Scott Watters sacked: Official SS reaction thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Scott Watters sacked: Official SS reaction thread

MC Gusto wrote:Chhhhhoooooooocccccccoooooo

him and pelican are a proven sucessfull model. it's on now.

the dead wood is gone
I am not convinced that performance will change with Chocko either but the team has changed so much it will be hard to measure. I doubt if we will be above 12th position on the ladder and I could assign te blame directly to anyone.

I will say that during Chocko's Port days he basically ran the show and had problems with key sponsorship personnel. Who's going to control that? Has he gown up? This club hasn't had the balls in the past to make the early call to eradicate the issue.

In short, Chocko only had success with a more experienced player list. At St.Kilda this will result in No Change (please prove me wrong). I'm predicting 3 years in the job at best (if at all). A coach employed for 3 years is nothing aspire to but don't bank on massive improvement in this time. Pelikan doesn't have the benefit of club discipline to support his footy strategy. With it this is doomed to fail.

The Pres needs to get the club strategy clear and agreed on or those in agreement need moving on. I don't care who they are.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Thanks for the two year service Scott.

Welcome to whoever now takes over.

Don't have the energy to care too much anymore.

NEXT!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm not convinced I trust Andrew Thompson's judgement.
Has been all about 'football first' but left a massive hole in recruiting and development for 5 years.

Anyone thinking a new 'messiah' is going to change the fact we have only one good player in the core age group of 23-28 (ALF average is 8) is kidding themselves.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman said :
I suspect we're looking at a bit of a Kevin Rudd situation here.
By that I mean that the reasons for sacking him must be overwhelming, but in order to maintain some dignity no real details of the sacking will be given.
And as such it will be left for us, just like the ALP supporters in 2010, to wonder why such a great bloke had to be replaced.
Damage control will reign supreme.
You may be well right. That is the "normal" approach, but with "so much turmoil" within the Club, this cannot be quietly scotched without some meaningful explanation of what has gone on. Clear the decks now, or the rumours will continue ........

Schillaci
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
jaxons wrote:Choco will be coach

Hear it is!
Yeah! I'm a believer.

older saint
SS Life Member

This tops off arguably the worst season the club has had for communication and relations with media, sponsors and members.
Whether he deserved to be sacked or not - we may or may not know. that said I think there are a number of areas which need to join him and Laidley on the way out.
We need a strong a decisive board with knowledge and experience on business and football.
We need a football department which can work together with a structure provided and check their very large egos - coach, Phelcan and everyone else at the door for the greater good of the club. If you are able to create a successful club your repuataion will only be enhances - look at Geelong Thompson, Balme, Hinkley, McCartney, Costa , etc all worked in the structure , put the ego aside and worked as a team. It seems everyone in positions of power at Stkilda in the past few years has been about pushing their own agenda and all about them.
Media / Communications person , based on performance this season should be the next to go. Mixed messages everywhere. Lets get 1 spokesperson - at least then the message is consistent, even if it is not believable.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Another prediction correct.
Had to go!

Stuff the players banner on top.

Get jaxons photo up there so we can start bowing it! Or just a silhouette to allow anonymity.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No, heard it from people connected with the club...multiple people
The players I have spoken to disagree.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:No, heard it from people connected with the club...multiple people
Have you heard this directly from a player that was involved in hiring the dwarves? I am sick of hearing 'someone associated with the club' and 'multiple' sources.

Seriously, there is that much rumour and innuendo going on, who would know what is and isn't true.

Also, mocking a coach and expecting to be pandered to are completely different issues. I have taken the piss out of a couple of my previous employers. Did not meant that I wish for them to kiss my butt. Understandable if they were a little upset. Rebuild/no rebuild. History is crap/acceptance of mediocrity. Lyon was pathetic. I don't suppose any of these comments sat well with them, regardless of whether you personally support the statements that Scott has made or not.

This is not the best thing to happen for the club, but this issue was like a sore that just would not heal. The scab was continually being pulled off the wound and was not healing. Whether you like Scott or not (which I didn't mind him, would have been happy for him to stay if there was an improvement in the game plan and on field performance next season), something had to give. A few weeks of media scrutiny and then it will be all over and done with.

Bring on the Essendon sanctions from WADA/ASADA............LOL

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Hear it is!
Yeah! I'm a believer.

Here*

Same. What a boss.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: I suspect we're looking at a bit of a Kevin Rudd situation here.
By that I mean that the reasons for sacking him must be overwhelming, but in order to maintain some dignity no real details of the sacking will be given.
And as such it will be left for us, just like the ALP supporters in 2010, to wonder why such a great bloke had to be replaced.
You may be well right. That is the "normal" approach, but with "so much turmoil" within the Club, this cannot be quietly scotched without some meaningful explanation of what has gone on. Clear the decks now, or the rumours will continue ........
True. However if for example he had to be replaced because he he had totally lost the plot, then the Saints Prez can hardly say that can he?

I suspect the reasons behind this sacking are probably greater than most, however the reasons given will probably be straight from the standard sacked coaches scriptbook.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Have you heard this directly from a player that was involved in hiring the dwarves? I am sick of hearing 'someone associated with the club' and 'multiple' sources.

Seriously, there is that much rumour and innuendo going on, who would know what is and isn't true.

Also, mocking a coach and expecting to be pandered to are completely different issues. I have taken the piss out of a couple of my previous employers. Did not meant that I wish for them to kiss my butt. Understandable if they were a little upset. Rebuild/no rebuild. History is crap/acceptance of mediocrity. Lyon was pathetic. I don't suppose any of these comments sat well with them, regardless of whether you personally support the statements that Scott has made or not.

This is not the best thing to happen for the club, but this issue was like a sore that just would not heal. The scab was continually being pulled off the wound and was not healing. Whether you like Scott or not (which I didn't mind him, would have been happy for him to stay if there was an improvement in the game plan and on field performance next season), something had to give. A few weeks of media scrutiny and then it will be all over and done with.

Lyon was pathetic?

History is crap?

I must of missed that.

He said that the club shouldn't hang it's hat on being runners up. Truth for mine.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

You have been on the money so far, so im really hoping you are right.

I rate Choco - a fantastic teaching coach.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Well, well, well after the condemnation of Mark Fine for disloyalty, we now have posters spitting the dummy and saying they are going to tear up their membership. Nice! By the way the new coach has got to be Mark Williams and I'd be delighted with that.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Well, well, well after the condemnation of Mark Fine for disloyalty, we now have posters spitting the dummy and saying they are going to tear up their membership. Nice! By the way the new coach has got to be Mark Williams and I'd be delighted with that.
Totally agree. He has a proven record of teaching young fellas.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gone Watters

The Redeemer wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
gringo wrote:WTF is wrong with the Saints, surely they put him up to the interview this morning and now they knife him. Now Gillard and Rudd have gone someone needs to put on the soap opera I guess.

Well I am now firmly in the

Saints are rabble and are in disarray camp.

What a load of flippin crap.

They have all denied he would be sacked, then leyt him on the radio this morning, then sack him

WTF?????

Unbelievable
Theses disorganised f**** will not be getting my money next year.
i can fully understand that

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kalsaint
Club Player

I suspect we're looking at a bit of a Kevin Rudd situation here.

Damage control will reign supreme.[/quote]

Difference with Kevin is that the Caucus were clearly unhappy with he method and performance. Performance was also note as poor by polls.

Scott has the poor performance but this as related to player experience and repairs to the non existent player development previously. The fracas (if any) within the club is a result of poor club Leadership (not just the footy department) in my opinion.

This needs resolving or nothing will change.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Lyon was pathetic?

History is crap?

I must of missed that.

He said that the club shouldn't hang it's hat on being runners up. Truth for mine.
From 'my sources' there were references to Lyon that were not taken very well. Also, he publicly stated at the B&F that we have an history of accepting mediocrity. As I stated, whether you agree with his statements or not, can you imagine how that team that took us to 3 grand finals took those comments especially when we came so close? Put yourself in their shoes, not as a supporter but as players who are still desperately suffering from those loses that gave their all?

So in summary, yes, you must have missed those. I am not trying to have a go at you as I do respect quite a few of your posts. However, I do not wish to see players reputations being tarnished over rumour and innuendo.

Harvey, Lowe and Burke and a few others when through the same thing with Alves when it was said by both parties that the rumour and innuendo was not true.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I would like to see Leigh Tudor at least interviewed ,I"m a big wrap for him !

PADDLEPOP1000
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I suspect we're looking at a bit of a Kevin Rudd situation here.

Difference with Kevin is that the Caucus were clearly unhappy with he method and performance. Performance was also note as poor by polls.

Scott has the poor performance but this as related to player experience and repairs to the non existent player development previously. The fracas (if any) within the club is a result of poor club Leadership (not just the footy department) in my opinion.
Yes but my comparison goes no further than a desperate and real need to change leaders but with little detail of those reasons being provided.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We do saint75.

It's a fact.

1 premiership.

I would want the bar raised, that's just me though, I've always warmed to bosses who expect more...

Ironic they said he'd give the players a cuddle.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely we already have someone lined up?
Or will we go though the whole process?

luc1966
Club Player

Geez I'm hoping that its a big name that gets ppl talking. Without being rude if we got hey a process I'd be annoyed

stinger
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:A few panic merchants on here today.
In Summers I Trust.

a friend who heard him speak recently wasn't very impressed...called him just another shonky business type in a suit....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Armitage on twitter: WOW!
what did he say??