is it possible to ban ip addresses?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6
Club Player

is it possible to ban ip addresses?

I see the serial pest is back yet again. Surely the moderators must have some way of banning an ip address from the site? Would save a lot of work deleting threads.

Although the illiterate trentdennislane did have a very short stay on the forum

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Re: is it possible to ban ip addresses?

Have done it every time, seems to be using either a dynamic IP or different computers.

Furthermore, registration is now limited until I can find a solution to a problem we are currently experiencing.

They walk amongst us...

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to have a lets identify the ip address , so the morons can be made public !

In red white and black from 73
F_Q_F
Club Player

Is it possible to make it so you need to have a minimum posts/2 week period before you can create new threads?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about now but most forums can do that yeah.

Hsv is right.
Not hard to get a diff IP Addy after being banned.
Might prove tricky to police that

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

F_Q_F wrote:Is it possible to make it so you need to have a minimum posts/2 week period before you can create new threads?
That's what I'm currently working on. part of the reigstration required to do so isn't working the right way yet.

They walk amongst us...

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

yes that will stop the drive-by flame spammer, but
with respect this will only make it even harder for newbies to come on board
they cant view the board before joining - then once they do they have to wait a period...?

but on the original topic it is VERY easy to show the IP for each poster in phpbb
this will pose an issue to & expose the "casual" multiple nic users.

Seeya
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:but on the original topic it is VERY easy to show the IP for each poster in phpbb
this will pose an issue to & expose the "casual" multiple nic users.
Only if a static IP is used.

They walk amongst us...

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
F_Q_F wrote:Is it possible to make it so you need to have a minimum posts/2 week period before you can create new threads?
That's what I'm currently working on. part of the reigstration required to do so isn't working the right way yet.
Minimum posts to make new threads wont work - they will just find a clog up the existing threads with rubbish until they hit the required amount - a simple bump will count as a post.

The only true way of making it work is to require a monetary subscription to be a member, then each time they want to create a new alias it will cost them.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
Minimum posts to make new threads wont work - they will just find a clog up the existing threads with rubbish until they hit the required amount - a simple bump will count as a post.

The only true way of making it work is to require a monetary subscription to be a member, then each time they want to create a new alias it will cost them.
I HATE that we can no longer edit posts - even when no-one has replied.

Maybe - you need to be a St Kilda member - one registration per membership - wont stop a father or mother using their kids memberships - but that will dry up pretty soon - a scan of the membership card maybe - I don't know how the logistics of it would work - just brainstorming - and on a Thursday evening - pretty much running on fumes!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!