Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum Makeover

I'm in favour of the editing function returning to how it was... mostly for typos or adjusting, but it also aids some who may need to 'self moderate', as is being encouraged. Even if it's longer than 5 minutes when they've had time to reflect... or sober up! :wink:

Surely if people feel slighted enough to report they could copy and paste or quote the offending post?

Just my 2c.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:quote the offending post?
This is a reasoning behind this move.

Instead of quoting a post, and a shyte-fight starting over it, simply hit the 'report' button and leave it. That has been the problem with this place for too long. Too many wanting to abuse or slander, and when one does, more follow and it turns the place into garbage. One post, one report, user gets warned, we all move on.

They walk amongst us...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
dragit wrote:So is that it?

Even if the majority of us would like it as it was, we'll do what you have decided is best?

Clearly we don't 'own' this thing if you are making changes that most of us might disagree with...

Why don't we put it to the people?

I suggest that if someone has an issue, then they could pm a mod with the infringing post, once that is done it is recorded in the pm and that can't be edited...

It's not that easy getting things right when you are posting on a phone, 5 mins can easily go if you are doing something else or reading another thread.
You don't get it do you?

We're hounded about cleaning up the forum and catching those responsible for certain posts etc, we implement a way so that these posts can't be altered or removed in reasonable time (whilst still giving all posters the chance to fix their mistakes etc), yet we still get hounded about a decision made on how to fix it.

How about giving something a chance and hoping that it has more positive than negative before abusing us for more inane reasons?
What?

I get it, and have suggested another way for people to report nasty posts, via pm w' quote...

People are getting pms from bfsa asking to modify posts as they go against the guidelines, but no one can...

How about a vote on big changes? That's what I am asking, is that unreasonable?

Not allowing edits gives people very little chance to self moderate, I am sure many people post something and then (more than 5 minutes later) decide they said the wrong thing, and if we are to wait for a mod to arrive we could talking days...

We've given it a chance and we don't like it, now we are giving feedback and you are saying bad luck.

markp
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
markp wrote:quote the offending post?
This is a reasoning behind this move.

Instead of quoting a post, and a shyte-fight starting over it, simply hit the 'report' button and leave it. That has been the problem with this place for too long. Too many wanting to abuse or slander, and when one does, more follow and it turns the place into garbage. One post, one report, user gets warned, we all move on.
Fair enough... it's worth trying at least, I'll give you that.

Understand the damned if you do and damned if you dont perspective too....

I'm wondering if BFUSA is already regretting opening this can of worms! :wink:

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Not allowing edits gives people very little chance to self moderate, I am sure many people post something and then (more than 5 minutes later) decide they said the wrong thing, and if we are to wait for a mod to arrive we could talking days...

We've given it a chance and we don't like it, now we are giving feedback and you are saying bad luck.
Here's a simple idea...

If you post something you later on realise is wrong, quote yourself. Make it known you were wrong etc and post that. Are people here scared of being proven wrong or aren't big enough to stand up and admit their post was inappropriate etc.

I think that is a bit more 'self moderating' as you put it.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
Old Mate wrote:+1 to keep the edit function how it was. I think people who use the report function do so privately so not sure your theory occurs often enough to have a small edit window. I've never seen a report worthy post edited anyway (not that I even new you could report).
Only until recent years the edit function was not available at all. Even giving a small window for a poster to be able to edit is sufficient. Contrary to what many think, posts do get edited in time enough to have what was said removed.

Just another example of how it's damned if we do, damned if we don't on here.
fair comment ..imho...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

well I dont get it either - as we seem to quibbling over time
I have never started a thread that could be in any way deemed to be offensive, if I ever did, I would think 5min would not be insufficient time for me to calm down enough to see the error of my ways. I am the type poster that mostly comes here once every 24hrs, scans, and leaves, so the 5min thing doesnt work for me,
SO you are going to get two very different types of posters
ones that deliberately start threads/posts to be controversial
or
those that have a brief loss of senses

SO if you are trying to limit the former catagory, then you need to have a public sin bin...

Seeya
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:well I dont get it either - as we seem to quibbling over time
I have never started a thread that could be in any way deemed to be offensive, if I ever did, I would think 5min would not be insufficient time for me to calm down enough to see the error of my ways. I am the type poster that mostly comes here once every 24hrs, scans, and leaves, so the 5min thing doesnt work for me,
SO you are going to get two very different types of posters
ones that deliberately start threads/posts to be controversial
or
those that have a brief loss of senses

SO if you are trying to limit the former catagory, then you need to have a public sin bin...
So, your argument is that when you come back 24 hours later and edit your post because you have calmed down, you don't think you may have already been reported/warned for the post by then?

This kind of poster is one of the many reasons behind this move. Why should the forum put up with posters coming on, creating a new post and venting. The problem is that these posters want to be seen, so they don't reply, the create a new thread. By them not being able to remove it after 5 minutes, they get a warning for filling the forum with rubbish, and it will hopefully stop them repeating this action.

They walk amongst us...

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Pot! Rum! Plot! Farm!

...back in 5 mins!
Last edited by BakesFan on Wed 10 Jul 2013 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Poo! Bum! Plop! Fart!

...back in 5 mins!
Better hope you don't get stuck on the phone!

Or on the throne!!! :P

BakesFan
SS Life Member

you have misquoted me, Dr Spacey!! :wink:

...wow! that 5 min window is pretty spot on. NOICE!!
Last edited by BakesFan on Wed 10 Jul 2013 5:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:you have misquoted me, Dr Spacey!! :wink:
Oh sugar! :oops:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

....does that constitute baiting? :shock:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

No soup for u.
You are banned .... ONE YEAR! 8-)

BakesFan
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:No soup for u.
You are banned .... ONE YEAR! 8-)
"POO! Bum! Plop! Fart!!" :evil:

...I dare you to say that 5 times as fast as you can; and not laugh!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why do people think it is 5 minutes. isnt it only 5 minutes if no one posts straight after you post? Its is silly not having an edit option but i suppose we need to see how it works. Sounds like we have little option. All I ask is we arent treated like school kids because there will be a hundred letters sent out each day if they are sent for taking posts off topic ot a bit mild having a go at people. Any thread over a [page is usually taken off topic at some stage. and sometimes the banter can be great. Sometimes its crap but under the rules they are both off topic. Maybe im off topic now.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why do people think it is 5 minutes. isnt it only 5 minutes if no one posts straight after you post?
No, it's 5 minutes flat, that's it.

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why do people think it is 5 minutes. isnt it only 5 minutes if no one posts straight after you post?
No, it's 5 minutes flat, that's it.

It wasnt like that a few days ago. well I thought it wasnt. I apologise. Still cant understand it but dont have any choice.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It wasnt like that a few days ago. well I thought it wasnt. I apologise. Still cant understand it but dont have any choice.
Well you do.

Your choice is; do I post this, or do I not post this?

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It wasnt like that a few days ago. well I thought it wasnt. I apologise. Still cant understand it but dont have any choice.
Well you do.

Your choice is; do I post this, or do I not post this?

Well the reason i use the edit has never been do I post or do I not post this. It has been why the hell did i post that without reading it. And knowing how bad i type and how quickly I post that wont change but so be it. I dont think you can get in trouble for being a poor speller or pathetic at comprehesion.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think you can get in trouble for being a poor speller or pathetic at comprehesion.
Exactly, which is why if that is your only problem, it will be your only problem.

They walk amongst us...

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I don't have a problem with the lack of an editing function. Although it makes it bit silly for BFUSA sending PMs asking people to edit their post when that function is pretty much unavailable to them.

But as long as the Moderator has access to an editing function and can edit offending posts, then I have no problem.

Just to be clear, EDIT THE OFFENDING PORTION but not censor or alter the remainder of a post. It is a Moderator function to administer the rules not control conversation. Simply leave a <removed by Moderator due to breach of rules> in the place of the offending portion.

You will find that will achieve much in the future self moderation of those posters.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Great work so far Simon!! May I make one more suggestion? Surely a total clean out of mod positions is in order,,,,either that or the current ones need to make a promise to actually turn up here more than once every two years.
Disagree. We need more Mods.

The reality today is that there are very few people that can spend a lot of time 24/7 as Mods. So to get good moderation you need a larger pool of Mods. Probably most will be part-time, but with the increased number you then get acceptable moderation on a regular basis.

If the Mod visit rate is too low, then yes that Mod should resign. ie Most weeks they should be able to visit regularly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If a post contains content that is offensive then mods should delete the entire post. Simple. PM'ing the offending poster to edit the post and if they decline they receive an infraction is a waste of time for the mods IMO.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

HSVKing wrote:Your choice is; do I post this, or do I not post this?

Exactly!.......you have heaps of time to proof-read and edit your post before you hit the "Submit" button...... you can even hit the "Preview" button to see precisely what your final post will look like before you "Submit".

...Personally, I think there should be no 'edit' button once you've chosen to "Submit"......it might make posters consider their contributions a little more carefully before they put them on display to the world...... Poo, Bum, Plop, Fart!!!