free agents 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

free agents 2014

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6770765122

'St Kilda is preparing for a huge free agency bid. It lost Nick Dal Santo (on more than $600,000 a season) to North Melbourne and Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne and Jason Blake retired, after well-paid midfielder Brendon Goddard left for Essendon the previous year."

AUSTRALIA'S MOST WANTED

The free agents most exercising the minds of AFL recruiters

David Mundy (Frem) 28

The midfielder topping every Victorian club's wish list. Superstar. RISK: Medium

James Frawley (Melb) 25

Surely couldn't suffer another season at the bottom. Wants finals. RISK: High

Ben Reid (Coll) 24

Value sky-rocketing now that he can do it at both ends but won't leave. RISK: Low

Dane Swan (Coll) 29

Says he is a Pie for life but list turnover throws up question. RISK: Low

Bryce Gibbs (Carl) 24

Only three Brownlow votes in each of the past two seasons. RISK: Low

Shaun Higgins (WB) 25

Career savaged by injuries. No shock if he wanted fresh start. RISK: Medium

Todd Goldstein (NM) 25

No reason to leave but big pay day looms for consistent ruck. RISK: Low

Lachie Hansen (NM) 25

No.3 draft pick hit straps last year, but is his spot safe? RISK: Medium

Harry O'Brien (Coll) 27

After the circus last year, who knows what will happen. RISK: Medium

Shannon Hurn (WCE) 26

Adelaide clubs always interested but a leader at West Coast. RISK: Low

No chance to leave:

Marc Murphy (Carl), Travis Boak (Port), Sam Mitchell (Haw), Luke Hodge (Haw), Steve Johnson (Geel), James Kelly (Geel), Andrew Walker (Carl), Kade Simpson (Carl), Jarrad Waite (Carl), Adam Goodes (Syd), Matthew Boyd (WB), Will Minson (WB), Robert Murphy (WB), Matthew Pavlich (Frem), Aaron Sandilands (Frem), Matt Priddis (WCE).

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: free agents 2014

Nothing there of interest to us I would have thought….

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Nothing there of interest to us I would have thought….
Yeah, we won't be contending for probably five years so most of these guys will be 30 or older by then. I'd take Frawley, but if he wants finals soon then that puts us out of the running.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I have read that 2015 is the year we will be eyeing off for free agency.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We could pinch a younger out of contract player (or two) with a lowly finish though…..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Nothing of interest
But im keeping half an eye open on Patton...

james rose
Club Player

I'd see an argument for Gibbs.

Would complement our midfield nicely.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:We could pinch a younger out of contract player (or two) with a lowly finish though…..

Much better idea. Still a waste of time us going after a FA. We may not have hit the bottom yet.

Megamaguire
Club Player

free agents & uncontracted in 2014,15 & 16!

james rose wrote:I'd see an argument for Gibbs.

Would complement our midfield nicely.
In terms of age benefit when included i thought of Gibbs as well but not at all sure if he wiuld bring a big enough benefit .
Mind you changing clubs can sometimes spark an improvement in siome players.

Just because we have a war chest for 2014 doesn't necessarily mean we'll be desperate to use it on any player on the herald list.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club was making longer term (2015 16) plans to target a number of disgruntled 'young' guns from up north for instance. Patten gets mentioned a bit as fitting this scenario but there could well be a few others in our recruiters sights for the next 24 - 36 monthes.

Steady as she goes Saints - the pheonix will resurect itself!

G O S A I N T S ! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:We could pinch a younger out of contract player (or two) with a lowly finish though…..

Much better idea. Still a waste of time us going after a FA. We may not have hit the bottom yet.
May have list wise, but not result wise...

lloyd21
Club Player

More likely targets are GWS.

Lachie Plowman & Kristian Jaksch will be definite, as are out contract think O'Rourke would be great too

They would luv Patton but contracted to 2015 so would have to sell the farm , also Nicholas Haynes would be great get.

Also think David Myers (Ess) still a chance too ,his manager Colin Young stated was looking for a long term contract and Essendon ain't got the $ due to Goddard /Watson
on big $$$$$ could not get a deal done this year, is out of contract end of next year.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Nat Fyfe is the man.

22 years old, out of contract in 12 months. Not a free agent, but I'd be dissapointed if we weren't talking to him right now. Get in his ear for the next 12 months, send the blank cheque his way, and take him at 1 in the PSD. We will finally square up with the Dockers for RL too.

P.S OK maybe we'd need to do a trade, I don't think we'll finish bottom - close, but not very bottom....

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes, agree. The list re-build is definitely underway, but hard to see anyone other than Demons under us this season.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Nat Fyfe is the man.

22 years old, out of contract in 12 months. Not a free agent, but I'd be dissapointed if we weren't talking to him right now. Get in his ear for the next 12 months, send the blank cheque his way, and take him at 1 in the PSD. We will finally square up with the Dockers for RL too.

P.S OK maybe we'd need to do a trade, I don't think we'll finish bottom - close, but not very bottom....
Me likey !!!

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No way in hell Nat Fyfe is going anywhere
Comes from the WA wheatbelt.
Will be Skipper + marquee player after Pav goes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not even sure of that. Still have to lose our best forward and our second best onballer and one of best backmen if fit. And then there is Lenny who still could be in our best 3 onballers if fit.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not even sure of that. Still have to lose our best forward and our second best onballer and one of best backmen if fit. And then there is Lenny who still could be in our best 3 onballers if fit.
Agree but the gap has certainly closed, and the young players on our list have certainly improved from the start of 2013...
I would have thought our list will be better next year than this year, and again the year after…when Joey and Roo leave the underbelly will rise and be better at that time than the retirees were at the end...
At the start of the year Lenny was probably our best mid, at the end he was probably third or fourth….Steven and Armo really stepped up for mine…

Roo is the worry…we need a FA to over his loss I reckon.
On this year's form Milne will be covered, Blake and Kosi did little, Dal will be a loss…
Longer, Bruce & Savage are all ready to play at a level that will cover the guys above…

Overall I see our list to be at its worst in 2013.
The very top may come off a bit, but the mid to bottom will lift dramatically.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Agree but the gap has certainly closed, and the young players on our list have certainly improved from the start of 2013...
I would have thought our list will be better next year than this year, and again the year after…when Joey and Roo leave the underbelly will rise and be better at that time than the retirees were at the end...
At the start of the year Lenny was probably our best mid, at the end he was probably third or fourth….Steven and Armo really stepped up for mine…

On this year's form Milne will be covered, Blake and Kosi did little, Dal will be a loss…
Longer, Bruce & Savage are all ready to play at a level that will cover the guys above…

Well it depends if you are looking at the future or only 2014. Dal hasnt been replaced with a player anywhere near his standard and I would say exactly the same for ben and Milney even allowing for ordinary years. The players we got for them like Longer and say savage mmaybe better players in the future but not next season IMO. I think the changes we made this year will mean the list isnt as good next season but will ensure we go up the ladder a year or two earlier than I thought. Lenny was our third or fourth best mid this year but I think injury had plenty to do with that. Sadly baring injury I think 4 out of best 6 players next year will be over 30 years of age. I still think our best 6 player are in no particular order Lenny, Rooy, Joey, Sam, Jack and either Armo or geary.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote: Not even sure of that. Still have to lose our best forward and our second best onballer and one of best backmen if fit. And then there is Lenny who still could be in our best 3 onballers if fit.
agreed - we are so far off FA's its not funny

Seeya
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well it depends if you are looking at the future or only 2014. Dal hasnt been replaced with a player anywhere near his standard and I would say exactly the same for ben and Milney even allowing for ordinary years. The players we got for them like Longer and say savage mmaybe better players in the future but not next season IMO. I think the changes we made this year will mean the list isnt as good next season but will ensure we go up the ladder a year or two earlier than I thought. Lenny was our third or fourth best mid this year but I think injury had plenty to do with that. Sadly baring injury I think 4 out of best 6 players next year will be over 30 years of age. I still think our best 6 player are in no particular order Lenny, Rooy, Joey, Sam, Jack and either Armo or geary.
Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Neither played well, Ben didn't even poll top 10 B&F
No way is Sam in the top 6 now IMO.
Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Was contemplating snaring a star out of contracter a couple of weeks back. The bigger name players on that list are pushing 30. I reckon the year after may the time for a big snatch and grab.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Neither played well, Ben didn't even poll top 10 B&F
No way is Sam in the top 6 now IMO.
Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.

Siposs will be better than BJ this year. Talk about overating players. longer may only play about 12 games. Savage will be a good ordinary player. Chips baring injury would still be in our top 6 especially when i can only think of Armo or Geary as the top 6. And yes I look at the top players because they are our best player. We dont even know our middle or bottom 6.

saint6709
Club Player

Gibbs the only one I would look at

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Serious? Dal averaged 25 touches a game this year. Savage in his entire career has only had four games with 25 or more possessions. This year he averaged 14.

He's got a long way to go to catch Dal's 2013, let alone Dal's best.
maverick wrote:Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Ben averaged 20 hitouts a game this year. Longer's had 28 hitouts IN TOTAL across his whole AFL career. 9 whole games of it.

There's no logical way you can argue that Longer could possibly be better than Ben's 2013, even though it wasn't such a good year for him.
maverick wrote:Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.
Maybe. But we can't get all of that "depth" out on the park at the same time, so as usual our better players are going to be the ones who win us games.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
maverick wrote:Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Serious? Dal averaged 25 touches a game this year. Savage in his entire career has only had four games with 25 or more possessions. This year he averaged 14.

He's got a long way to go to catch Dal's 2013, let alone Dal's best.
maverick wrote:Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Ben averaged 20 hitouts a game this year. Longer's had 28 hitouts IN TOTAL across his whole AFL career. 9 whole games of it.

There's no logical way you can argue that Longer could possibly be better than Ben's 2013, even though it wasn't such a good year for him.
maverick wrote:Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.
Maybe. But we can't get all of that "depth" out on the park at the same time, so as usual our better players are going to be the ones who win us games.
Very confident of Savage getting close to Dal's 2013, wasn't talking his best, why bring that up?
Longer could be better than Ben this year, bigger leap than Savage, but Ben's second half of the year was pretty ordinary, but yes that is a bigger leap.

Both Longer and Savage's stats to date are not worth much because they were not getting regular starts, they will next year.

I thought we were talking lists, not starting 22?
I did say I think our list had bottomed out not our best 22?