Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

People with plans succeed.

Pelchen has a plan so I would rather this than a recruiting team or head of football that is keen on just getting as many young kids at pick 60-80 in the draft just to stack numbers.

The higher the pick, the higher the (usual) chance of becoming a good player.

If we are to attain 12 picks in the next 4 years that are top 20, some will be strong hits and some will be huge misses.

If the majority become guns then rebuild done, Dean Polo can be brought back as the 22nd player...experienced and all.

But seriously, the bloke with the plan and the fantastic CV should be given time to complete the task.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

good read but i was a bit taken back by the some of the stuff on page two
I mean hutchison a plushophiliac and who would have guessed nettlefold being into necromancy !

In red white and black from 73
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

saintact7 wrote:Appreciate the adice from him but I remain unconvinced.

It's all well to have a bundle of top 20 draft picks but it's what you do with them that counts. Our first round choices over the last few years have in the main been spectacularly unsuccesful. One exception, who played good solid football, great clubman, possible future captain and a RUCKMAN has now been traded.

And now talk of recruiting Jolly as an interim measure flies in the face of what Pelchen is saying I think.

But will hold fire till after the draft period and see what we get. But lots of holes to fill, eg big key defender, now a ruckman and an elite forward to take over from Roo. Don't over obsess with midfielders!
The current recruitment / list management team has been together as a group for the last 2 drafts. I think they have done a good job overall bringing in mostly good young recruits with a future. With their track record I'm willing to be optimistic to think they will get it mostly right with the early picks they are accumulating.

We'll documented prior to the last 2 drafts that our recruitment was been generally poor for a number of years. And also agree that the Jolly talk is counter intuitive.

As I've said numerous times before, I feel like we are building a much better balanced list this time that does not rely on 4 or 5 superstars firing as our GF teams of the past 20 years have.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Every Grand Final side has 4/5 superstars.... They win them

Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell, Roughead, Rioli

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Every Grand Final side has 4/5 superstars.... They win them

Failed to perform in this years Granny and they still won.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because a lot of planning went into them....

If Crowley went to Lewis (who played well) how would Sam have played...

How would have Jack played without Roughy and Buddy

Great players not only have an impact themselves, they allow others to play better...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The key to this plan yielding results will be to resist calls from the lunatic fringe to sack the coach in round 16 in 2014

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

perfectionist wrote:Translation: "Don't expect anything in the next ten years."
:?:

P, are you referring to whole team here, or just Jack Steven? :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Every Grand Final side has 4/5 superstars.... They win them

You obviously don't subscribe to the champion teams beat a team of champions? My view is Hawthorns top 5 are very very good but it's the extraordinary depth that sets them apart. The 23 and 24 players at the hawks would be walk ups at most other clubs. The absorbed the loss of two very high grade players and went on to win the Premiership.

Unfortunately our 2010 GF teams fell away at about 19 where we had a choice of very inexperienced or below par players.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:The key to this plan yielding results will be to resist calls from the lunatic fringe to sack the coach in round 16 in 2014
Amen to that.
(Better bookmark this and bump it in round 16.)

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Champion teams have champions

Name a premiership that doesn't have 4 elite players?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Champion teams have champions

Name a premiership that doesn't have 4 elite players?

s*** teams have four elite players too.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And by elite I mean better than or equal to Hawthorn, Geel, Sydney, Freo best 4??

Do we.... Nick

Do Melbourne..... .????

Do WB..... Griffin

Do GC Suns..... Ablett??

Do Brisbans

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And by elite I mean better than or equal to Hawthorn, Geel, Sydney, Freo best 4??

Do we.... Nick

Do Melbourne..... .????

Do WB..... Griffin

Do GC Suns..... Ablett??

Do Brisbans
Well that's impossible to measure but I will say Jack, Joey, Roo, dal would all slot in to most sides at the top.
Jones, Frawley, Clarke, Grimes and Hogan should be.
Bulldogs have Griffen, Murphy, Morris, Liberatore
Suns Ablett, thompson, O'Meara, Bock, Harbrow, Martin by all reports.
Brisbane, rockliff, brown, Leuenburger, Beams, Zorco

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
st.byron wrote:
BigMart wrote:A cynic would call it a desperate act, buying time.... Lucky I'm not cynical....

Seriously, as I stated clearly... A good read

But something I would expect from a professional at a professional organisation.... This is not a local footy club

Great. So can't we get a bit excited and impressed about it without being told we're having a 'mutual wank'? Yes, proof will be in the pudding. But at the very least it's a professional and articulate statement that there's a plan going on and encouragement to hang tight with the club. Looks to me like they're doing everything possible to make a genuine change in the club's culture and on-field success. Really encouraging IMO.
I really don't want to try any of that pudding. :(
Touché!

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

St Byron

I would hope so, that's what they're are paid a lot of money to. Do?

Are you suggesting improvement is required from past management??

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:St Byron

Why don't you just sit back and take the email for what it is. An excellent communication piece for the Saints members and supporters which I felt (as do you and most other supporters and members) feel was detailed and concise and was just what we needed to hear after a the rumour and inuendo of the last 2-3 weeks.

If your 'suspicious' side feels there is more to it, don't worry too much. Worst case scenario, we drop a measly 2 places and finish bottom. We don't have much farther to fall. Heck, we may even surprise you and jump up a couple of places on the ladder!

I will continue to pay my family memberships next year, go to the games and enjoy watching the Saints. No pressure, just there to support the team. Hope other lapsed members from this year jump back on board and get behind the team.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Well done Chris. A letter wasn't necessary but certainly welcome. Hopefully that will put a pipe in some 'supporters'.
I'd love to read that 40 page doc, probably the best thing I'd read in years. I hope Pelchen, Bains and the lads aren't leaving any time soon.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
groupie1
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:I remember back to Hawthorn when Clarkson/Pelchen took over. Stalwarts like Nick Holland, Mark Graham, Paul Hudson and others were moved on at great public debate. Only a couple of years later a premiership.

He might be the mad professor, but I think the Pelican will get the result. We just have to suck up the emotional pain during the transition.
I think your point highlights my concerns over the Pelican strategy.

Those players you mention, (and Croad was ousted earlier for Luke Hodge, I'll admit Croad was an impressive player)..... they were as you say stalwarts.

Sr Kilda had, last year, Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard, all three of whom would crawl into the all-time best Saints line-up + an additional cast of strong, experienced, proven performers in Dal Santo, Milne, Montagna, Fisher (I admit his past two seasons ain't grand), Dempster, Gwilt, Schneider and some likely up and comers in Steven, Armitage & McEvoy, Stanley, Siposs.

THAT'S when you go for f****** broke ala Brisbane under Voss. You got the champs and a reasonable side around them plus some kids with promise. Tell everyone to take a pay cut and go and get the best blokes running around who can come in and win you a flag NOW... worry about the future in the future. Brisbane's plans failed dismally, but fair play to Voss for recognizing that Black, Brown & Power were all time greats and deserved one more go at a tilt.

You might argue, Hawthorn's position was similar the last 2-3 years. They have Franklin, Rioli, Hodge, Mitchell. Their support cast was strong and experienced. A few youngsters who might prove good. Go out and get Hale, Lake, Gibson, Gunston, and pinch a flag NOW.

I think Pelican has shown he knows what he's doing, and at least they have a strategy. I just reckon they lept too soon.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
"As a valued supporter of the St Kilda Football Club, I wanted to take this opportunity to write to you and provide an update on events surrounding our List Management program and the 2013 AFL Trade Period.

May I start by acknowledging that we appreciate that some members have queries or concerns relating to the direction and approach being employed by the Club at this time - particularly around certain senior players within our player group.

I would like to assure you that we place great importance on the commitment and contribution of all Saints players and will always conduct matters involving their welfare and well-being with genuine integrity and respect.

It is important that as members, you realise that much of the media speculation involving our players is simply just that - pure speculation. As a Club, we simply cannot answer every rumour or innuendo raised about Saints players as it would be impossible and impractical to do so. Having said that, we appreciate that you should be kept informed of our activities and as such, make every effort to find the delicate balance between providing important information to both you and the media.

In that regard, I would like to make specific reference to three of our senior players - namely Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo - all of whom have been mentioned publicly during recent weeks.

Firstly, can I reassure you that neither Nick Riewoldt or Leigh Montagna have been discussed for trade by St Kilda at anytime during the 2013 AFL Trade Period and both are contracted and committed to playing for the Saints in 2014.

Similarly, Nick Dal Santo has a contract extension available to him for 2014. Both Nick and the Club have discussed the options available to them ahead of next year and respect that Nick's preferred option may be to transfer to another club. Obviously, our discussions should remain private - but I would like to stress that while the relationship between Nick and the Saints is strong, we both acknowledge the interests of each other at this time. Should we agree to part ways then Nick will go with our sincere appreciation of an outstanding career with the Saints.

As has been well-publicised, St Kilda is in a period of transition.

A transition from a talented, mature core player group who proudly took the Saints to the verge of two AFL Premierships to a young and exciting group of developing players who will position this Club for its next tilt at ultimate success.

While we have genuine appreciation for those who have represented this great Club - both past and present - we are charged with making the decisions that will move the Saints forward to once again become a feared and respected team in the AFL Competition.

As our immortal 1966 St Kilda Premiership Coach and personal friend of 25 years, Allan Jeans said to me in 2011, only a short time before he passed away -

"Understand that you are all custodians of the St Kilda Football Club...you are responsible for making the difficult decisions to make this Club great. Those decisions will not always be popular, for popular decisions are easily made - but those that will truly make us great are those that challenge us most."

We at St Kilda accept the responsibility bestowed upon us with a sense of pride and service. We have learnt much from our forefathers such as Allan Jeans and each time we are faced with making a difficult decision, I consciously think to myself..."what would 'Yabbie' do?"

In 2013, we have already been faced with one of those difficult decisions. Yesterday's trading of Ben McEvoy to Hawthorn for Shane Savage and Pick 17 in the upcoming AFL National Draft, was challenging to all of us. Ben is an impressive young man who has represented the Saints with distinction during his 91 games in red, white and black. While Shane Savage will provide us with much needed midfield 'run and carry', excellent kicking skills plus the opportunity to secure a valuable first round draft selection.

The importance of this additional draft selection cannot be overstated because St Kilda is committed to an active rebuild that will transition the Club to its next era of success.

In June 2013, an extensive 40 page document was presented to St Kilda's Board of Directors outlining a complex and deliberate list management and recruiting strategy aimed at delivering the Saints its next AFL Premiership. This plan was based on similar strategies developed during my time at Port Adelaide from 1996-2004 and Hawthorn from 2005-2011. Broadly speaking, this document studies AFL Premiership teams over the past 10+ years and provides a detailed analysis of the current St Kilda player list compared to all other 17 clubs in the AFL Competition. It also encompasses a structured three year recruiting model and our relative management strategies relating to the AFL National Draft, AFL Trade Period, Free Agency and TPP position.

We are not simply leaving our future to chance. We recognise where we are at as a Club and what is required to take us forward. Our decision making is based upon a proven formula of success. A formula that requires the understanding and support of you, our members. Because indeed, you are integral to our success.

Our strategy includes increasing our draft activity by 50% in the first 3 rounds of the AFL National Draft over the next four years. Initially, our plan was to secure three selections inside 20 at this year's draft - an outcome we remain determined to achieve prior to the end of the 2013 AFL Trade Period.

St Kilda will not be actively pursuing Free Agency options in 2013 as it does not form part of our strategy for this year. Current Free Agency rules provide for players aged 26+ years old - hence, this demographic does not represent our key focus at this stage of our list transition.

We have deliberately re-positioned our TPP model over the past 24 months from an extremely defensive (ie. constrained) position to a more balanced position in 2014/15 that will then allow us to aggressively pursue Free Agent players from 2016 onwards.

While the AFL National Draft remains a strategic priority for the Saints in the short term, we will continue to be active during the AFL Trade Period going forward. We understand the need to restore the balance to our player list through both forms of recruitment - essentially, the draft and trade systems.

In closing, may I say that although we anticipate 2014 will present similar challenges as this year, we remain committed to the task of making the difficult decisions to make us great again.

As members, you are the reason we look forward to the future with such hope and expectation. Your support of the Saints is the very foundation of the decisions we make - the research, the planning and eventually, the delivery of our next AFL Premiership.

After all, it's what 'Yabbie' would do!"
Translation:
"Don't expect anything in the next ten years."
I would prefer a quote from Dr Who so that we can put our minds to rest one way or the other. Speaking of which, weak minds are easily mollified.
And those without wit or understanding are most likely to condemn. Even more to the point, those who resort to relying on Dr.Who quotes to provide rest for their minds should probably lift their noodles up and stop counting the cracks in the footpath i.e. Pelchen's real, Dr.Who not so much.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
BigMart wrote:St Byron

Why don't you just sit back and take the email for what it is. An excellent communication piece for the Saints members and supporters which I felt (as do you and most other supporters and members) feel was detailed and concise and was just what we needed to hear after a the rumour and inuendo of the last 2-3 weeks.

This.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Inspired by Pelchen.

Even more so was his presentation to members a while back. On the edge of my seat for 2 hours. The letter details some of this.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:People with plans succeed.

Pelchen has a plan so I would rather this than a recruiting team or head of football that is keen on just getting as many young kids at pick 60-80 in the draft just to stack numbers.

The higher the pick, the higher the (usual) chance of becoming a good player.

If we are to attain 12 picks in the next 4 years that are top 20, some will be strong hits and some will be huge misses.

If the majority become guns then rebuild done, Dean Polo can be brought back as the 22nd player...experienced and all.

But seriously, the bloke with the plan and the fantastic CV should be given time to complete the task.
Excellent post Redeemer. You are spot on. However from the 12 picks if we have one or two who dont turn out OK, do you reckon certain sad sacks on here will focus on the ten or cane the club for "wasting" two picks?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote:good read but i was a bit taken back by the some of the stuff on page two
I mean hutchison a plushophiliac and who would have guessed nettlefold being into necromancy !
I was about concerned about the necromancy, then realised I had it confused with necrophilia.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What i've seen in re-builds in recent times is that the teams who get to have a crack at the flag tend to have two or three significant drafts in a short period of time where they pick up about 8 very good players. Geelong did this in 1999 to 2001 (Enright, Chapman, Rooke, Corey, Ling, Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett, Hunt), and we had 2000 to 2002 (Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Montagna, Ball, Maguire, Clarke, Goddard). Hawthorn did it from 2001 to 2004 (Mitchell, Hodge, Brown, Ladson, Osborne, Sewell, Young, Franklin, Roughead, Birchall, Lewis, Ellis). Collingwod from 2005 to 2008 (Pendlebury, Thomas, Goldsack, Reid, Brown, Dawes, Sidebottom, Beams, Blair, Toovey, Wellingham, McCaffer). In that period, the core group is established, and then it is complimented in future drafts with selections and good trades (and those lucky enough to have father/sons). The next team will be North Melnourne, who , from 2006 to 2009 got Thompson, Ziebell, Wright, Anthony, Bastinac, Hansen, Thomas, Goldtein, Edwards, Adams, Campbell, Grima, Cunnington, and Black.

Those teams who don't have these productive drafts in a short timeframe tend not to get into that premiership window. Once this purple patch is over, there seems to be a 2 to 4 year lag until those teams become powerful.

So, assuming that the 2011 and 2012 drafts have so far been productive for us, and we hope to do the same in 2013 and 2014, it will probably be 2016 at the very earliest that we will look like challenging for top 4 positions and most likel 2018 when we can really challenge for the big one.

If we c**k it up in 2013 and 2014, then we'll mediocre into the next decade. So, don't be sad if we finish last in 2014. We need to take advantage of our current predicament, not wallow in self pity, anger, and finger pointing.