Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Finey on SEN

Iceman234 wrote:
St Ick wrote:So I'm going to weigh in without hearing Finey (apart from tonight) and having read none of the previous 19 pages re this issue.

So what is the issue? Players aren't happy with Watters? But he refused to name who and refused to name what they aren't happy about?

- Could it be that someone isn't happy that Dal is being paraded around as trade bait? If so, I'd counter that to say that while Dal has been a super player for us, if it is in our best interests to trade him, loyalty aside, then I guess the best thing for the club is to get some value from him.

- Could it be that he has upset Armo and Chips because they aren't allowed to go overseas with a dead set drop kick? Scotty is taking a stand and doesn't want any negative press and doesn't want our players to get into trouble in the offseason.

- Could it be that he has upset the oldies by telling Milney that he is probably better off retiring now. A young, developing list does not need the distraction of a media crew at training every week.

- Could it be that he has had enough of the off field crap and simply wants to create a new atmosphere in this rebuilding stage - fancy trying to change the culture of a club who has won one premiership despite being around for longer than most clubs. For too long we've been a club full of great individuals, I'm going to get all cliche on you all but a champion team will always beat a team of champions when it comes down to the crunch, so I take it Watters is putting the team first and not playing up to any primadonnas demanding cash which will kill our salary cap - hi BJ!

So tell me, am I way off the mark? I can't see much wrong with what Watters and especially Pelchen is doing.

To me, Finey is sounding like someone who just started barracking for St Kilda since we've been 'moderately successful', and cannot handle the fact that maybe just maybe, RL killed our list simply refuses to accept that St Kilda had to do this rebuild because the list, the salary cap, the club was in a disasterous position two years ago when Watters inherited St Kilda.
Eloquent.

+1
Agree - Very Good!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
thefatdork
Club Player

+1 as well
Finey, you can flog off.
P***k
Go Saints!!
TFD

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

His ratings strategy seems to be kick small clubs and and individuals and pander and suck up big clubs.
I guess he sees that as a way to win the numbers game

But I stopped listening about a year ago when he just started going slightly insane.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

From a bigger picture I see this with all the so called entertainment business. Their product declines and then they attempt to justify their crap product by saying its a business and they are just going for ratings and giving the public what they want. This is a total fallacy and really it is because they are lazy or out of ideas or dimwits themselves . Then they attempt to blame the public. Often when the quality goes down ratings go down. People often underestimate their audience . Tv stations politicians etc all start from the premise that the public are idiots. It debases us all. That's why I was thrilled to see channel 9 almost broke and channel 10 struggling with the crap they put on (the batchelor ffs?)

The problem is the egos of the people in those industries grow to a level where they honestly believe the public are idiots and they are special . That's their fundamental error and often the beginning of the end.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:From a bigger picture I see this with all the so called entertainment business. Their product declines and then they attempt to justify their crap product by saying its a business and they are just going for ratings and giving the public what they want. This is a total fallacy and really it is because they are lazy or out of ideas or dimwits themselves . Then they attempt to blame the public. Often when the quality goes down ratings go down. People often underestimate their audience . Tv stations politicians etc all start from the premise that the public are idiots. It debases us all. That's why I was thrilled to see channel 9 almost broke and channel 10 struggling with the crap they put on (the batchelor ffs?)

The problem is the egos of the people in those industries grow to a level where they honestly believe the public are idiots and they are special . That's their fundamental error and often the beginning of the end.
Sounds like AD and The AFL to me ! They think we are idiots and will do what ever they want.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The cabbage & cheese grater hour.

Kickit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:From a bigger picture I see this with all the so called entertainment business. Their product declines and then they attempt to justify their crap product by saying its a business and they are just going for ratings and giving the public what they want. This is a total fallacy and really it is because they are lazy or out of ideas or dimwits themselves . Then they attempt to blame the public. Often when the quality goes down ratings go down. People often underestimate their audience . Tv stations politicians etc all start from the premise that the public are idiots. It debases us all. That's why I was thrilled to see channel 9 almost broke and channel 10 struggling with the crap they put on (the batchelor ffs?)

There is going to be a major shift to the TV industry.
More and more people ( especially younger people ) are preferring video games to second rate TV shows.

Personally , while I enjoy watching movies and some of the better tv drama's and sitcoms. I am totally over "big brother " , "the batchelor" ,"the mole", "survivor" all the cooking crap, all the singing crap, all the renovation crap. I don't watch any of those. They are on tv for one reason, cheap production. Are morons really waiting for the next instalment of big brother where all the contestants are dumped in the amazon and have to compete to build the best big brother house, then prepare gourmet meals from food foraged in the jungle, all the while singing pitch perfectly and trying to appeal to 12 year old girls who will vote them off if they don't like them, and the winners get to marry each other, until they watch the video and find out they are both assholes.

I'm also over bulls*** storylines where they search for the big answer but there isn't one, its just a framework for ongoing crap, ( Lost , X-Files in the end , under the dome ( I assume ), heroes ). Yeah I know the journey is more important than the destination but FFS!.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Kickit wrote: There is going to be a major shift to the TV industry.
More and more people ( especially younger people ) are preferring video games to second rate TV shows.

Personally , while I enjoy watching movies and some of the better tv drama's and sitcoms. I am totally over "big brother " , "the batchelor" ,"the mole", "survivor" all the cooking crap, all the singing crap, all the renovation crap. I don't watch any of those. They are on tv for one reason, cheap production. Are morons really waiting for the next instalment of big brother where all the contestants are dumped in the amazon and have to compete to build the best big brother house, then prepare gourmet meals from food foraged in the jungle, all the while singing pitch perfectly and trying to appeal to 12 year old girls who will vote them off if they don't like them, and the winners get to marry each other, until they watch the video and find out they are both assholes.

I'm also over bulls*** storylines where they search for the big answer but there isn't one, its just a framework for ongoing crap, ( Lost , X-Files in the end , under the dome ( I assume ), heroes ). Yeah I know the journey is more important than the destination but FFS!.
Right on.... never liked "reality " TV - whose reality??. Sport is reality TV. used to be you got your head on TV for because you were famous, and you were famous because you had some sort of talent. Now you get famous for getting your head on TV and being a massive arsehole. All done so they didn't have to pay scriptwriters, actors, wardrobe, maekup and hair people etc. Get some sponsor to pick up the location costs and a bunch of wannabes to work for free and you've got a TV show. Hours of mindless crap in which you can sell ad space. People sitting on couches drinking and watching a show about a bunch of people sitting on couches drinking. Awesome.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Good post st trav - remember Maxy hated RL and Im sure a few others did too when he came in and made changes.
Thats footy - you need to refresh and rebuild and there will always be older guys who were once the Big swinging dicks in the club who feel aggrieved when they lose their positions as top dogs. It happens at every club and will always happen at every club. The only issue is managing the egos softly softly.

I dont know about Max hating RL but he wasnt getting a game. That is a little different to older guys who are getting games not being huge fans of SW. Doubt whether anyone at the club hates SW though even the ones who dont like him at all.
fair call. hate is a strong word.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote: Are morons really waiting for the next instalment of big brother where all the contestants are dumped in the amazon and have to compete to build the best big brother house, then prepare gourmet meals from food foraged in the jungle, all the while singing pitch perfectly and trying to appeal to 12 year old girls who will vote them off if they don't like them, and the winners get to marry each other, until they watch the video and find out they are both assholes.

FS!.
Classic work kickit
Youre on to something! What a pitch! Get down to Channel 10 and book a meeting :D :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:What's your schedules like tef & bigred? I think you guys should put together a show with weekly guests including con, gringo, Gaz etc...

That I would tune in for.

Mark 'knob coat' foiyn.. I couldn't give a malcolm blight
I'm not sure they'd let an elderly 70 year old lady on radio.... but if so, my first guest would be Con and Pluggsy discussing the finer points of the Essendope scandal.... humor galore in that session!!

“Yeah….nah””
marksnsparks
Club Player

Finey has really gone off the boil recently. Have you listened to some of his segments recently? "Initially Speaking"...jeez give me a spell. Positively dangerous to listen to whilst driving as can induce deep sleep.

ctqs
Club Player

There are some internal rumblings about a lack of love shown by the coach, but most of those are from those either on the fringe or on the wane, from what I've heard.
Footy clubs everywhere are full of testosterone-driven, suprisingly fragile egos, so it's no surprise people whinge and back-bite when they don't get their own way. They should just shut up, show some character, and do their job.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Finey just loves Hirdy and the EFC.
Maybe he can go over there with BJ.
Hes in on the 'AFL are corrupt' brigade. Nonce

OdieCalodie
Club Player

ctqs wrote:... Footy clubs everywhere are full of testosterone-driven, suprisingly fragile egos, so it's no surprise people whinge and back-bite when they don't get their own way. They should just shut up, show some character, and do their job.
Agree 100%.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Boy he has struck a nerve....hasen't he???.... Wonder what that means?

Whilst there is no proof (yet) that he is right....How are we absolutely certain he's not? Interesting IMO

It's like the Dwarf thing again....

People don't want to accept that there could be a problem, so jump to the defense, without any evidence to back up their claim...... Yet smash apart the opposite claim, because of lack of evidence??!! I don't get it?

You can't say the club/players stuffed up without evidence??

But you can defend the club/players without evidence??

It's a funny supporter double standard..... Problem is, these stories often come from a source somewhere, and lik the Dwarfe story.... Where there's smoke, 95% of the time.... There's fire.... In StKs case, a raging bushfire

If anyone can say, with a straight face, that this club would not be a mis managed club in many respects over the journey.... They are kidding themselves.... The evidence is simple?

But like all tragic romances, it's difficult not to stay.... Loyalty comes from love.... Love is not logical/rational...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Boy he has struck a nerve....hasen't he???.... Wonder what that means?

Whilst there is no proof (yet) that he is right....How are we absolutely certain he's not? Interesting IMO

It's like the Dwarf thing again....

People don't want to accept that there could be a problem, so jump to the defense, without any evidence to back up their claim...... Yet smash apart the opposite claim, because of lack of evidence??!! I don't get it?

You can't say the club/players stuffed up without evidence??

But you can defend the club/players without evidence??

It's a funny supporter double standard..... Problem is, these stories often come from a source somewhere, and lik the Dwarfe story.... Where there's smoke, 95% of the time.... There's fire.... In StKs case, a raging bushfire

If anyone can say, with a straight face, that this club would not be a mis managed club in many respects over the journey.... They are kidding themselves.... The evidence is simple?

But like all tragic romances, it's difficult not to stay.... Loyalty comes from love.... Love is not logical/rational...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: If anyone can say, with a straight face, that this club would not be a mis managed club in many respects over the journey.... They are kidding themselves.... The evidence is simple?
Totally irrelevant to this particular thread.

What is relevant to this thread? Simple: Should Scott Watters be immediately sacked ?

That's it.

Now, how say you BigMart?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Once again Marto you have NFI what's going on.

95% of the time ? Give us a break..,

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why isnt he at school?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

All of us Saints fans are still looking for some Saviour to come from the heavens. An easy out. (Alan Richardson is certainly an interesting choice of Messiah but anyways ...)

How about this

It is a cross the board club effort - all players - all staff - all members - all sponsors - to rebuild the club into a premiership force from the ground up. Brick by Brick.

No Saviours. No superstars. No messiahs. No blame games.

Too radical a concept for us Saints or just sounds all too hard?

defacto
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Just to add my bit to any "conspiracy theory"; maybe old Finey wants to see his Sunday morning mate Robert Shaw on the coaching panel at the Saints, along with Alan Richardson? :D
I'll see your conspiracy theory and then raise you this one;

For the 1st hour each night Mark Fine on SEN tries to compete with Gerard Healy & Dwayne Russell on 3AW. It would be interesting to compare the respective ratings !!
i know which one ive switched too since the start of this year. the bloke has lost it

Scoop
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Just to add my bit to any "conspiracy theory"; maybe old Finey wants to see his Sunday morning mate Robert Shaw on the coaching panel at the Saints, along with Alan Richardson? :D
I'll see your conspiracy theory and then raise you this one;

For the 1st hour each night Mark Fine on SEN tries to compete with Gerard Healy & Dwayne Russell on 3AW.
Where his ex compatriot Bruce Eva is doing quite nicely. ....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IIRC Bruce Eva's problem at SEN wasn't with Mark Fine but with Mark Doran.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Only problem is with the way they can track internet shows them what people want. I watched media watch and they were saying that a story about Rudd and Gilard fighting got massive hits but a major policy announcement hardly rated.

We have a government just elected who has scrapped about ten ministries including science and bought in an Anzac Day ministry and a sport ministry. The idiots have won.