of your great club as you call them.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

Eddie Mcguire quite openly admits his club was a basket case when he took it over.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

BigMart the club has been 'basket case' as you have put it in bygone eras but are NO LONGER. On the field we have been one of the most successful clubs in the past 10 years and with the run of a ball or the bounce of a ball and would have had two premierships in that time. They moved from the ram shackled run done ruins of Moorabbin and built a new multi million $ training facility at a location which in the long term will be proven to be a good move.

With a decent stadium deal they would be financially stable and with a loyal membership network they would become more self sufficient.

Yes things are looking grim on the field this year but lets no forget the positives which the club have achieved in the past decade...swings and roundabouts my friend!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I must be missing something.

-New President
-New CEO
-New coach
-Just had a good crack at a non-compromised draft and will get another good crack this year and next
-New 'state of the art' multi-million dollar home base

Basket case? Not sure about that.

I'm still not even sure there is such a thing as an 'official basket case' anyway. But regardless, we're never going to be in the same ball park off-field as Essendon, Collingwood, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast etc. as long as they keep getting free kicks and handouts from the AFL so drawing a comparison with half the comp is a waste of time and is naïve. But for a basket case, we've been in the same ball park on-field with them for a decade, which is a fair effort.

Compared to the clubs in the comp that it is fair to compare us with, we're doing fine.

You just can't ignore the fact, that the AFL has set up a capitalist model where the big clubs drive the 'economy'. They have the scales leaned their way in order to maximize revenue, and the smaller clubs feed off the scraps. That's the model that is in place, and that's why you don't hear the AFL slagging off the small clubs for not making profit.
Unfortunately, they also don't defend these clubs publicly when the ignoramuses in the public and the media start flaming them - but they don't bag them because they're fully aware that they are merely victims/role players in the business model that the AFL have in place.

Sure, they could do better. But not much better - and nowhere near as well as the big clubs.

70s sainter
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:8-) Agree with you Eastern and have bought the usual 2 memberships this year and will next year too.
Unfortunately perception is law in the footy world , we have a large supporter base who follow Stkilda but will not " support club " financially .

I know a lot who will not be a member in fact they have never been a member and were all calling me for " Grand final tickets ".

Scott Watters was correct in one thing" THE club " should have 50,000 members , the bayside angle is good one the big problem with club in the past admin's
have let the club down over it's history which has been the problem.
The constant hope is the club get's the little things right in the future and we get a " Microsoft " " Apple" " BHP " "Samsung" " Revlon" " Versace" as a sponsor.
Agree sbout the 50000 members and I think the club is finally on the right track with the whole bayside thing.
As far as sponsorship goes it doesn't matter whether it's Samsung Apple or Jim's mowing, it's worth the same amount of money to the club. The amount of tv exposure , members and the clubs image has a commercial value. A major corporate sponsor isn't just going to hand out more money than a smaller company . So all that really matters is that someone actually buys the bloody package.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

To highlight how silly I find this, I'm going to break it down...

Failed/Failing miserably in every department...

What??

Just headhunted one of the best operators in the business as the new CEO. Just poached a highly regarded Director of Football from another club. Not sure what you mean by 'every department' and what you classify as 'failing', but I have to disagree.

In dire straits.... In a precarious position....

'Dire straits' is very different to a 'precarious position'.

Dire straits is extreme, precarious is in balance. If we're in dire straits, our position is not precarious - it's dire! So that's just confusing.

A pretty bleak outlook

In what sense? This year? Next year? Forever??

I'd say 6 clubs have a bleak outlook this year. And I can assure you that 10 won't make the finals. Based on history, 2 clubs will fall from the top 8, and 1 will fall from the top 4. Based on history, 10 clubs will also make a financial loss. Many of these clubs make losses most year - and some only won't make a loss due to AFL assistance. Based on history, at least 1 club will sack its coach this year too. So if having a 'pretty bleak outlook' makes you a basket case, then we're not Robinson Crusoe there.

Predicted to come last

Someone has to come last. And I'd think it will probably be us. Why this matters, I don't know. If you don't make the top 4, you can't win it - so where you finish below that for mine is irrelevant. Teams have thrown matches in order to finish last recently, so when we're predicted to come last, I'm not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about it.

If we were to get the no. 1 pick this year, that would be fantastic. Any outdated stigma about finishing last is far outweighed by getting a no. 1 draft pick in your lap.

Will make a loss

10 clubs made a loss this year. The same amount will make a loss next year.

It's pretty common for clubs to lose members and have falling attendances as they drop down the ladder. Granted though, we have fallen away in this area.

Off field issues,

What off-field issues? Show me some off-field issues, and I'll double it with off-field issues at Collingwood. Overrated myth the whole 'off-field issues' thing.

Sponsorship issues

Granted.

It was a term used to describe soldiers who had all 4 limbs amputated. Crude term, but more relevant is that it's an emotive line that is never thought out properly when used to describe a footy club. The term suggests there is no hope. Considering I've heard it used for about 5 different clubs over the past decade, and all of them are either on the way back or already back - it's ridiculous to use the term in reference to an AFL footy club.

You need to know what the definition actually is first, before you start nominating candidates.

You've basically just dragged up as much emotive language as possible to get your point across that you feel let down by a club that hasn't achieved overwhelming success, like you feel they should have - and in turn that you feel you deserve to be associated with.

That's fine. Many people link a sporting team and/club's success with their own worth as a person. The problem is, that when you use such emotive language, firstly it's almost always incorrect due to the overstated nature of it, secondly you come across as irrational, and thirdly it evokes emotion in others that causes s*** fights to break out.

You've declared we won't exist by 2016 or 2017 (or whenever it was) and that we're a basket case in dire straits. That is outright saying we can't function, never will be able to function and will cease to exist as a club beyond the next 3 seasons.

So please don't feign indignation when people fire up over your posts or challenge you on them.

Express your view, that's your right. Often I agree. But frankly, the above post is f****** bulls***.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Johnny for clearing up where the basket case saying came from. Awful really.

I thought the term basket case came from when someone who was mentally not quite right was institutionalized to weave baskets. I couldnt quite understand
how that related to a whole football club.

Your explaination, has really saddened me , and I will never use the term again.

I am happy that you taught me something though, I do learn a lot on here, once I wade through all the henny penny comments

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Mmm...

So after inept administration for years, which has put us in a precarious position (when this was stated in the past, there was complete denial... Even attack?)

We need to give? How about giving the club our money for membership, and loyally following them.... But expect the club to be run competitively and professionally...

You can only go the pity road so often IMO ..... They need to accept f*** ups and enact change.

We are almost an official basket case, and to think when this was forewarned, which was met with aggressive (ignorant) opposition?!

Of course we will always support the club, but those in charge of running it, need to be accountable for its performance also....
What do you know about baskets?

Essendon will become a bigger basket than us. Hirdy just screwed his footballing life up. I think maybe they'll be worse off

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saint6
Club Player

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

If you are the average saints supporter then yes we are in very dire straits. Fortunately some of us still pay our memberships and commit to player sponsorship in order to help our club rise back up the ladder.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

Rather than take the EASY option and just WHINGE, WHINGE, WHINGE, why don't you do something about it, no matter how big or small !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:They have not even sent out a renewal for my membership from last year i only get a country cause i live in the kimberleys but still , must be busy with on field issues :)
I hope you have rung to find out why!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

Rather than take the EASY option and just WHINGE, WHINGE, WHINGE, why don't you do something about it, no matter how big or small !!
Big whinge rather than a small whinge?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member and Eastern; I"M WITH YOU!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

A pretty bleak outlook

Predicted to come last

Will make a loss

Off field issues,

Sponsorship issues

see theres the problem Eastern we have soo many people who are all to happy to state where we have gone wrong and how we have stuffed up but these people dont offer anything up on how to improve ... its easy to point the finger of blame but its much harder to actualy get up and do something about it ... i wish the club had more people like yourself who are willing to try and do things to make things better at our club , in times of struggle its people like you and events like your loyalty march that brings our people together ... any twit can be an internet hero and beat their chest saying i told you so i told you so , takes a real supporter to realise our club stuff up from time to time but hey they are still worth fighing for they are still worth supporting and heck there are still a lot of great people involved with our club who deserve to be cheered...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Richardson’s message to the fans is to be patient.

“We are going to be young. We need to get games into the young players, so we need our supporters to be understanding and embracing,’’ he said.

“They (fans) need to jump on board and support our young team. There will be times they will need to show some patience.

“I want them to come along with the expectation that we will have a go. I am certainly not asking fans to accept or tolerate lack of effort, or not playing for the team.

“There will be times when we are not consistent with our ball use, and sometimes we will have structural compliance issues.

“And there is no doubt that if we are slightly off, there is a chance to get hurt on the scoreboard.

“But I would be disappointed if they don’t come along excited and optimistic about the young players, who will be really well led.”
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6848179644

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Johnny did you really waste that much time, trying to defend the club.... When it has been stated by all people that our new CEO has the toughest gig in footy? Why do those suggest this... And.. It was just inquired as to what i thought a basket case was, I just offered some answers of what could be... They were separate answers, independent....Contradiction not there

Oh
I do exactly what others do... Pay membership money and watch them. That's my input.

I expect those paid large sums of money to run the stkfc to do a better (good) job? Better Than has been done in the recent past!

We were certainly not a basket case, in fact a powerhouse from 2004-2010... The end came suddenly but, due to poor forward planning in that era... Like the Windies of the 80s .....

I don't subscribe to the fact that you have to be unsuccessful to become successful .... Or we had to bottom out? That's just stated to make us feel as though we can accept a 99-2002. 94/95. 80's or any other period of turmoil

I think we need to be realistic, I think we should always demand competitiveness .... It won't happen 2013-2015

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Johnny did you really waste that much time, trying to defend the club.... When it has been stated by all people that our new CEO has the toughest gig in footy? Why do those suggest this... And.. It was just inquired as to what i thought a basket case was, I just offered some answers of what could be... They were separate answers, independent....Contradiction not there

Oh
I do exactly what others do... Pay membership money and watch them. That's my input.

I expect those paid large sums of money to run the stkfc to do a better (good) job? Better Than has been done in the recent past!

We were certainly not a basket case, in fact a powerhouse from 2004-2010... The end came suddenly but, due to poor forward planning in that era... Like the Windies of the 80s .....

I don't subscribe to the fact that you have to be unsuccessful to become successful .... Or we had to bottom out? That's just stated to make us feel as though we can accept a 99-2002. 94/95. 80's or any other period of turmoil

I think we need to be realistic, I think we should always demand competitiveness .... It won't happen 2013-2015

Please tell me you are jokingotherwise you have some real issues. i could point them out but im sure your family already has.

kimberly saint
Club Player

saintly wrote:
kimberly saint wrote:They have not even sent out a renewal for my membership from last year i only get a country cause i live in the kimberleys but still , must be busy with on field issues :)
I hope you have rung to find out why!
to be honest i have not yet , but should do soon. My point is if membership renewal turned up id just pay it and be done, less chance of one more member if your relying on me to chase it up again. Look could be simple mistake not big deal , every one else wines just trying to fit in :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I just worked out why I saw your typical post.... If I check the forum before I log in to post, your dribble must not be ignored yet?...

Told you before, not to mention my family or get personal?! So because you did I'll respond....

At least haven't walked?!

I'd say, at least try and point out some points to debate, but you get abbusive when you are desperate.... Don't you

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I just worked out why I saw your typical post.... If I check the forum before I log in to post, your dribble must not be ignored yet?...

Told you before, not to mention my family or get personal?! So because you did I'll respond....

At least haven't walked?!

I'd say, at least try and point out some points to debate, but you get abbusive when you are desperate.... Don't you

There is no issues to point out. The whole post is a joke and I certainly wasnt having a go at your family. I doubt they post on here. I was having a go at you. Funny that you see this post and say you dont see others but i certainly know you look when there is a response from me. You just find it to hard to ignore. Now stop being so negative. Every club has problems and down years at some stage.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
BigMart wrote:
We are almost an official basket case...

What exactly, does that mean?

In an official sense, what is the definition of a basket case?
This is what we resemble I guess :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Well, I couldn't care less if we're a basket case. Have been in for the long haul for over 30 years. Finally got around to renewing my membership today. Alway prefer to purchase my membership outright instead of paying it off in monthly instalments. Even got the membership hoodie to go. Ah, good to have that out of the way!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!