BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: BJ

IMO that's Fisher having a sook....

Did he expect BJ to forfeit money and security for a bloke who won't look you in the eye after 10 years on the same team because he was on the losing end....

BJ had every right to leave.... He got a better offer.

Fisher would have done the same, so he could by more.....

There is NOT one person on this forum who would have stayed in his position....

BTW players are on record as saying the hold nothing against BJ and many are still his best mates.... Do idiots on here understand that?

Also, do the same fools realise StK means more to Brendon Goddard than them..... When we say its our life, it a euphemism ..... When he said it... It was a reality!!

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
always_a_saint wrote:I could be wrong but it looked like fisher completely ignored Goddard when he went to shake his hand at the end...did anyone else see that? Looked like Goddard kept trying to talk to him and fisher gave him donuts. Perhaps part of why he was so upset?
I saw it the same as you. Fisher shook #9 from Essendons hand, the Essendon player looked like he wanted to engage in a conversation and Fisher completely ignored him !!

Someon commmented at the ground he thought Lenny did the same. Just kept walking.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:Oh spare me.

You reap what you sow.

Would you have really given him four years on his 2012 form?

Give it six months and he wont give a rats arse about St.Kilda.

Will be too busy counting his money.
Exactly right-that is until he is standing out on the ground on his lonesome because his new teamates have been suspended.

Maybe he realises Essendon lied to him about so many things other than the dough.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Well I think he did dearly love the club, but I think the fact he's jumped into a virtual can of worms with Essendon has made the switch an even harder decision. I was surprised he turned his back on the Saints, I thought he was one player who bled the "Strength through loyalty" motto. If we need to blame anyone for his departure, blame the AFL and their free agency bullcrap. They are one ones dangling the really big carrots and helping disrupt teams and club loyalty.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
millarsaint wrote:he is irrelevant. move on. no interest in opposition players. he won't be crying when he sings their song.
Yeah, he was actually. And had to be consoled by Jobe Watson afterwards.

Seriously, just because we're playing like a team of busted arses, don't take it out on BJ - he gave his all for this club, not 1% less.

We all know the circumstances of his departure. He probably wants to play in a flag, too.

Fair dinkum, the blokes LOVES St Kilda. He'll always be one of us.

And I dare say he's given so much more than anyone of us in the stands.
well said evertonfc - some ridiculous comments on this thread about a bloke who gave it all for 10 years and nearly clinched us a premiership....its 2013 not 1958!

Nee!
Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:The bloke wanted 4 years and believed he'd earned it with ten years of loyalty

The loyalty he showed in 2007 when he was chased but refused to budge wasn't returned with what he believed was a fair offer. He was worth more to Ess than StK it seems, and that's how he saw it!

He loved StK more than any of us!
Fair bit of truth in that

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:The bloke wanted 4 years and believed he'd earned it with ten years of loyalty

The loyalty he showed in 2007 when he was chased but refused to budge wasn't returned with what he believed was a fair offer. He was worth more to Ess than StK it seems, and that's how he saw it!

He loved StK more than any of us!
Fair bit of truth in that

Richter
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:I would understand better if it was an offer to big to refuse like Ablett

Walked away when it was going to be a bit tough
Agree chook.

(And seeing as though there are 2 threads on this, here's my 10cents from the other thread....)

If we accept that Goddard did love St Kilda and misses his mates who he played alongside for a decade - both propositions I find to be likely - then it stands to reason that he has sold out his mates either for more money, or for more success. And that he feels bad about that choice.

He knows that many players before him stayed in similar circumstances - Hayes, Harvey, Barker. Not to mention plenty of others at other clubs - the current Geelong list for starters. With Ball, I found it easier to understand him going as Lyon clearly didn't value him, but Goddard was valued by Watters. it's silly to use figures such as $500k and compare it to what price people on here would put on loyalty. That's less than a year's salary for Goddard, over 4 years. He chose that cash over staying with his mates, and over probably captaining our club.

Sure, he's sad he isn't a Saint any more, and sure he misses his mates. No doubt he also realises that he gave up the chance to captain his club. But the emotions that bubble over, the ones he can't consciously admit to (hence "I'm emotional and I don't know why"), are guilt and shame at the fact that in a game that is all about putting the team above yourself Goddard made a decision which was about himself and only himself.

I entirely fits that when Chips gave him the cold shoulder that he should feel this shame so acutely.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
realdeal
Club Player

He had a choice, he left.
Lenny, Roo, Harvs, Burke etc all stayed instead of taking big offers.
Don't do the ditch and then shed a tear when he actually had control of the situation.
He'll be remembered as a champ who also played with essendon, but he could've been remembered as an all time great saints player and probably captain. His choice.

Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:IMO that's Fisher having a sook....

Did he expect BJ to forfeit money and security for a bloke who won't look you in the eye after 10 years on the same team because he was on the losing end....

BJ had every right to leave.... He got a better offer.

Fisher would have done the same, so he could by more.....

There is NOT one person on this forum who would have stayed in his position....

BTW players are on record as saying the hold nothing against BJ and many are still his best mates.... Do idiots on here understand that?

Also, do the same fools realise StK means more to Brendon Goddard than them..... When we say its our life, it a euphemism ..... When he said it... It was a reality!!
Fair dinkum.

It's a TEAM sport. Yes Goddard is expected to make personal sacrifices.

I know that in the same position I would have made a different choice. Joey did, Lenny did. Dal did. Goddard sold out for around a quarter of his annual salary per year over 4 years and lost the chance to captain an AFL club and be an all-time legend. The fact that you would have done the same says more about you being a d**khead than any of us here.

Do you seriously think that his old mates at St Kilda won't feel just a tinsy bit betrayed by what he did? Surely you get that? And that they can still be his mates at the same time as feeling let down by him. And that the reason that they say publicly that they hold nothing against Goddard for moving is precisely because they are still mates with him and don't want him to humiliate him.

Fair dinkum.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I lost the last shred of respect I had for him.

Fair dinkum if he loved the club as much as he claims he would have stayed. This "he loves the club more than any of us" is complete dross. The administration will move on because they have to, the players will get over it pretty quick and some will even stay mates with him but us fans will never forget. We are the loyalest group of fans going about because we have to be. You dont f*** the fans and Goddard f***ed the fans like he was Ron Jeremy and we were a big titted blonde. Yes he gave us 10 years and played some great footy and bled for the club but he may forget that the fans supported him through form struggles, injuries and media speculation he wont live up to his potential. Not to mention taunts from opposition fans (including the ones of the side he now wears the colors of) Do you think Essendon fans will do the same? I dont. The second his form drops the they turn on him. Ask Jobe Watson. How many of them called for him to be dumped 3 years ago and now they love him.

He acts like he had not choice but in reality he was offered a very very good amount of coin and a 3 year deal to stay and more than probably would have been captain but because the club he "loves" didnt give him 1 measly year (the option for the 4th was on the table) and an extra 100k he took an offer from a hated rival who gave him what he wanted. Yes its not the 70s anymore and Football is a business and all that but a bloke like Goodard was always considered a throw back to those days because he always gave the impression that he would die for the club, if I also recall he always gave the indication he would re sign for us. Thats why I loved him and thats why I now cant stand the sight of him.

Make no mistake Goddards loyalty is to himself and to a lesser extent his wallet and the chance to win a flag. My opinion he is an arrogant and selfish person who acted on impulse and now has what I like to call traitors remorse. In my opinion His tears were for himself. He can cry a river of tears for all I care.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintkellerm
Club Player

Make no mistake Goddards loyalty is to himself and to a lesser extent his wallet and the chance to win a flag. My opinion he is an arrogant and selfish person who acted on impulse and now has what I like to call traitors remorse. In my opinion His tears were for himself. He can cry a river of tears for all I care.

This I agree with!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
millarsaint wrote:he is irrelevant. move on. no interest in opposition players. he won't be crying when he sings their song.

Seriously, just because we're playing like a team of busted arses, don't take it out on BJ - he gave his all for this club, not 1% less.

We all know the circumstances of his departure. He probably wants to play in a flag, too.

Well said Everton.

deadman walking
Club Player

maybe the club had to moved him on for cup issues we had to lose a big name player

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

saintkellerm wrote:Make no mistake Goddards loyalty is to himself and to a lesser extent his wallet and the chance to win a flag. My opinion he is an arrogant and selfish person who acted on impulse and now has what I like to call traitors remorse. In my opinion His tears were for himself. He can cry a river of tears for all I care.

This I agree with!
I'm inclined to agree with this.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

deadman walking wrote:maybe the club had to moved him on for cap issues we had to lose a big name player
People seem to forget this… our cap was still buggered for this year

OUT
Warrick Andreoli
Daniel Archer
Raphael Clarke
Jamie Cripps (trd)
Sam Crocker
Brendon Goddard (FA)
Jason Gram
Brett Peake
Dean Polo

Barely any relief with those departures, Gram's 2013 had to be counted in this years cap… Riewoldt going from 1,000,000 to 500,000 didn't do a lot, as in 2012 half of his salary was included in the cap, but I think in 2013 only 100,000 is not counted…

Keeping our cap in a stressed position for the next 4 years doesn't make a lot of sense.

Greg T
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:

Well said.....
I reckon he was fair dinkum, he did give us so many great games and nearly won us a flag.
Like usual, no moneyi in the pot to pay him....
He'll always be a sainter as silly as that sounds

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

It was obvious bj showed real emotion for his old club. Ess offered him about 1.4mill more and 4 year security. stk could not be stuffed even negotiating. Another loss of a great and passionate player. I don't blame him for going I blame the club for losing him and letting it get to fa.
We needed future leaders and I wish we had more, there was very little leadership last Saturday.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.