Lessons to be learned

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iremember66
Club Player

Lessons to be learned

1/ We can be way behind and still come back.

I've worried about our youngsters learning that all their hard work just ends in defeat,

Tonight shows that effort produces reward and THAT should be a lesson learned.

2/ Be READY for a bad/totally unexpected umpiring decision to go against us.

To often the bad call totally flummoxes us. Suddenly the ball is at the other end and a goal is against us.

We must be ready for this.

3/ Please, when an opposition player takes a mark - run to where the mark was taken to stand on the mark,

So often we stop and raise the arms on the spot where WE stop - NOT where the mark was taken.

Taking this extra couple of metres (legally) can make a big difference.

It can 1/ make the opposition player have to retreat (giving downfield players extra time), or 2/ just gain the extra metres and make our opponents have to travel further to kick a goal.

We need to do this as a matter of course.

(Admittedly it may need to have some communication with the umpiring board to make THEM aware (prior to any round), that WE are aware of the impact this often has on our team, but this communication may in fact assist us)).

It is all related to continued pressure on our opposition, and, I suspect, these small things used on a regular basis could help us incremantally UP our pressure on any opposition we meet.

Having said that, how good are our youngsters?

Some good recruiting for mids and backs (at the moment) and we will be right back up there.

C'ARN the SAINTS.

A new era (ie: WINNING premiership flags) is upon us.

Love our guys...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lessons to be learned

iremember66 wrote: Having said that, how good are our youngsters?

Some good recruiting for mids and backs (at the moment) and we will be right back up there.

C'ARN the SAINTS.

Love our guys...
..ok...maybe take it down a peg. Like your enthusiasm but the temptation is to get carried away with how good they are. The reality with this young team is there will still be some games where they get beaten badly and look a really average squad. And then everyone will be on Watters back. The truth is in between at the moment but you can really see where Watters is going with this team now - young players know they need to attack the footy fiercely and put a lot of pressure everywhere on the ground when they don't have it. Tackling is a big thing for Watters.

Yep good sign they could find a way back into the game when it looked like being a slaughterhouse out there. Good coaching to get them realigned and unpick Ports structure. The key with umpiring these days is to be first at the ball. Then the frees goes your way but good idea to teach the players to be professional and just accept whatever the umpire says and stay switched on. Hadn't noticed the mark thing but I know hawthorn man the mark very aggressively and seems a good tactic - but can be hard for young teams when they are tired.

The other big lesson to learn is how to the stop the opposition run-ons such as 1st quarter and against North. Its easy for us to criticise but it takes experience for the players to step up and be able to change momentum. The 1st quarter today was another tough lesson.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
iremember66 wrote: Having said that, how good are our youngsters?

C'ARN the SAINTS.

Love our guys...
..ok...maybe take it down a peg. Like your enthusiasm but the temptation is to get carried away with how good they are. The reality with this young team is there will still be some games where they get beaten badly and look a really average squad. And then everyone will be on Watters back. The truth is in between at the moment but you can really see where Watters is going with this team now - young players know they need to attack the footy fiercely and put a lot of pressure everywhere on the ground when they don't have it. Tackling is a big thing for Watters.

Yep good sign they could find a way back into the game when it looked like being a slaughterhouse out there. Good coaching to get them realigned and unpick Ports structure. The key with umpiring these days is to be first at the ball. Then the frees goes your way but good idea to teach the players to be professional and just accept whatever the umpire says and stay switched on. Hadn't noticed the mark thing but I know hawthorn man the mark very aggressively and seems a good tactic - but can be hard for young teams when they are tired.

The other big lesson to learn is how to the stop the opposition run-ons such as 1st quarter and against North. Its easy for us to criticise but it takes experience for the players to step up and be able to change momentum. The 1st quarter today was another tough lesson.
In summary, not too many experts and commentators are expecting us to win. Don't be too disappointed if SW and coaches are getting games into our youngsters and we keep losing. If Saunders, Lee, Webster Newnes and others like Curran are improving it's all that matters

And...Don't be totally surprised if we don't win another game this year because it's a win win for the club as far as the future is concerned for Draft Pick No. 3.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My lessons from tonight:

We cant play 3 ruckman (pretending Stanley is not a ruckman seems to be an affliction we all suffer)
Tom Lee welcome to AFL footy. You are a Saint and we want you on board.
Tom Curren - see above
Lenny - you still have it
Umps - hate the Saints. Stats prove it. They are also self appointed Moral crusaders and they are bias against Milney - this makes sense when you think of what kind of person is attracted to be an umpire. Total bulls***!
NDS- lets keep him. He just needs support.
Numbers Numbers Numbers - why we lost is numbers at the contest. Overall they had 1 more at most contests. This is a stat that should be kept but which isnt. The stat that matters is net numbers at contested situations. Most times they had one more.
TDL - well how frustrating is this guy. Easily brushed aside. Then he takes a mark but misses the goal anyway. Just dont know about him.
Ray - makes terrible decisions. Bombing to to Westhoff was moronic but made a lot of bad decisions all night when in the clear.
Riewoldt - should start backing Tommy Lee. I Think Roo on the wing and up field works but he need not be the spearhead. HIs kicking sucks balls. Lets back Tommy Lee as the spearhead. Roo - take your marks and pass it on to Lee when possible.
Webster - mate you are an awesome kick - look to kick first and handball second.
Saunders - this guy is so tough and gutsy. Love him. Sign him up.
Simpkin - didnt do a lot right but didnt stuff up. Like him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good post Con. Agree with everything 100% (yes even the bit about 'sucks balls')

southernsaint
Club Player

+1 con good post

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont know if Stanley is a Ruckman though either ... all i see is a grossly underconfident bloke who everyone is hoping will have that ca-ching moment and come good ... at the moment i dont see him as a forward back or ruck ... its tough drop him and it does nothing for his confidence keep him and he keeps on getting beat badly its even worse ... sad thing is i reckon hes the guy that if we traded him he would suddenly come good and make as look like fools for giving him up yet if we hold on to him he will become a GOP

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont know if Stanley is a Ruckman though either ... all i see is a grossly underconfident bloke who everyone is hoping will have that ca-ching moment and come good ... at the moment i dont see him as a forward back or ruck ... its tough drop him and it does nothing for his confidence keep him and he keeps on getting beat badly its even worse ... sad thing is i reckon hes the guy that if we traded him he would suddenly come good and make as look like fools for giving him up yet if we hold on to him he will become a GOP

Not me I see a guy in development who plays poorly down back. he looks more natural forward. I think he will probably make it but maybe not a star- no one can predict it though. I seriously didn't see a lot in Tex Walker and Tippet or several of North Melbournes talls.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:My lessons from tonight:

We cant play 3 ruckman (pretending Stanley is not a ruckman seems to be an affliction we all suffer)
Tom Lee welcome to AFL footy. You are a Saint and we want you on board.
Tom Curren - see above
Lenny - you still have it
Umps - hate the Saints. Stats prove it. They are also self appointed Moral crusaders and they are bias against Milney - this makes sense when you think of what kind of person is attracted to be an umpire. Total bulls***!
NDS- lets keep him. He just needs support.
Numbers Numbers Numbers - why we lost is numbers at the contest. Overall they had 1 more at most contests. This is a stat that should be kept but which isnt. The stat that matters is net numbers at contested situations. Most times they had one more.
TDL - well how frustrating is this guy. Easily brushed aside. Then he takes a mark but misses the goal anyway. Just dont know about him.
Ray - makes terrible decisions. Bombing to to Westhoff was moronic but made a lot of bad decisions all night when in the clear.
Riewoldt - should start backing Tommy Lee. I Think Roo on the wing and up field works but he need not be the spearhead. HIs kicking sucks balls. Lets back Tommy Lee as the spearhead. Roo - take your marks and pass it on to Lee when possible.
Webster - mate you are an awesome kick - look to kick first and handball second.
Saunders - this guy is so tough and gutsy. Love him. Sign him up.
Simpkin - didnt do a lot right but didnt stuff up. Like him.
good post...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.