Is roo exempt from being told off?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Is roo exempt from being told off?

yep we all agree that turning back on play is not good
it is an aspect of Sipposs game that i hate
but is it an indication of the individualism in the "team" ?
milera has copped sprays, and you can notice he has turned into a scared bunny with the ball - "gotta get it to Roo" is obvious at times
PS had a look at the Rhys play again - he looked back to the corridor twice, and at no time did Roo make a convincing lead that wasnt well and truly covered by his North opponent

Seeya
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Most ridiculous thread so far this year.

Nick is the hardest worker, and the best player by a mile.

What was the result of yesterday's game? A massive defeat. Why wouldn't he be pissed off?

He demands the same endeavour as he gives. He is the captain. He was in a better position than Stanley and he is a forward.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Reports from the bench last week had Roo giving players a spray when being subbed off if he was there. Good

Has the absolute right to demand players take the best option available. Rhys completely turned his back on play...Siposs tried a ridiculous scrubber kick to the pocket when Roo was on his own 20m from goal

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
#gosaintas
Club Player

I agree with you SainterK. Watters should pull him aside and tell him to pull his head in. He's getting worse and worse. Sooking to the umps, waving his hands around, demanding the ball in crap positions and bagging out his own players. A pretty crappy look for a captain. He is playing great footy but his young teamates don't need that crap. He is looking more and more like Richo.

It has often been said that Stanley lacks confidence. What he did was great. A clean mark, he immediately looked at distance from goal and seemed to think, stuff this, I will drill it. Then he did it. Sure he should have looked for options but he took the responsibility for the shot and Roo looked like a tool. Keep it up Rhys. That foray into the backline seems to be doing wonders for him and let's hope he gets to go one on one with NickNat this weekend.

Roo is a champion but name me another captain who carries on like that on the field.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Watching how Richmond leaders dealt with Vlastin last night, it was heart warming.

We don't have that at the saints, except from as I said earlier, Lenny.

We need to build up these kids, and we wonder why they don't have a shred of confidence?

People can applaud his sprays as character building, I completely disagree.

Am I questioning that he is an absolute champion?

Heck no.

Can't remember who it was, but a young guy kicked a goal and it was similar aged players that ran in to congratulate their mate.

Why didn't they make a big deal about the kids after the Carlton win?

Please, just take notice...you're never to old to improved your leadership.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh yes and we are in the same position as Richmond.

I suspect if one of our kids kicks a swag of goals in a great win, they will be treated well also.

I hate this bagging of our out and out champion.

This thread is one of the most ignorant and appalling I have read on here.

When Stanley turned his back to have a shot from outside fifty he rightly copped a blast.

Team rules must be adhered to, and that was a perfect opportunity to follow them. 10 goals down, gettign flogged, totally disjointed after the first quarter, finally fighting back for respectability in a shot game.

When you are getting smashed you do the things you can control, like following team rules. Deserved a spray and it was great leadership by our great champion and captain.

Someone mentioned Milera being a scared rabbit inthe headlight after attempting miracle goals when there were better options and gettign a spray. Too bad. If he is not up to the big time and playing to team rules, he can languish in the VFL.

We are attempting to rebuild a team, what we dont need is individuals breaking team rules. What we need is our captain making sure that team rules are followed, thats what a leader does.

And if you believe that Roo is the only captain that demands this from the young players, you aren't watching much football.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
#gosaintas
Club Player

It is not as if Roo was on his own when Stanley had his shot. He was manned up. Rhys knew he had the distance covered so he went for it. Roo has shots from his range limit, why not Rhys? What is the team rule? Only Roo can shoot from 50? There was no better option so he went bak and drilled it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Meh.

Like the Stanley example was an isolated incident.

If people want to blur the lines and I say I'm bagging an absolute champion, think that all you like, I'm comfortable in questioning what I believe is a flaw in his game.

Pecking order evident, which is not how you build a team.

Why can't anyone explain why we're the only team that doesn't squirt our young ones with Gatorade after their first win?

Why don't they get around the kids with any real enthusiasm?

CAN absolutely do it better.

Watch the replay, if you think it's isolated to that incident you're fooling yourselves.

I believe Roo and Milne are guilty of it the most, and there is good reason Siposs, Saad, Milera and Stanley to a point are struggling to develop.

Unless they improve their body language, indecision and confusion will continue.

More clapping, bum pats, hair ruffles are in order to change the poor morale in our kids.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Meh.

Like the Stanley example was an isolated incident.

If people want to blur the lines and I say I'm bagging an absolute champion, think that all you like, I'm comfortable in questioning what I believe is a flaw in his game.

Pecking order evident, which is not how you build a team.

Why can't anyone explain why we're the only team that doesn't squirt our young ones with Gatorade after their first win?

Why don't they get around the kids with any real enthusiasm?

CAN absolutely do it better.

Watch the replay, if you think it's isolated to that incident you're fooling yourselves.

I believe Roo and Milne are guilty of it the most, and there is good reason Siposs, Saad, Milera and Stanley to a point are struggling to develop.

Unless they improve their body language, indecision and confusion will continue.

More clapping, bum pats, hair ruffles are in order to change the poor morale in our kids.

Sounds like you think they are 10 years old. How the hell can you even put a 1% blame on Milne and Rooy for some of the players struggling to develop. As I said previously they wouldnt even remember those types of incidents after a game.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="#gosaintas"]...He is looking more and more like Richo.

...quote]
dont know about that - at least Richo looked like he was happy to be out there

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Most ridiculous thread so far this year.

Nick is the hardest worker, and the best player by a mile.

What was the result of yesterday's game? A massive defeat. Why wouldn't he be pissed off?

He demands the same endeavour as he gives. He is the captain. He was in a better position than Stanley and he is a forward.
no one is questioning his effort or record
and stanley was a forward

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: This thread is one of the most ignorant and appalling I have read on here.

When Stanley turned his back to have a shot from outside fifty he rightly copped a blast.

I said it before so I will have to say it again
Stanley was playing as a forward & made a strong lead to recieve the ball
he looked back twice
and at NO time did Roo make a convincing lead and was well covered

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: When you are getting smashed you do the things you can control, like following team rules. Deserved a spray and it was great leadership by our great champion and captain.
as milne does every week, thats the small forwards job to get the ball in traffic and snap
what you dont seem to be able to grasp is that after the sprays, his game changed - give it to roo at every opportunity - and now he is languishing in the VFL
you cant think Stanley's decision warranted a spray from Roo - unless you are equally prepared to pick apart Roos game as well

and its sad that I feel I need to sign off each post with - No one is questioning Roo's work rate, committment, record...

Seeya
realdeal
Club Player

maverick wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
SainterK wrote:Because I'd be playing him his continual dummy spits last night, including when Rhys decided it was time he stood up to he counted, and he had a whinge.

You can pay out on the likes of Saad and Siposs as much as you like, but lets not pretend Nick and Milne are "mentoring" them with their current attitudes.

Will be lucky to be on the end of anything if these guys dont get a bit of the hungry out of their game.

There. Got that out....
K I'm wondering if your view on this is coloured by your overall negative view of Roo's leadership qualities?
You have been 'down' on him for some time now in regards to this area, and it seems like you were happy for BJ to 'act angry' without it being a detriment to his (BJ's) leadership qualities?

I wasn't there last night so I cannot really comment on what transpired during the game, but I have noticed that you are generally pretty quick to comment negatively about anything to do with Roo's captaincy.
He was fine, nowhere near BJ's petulence for instance, he is a fantastic leader, the best I can remember we have had.
He is trying so hard, last night he was triple teamed for much of the last half, of course he is going to show some frustration.
He likes to win.
+1

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Got a great idea for fundraising for the club.

Bottle Riewoldt's farts and poos and sell them on Saintsational.
I'm sure people on here would go mad bidding against one another for the privilege of inhaling!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes K
one of the worst threads posted...ever...........in the history of the internet :roll:

i dont like the look of it either

micksaint777

I don't understand how you can compare us to teams who weren't 10 goals down at quarter time due to a pathetic effort from the group as a team besides a select few.

When you're so soundly beaten you can't get your hands on the damn ball then why should Roo or any other leader be giving out ass taps and head rubs? How can you possibly compare our year to that of Richmond or any other team currently sitting in the 8?

The lack of confidence has nothing to do with Roo's leadership and everything to do with the mindset of the team in general, EVERYONE (barring a couple, Roo being one of them) are short on confidence. You only have to look at Dal, Gwilt or Fisher, our senior CORE leadership group and it's no wonder our young ones have no confidence when even they don't. If you really want to point fingers about lack of leadership on field, Nick is the last in line. How about the other seniors who have yet to actually pull their finger out and show some on field presence?

I digress, we shouldn't be attack any player for lack of leadership here. What is happening is we are rebuilding, people on here cannot seem to understand that consistence is not something we will yet achieve. Confidence comes with experience and form, not because the big bad captain would dare pull them up on not doing the team thing. And if Milera for example was that soft that he would be so badly effected by a mere spray (highly doubtful, his lack of confidence is clearly due to form, or lack of) than he hasn't the mental toughness to last in the AFL anyway.

As said above, we cannot coddle the young ones like they are children. This happens in ALL teams sports, when you do well you get praised when you mess up you get a spray. It's how it always is and always will be, if you think we are the only culprit then maybe you need to watch other teams (particularly struggling ones like us) actually play to realise that Nick's passion is actually a positive, not a negative.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

matrix wrote:yes K
one of the worst threads posted...ever...........in the history of the internet :roll:

i dont like the look of it either
Not just in the history if the Internet, but the worst post since the written word was created. 8-)

FFS, it is a bad look. Keep it in house. No need to embarrass the young players in front of the other players.

Damages confidence. If he's got something to say, keep it to the breaks.

Stanley did the right thing. He kicked the goal.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:and its sad that I feel I need to sign off each post with - No one is questioning Roo's work rate, committment, record...
the only sad thing are you lot of nobodies bagging the best player we have had at the Saints this generation.

Pick s.hit because the guy is busting his balls and is competitive. Stanley did the wtrong thing. He deserved a spray and it wasn't even really a spray. Roo was showing frustration that once again one of his leads was even considered.

You say you are not questioning his committment. Absolutely hogwash. You and the others on here who bag his leadership are just armchair critics who have never been in his situation.

Riewoldt has been a champion of our club and a great captain. Leads by example ALL the time. He knows his chance to be a premiership captain is GONE, but how does he respond? By playiong the best football of his career.

This is leadership, this is what the players like Stanley need for inspiration.

And to compare Stanley to Milne is laughable, absolutely ludicrious. Stanley is a tall marking forward when he plays there, Milne is a small forward who has kicked over 500 goals. To even try to use that as an argument is laughable and show the depths that some people will go to to bag our champion.

So you and SainterK and the other sad sacks can continue to bag Riewoldt and show him no respect. It is truly amazing how miserable, petty and, banal and turgid this thread and the mouthy critics are :roll:

But continue to bag Riewoldt, find anything to have a go at him. He dropped a mark on the weekend, that showed terrible leadership. He only kicked three goal, should be sacked as captain. Run his guts out on a bung knee - no excuse :roll:

You people call yourselves supporters and all you can do is bag one of our greatest champions.

Pathetic

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
#gosaintas
Club Player

Nobody is questioning his commitment or his standing in the game. He's the best saints player since plugger and he was a prick of a bloke and left us.
Some are just getting sick of his sooky antics when the ball isn't kicked to him when is is covered anyway or if the ball doesn't hit him on the chest. What Stanley did was a great sign that he is on the improve. I hope he does it again on the weekend.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont call me a sad sack you f****** pompous fuckwitt

im sick of you
abuse abuse

so cop some back
you whine that plugger and stinger are cancers here

you mr pomp are the biggest tool in the draw

f*** me no one is questioning the blokes leadership and efforts
someone is just saying that giving some kids a spray on the field (more than once) is not a good look IN THEIR OPINION

yet your opinion is that he is f****** GOD and ANYTHING said against him like one sock is shorter than the other when he pulls them up is blasphemy and anyone pointing out said socks is a complete sad sack nobody with no f****** idea because the almighty supporter of the f****** decade joffaboy said so

go f*** yourself d**khead
seriously sick of your shite, sick of mods not doing anything about it
so
cop back what you give out

d**khead

markmark
Club Player

When players are enjoying themselfs on the field thay tend to play good footy. I can't see some kids getting spayed on the field enjoying themselfs. There is a reason why we have breaks during the game, training and a lot of meetings.

Bring it on
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

JB

You're not really someone I'd take the opinion of in regards to the subject of tempers, sprays and dummy spits.

Just saying

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

joffaboy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:and its sad that I feel I need to sign off each post with - No one is questioning Roo's work rate, committment, record...
the only sad thing are you lot of nobodies bagging the best player we have had at the Saints this generation.

Pick s.hit because the guy is busting his balls and is competitive. Stanley did the wtrong thing. He deserved a spray and it wasn't even really a spray. Roo was showing frustration that once again one of his leads was even considered.

You say you are not questioning his committment. Absolutely hogwash. You and the others on here who bag his leadership are just armchair critics who have never been in his situation.

Riewoldt has been a champion of our club and a great captain. Leads by example ALL the time. He knows his chance to be a premiership captain is GONE, but how does he respond? By playiong the best football of his career.

This is leadership, this is what the players like Stanley need for inspiration.

And to compare Stanley to Milne is laughable, absolutely ludicrious. Stanley is a tall marking forward when he plays there, Milne is a small forward who has kicked over 500 goals. To even try to use that as an argument is laughable and show the depths that some people will go to to bag our champion.

So you and SainterK and the other sad sacks can continue to bag Riewoldt and show him no respect. It is truly amazing how miserable, petty and, banal and turgid this thread and the mouthy critics are :roll:

But continue to bag Riewoldt, find anything to have a go at him. He dropped a mark on the weekend, that showed terrible leadership. He only kicked three goal, should be sacked as captain. Run his guts out on a bung knee - no excuse :roll:

You people call yourselves supporters and all you can do is bag one of our greatest champions.

Pathetic

You're full of it. Roo should have been praising Stanley for what he did - and taking credit for inspiring it. Stanley did exactly what Roo does. He stood up, took responsibility and executed the skill. Is that not what Roo does? Is that not the example we want our yoiungsters to follow - take pesonal responsibility for delivering an outcome for the team, whether that be shepherding, telling a team mate that he's clear, stepping up and kicking the goal, chasing and laying a tackle to keep the ball inside forward fifty, pressuring an opponent and forcing a mis-kick ?? They are all aspects of the game that we want our youngsters to step up and take on. If Roo had anythign to say he should have said it in a less publicly demonstrative way. That is not bagging Roo, but I agree with the example of Milera, I think Roo could have done that differently and it would have resulted in a different mindset for Milera right now.
As much as I know thinking outside of your "with us or against us" mentality is not a strength, it is possible to be supportive and appreciative of one of our best ever players and still express that there is something he could do better.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markmark wrote:When players are enjoying themselfs on the field thay tend to play good footy. I can't see some kids getting spayed on the field enjoying themselfs. There is a reason why we have breaks during the game, training and a lot of meetings.
That's the concern, they are all a bit low.

Prior to this week also, so don't blame the heavy loss.

The pecking order is a bit prehistoric, I'm so over the "well they are soft then" argument, fat lot of good if we destroy the confidence of our young players...that will do wonders for the future. Every other club makes a big deal of the kids game day before during and after the game.

So why is the fact we're poor in this area justified by so many on here...

Once again though, it's not one isolated incident.