Giants move ON Sam Fisher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

Re: Giants move ON Sam Fisher

i hope the club ether come out of this deal with adams or pick 9. Just because He is 31 and has had the last 2 years written off doesnt mean he CANT and WONT be able to play a grade footy again. Fisher in the matty scarlett role when geelong where rolling in 07-12 where he was loose man or played on opposition players he can run off from is still a damaging player.You dont lose that.you lose pace - which fish wasnt known for.Not how to read the game or mark.His body i reckon will hold up.He has had his surgery and is ready for pre season.

Just because we are rebuilding doesnt mean you throw the baby out with the bath water. Pelchan traded smart whilst with the hawks and i expect the same thing here. You get value for players. Goddard ended up as pick 12. VALUE.

Same with dal they will only go for VALUE. Because lets face it they are more value to us then trading for bruce a player we can pick up for free and a 3rd or 4th round pick. Fisher is multi All Australian and BNF winner.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Your dreaming if you think we will get either 9 or Adams for fischer

I love this club
footynut
Club Player

Should be aiming for pick 9, Adams and bruce for Fisher, pick 21 and our 3rd round pick. Must play hard ball

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:Should be aiming for pick 9, Adams and bruce for Fisher, pick 21 and our 3rd round pick. Must play hard ball
Sure, if we're happy to keep him. I don't understand why they'd take that - he might only play another one or two years.

footynut
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
footynut wrote:Should be aiming for pick 9, Adams and bruce for Fisher, pick 21 and our 3rd round pick. Must play hard ball
Sure, if we're happy to keep him. I don't understand why they'd take that - he might only play another one or two years.
Well Bruce can leave for nothing so why do so may people give away picks for him. Adams wants out, they want Fisher so maybe it's just it's a straight swap. But for once we are the ones in the position of strength

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

I think that's the point though. You keep him unless there is something very tempting in front of you.

Royston
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Kickit wrote: Dempster , Full Back, Roberton
Gwilt , Fisher , Geary
That's the thing, we have to get games into Wright, Webster, Markworth, Siposs, Dunell etc next year… so in reality we probably only need 3 or 4 of Fisher/Dempster/Gwilt/Ray/Gilbert/Simpkin… I think Roberton & Geary are locks from an age/quality perspective. Gwilt & Ray are probably not worth anything in a trade… unless a team like GWS were interested in their experience.
Spot on.....as much a fish has been mighty for us we do need to look ahead. He seems to have currency, at least with GWS so let's orchestrate a deal that is a win for us.
I think a good example is Chad Cornes going from Port. Decorated career at Port, premiership player, B & F, AA but I still think of him as a Port very good player. His move to GWS hasn't diminished that. The couple of years he has spent at GWS I look upon him as someone who wanted to continue to play but in a mentor role and that of a onfield teacher.....a good legacy to leave.
Fisher could do this - Port have got on after a couple of tough years - not sure who they got for the trade of Cornes or how that played out but if we can get a player/pick that provides 7-10 yrs of output there is no valid reason you wouldn't consider it.

Megamaguire
Club Player

If Adams is rated very high and a rare opportunity that comes up and importantly the coach and recruiting panel should make a real play. Our club champion Fisher could help this trade procede.
Cannot comment at all on T.Adams just hope the club know a whole lot more than myself.
Is he the best midfielder St. Kilda could go after? I'm not big on Dusty at all but for the sake of pure ability comparisons how does Adams compare 2 'Dusty'?
We need players who will see the benefit of playing for the club a la geelong - wonder if T.Adams is (a) good enough & (b) loyal enough?

With pick 3 in the draft the club seems to have a rare opportunity
to bring two real good ones into our midfield and seriously develop a good midfield.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
rodrocket
Club Player

Fisher didn't want to go to GWS last year. Has anything changed since then? How can we do a deal if he refuses to go there?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

rodrocket wrote:Fisher didn't want to go to GWS last year. Has anything changed since then? How can we do a deal if he refuses to go there?
decent money and an extra year or two should do it.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think there are a lot of people seriously dreaming if you think Adams is going to end up at the Saints. We have little or nothing to trade for a player of his perceived value. Certainly not Fisher. Richmond would be eyeing off Adams as part of a Dustin Martin deal, how can we compete with that ? Don't get me wrong, I would love Adams at our club, but lots of other clubs will be circling as well, just like Koby Stevens and Josh Caddy deals last year.

And if we have a huge hole in our list of mid-aged players, why would we be looking to trade the few that we have out (eg Armo, McEvoy) for a 50/50 deal ?. You would only trade those guys out if the deal was heavily weighted in our favour.

I cant see Fisher going anywhere to be honest .. perhaps he may be interested to look at trading back to an SA club for a homesick Vic boy at best. Again, I would love to be wrong and see Pelchen manufacture a great deal for us. I honestly think Fisher won't be offered a contract after 2014.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Zed wrote:I think there are a lot of people seriously dreaming if you think Adams is going to end up at the Saints. We have little or nothing to trade for a player of his perceived value. Certainly not Fisher. Richmond would be eyeing off Adams as part of a Dustin Martin deal, how can we compete with that ? Don't get me wrong, I would love Adams at our club, but lots of other clubs will be circling as well, just like Koby Stevens and Josh Caddy deals last year.

And if we have a huge hole in our list of mid-aged players, why would we be looking to trade the few that we have out (eg Armo, McEvoy) for a 50/50 deal ?. You would only trade those guys out if the deal was heavily weighted in our favour.

I cant see Fisher going anywhere to be honest .. perhaps he may be interested to look at trading back to an SA club for a homesick Vic boy at best. Again, I would love to be wrong and see Pelchen manufacture a great deal for us. I honestly think Fisher won't be offered a contract after 2014.
Can't see that they would just drop him - would be a waste of resources to do that. Could see a straight swap for Bruce and their 3rd rounder (and maybe a swap of second rounders).

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Adams is worth about a pick 10. Fisher worth about a pick 50.

So we trade pick 50, 21, 36 for picks 9,10.

Well yes would be a win for us! Not realistic though.

Saintly Obsession

Probably been quoted before but I'd rather we trade Fisher than Dal.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Saintly Obsession wrote:Probably been quoted before but I'd rather we trade Fisher than Dal.
Me too!
Now if we can just get Bombers to give back BJ and take Raph......

sax
Club Player

I still think both Fisher & Dal will go.
GWS will throw Bruce & a pick our way for Fisher
Now with Myers on our radar, there could be a 3 way deal involving Dal
North get Dal, Bombers get Norths pick in the 20's, we get Delaney & Myers.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:I still think both Fisher & Dal will go.
Agree with you that Chips and Dal will likely both go. At least Chips I reckon is a cert.

Your proposed deal doesn't sound out of the question, but I hope we don't get Delaney. Is he not a guy who can't crack a game in a mid-table side? Why pick up more mediocre players? I hope Pelchen, SW and co have more vision than that. Without knowing anything about Delaney other than what I've read on here and via a couple of links on here, he sounds exactly like a raft of other mediocre players we have picked up and discarded. What's the point? Enough mediocre guys who struggle to crack it as a GOP.

sax
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Agree with you that Chips and Dal will likely both go. At least Chips I reckon is a cert.

Your proposed deal doesn't sound out of the question, but I hope we don't get Delaney. Is he not a guy who can't crack a game in a mid-table side? Why pick up more mediocre players? I hope Pelchen, SW and co have more vision than that. Without knowing anything about Delaney other than what I've read on here and via a couple of links on here, he sounds exactly like a raft of other mediocre players we have picked up and discarded. What's the point? Enough mediocre guys who struggle to crack it as a GOP.
If you read the reports we have offered both Delaney & Bruce 3 year deals. I don't think Delaney's that bad, it's just North have so many KPD's ie Scott Thompson, Nathan Grima, Michael Ferrito etc.

Delaney is a genuine, stay at home full back.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Kickit
Club Player

sax wrote:
st.byron wrote:

If you read the reports we have offered both Delaney & Bruce 3 year deals. I don't think Delaney's that bad, it's just North have so many KPD's ie Scott Thompson, Nathan Grima, Michael Ferrito etc.

Delaney is a genuine, stay at home full back.
You'd have to think that Delaney is better able to man up on Hawkins or Cloke than anyone urrently on our list.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Your proposed deal doesn't sound out of the question, but I hope we don't get Delaney. Is he not a guy who can't crack a game in a mid-table side? Why pick up more mediocre players? I hope Pelchen, SW and co have more vision than that. Without knowing anything about Delaney other than what I've read on here and via a couple of links on here, he sounds exactly like a raft of other mediocre players we have picked up and discarded. What's the point? Enough mediocre guys who struggle to crack it as a GOP.

The guy we are trying to replace at fullback is Zac Dawson, as I recall he didn't come with too many recommendations either. Seemed to do a pretty good job as I recall. The fact is that players don't get a run for many reasons. We don't need every position to be filled with a superstar, we just need someone that can do the role required, to the necessary standard, and contribute to the TEAM structure. If we can have a guy that can compete with the likes of Tippett , Cloke and Hawkins, and dold them to say, three goals, that is in front of where we are at now. THe knock on effect is that it releases the likes of Gilbert, Gwilt, Dempster and Roberton to do what they do best, which is intercept marking and initiating our transition movements from the backline.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Adams would be a good get but he was a pick 13 and looks to have a lot of potential but so did Maverick Weller. i hope we don't lose Fisher cheap as he is an a grader. We should try to lure him with a direct swap as GWS will lose him and someone will have to offer something pretty special as they don't need high draft picks they need players.

I would send Bruce to the preseason draft with a massive front loaded contract and tell him not to show for medicals or interviews like Ball did.

Kickit
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
st.byron wrote: Your proposed deal doesn't sound out of the question, but I hope we don't get Delaney. Is he not a guy who can't crack a game in a mid-table side? Why pick up more mediocre players? I hope Pelchen, SW and co have more vision than that. Without knowing anything about Delaney other than what I've read on here and via a couple of links on here, he sounds exactly like a raft of other mediocre players we have picked up and discarded. What's the point? Enough mediocre guys who struggle to crack it as a GOP.

The guy we are trying to replace at fullback is Zac Dawson, as I recall he didn't come with too many recommendations either. Seemed to do a pretty good job as I recall. The fact is that players don't get a run for many reasons. We don't need every position to be filled with a superstar, we just need someone that can do the role required, to the necessary standard, and contribute to the TEAM structure. If we can have a guy that can compete with the likes of Tippett , Cloke and Hawkins, and dold them to say, three goals, that is in front of where we are at now. THe knock on effect is that it releases the likes of Gilbert, Gwilt, Dempster and Roberton to do what they do best, which is intercept marking and initiating our transition movements from the backline.
He may have played on Ben Reid against Collingwood I think ( not sure though ). Ben kicked 5.
He played against Roughead and got 4 kicked against him.
Not sure who he played on against Essendon maybe Joe Daniher who was goal-less ( but due to inaccuracy, he kicked 4 points ).
Maybe Lewis Johnston ( who kicked 1 ) with the Crows.
Played on Tom Hawkins ( who kicked 1 ). Back problems??

That was his 2013, so I'm not doing cartwheels at the thought of him, and wonder if those 3 cm make him significantly better than Tom Simpkin.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote: That was his 2013, so I'm not doing cartwheels at the thought of him, and wonder if those 3 cm make him significantly better than Tom Simpkin.

I think we would all take an extra 3cm if it was on offer........ :wink: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Kickit wrote: That was his 2013, so I'm not doing cartwheels at the thought of him, and wonder if those 3 cm make him significantly better than Tom Simpkin.

flower yes.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Not needed...

“Yeah….nah””