Colorado trips -any value?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Colorado trips -any value?

I'm still not convinced sending the team to Colorado is of any real benefit apart from a nice trip for the boys. Seeing our games are largely played in a temperate climatic zone, I would have though a week of intense training up in the Dandenongs or down on the Mornington Peninsula would do the job just as well- any opinions you sports scientists out there?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Colorado trips -any value?

It's more of a value as a marketing tool as it makes the young players that are interested in coming to the club want to be here. It was interesting to hear Longer saying Elshaugh spoke to him despite the fact we never had a pick high enough to get him. It worked for us a couple of years later though. I think sometimes you have to make yourself as attractive as possible to new recruits as a bit of travel and excitement would be really appealing to a lot of players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My gut feel is it is of questionable value.
Dont see what is wrong with the training facility on mt bogong.
Anyways its a trend i guess. Does the afl pitch in any $$ ?

maxdis 42
Club Player

Didnt we win the cost of flights by doing that clip about the theme song?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:My gut feel is it is of questionable value.

The players helped pay their way last year and as Maxdis said we have $15000 worth of flights paid for from that song clip thing.

oldie60
Club Player

Its debatable if it has any significant physical value. I heard a radio interview with a sports scientist that stated that the initial benefits are gained from 4 to 6 weeks after which means if they go mid to late November anything gained virtually goes before the season starts. The benefit is gained through being able to start your pre season training at a more physical tempo earlier rather than building up therefore you should start pre season with a full head of steam. Its also probably a bit of team bonding and building of the list as a whole. Kennedy's commandoes used to run sand dunes and hill climbs to build their fitness so i really don't think going overseas to work at altitude really gives you any advantages.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:Its debatable if it has any significant physical value. I heard a radio interview with a sports scientist that stated that the initial benefits are gained from 4 to 6 weeks after which means if they go mid to late November anything gained virtually goes before the season starts. The benefit is gained through being able to start your pre season training at a more physical tempo earlier rather than building up therefore you should start pre season with a full head of steam. Its also probably a bit of team bonding and building of the list as a whole. Kennedy's commandoes used to run sand dunes and hill climbs to build their fitness so i really don't think going overseas to work at altitude really gives you any advantages.

It's probably more about the psychology of the players and getting them out of the country would make their heavy training loads with out games for punctuation a lot more enjoyable. It probably flows through when you think back to the torture of high altitude training and your resilience lifts as lactic aid starts burning in your legs during games. Pushing yourself in the dandenongs probably does imprint in the subconscious in the same way.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Did I read right that Brisbane only took the senior 18 to Arizona?

What a wank.

oldie60
Club Player

gringo wrote:
oldie60 wrote:Its debatable if it has any significant physical value. I heard a radio interview with a sports scientist that stated that the initial benefits are gained from 4 to 6 weeks after which means if they go mid to late November anything gained virtually goes before the season starts. The benefit is gained through being able to start your pre season training at a more physical tempo earlier rather than building up therefore you should start pre season with a full head of steam. Its also probably a bit of team bonding and building of the list as a whole. Kennedy's commandoes used to run sand dunes and hill climbs to build their fitness so i really don't think going overseas to work at altitude really gives you any advantages.

It's probably more about the psychology of the players and getting them out of the country would make their heavy training loads with out games for punctuation a lot more enjoyable. It probably flows through when you think back to the torture of high altitude training and your resilience lifts as lactic aid starts burning in your legs during games. Pushing yourself in the dandenongs probably does imprint in the subconscious in the same way.
I tend to agree, they always say that sports is predominantly what goes on in that place between your ears.

noddy
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Did I read right that Brisbane only took the senior 18 to Arizona?

What a wank.
Yep

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/. ... 6759968320

"Longer played just nine matches in his two seasons in Brisbane and usually found himself dropped after one senior appearance. Worse still, he didn't really feel part of the set up.

Voss was prone to bluntly rebuking those footballers who were not part of his core group, and many of the younger players remained unclear about what was expected for them to develop and improve in the coach's eyes.

The fringe players often felt on the outer, never more so than when the Lions invited only a select group of 18 senior players to embark on altitude training in Arizona last year."

Image In Richo we trust.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Will be good to get all the new faces together, including the coach, traded players and new draftees quickly. Good way to get to know each other. Maybe leave Markworth home at Seaford though.

Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:
Spinner wrote:Did I read right that Brisbane only took the senior 18 to Arizona?

What a wank.
Yep

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/. ... 6759968320

"Longer played just nine matches in his two seasons in Brisbane and usually found himself dropped after one senior appearance. Worse still, he didn't really feel part of the set up.

Voss was prone to bluntly rebuking those footballers who were not part of his core group, and many of the younger players remained unclear about what was expected for them to develop and improve in the coach's eyes.

The fringe players often felt on the outer, never more so than when the Lions invited only a select group of 18 senior players to embark on altitude training in Arizona last year."
Taking that on face value and nothing similar offered to the rest of the team - no wonder they left.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Great opportunity to 'juice up' on banned drugs without fear of getting busted

lloyd21
Club Player

Really then why have Collingwood spent millions on altitude facility here in Melbourne .

Stkilda have a small Altitude facility at seaford as do most clubs have within their training facilities

Eg the Olympic swimming teams always do altitude training so would think they can't all be wrong.

saint6
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:My gut feel is it is of questionable value.
um there is no training facility on mt bogong - think you mean falls creek on the bogong high plains. No roads up mt bogong and the easiest approach is an 8 km walk with a 1300 metre climb. Although a run up there every morning would make them very fit but would be a little concerned about the knees on the way down.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Those who aren't convinced about altitude training might take the time to have a chat to a doctor with any knowledge of it. You might change your minds !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Will be good to get all the new faces together, including the coach, traded players and new draftees quickly. Good way to get to know each other. Maybe leave Markworth home at Seaford though.
I agree. A good bonding experience, and a great way to quickly integrate all the new guys into the group.
The physical aspect may be questionable, but "it's all about the team vibe".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Those who aren't convinced about altitude training might take the time to have a chat to a doctor with any knowledge of it. You might change your minds !!

I would ask why the pies who have the most money in the AFL didnt bother going this year. 400k for the trip or 2 extra assistants. Id go with 2 extra assistants.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Great opportunity to 'juice up' on banned drugs without fear of getting busted
Hardly, they showed up with test kits when we were in South Africa a few years back.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

to me the same value of port going to dubai this year to train in the heat .
You only have to drive 2 hours north of Adelaide and your in the desert !

It's the wanky team bonding !

Like having " group sex with footy s luts "

In red white and black from 73
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Send them on the Kokoda Trail. Would do the likes of Armo and Sipposs wonders.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Send them on the Kokoda Trail. Would do the likes of Armo and Sipposs wonders.

Why?

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Send them on the Kokoda Trail. Would do the likes of Armo and Sipposs wonders.
The main problem with that IMO is that I don't think catching dengue fever or worms would be a great start to the preseason. It could be character building, but it's safer in Colorado.

noddy
Club Player

I don't think a bout of malaria is going to improve their red blood cell count. :lol:

Image In Richo we trust.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

What a wank.

Essendon have also only been taking a small group overseas.Was leadership group a couple of years ago.

and Hawthorn only take their new recruits to kakoda-- or where ever they now go.

It's ok Not all saints going though- Lenny's staying home in case he's needed in the maternity room

and I beleive i read somewhere a couple of others ( not named) who were still in recovery..

time will tell.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107