I think Dal To North via Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Dal To North via Pilfering

st.byron wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Yes losing Dal Santo is very sad (if true) in more ways than one. Not only Dal, really most quality players to depart the Saints have wanted to stay. Ball, Goddard also McEvoy. Different circumstances but all could still be in the side.
Ball didn't want to stay enough. Still - Lyon carries the bag for that.
But Goddard???? He didn't want to stay. He wanted more money and left because of it. Could easily of stayed if he was happy with a lazy $650,000 p.a for three years.
Dal - He hasn't made any publice noises at all about wanting to stay. Reckon he's tempted by having another shot at a flag.....
Are you sure? These are just 2 of the articles, took about a minute to find.....

"I would love to stay a Saint," Dal Santo said...

"I'm pretty sure Dal's got a contract next year and he's expressed a desire to stay around the club." Nick Riewoldt

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 6718036070

Also this Age piece doesn't read like someone who wants to leave....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 2qfwl.html

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote: You really need to chill out with some of the stuff you come out with.....'romance & remembering the past' (where do you get this from?)

Point was in 2013 Port came from cellar dwellar to top 8 - with minimal changes to the playing list, and a tweak of the game plan plus a new coach. You don't need to be fodder for other teams each week while rebuilding.

Show the posts where I 'demonized' the footy club? Many supporters are p!ssed off with losing McVoy & probably Dal Santo. We're allowed to vent without being slammed.

Dal is a damn fine player who could have another 4-5 years in him. Great message it sends to Steven, Armitage & co seeing team mates jettisoned
Im chilled out but Port have one of the youngest lists in the AFL which they spent 5 years rebuilding from the draft.

Hardly an overnight success and they lost good players after finishing runners up.
Shaun Burgoyne is as good as Dal and left at his peak.

They went for talented youth and did the hard yards getting them to the 50 game mark.

Im just pointing put your thesis as a nonsense.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal To North via Free Agency

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We lost Carl and Stewie over a few of years. Nothing has changed through FA.
who?

get away with ya you old git..

Sorry Plugger, Hall, Everitt and about 10 others.
Oh "plugger66 my love will you get your punctation correct please. I implore you!

I've been away from this site for a couple of months (cricket watching put footy rumours and inuendo into far disatnat pastures for me, thank God).

Now as I read through this thread I became at first confused and then excited............................ "Yipee I've caught Plugger66 out" :D :D :D
"plugger66" and "SaintPav" are one of the same - or so I deduced from the snippets from the above posting.

It reads like "plugger66" is replying to "SaintPav" calling him Plugger. in the following quote............. ie., Sorry Plugger, Hall, Everitt and about 10 others........

I was so excited.................... women's logic wins out again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P Yipee,,,,,,,,I've caught the fraud "plugger66" out :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: "plugger66" shall be reported to the mods for using 2 nics............ Ha! Ha! got him.

Oooooooooooooooophs then I realise he muddled up his punctuation. Dear Plugs, don't you realise old fella, the coma should have come after the word Sorry. Then dear old fella your sentence wouldn't be ambigious and confuse this old dear?

It must be so disappointing for your parents to put you through schooling and then to find out you don't know when/how to punctuate your sentences. Shame Pluggsy one :( :(

Oh folks, I'm so, so sad that my exposure of "plugger66" and "SaintPav" was so far off the mark. I put it down to jet lag on my part, I hope you excuse me?

Humblest of apologies to you "SaintPav" < grovel, grovel, grovel> (can't find any grovel emoticons for you SP :wink: )

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Are you sure? These are just 2 of the articles, took about a minute to find.....

"I'm pretty sure Dal's got a contract next year and he's expressed a desire to stay around the club." Nick Riewoldt

Fair call.
What I should have said more clearly was that the club all along has said the trade will only happen if Dal agrees to it. That reads to me that they are willing to give him the option to stay. Whether that's true or he's just a pawn, I don't know.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Port were a runner up in 2007.
Basket case for four or five years.
Bankrupt.
Rabble.
Hopeless on field. Worse off it.
The works
Built a new side with youth from the ground up using the draft.
2013 - 4th youngest list in the AFL.

Now all anyone remembers is the last 6 months as though it was plain sailing for them and some overnight success.

We just had one bad year and noone can take it.
Have people forgotten what it takes to build a succesful side ?

Time to man up Saints fans.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

When is the aggressive trading going to happen. If we lose Dal to north for pick 20+ ill be pretty upset.

Gershwin
Club Player

70s sainter wrote:Anything less than the end of a first round pick for dal will be a complete failure. We will really miss his polish next year so must be compensated enough. One bonus if Delaney is tied up in the deal, it will make us a little less desperate for a defender in gws s eyes, so hopefully it plays into our hands a little better.
"However it is understood the Saints would be unlikely to want to part with Dal Santo if they were to only receive a third round compensation pick which would give it pick No.38 in the AFL National Draft.

It is why discussions have dragged on and the Saints have been reluctant to declare their position with certainty."

What a disaster that would be!

summertime and the living is easy ........
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
70s sainter wrote:Anything less than the end of a first round pick for dal will be a complete failure. We will really miss his polish next year so must be compensated enough. One bonus if Delaney is tied up in the deal, it will make us a little less desperate for a defender in gws s eyes, so hopefully it plays into our hands a little better.
"However it is understood the Saints would be unlikely to want to part with Dal Santo if they were to only receive a third round compensation pick which would give it pick No.38 in the AFL National Draft.

It is why discussions have dragged on and the Saints have been reluctant to declare their position with certainty."

Unfortunately ts a gamble!!

Why the AFL cannot tell a club what a player is worth a mystery - I mean they can calculate the outcome after the trade has been done but not before yet the information they would have to make their decision they would have before as well.

ie: this is what FA player is being paid - this is what the club he is going to is going to pay him - this is his age - here are the B&F results etc ....... now can you please tell us what we will receive before we go ahead and let him go ..... or decide to match the other clubs offer - or in Dal's case let him become a free agent

It is just a waste clubs time trying to second guess the compensation pick they will receive. So much procastination would be put aside if the AFL had a transparent system in place rather than a system where the lines are blurred between the FA gradings

If we knew Dal was only worth a 3rd rounder we would have triggered his extra year - problem is we dont - so the deliberations continue why we try and second guess the AFL

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We lost Carl and Stewie over a few of years. Nothing has changed through FA.

Sorry Plugger, Hall, Everitt and about 10 others.
what makes you so intent on turning the knife in our guts a couple of more times?..................

Bloody sad to see Dal go, presuming it's true. Yes I can look to the future, but just for the moment I'd like to dwell on my/our loss. Obviously plenty are in a similar mood................

Funny but I would have thought the initial post that i commented in was way more negative to mine. I was actually just saying nothing has changed. Its not the end of the world. We have come up previously even though all those players have left. We will come up again even if dal leaves and if he is the only senior player to leave then we may actually rise quicker than if he doesnt leave.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Getting pick 38 would be an absolute disaster.

I have read speculation, opinion, opinion stated as fact, baseless rumors and hopes from all sides of the fence on this.

The only facts I can gather are that North clearly stated their intention to have us release Dal as a free agent so they didn't have to give up anything for him. They want him to add a piece to their premiership tilt. We don't want to lose a champion of the club for peanuts. We want it resolved quickly. We want Delaney and don't want to mix that up in any Dal Santo deal.

I just hope that if we lose Dal Santo that we are well compensated for it.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Gershwin wrote:

Read that last night too. Even 19 vs 22 will become 20 vs 25/26. I wouldn't take 26 for Dal and am only marginally happy with 20... He will be one of those types to play to 36 or so imo

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

So if we end up with 3, 18, 19, 20 (or however it all works after compo picks), what are the chances of Garlett getting picked with the fourth of those picks?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:So if we end up with 3, 18, 19, 20 (or however it all works after compo picks), what are the chances of Garlett getting picked with the fourth of those picks?
Dont think he would be one of those.

Do we have a pick after those 4? if about he may be a speculator with our last.

Think the strategy is to go for four 18 y.o.'s

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
True Believer wrote:So if we end up with 3, 18, 19, 20 (or however it all works after compo picks), what are the chances of Garlett getting picked with the fourth of those picks?

If we are only going to use 4 picks and we have done our due diligence (and it came up trumps) then I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the trigger with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick on Garlett.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

.....St Kilda can still activate the trigger clause in Dal Santo's contract, meaning North would be required to work a trade with us to secure Dal's services, thus eliminating North's low ball contract offer to Dal, that would only yield us a band 3 compensation pick.

Is all of the above correct? Or am I missing something here?

Seems like North are playing hard ball and trying to bend us over, I think we should trigger the contract clause and tell North to take a long walk off a short plank.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

If we are only going to use 4 picks and we have done our due diligence (and it came up trumps) then I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the trigger with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick on Garlett.

Suppose so.

Will be interesting on draft day. If we have 18,18,20, we should have all our ducks in place and call out those names very quickly.

I will have a chuckle if we need to take an extra 2 minutes on any of those :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Suppose so.

Will be interesting on draft day. If we have 18,18,20, we should have all our ducks in place and call out those names very quickly.

I will have a chuckle if we need to take an extra 2 minutes on any of those :D
No doubt the front page headline the next day will be "Saints in Disarray"

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

There has been no deal done.

There was no photograph of Dal in a NM jumper on the front page of the HS this morning.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Report on the AFL trade page on Facebook that the Dal compensation is straight after our round two pick - what is that 22, then 25 after compo picks are added ? Would leave us with 3, 18, 19 & 25.

If Jaxons is right and Longer is coming to us you would think for 19 or 25, then Stanley out to Port for 14 maybe?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Stanley out to Port for 14 maybe?
wash your mouth out!!
8-)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The way I see this Dal thing;

North are desperate to "Shaft" someone this trade period and a club that has Chris Pelchen involved would make it sweeter for them (remember Jonathon Hay & Nathan Thompson). They might have slipped up on two fronts here;

1. Dal is a loyal person who has morals & principles

2. Chris Pelchen is a pretty smart operator

!!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Fair call.
What I should have said more clearly was that the club all along has said the trade will only happen if Dal agrees to it. That reads to me that they are willing to give him the option to stay. Whether that's true or he's just a pawn, I don't know.
Fair enough. I will go with the latter, Dal being a pawn in the bigtime rebuild. If they want to trade him, he'll say okay, I understand. What, can he force them to keep him? In other words if you feel your not really wanted, maybe go to someone that covets you.

The 'the trade will only happen if Dal agrees to it' is just sounds like propaganda for disenchanted supporters IMO.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Does anyone know whether the promised Board meeting is going ahead today and, if so, at what time?

Although it wouldn't ordinarily be Board business, I wonder to what extent the final decision on trading Dal might fall to it, particularly if the FA compo is in any doubt.

Always loyal
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

From Afl website

4.35pm: Peter Ryan says there are no updates on Nick Dal Santo but the free agency deadline looms at 2pm tomorrow. The Saints are having a board meeting today where some of their trading decisions are sure to be on the agenda.

http://www.afl.com.au/trade-period/trad ... orkstation

Before Im 85
mullet
Saintsational Legend

I just really want to keep him.

For once I would just like to see a player say, nup, I love the saints and want to stick around and help with the rebuild, and the club say, Dal is too much of a great club man
to let go to another club.

I know this doesnt go with all the great trading thinking, it just goes with the great bloke, nice story , thinking, which I reckon the club could use right about now.

I know , I am soft :oops: