Todays Sandringham game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

creepypolar
Club Player

Re: Todays Sandringham game.

BigMart wrote:We had 4 of them playing for Sandy

My guess is that he meant Curren
thanks!!

I sort of didn't real want him to mean any of them though :(

Simpkin is tough as nails and tbh hard not to like
Curren going great guns. He is also a mid who is tough and can win clearances
Ledger is quite quick and can win the clearances too and we desperately need some pace in our midfield.
And well Lee is an exciting player and I for one can't wait too see how he goes

If some clubs think they are good enough to be in their best 22, they could make a play for any of our Toms.

Wouldn't want to loose any

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Oops sorry guys, I didn't mean to be so vague. I was referring to Curren, my bad.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:He sounds like a pick 60 odd draft pick whose been de-listed once before....

Its these sort of complete c**k ups that set you back years.
You're going very early on this one Teflon. It takes a while for guys to find their feet in a new environment. I reckon the kid has talent. He's tall, can take a grab and can kick goals.

Team Tommy
Club Player

creepypolar wrote:
BigMart wrote:We had 4 of them playing for Sandy

My guess is that he meant Curren
thanks!!

I sort of didn't real want him to mean any of them though :(

Simpkin is tough as nails and tbh hard not to like
Curren going great guns. He is also a mid who is tough and can win clearances
Ledger is quite quick and can win the clearances too and we desperately need some pace in our midfield.
And well Lee is an exciting player and I for one can't wait too see how he goes

If some clubs think they are good enough to be in their best 22, they could make a play for any of our Toms.

Wouldn't want to loose any
Great to hear. Looks like my nick still has currency then.

70s sainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:He sounds like a pick 60 odd draft pick whose been de-listed once before....

Its these sort of complete c**k ups that set you back years.
You're going very early on this one Teflon. It takes a while for guys to find their feet in a new environment. I reckon the kid has talent. He's tall, can take a grab and can kick goals.
He will easily be the most intruiging player to watch over this season . The whole perception most people have of our recruiting staff lies with this one pick- rightly or wrongly.

BadRossco
Club Player

[quote="70s sainter"][quote="bigcarl"][quote="Teflon"]He sounds like a pick 60 odd draft pick whose been de-listed once before....

Its these sort of complete c**k ups that set you back years.[/quote]

You're going very early on this one Teflon. It takes a while for guys to find their feet in a new environment. I reckon the kid has talent. He's tall, can take a grab and can kick goals.[/quote]

He will easily be the most intruiging player to watch over this season . The whole perception most people have of our recruiting staff lies with this one pick- rightly or wrongly.[/quote]

This is not the only selection damning our recruiting people. Try McQualter, Lynch, Raph Clarke, Cripps these were all our first picks and not an AFL standard player among them

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote:This is not the only selection damning our recruiting people. Try McQualter, Lynch, Raph Clarke, Cripps these were all our first picks and not an AFL standard player among them
So much about this comment makes no sense. For a start, Cripps has already played two games for his new club and they're better than us so he's presumably AFL standard.

And why are you just looking at some of our first draft picks in the last ten years? Here are all of them:

2003 pick 8: Raph Clarke (85 games)
2004 pick 17: Andrew McQualter (89 games)
2005 pick 33: Sam Gilbert (133 games)
2006 pick 9: David Armitage (73 games)
2007 pick 9: Ben McEvoy (71 games)
2008 pick 13: Tom Lynch (6 games)
2009 pick 32: Nick Winmar (2 games)
2010 pick 24: Jamie Cripps (16 games)
2011 pick 25: Sebastian Ross (1 game)
2012 pick 24: Nathan Wright (0 games)

There's some pretty crappy first picks there - two in the thirties, three in the twenties. What's the chance that you'll get a player at that pick? Lower than in the top ten. Only three picks below ten and none below eight, so it's not exactly the greatest set of draft picks ever. And yet there's some solid players there, Gilbo, Armo and McEvoy are still in the side, and Cripps would be if we weren't forced to trade him. That's four out of ten. And Ross and Wright haven't had time yet so who knows if they'll make it?

Yes, there's some failures, but how many clubs can you look at over the last ten years and say they've never picked a dud?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

an equally big waste was draft picks traded for hacks or very short term gains under the Lyon era

Dean Polo
Michael Gardiner
Brett Peake
Andrew Lovett
Adam Pattison
Jessie Smith

and there were more.

If those draft picks had been used on youngsters, we could reasonably have expected to have picked up at least a couple of long term players in the quality of Siposs or Gwilt. That would have been a far better outcome for the club, and we'd be much better off for it now.

History shows that short term trades will always set your club back. Need we be reminded of the Sheldon era?

older saint
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:an equally big waste was draft picks traded for hacks or very short term gains under the Lyon era

Dean Polo
Michael Gardiner
Brett Peake
Andrew Lovett
Adam Pattison
Jessie Smith

and there were more.

If those draft picks had been used on youngsters, we could reasonably have expected to have picked up at least a couple of long term players in the quality of Siposs or Gwilt. That would have been a far better outcome for the club, and we'd be much better off for it now.

History shows that short term trades will always set your club back. Need we be reminded of the Sheldon era?
To be fair what we used to pick those players needs to be considered.

Gardiner more than useful in a premiership run - gave up little
Peake - better return than most for what we gave up
Lovett - Who knew he would do what he did
Pattison - waste
Smith - gave up bugger all

To be fair compare to the guys we have picked at the same level of draft pick that were young and never played a senior game after 2 years.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:an equally big waste was draft picks traded for hacks or very short term gains under the Lyon era

Michael Gardiner
What? Without Gardiner we would not have made the GF in 2009 and 2010. We wouldn't have been within a kick of winning in 2009 with just minutes to go, and if he hadn't got injured early in the game we would have won it in 2010. Remember it however you want, but that's the truth. He played 20 games in 09 and 22 in 10. Ruckmen still mattered back then and having a good number one like Gardy was a step better than any other option available to us at the time.

And do you remember what he cost us? We traded 2006 draft pick 43 down to 59. He was almost free. I don't see how you can make the claim that it was a mistake.

cannavaro17
Club Player

Gardiner was quality in my opinion!

Winmar
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's no coincidence that our midfield seemingly demised when Gardiner and/or Tudor left, not sure who to attribute that to more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's no coincidence that our midfield seemingly demised when Gardiner and/or Tudor left, not sure who to attribute that to more.

Age is my guess.

saintbob
SS Life Member

cannavaro17 wrote:Gardiner was quality in my opinion!
+1

To suggest otherwise, would be ludicrous

70s sainter
Club Player

[/quote]This is not the only selection damning our recruiting people. Try McQualter, Lynch, Raph Clarke, Cripps these were all our first picks and not an AFL standard player among them[/quote]

Yeh but im talking about our current recruiting people.( pelchen, bains , elshaug etc.) .....Plus im not damning them yet. It could turn out to be a master stroke when people start asking " where did you get wright from again.........oh , you got him with lee , who is a gun ? all for pick 12? "
Hopefully we ll hear this conversation one day.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner's output was just above reasonable.... Didn't finish in the top dozen in the B&F in any year.

And, wasn't difficult to predict Lovett would be Delisted before he played a game.

Rape wouldn't have been my guess, domestic violence or drunk and disorderly issues maybe

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gardiner's output was just above reasonable.... Didn't finish in the top dozen in the B&F in any year.

And, wasn't difficult to predict Lovett would be Delisted before he played a game.

Rape wouldn't have been my guess, domestic violence or drunk and disorderly issues maybe

My god you have no broken your record in hindsight. i know you didnt want this guy but not once did you suggest he wouldnt play a game for us and would break the law and get delisted. You would think as you didnt want him so much you also would have said that but no. Hindsght king.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I suggest you go back through the threads again.... And read my reactions to his recruitment to StK

This time don't lie?

You've been doing that a lot lately..... Remember if you're going to make reference to the past, add the reference.

And

Why can't someone use hindsight to make a comment. Is that not allowed?? That being said, I can assure you... I didn't think AL was a good idea ATT

I believe I pointed out he was a drunk wife basher loser.... Therefore a PREDICTION wouldn't have been difficult!

Nor did I think the Ball saga was well handled... We got zero in compensation.... Mis-management by a pig headed power tripper...

That we should have recruited Cousins

Didn't see the point of trading X or Goose for nothing

Brad Howard was a ridiculous choice at 27

That Jamie Cripps was soft

That Justin Sweeney did not have the attitude for AFL footy

None of these were hindsight
But hang on, you criticised me for not giving time to allow hindsight and going to early???
Which is it man?
Can't make a criticism ATT
Can't make one in hindsight

Is it that we can't make a criticism at all??????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I suggest you go back through the threads again.... And read my reactions to his recruitment to StK

This time don't lie?

You've been doing that a lot lately..... Remember if you're going to make reference to the past, add the reference.

And

Why can't someone use hindsight to make a comment. Is that not allowed?? That being said, I can assure you... I didn't think AL was a good idea ATT

I believe I pointed out he was a drunk wife basher loser.... Therefore a PREDICTION wouldn't have been difficult!

Nor did I think the Ball saga was well handled... We got zero in compensation.... Mis-management by a pig headed power tripper...

That we should have recruited Cousins

Didn't see the point of trading X or Goose for nothing

Brad Howard was a ridiculous choice at 27

That Jamie Cripps was soft

That Justin Sweeney did not have the attitude for AFL footy

None of these were hindsight
But hang on, you criticised me for not giving time to allow hindsight and going to early???
Which is it man?
Can't make a criticism ATT
Can't make one in hindsight

Is it that we can't make a criticism at all??????

Cripps being soft is hindsight for a start. We should have recruited Cousins. Are you right with that?

And looked through your posts when we got Lovett and as I said you didnt want him but no mention he wouldnt play a game for us or would break the law. Hindsight and hilarious. Wow and getting Sweeney right. Who would have thought. Yep you got Howard right. How did Lenny, Milney and Blake go in their retirement at the end of last year? How did the good doctor go at WCE. but you have an excuse for that one.

And you can do what you like but lies and crap will be picked up.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gardiner's output was just above reasonable.... Didn't finish in the top dozen in the B&F in any year.

Your a joke if it was so easy to predict why was he sought after by more than one AFL Club including Geelong.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps.... Hindsight... Wasn't the argument that I needed to allow him time before making judgement

Keep making stuff up plugger

Why did I say I didn't want Lovett... You should have added that...

Seriously, you just don't like the club being subject to criticism..... And sook about it.

At the end of the day, you know full well, they have made huge mistakes...

But you, I fact are the one who needs hindsight before you'll admit it

You defended recruiting tooth and nail in 2008-2009 and now admit it was poor. You went into bat for players drafted when I criticised .... When proven right, not a word???

And

And how about referencing some of your claims

The good doctor is I suppose Tom Swift?
Would I have been wrong in drafting him? Does that make me clueless?? Does that make WCE recruiters clueless??? They drafted him...... Do you know what Tom achieved before he was drafted?? He was a monty to go #1 before his injuries.
Unfortunately, his body... Like a hundred other kids let him down.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How did Lovett go in 2010?

He was delisted yeah?

I didn't say that I would have predicted his crime, I even stated that.... Although not surprised by it.

I knew he was trouble.... Said it clearly on the day we traded for him.... Whilst others were singing from the rooftops that we got a star (what a joke) I was typically shot down... Should have waited for HINDSIGHT!!!
When I was proved right and he caused trouble... We had lost a FRzdP and 1m dollars ..... The decision to draft him was still defended

Why can't mistakes just be accepted.... Denial is a killer

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cripps.... Hindsight... Wasn't the argument that I needed to allow him time before making judgement

Keep making stuff up plugger

Why did I say I didn't want Lovett... You should have added that...

Seriously, you just don't like the club being subject to criticism..... And sook about it.

At the end of the day, you know full well, they have made huge mistakes...

But you, I fact are the one who needs hindsight before you'll admit it

You defended recruiting tooth and nail in 2008-2009 and now admit it was poor. You went into bat for players drafted when I criticised .... When proven right, not a word???

And

And how about referencing some of your claims

The good doctor is I suppose Tom Swift?
Would I have been wrong in drafting him? Does that make me clueless?? Does that make WCE recruiters clueless??? They drafted him...... Do you know what Tom achieved before he was drafted?? He was a monty to go #1 before his injuries.
Unfortunately, his body... Like a hundred other kids let him down.

You said Cripps was soft after about 7 games. That is hindsight. you didnt say it when we recruited him but you did say he hasnt got a photo whatever that means. Nothing made up there. And the rest of what you said is again made up rubbish.

You just dont get it. And again the excuses. You wanted Swift even after he was injured and a monty to go number one. Again rubbish. And I critsise the club maybe to much but i dont say it wes bad recruiting because there isnt a photo. That is what you dont get. And the club does make mistakes as every club does.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again with the inaccuracies.
I said Cripps was soft after 2 games... And made the call after 2 contests because he 'pulled out' both times and was dragged once.

On Swift, many clubs wanted him, but knew the risk.... And did not want to gamble... He would have gone between 18-40 without doubt. If his body held up, he would have been a steal. But that's the risk.
Why do you reckon he retired??
The photo, that old chest nut? Is that what you've gone back to?? There was no photo of Cripps... Why was that, I'm actually interested?? There were photos of all of the others selected in the first two rounds?? I have admitted numerously that I did barely any research into the 2010 draft.... I did think when he was selected, here we f***ing go again, another Roughie with a blue chip pick.... I did know who JD was from 2009, loved to have got him....

On mistakes
What does history suggest about StK?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Again with the inaccuracies.
I said Cripps was soft after 2 games... And made the call after 2 contests because he 'pulled out' both times and was dragged once.

On Swift, many clubs wanted him, but knew the risk.... And did not want to gamble... He would have gone between 18-40 without doubt. If his body held up, he would have been a steal. But that's the risk.
Why do you reckon he retired??
The photo, that old chest nut? Is that what you've gone back to?? There was no photo of Cripps... Why was that, I'm actually interested?? There were photos of all of the others selected in the first two rounds?? I have admitted numerously that I did barely any research into the 2010 draft.... I did think when he was selected, here we f***ing go again, another Roughie with a blue chip pick.... I did know who JD was from 2009, loved to have got him....

On mistakes
What does history suggest about StK?

I saw Hunt pull out after 100 games. still dont think he is soft. Please dont go on about the photos. it maybe the silliest thing ever said as to why a player shouldnt be recruited. And you barely did any research in 2010 but said here we f****** go again. To me that suggests the first thing you think about our club is negative. Always looking for what is wrong. I would think any supporter from any club could find the same if that is how they felt. And i still cant ind anything that you said about Darling before the 2009 draft. Maybe it was deleated.

As for Swift. You said he was a monty to go number one and now you say between 18 and 40. Confusing.He retired because he wanted to be a doctor.