Welcome Luke Delaney !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Superstar
Club Player

Re: Welcome Luke Delaney !

Has anyone seen Luke Delaney play, I honestly cant recall he at all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:So, for Dal Santo, we got Pick 26-ish and Delaney.

....like we thought all along, hey? North may not even use Pick 77.

Happy with that.

Of course they wont use it. It would have been part of the deal that they got dal.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hes tough as nuts.

With Delaney and Simpkin down back at least we wont lose a fight.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'll stop using the term 'spud' now that he is a saint…

I've changed my mind, I think he'll become one of the best key backs in the comp now.

Welcome Luke!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'll stop using the term 'spud' now that he is a saint…

I've changed my mind, I think he'll become one of the best key backs in the comp now.

Welcome Luke!
Don't forget, one of our greatest Full Backs was a Spud :wink:

damienc
Club Player

Superstar wrote:Has anyone seen Luke Delaney play, I honestly cant recall he at all.
His highlights package which you can see online will give you some idea. There is a lot to like about this bloke. He is a ferocious and desperate defender. He can take a grab and has a big, strong body who will mix it with the league's big name forwards. He is what the Saints have been missing in defence: A KPP at either centre half back or full back. We now have a solid defender that we can build upon. We will get Bruce from the Giants another big bodied defender. These are the blokes we need if we want future success.

damienc
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
dragit wrote:I'll stop using the term 'spud' now that he is a saint…

Welcome Luke!
Don't forget, one of our greatest Full Backs was a Spud :wink:
Well said and too true.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
Superstar wrote:Has anyone seen Luke Delaney play, I honestly cant recall he at all.
His highlights package which you can see online will give you some idea. There is a lot to like about this bloke. He is a ferocious and desperate defender. He can take a grab and has a big, strong body who will mix it with the league's big name forwards. He is what the Saints have been missing in defence: A KPP at either centre half back or full back. We now have a solid defender that we can build upon. We will get Bruce from the Giants another big bodied defender. These are the blokes we need if we want future success.

Whats his lowlights package like? As I have said before Lenny highlights package showed a player who is an average kick who cant run fast and cant mark overhead and doesnt kick many goals but tackles well. its pretty hard to show whats inside his brain though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to say - on what I have seen Delaney is a very similar player to Mitch Brown.

But hey pick 77 beats the sh*t out using pick 25 on a very similar player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
damienc wrote:

Whats his lowlights package like? As I have said before Lenny highlights package showed a player who is an average kick who cant run fast and cant mark overhead and doesnt kick many goals but tackles well. its pretty hard to show whats inside his brain though.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-2 ... ke-delaney

I think you can see he plays with a bit of aggression and that he's a good size to play on the big forwards that in it's self is an improvement on what we currently have on the list.

On his head space I liked the footage where J Brown roughs his little brother up so he chucks the ball away and runs in and throws Brown around like he's a little girl. I love a mad c%$# on the field.
Zac Dawson was awful at the Hawks but he did a solid job as a KPB for us and we have struggled to replace him since.

I doubt he is going to be Lenny Hayes but he looks a pretty good option to me considering the dearth of KPB on our list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
damienc wrote:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-2 ... ke-delaney

I think you can see he plays with a bit of aggression and that he's a good size to play on the big forwards that in it's self is an improvement on what we currently have on the list.

On his head space I liked the footage where J Brown roughs his little brother up so he chucks the ball away and runs in and throws Brown around like he's a little girl. I love a mad c%$# on the field.
Zac Dawson was awful at the Hawks but he did a solid job as a KPB for us and we have struggled to replace him since.

I doubt he is going to be Lenny Hayes but he looks a pretty good option to me considering the dearth of KPB on our list.

Actually wasnt having a go at delaney but I was having a go at highlights packages in general. They are put together to make someone look good. Im sure LJ conners had a good one because was fast and took kids on at junior footy. Just like im sure lennys wouldnt have been the greatest.

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

He's one of ours now -- welcome to the club Luke!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Actually wasnt having a go at delaney but I was having a go at highlights packages in general. They are put together to make someone look good. Im sure LJ conners had a good one because was fast and took kids on at junior footy. Just like im sure lennys wouldnt have been the greatest.

I watch the carnivals and any other footy I can and I can honestly say I saw nothing in Nick Winmar's game before the draft. Allen Christiansen was absolutely dominating the carnival and he went later. You look at some highlight packages and they look ordinary even with a bit of creative editing.

I remember we put up Tom Ledgers Sandy highlights one week and he turned over every ball that left his hand or foot. Sometimes you can't polish a turd up. Delaney has only had 20 something games but he's shown enough to suggest he has some good traits in the highlights.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I watch the carnivals and any other footy I can and I can honestly say I saw nothing in Nick Winmar's game before the draft. Allen Christiansen was absolutely dominating the carnival and he went later. You look at some highlight packages and they look ordinary even with a bit of creative editing.

I remember we put up Tom Ledgers Sandy highlights one week and he turned over every ball that left his hand or foot. Sometimes you can't polish a turd up. Delaney has only had 20 something games but he's shown enough to suggest he has some good traits in the highlights.

Tell me you arent serious please? Ledger could have a brilliant hightlights package if they wanted to do it. Was delaneys package just one game? Have no idea what your point is with Winmar and Christianson. We are talking highlights packages, not who you thought was better.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Tell me you arent serious please? Ledger could have a brilliant hightlights package if they wanted to do it. Was delaneys package just one game? Have no idea what your point is with Winmar and Christianson. We are talking highlights packages, not who you thought was better.
i'm saying Winmar would have struggled to have a highlights package that showed anything exciting. Christiansen could have. Ledger got 30 disposals and they couldn't make it look good. Highlights packages can be manipulated to a degree but you can't fake it. You can tell something about a player from a highlight reel.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

i'm saying Winmar would have struggled to have a highlights package that showed anything exciting. Christiansen could have. Ledger got 30 disposals and they couldn't make it look good. Highlights packages can be manipulated to a degree but you can't fake it. You can tell something about a player from a highlight reel.

What would you be able to tell with lennys? Not a hell of a lot. I bet TDL had a great highlights package.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:So, for Dal Santo, we got Pick 26-ish and Delaney.

....like we thought all along, hey? North may not even use Pick 77.

Happy with that.
they must want it to upgrade a rookie or use it to sign an uncontracted delisted player....time will tell....r

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Haven't seen him play, but at 194cm and 97kg, he fills a profile and a position we desperately need. If he can play a role and develop and only 24 years old, I'm happy with that.

Carpe Diem
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ledgers last two senior games were OK

Maybe get some highlights there.... Not on a windy 12 degree day, playing in a 80 point loss

Schillaci
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote:Finally :)

Now Longer & Bruce please !!!
^ :D
Welcome Luke!

spert
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Wasn't that the game at Sandy where there was a howling gale blowing all day, and many of the players from both teams couldn't hit a target if they tried- ball going out on the full regularly etc.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to get back on topic but welcome Luke.

As part of my coping mechanism I hope you don't mind if I call you Luke Dal Aney.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Welcome aboard Cool Hand!

May you become the full back of the decade.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Wasn't that the game at Sandy where there was a howling gale blowing all day, and many of the players from both teams couldn't hit a target if they tried- ball going out on the full regularly etc.

Could have been but the others that day had a bit more quality in the highlights.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

And if you want to see Dal Aney and Big Boy McSavage, set your IQ box for 2AM tomorrow morning.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"