Expectations for 2013 Season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Expectations for 2013 Season

Strange that I have no real expectations this year, however, I do believe we are good enough to make finals if we can stay reasonably healthy.
I think Hickey will make a huge difference to our mid field giving us a reasonable chance to be first with the ball from stoppages.
Also think we have the best small forward combination in the competition, if Roo, Maister, Lee and yes even Kosi can create loose ball in our forward line if they can't mark, then we will score fairly consistently and heavily.
Whilst we don't have a key fullback, we have still stregthened our defensive depth and given us better rebound capabilities with Sipposs, who I think may be the story of the year, plus Gilbert and Fish.
Look in short, just feel we may surprise this year, and do a lot better than a lot of people think.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
sverik25
Club Player

The optimistic me likes to think that we will sneak into 7th or 8th place but I think the more realistic expectation would be that St Kilda finish 9th to 12th with 10-12 wins. I'm happy to be proven wrong though!

Kernal75
Club Player

In reality I believe we will be bottom 6. Sides like the Tiggers, Blues, Bombers look further down the development path than we are. Most of those will be expecting to play finals but the question is at the expense of who? We struggled against the top 8 last year and I haven't seen anything to suggest that will change this year (we got beaten by GWS and PAFC during the NAB Cup). So take all that into account and at worst we see a shuffling of positions from 9-18 with us being moved down by way of greater improvement from those sides below us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:In reality I believe we will be bottom 6. Sides like the Tiggers, Blues, Bombers look further down the development path than we are. Most of those will be expecting to play finals but the question is at the expense of who? We struggled against the top 8 last year and I haven't seen anything to suggest that will change this year (we got beaten by GWS and PAFC during the NAB Cup). So take all that into account and at worst we see a shuffling of positions from 9-18 with us being moved down by way of greater improvement from those sides below us.

I would think we have done some improvements to our list and any of the teams probably from 3 to 18 could fall in any way. It is probably the most even year i can remember. It is even hard to say with confidence who the top few teams will be. I could easily see the Swans getting injuries to key players and falling outside the 8. The Hawks could be premiers or struggle to make top 4 with the distractions of Buddy and a few injuries to the back line.

adelaide could fall away as could North who both had gifted draws handed to them last year. The new franchises will both knock off anyone who hits them sleeping so won't be practice matches any more. West Coasts list looks great and freo seem to be coming but any thing could happen with either one. Essendon could be anything, Tigers should go up but the worst thing they could do is get cocky. Brisbane have improved, Port have improved even some of the bulldogs kids look like they are getting better and with Dale Morris back they look a better team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:any of the teams probably from 3 to 18 could fall in any way.
So you are saying that any of Collingwood, Eagles, Geelong & Freo could finish 18th and any of Melbourne, GCS & GWS could round out the top 4?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
So you are saying that any of Collingwood, Eagles, Geelong & Freo could finish 18th and any of Melbourne, GCS & GWS could round out the top 4?

No more that there is so many teams so close that anyone with a bit of bad luck could fall heavily but conversely heaps could rise. Carlton and Essendon collapsed with a heap of injuries Collingwood potentially could lose three or four key players and a few depth players and do the same. Geelong could be anything and again they rely heavily on a senior core that is ageing like us. Freo had that same thing occur before Lyon came along. It's so close this year it's hard to safely call. Potentially either of the franchises could take some more games out and really upset plenty of teams plans.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:

No more that there is so many teams so close that anyone with a bit of bad luck could fall heavily but conversely heaps could rise. Carlton and Essendon collapsed with a heap of injuries Collingwood potentially could lose three or four key players and a few depth players and do the same. Geelong could be anything and again they rely heavily on a senior core that is ageing like us. Freo had that same thing occur before Lyon came along. It's so close this year it's hard to safely call. Potentially either of the franchises could take some more games out and really upset plenty of teams plans.

I reckon there are 3 or 4 sides that cant miss the finals and about 5 who cant make the finals. The 3 or 4 who cant miss would have to have an extraordinary amount of injuries to even get close to missing. Those sides just have so much depth.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:

I reckon there are 3 or 4 sides that cant miss the finals and about 5 who cant make the finals. The 3 or 4 who cant miss would have to have an extraordinary amount of injuries to even get close to missing. Those sides just have so much depth.

Care to name the three sides.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:bottom 4
You said that last year too.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Probably hopes that he's bound to get it right eventually.

I just haven't bought into the Tiger, North and Blues hype....can't see them 'taking the next step' personally.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm tipping bottom 9

We don't have key defenders, we'll probably lose the hit out stats and the clearances and our key forwards, apart from an ageing Roo, aren't proven.

The Academy will be working overtime but i'm not sure how much difference these "Acadamies" can make to a players inherent skill level.......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:
Probably hopes that he's bound to get it right eventually.

I just haven't bought into the Tiger, North and Blues hype....can't see them 'taking the next step' personally.

I think Carlton have pretty fair claims from their injuries last year. They should get better value from Yarran, Kruizer and plenty of their mids. Tigers and North still have plenty to prove though.

sainter#4
Club Player

besides west coast and collingwood - possibly the hawks depending on how they recover from injuries and loss of clinton young.

the rest of the ladder is a raffle. We could be anything, one thing i think is a guarantee is that we will excite - our game plan and mosquito fleet just scream it.

There is no reason to think we cannot match any team - We just need the rub of the green and consistency

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'm tipping bottom 9

We don't have key defenders, we'll probably lose the hit out stats and the clearances and our key forwards, apart from an ageing Roo, aren't proven.

The Academy will be working overtime but i'm not sure how much difference these "Acadamies" can make to a players inherent skill level.......
Development coaches are crucial to success these days. It's one way you can overcome the disadvantage of not having early picks. The success of the filth, swines and pussies are the proof for this.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!