I think Dal To North via Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal To North via Free Agency

f*** giving GWS a decent pick...

Bruce us unproven... and certainly not needed by them.

We now have MASSIVE salary cap space.

Bruce can go to the PSD, put a high price on his first year... Melbourne will baulk.

Rosco
Club Player

Suck it up fellas

We will finish bottom 3 next year with or without dal

Dal has been a great servant, but is going. It's his choice. He has earnt that choice. If he's only going to help us out, as has been mentioned at some point, then what a guy. But we need to move forward, dal getting 300 in the rw&b doesn't really help us or him. My 5 year old son's favorite two players in his life are bj and dal, but he can understand, so can we.

Rebuild, with our best opportunities (obviously no guarantees, ever), hope for the best and support the club.

We had dal for his best years, I can reconcile FA on the basis that when you draft a kid you get them for 10 years, after that they are their own man. More than fair.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Free agency has changed footy. It's much the same as EPL and US sports where players often move for more money, the good of the club or a combination of both. No use taking it to heart, we'll get our opportunity at a free agent when we're a team back on the rise. Good luck to Dal with his future at the Roos.
Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?
Why wouldn't we? Don't know mate each to their own. Just saying it won't achieve anything because this is footy nowadays. It happens all the time in most sport. Look at rugby league, union and international sports. Not saying don't admire the players but support the club not only the individuals.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Free agency has changed footy. It's much the same as EPL and US sports where players often move for more money, the good of the club or a combination of both. No use taking it to heart, we'll get our opportunity at a free agent when we're a team back on the rise. Good luck to Dal with his future at the Roos.
Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?

We lost Carl and Stewie over a few of years. Nothing has changed through FA.
who?

get away with ya you old git..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote: Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?

who?

get away with ya you old git..

Sorry Plugger, Hall, Everitt and about 10 others.

70s sainter
Club Player

Anything less than the end of a first round pick for dal will be a complete failure. We will really miss his polish next year so must be compensated enough. One bonus if Delaney is tied up in the deal, it will make us a little less desperate for a defender in gws s eyes, so hopefully it plays into our hands a little better.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I

am

AWARE...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sax
Club Player

PJ wrote:Why are ppl saying pick 22 for Dal? Is that confirmed? I've heard pick 19.
Band 1 = 1st Round
Band 2 = end of 1st round
Band 3 = 2nd Round
Band 4 = end of 2nd round
Band 5 = 3rd Round & beyond.

Daisy & Buddy will be band 1, so pick 11 & 19 respectively (have to follow former clubs 1st rd picks)
Gold Coast have activated an end of 1st round compo pick which will be 20.
The way I see it, if we received band 1 it would be pick 4, band 2 would be 21, band 3 would be 24, band 4 would be end of 2nd round, band 5 could be anywhere!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
howlinwolf
Club Player

Rosco wrote:Suck it up fellas

Dal has been a great servant, but is going. It's his choice. He has earnt that choice. If he's only going to help us out, as has been mentioned at some point, then what a guy. But we need to move forward, dal getting 300 in the rw&b doesn't really help us or him. My 5 year old son's favorite two players in his life are bj and dal, but he can understand, so can we.

Rebuild, with our best opportunities (obviously no guarantees, ever), hope for the best and support the club.

We had dal for his best years, I can reconcile FA on the basis that when you draft a kid you get them for 10 years, after that they are their own man. More than fair.

Mate.. you are the voice of reason !
While it does hurt so soon after the bandaid has been ripped off, it is for the better.
Agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. Most will in the cold light of day.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
markp
Saintsational Legend

Agree.

When 2016 soon rolls around and we can go shopping people will be grateful the club chose and stuck to this strategy.

As for the running down of our list... seems to me the same thing has happened with our national cricket, soccer, and rugby teams. The only difference is they dont get draft picks!

I'll alway believe it was a reasonable strategy to try top up and go hell for leather at a flag in those years, even if it meant inevitably bottoming out immediately after.

And if this is as bad as it gets... big freaking whoop. (Well, nothing's as bad as playing in 3 gf's straight and coming up short!)

The future's bright, AFAIC.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
PJ wrote:Why are ppl saying pick 22 for Dal? Is that confirmed? I've heard pick 19.
Band 1 = 1st Round
Band 3 = 2nd Round

Daisy & Buddy will be band 1, so pick 11 & 19 respectively (have to follow former clubs 1st rd picks)
The way I see it, if we received band 1 it would be pick 4, band 2 would be 21, band 3 would be 24, band 4 would be end of 2nd round, band 5 could be anywhere!
We finished below Gold Coast so our band 2 pick for Dal would come before theirs (20).

Rosco
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:
Rosco wrote:Suck it up fellas

Mate.. you are the voice of reason !
While it does hurt so soon after the bandaid has been ripped off, it is for the better.
Agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. Most will in the cold light of day.
Thanks. It's this or me opening a second bottle of red.

karnaby
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote: Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?

what makes you so intent on turning the knife in our guts a couple of more times?..................

Bloody sad to see Dal go, presuming it's true. Yes I can look to the future, but just for the moment I'd like to dwell on my/our loss. Obviously plenty are in a similar mood................

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
sax
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
sax wrote:
Band 1 = 1st Round
Band 3 = 2nd Round

We finished below Gold Coast so our band 2 pick for Dal would come before theirs (20).
Yep, my mistake, it will be around the 20 mark depending on other compo picks.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Before Im 85
|Andy|
Club Player

We should make North Melbourne swap their 2nd rounder for our 3rd rounder along with the Delaney trade if we let Dal Santo go via Free Agency. That way North won't just get something out of nothing (which they shouldn't since we hold all the cards), and we get more than just a 2nd rounder for Dal Santo.

Rosco
Club Player

if they take him via FA we can't make them do anything.

be happy we're getting delaney for almost nothing (if that's true)

asaint
Club Player

Please don't be true. I want him to stay. Has another 3-4 years left in him. A champ, who wants to stay.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Dal To North via Pilfering

cwrcyn wrote:I have to say that of all the players to depart St Kilda, this one I am the saddest about.
Particularly with the knowledge that he wanted to stay .
Yes losing Dal Santo is very sad (if true) in more ways than one. Not only Dal, really most quality players to depart the Saints have wanted to stay. Ball, Goddard also McEvoy. Different circumstances but all could still be in the side.

Losing a class mid, when that's exactly what the Saints need!

Can't teams rebuild without trading off their best players? Other clubs seem to have managed it, also look at Port this year.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote: Can't teams rebuild without trading off their best players? Other clubs seem to have managed it, also look at Port this year.
Port ?
They just spent 5 years down the bottom re building from the draft ?
Do you have a stomach for that ?
They were runners up in 2007.

From that side they moved on Chad Cornes who was a club legend.
Danyule Pearce. David Rodan. Shaun Burgoyne who is a club legend and every bit as good as Dal or BJ.
Whats the difference ?
People have very short memories and seem to romanticise other clubs and demonise our own without proper comparison.

Is Dal going to be in our next GF team ? No.

So should we keep him on so we can remember the past ?

SuperDuper
Club Player

chook23 wrote: pick 22 for bruce....................overs?
maybe we get something back..... ?
e..g they will maybe have 28 form the Shaw/Adams deal...
Maybe it will be

22+ fisher <-> 28+bruce
??

SuperDuper
Club Player

Oh, and good luck to Dal.

Definitely sad to see him go and i expect huge support from saints fans when we face North next year.

He leaves with respect, that is for sure.

I hope he finds success at North and that we use the draft pick wisely so that his legacy at our club lives on

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote: Can't teams rebuild without trading off their best players? Other clubs seem to have managed it, also look at Port this year.
Port ?
They just spent 5 years down the bottom re building from the draft ?
Do you have a stomach for that ?
They were runners up in 2007.

From that side they moved on Chad Cornes who was a club legend.
Danyule Pearce. David Rodan. Shaun Burgoyne who is a club legend and every bit as good as Dal or BJ.
Whats the difference ?
People have very short memories and seem to romanticise other clubs and demonise our own without proper comparison.

Is Dal going to be in our next GF team ? No.

So should we keep him on so we can remember the past ?
You really need to chill out with some of the stuff you come out with.....'romance & remembering the past' (where do you get this from?)

Point was in 2013 Port came from cellar dwellar to top 8 - with minimal changes to the playing list, and a tweak of the game plan plus a new coach. You don't need to be fodder for other teams each week while rebuilding.

Show the posts where I 'demonized' the footy club? Many supporters are p!ssed off with losing McVoy & probably Dal Santo. We're allowed to vent without being slammed.

Dal is a damn fine player who could have another 4-5 years in him. Great message it sends to Steven, Armitage & co seeing team mates jettisoned
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 17 Oct 2013 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mehhh....we all knew it was coming.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Yes losing Dal Santo is very sad (if true) in more ways than one. Not only Dal, really most quality players to depart the Saints have wanted to stay. Ball, Goddard also McEvoy. Different circumstances but all could still be in the side.
Ball didn't want to stay enough. Still - Lyon carries the bag for that.
But Goddard???? He didn't want to stay. He wanted more money and left because of it. Could easily of stayed if he was happy with a lazy $650,000 p.a for three years.
Dal - He hasn't made any publice noises at all about wanting to stay. Reckon he's tempted by having another shot at a flag.
McEvoy is nowhere near in the class of the other three.