Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Longer

dragit wrote:"New Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has made Longer's retention a priority and flew directly from a Bali holiday to Melbourne to meet him."

Is it weird that a new coach would be away on holiday during this trade period? Pretty important time to be involved, particularly when most of your good young players are wanting to bail.
Gee whizz.
I wish Ross Lyon took a holiday to somewhere with no phone reception in October 2009 and SW last October.
Would have saved us from the 'Captains picks' of Lovett and TDL.

Different story for leppa getting involved to keep a young player though so fair enough.

Fluttz
Club Player

I wouldn't be getting rid of Stanley.
He had a bad year in 2013 but has enough ability to turn into an A Grader.
Needs a good coach and a some confidence and he could explode.
[/quote]
This + 1[/quote]

This has been said for a while.
But Jaxons you reckon hes not a ruck - which means you think he is a fwd?
I'm yet to see to see anyone in VFL/AFL history who hasnt started kicking goals at at least VFL level by age 23 who 'explodes' as an AFL fwd.
I just cant see it happening now im afraid.
No goals as a junior
No goals at SANFL level
No goals at VFL level

Yet somehow we all live in hope hes going to kick goals at AFL level.[/quote]

How many times over the years have the Saints picked up kids and "hope" they would explode into elite footballers one day, but they never do. Hoping doesn't get you anywhere.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:"New Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has made Longer's retention a priority and flew directly from a Bali holiday to Melbourne to meet him."

Is it weird that a new coach would be away on holiday during this trade period? Pretty important time to be involved, particularly when most of your good young players are wanting to bail.
Gee whizz.
I wish Ross Lyon took a holiday to somewhere with no phone reception in October 2009 and SW last October.

Different story for leppa getting involved to keep a young player though so fair enough.

Con do you really believe that coaches dont get involved in trades? Every single coach would have a huge say in all trades. As for drafting the less they have to do with it the better. If we are getting Longer without approval from SW or SW saying we need another ruckman then the club is stuffed. Imagine SW only wants Hickey to ruck with Stanley helping him and then all of a sudden we have Longer and Jolly because pelchan wanted them and SW didnt.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Would anyone entertain us giving up pick 18 & 19 AND Stanley, for Longer and pick 13? On face value, I'd probably do it...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Kernal75
Club Player

The Age is reporting that we'll part with a pick in the 20's probably 26 for Longer as we aren't trading 17 at any cost. I don't mind trading 26 ish for Longer if it gets it done, but anything higher would seem counter productive.

lloyd21
Club Player

Would be very very surprised if after getting 3 1st round picks & our list manager says they wanted 3 1st round picks thru the plan rebuild.

Then we give all that away for 1 pick earlier would make them look like idiots don't you think ?

As for Billy personally hope club secures him , former 1st round pick young fits group age demographic .
Get Jolly too , they have heaps of salary cap they need an experienced ruckman ala Steve King to teach positioning , running patterns , the ruck group are really young.

Personally hope that guys like TDL exited, still think completely strange move giving Jones a contract for next year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Would be very very surprised if after getting 3 1st round picks & our list manager says they wanted 3 1st round picks thru the plan rebuild.

Then we give all that away for 1 pick earlier would make them look like idiots don't you think ?

As for Billy personally hope club secures him , former 1st round pick young fits group age demographic .
Get Jolly too , they have heaps of salary cap they need an experienced ruckman ala Steve King to teach positioning , running patterns , the ruck group are really young.

Personally hope that guys like TDL exited, still think completely strange move giving Jones a contract for next year.
Have to agree on Jones, and probably Maister too...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Would be very very surprised if after getting 3 1st round picks & our list manager says they wanted 3 1st round picks thru the plan rebuild.

Totally disagree on Jones. No other player since Baker left can do Jones role. He ties down the Mitchells and Ablett's of the world, which in turn allows our mids to have a better run at the pill. He also negates the mid field attack which can help the defence.

No point in having young mids getting "experience" if they cant get near it because Mitchell, Ablett, Judd etc are controlling the centre.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
lloyd21
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
maverick wrote:

Totally disagree on Jones. No other player since Baker left can do Jones role. He ties down the Mitchells and Ablett's of the world, which in turn allows our mids to have a better run at the pill. He also negates the mid field attack which can help the defence.

No point in having young mids getting "experience" if they cant get near it because Mitchell, Ablett, Judd etc are controlling the centre.
:D

Personally think Dempster /Geary offer that option :D :D with better disposal anyway see how things develope

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
maverick wrote:

No one has really had the chance consistently.
I would say the following in order could do a serviceable job
Ray
Geary
Dempster

and then even youngsters like
Curren
Wright
Saunders
and even Murdoch if he can get fitter...

For me Jones is serviceable, and if we were thereabouts I would keep him, but where we are in development, I think he is a list clogger...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:

Personally think Dempster /Geary offer that option :D :D with better disposal anyway see how things develope
Fair enough, your opinion.

For me Dempster is a backman and not a midfield stopper, and Geary is better than a Jones type in skill and aptitude (will be a poor mans Paul Kelly by the end of it)

Either way, neither have the pace or positional smarts to play on an Ablett or Mitchell successfully as Jones does.

However the problem with a Jones is that while he can stop, the opposition loves it when he is setting up the attack (compared to Dal for example), because while he accurace stats aren't too bad, it is the way it is delivered, slowing the game and attack down.

Jones has limitations but his benefits to a developing team I believe far outweighs these limitations.

Anyway I've strayed from topic, apologies.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Im not sure if you are saying they shouldnt have been signed up or should go depending on who we get. if its the second opinion then we need a new list manager as both were signed very late in the season when there was no need to. If its the first opinion i probably agree with you especially maister.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Im not sure if you are saying they shouldnt have been signed up or should go depending on who we get. if its the second opinion then we need a new list manager as both were signed very late in the season when there was no need to. If its the first opinion i probably agree with you especially maister.
Shouldn't have been signed, agree we need a new list manager if we sack them now....

derby Street
Club Player

Brooks was a first round pick we also paid a high price for by also giving the Power a first round pick for (7) ? Let's hope this one doesn't turn out the same.

citywest

I think if we can get Longer using the Buddies compo pick (pick17?), then we have done very well. It basically means that McEvoy has been traded in exchange for Longer and Savage. Both are younger than McEvoy and both have more upside than McEvoy. You gotta be happy with that surely?

We would go into 2014 with 2 ruckman ready to go and finally Stanley can play CHF and also chop out in the ruck.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

With Dal Santo leaving the club we need some positive trade news. jaxons any update mate?

citywest

When do we find out what compo pick we get for Dal?

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

citywest wrote:When do we find out what compo pick we get for Dal?
5:00pm today.

citywest

I hope it is straight after our second pick because if it is not then we have been shafted. Imagine if the Dees get band 1 for Sylvia and we get band 4 for Dal. One hour and 53 minutes to go before we find out.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I hope it is straight after our second pick because if it is not then we have been shafted. Imagine if the Dees get band 1 for Sylvia and we get band 4 for Dal. One hour and 53 minutes to go before we find out.
Sylvia on 400k x 3
Dal 450k x 3

I reckon we'll be band 2/3
The Dees 3/4

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Gee whizz.

Con do you really believe that coaches dont get involved in trades? Every single coach would have a huge say in all trades. As for drafting the less they have to do with it the better. If we are getting Longer without approval from SW or SW saying we need another ruckman then the club is stuffed. Imagine SW only wants Hickey to ruck with Stanley helping him and then all of a sudden we have Longer and Jolly because pelchan wanted them and SW didnt.
Yeah I know they do in the real world.
Im just saying in a perfect world they wouldnt. Its a conflict of interest.
I am talking about drafting - not trades. eg TDL and Lovett were both drafted. I suppose whats a trade and whats the draft?
Anyway.
I think its better if you have expert trade/list mgt/recruitment handling things at this time of year.
Coaches get too emotional and can be looking after their own short term interests.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Gee whizz.

Yeah I know they do in the real world.
Im just saying in a perfect world they wouldnt
Its a conflict of interest.

No its not for exact reason i said regarding Longer. SW may want only 2 ruckman in the side including stanley and pelchan may want 3. You cant have the head of footy and the coach at odds over the type of player being recruited.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:The Age is reporting that we'll part with a pick in the 20's probably 26 for Longer as we aren't trading 17 at any cost. I don't mind trading 26 ish for Longer if it gets it done, but anything higher would seem counter productive.
Were did we get 26 from?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:The Age is reporting that we'll part with a pick in the 20's probably 26 for Longer as we aren't trading 17 at any cost. I don't mind trading 26 ish for Longer if it gets it done, but anything higher would seem counter productive.
Were did we get 26 from?
I think our Dal Santo compensation will be around that mark, possibly a touch lower.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Were did we get 26 from?
I think our Dal Santo compensation will be around that mark, possibly a touch lower.
If we end with say pick 39 for Dal it will be a complete balls-up.

I really want pick 22. I think thats fair.

22 for Dal and say 37 for Sylvia.

Most people would agree with that.