Saints V swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Saints V swans

mad saint guy wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Sooty but have to disagree with you, Newnes is a jet and will play every game this year unless injured. Wright had 17 disposal at 76% efficiency, he doesn't fumble and his work off the ball showed real footy smarts. Not sure what you expect from a 19yo kid
Wright was solid but not AFL standard yet. There's nothing wrong with that but people are getting a bit carried away, stating he's a readymade regular.

Newnes also was ok, but is a fair way off actually influencing the contest. He hasn't done anything a player like Leigh Fisher couldn't do
yeah I am of the same thinking towards these two
I just cant seem to recall Wright having an influence. Newnes even less so.
I was called on being a bit harsh on Sipposs during the game thread, but that was because he just cost us a 9 pointer with a defensive wayward kick, excuding that, he influenced the game
But you have to look at the swans game realisticly, & the three players that I think showed enough to make 2013 side are Sipposs, Hickey and Roberton.
I mean I liked what I saw with TDL but who is he going to force out? (maybe Milera) The way I see it we have a dearth of c graders that need to upgrade in 2013

Seeya
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Quick verdicts after watching the replay.

Ferguson: Out of his depth still. Way too early to tell if he'll end up being a player, but he has some good attributes.

Newnes, Wright, Ross: none of these young guys were bad, none were great. Not Newnes's best game but he was fine, Wright was surprisingly good but relatively was still just OK, Ross was OK despite the bagging on here. All of them look like they should end up solid AFL players or better.

Siposs: Not his best game but showed his class a bit. I still don't think he's got the tank for this level so it'll be another year before he really hits his straps.

Roberton: He's not first choice as a mid-size defender or even second choice, but he's excellent depth, and could easily grow to be more than that because he looks like he understands the game.

Ledger: Didn't get much of a run but I thought his last quarter was the most consistent footy he's played, mainly as an inside mid. Maybe he's better with quick clearances than when he gets the ball in space. Don't write him off yet.

Hickey: Solid, definitely competing well for one of the tall spots in the side, and in a few years he should be real quality.

Stanley: On the basis of that half a game, I reckon he could be a good defender. Definitely worth giving him more of a go down there, if he's ever fit.

Dunell: I'm not at all sure about him. He's a bit like Farren Ray in that he doesn't really have a spot - not a true mid, not tall enough to play key position, not quite good enough to be a quarterback. I reckon this year will be a tough "second year blues" year for him and hopefully he improves into 2014.

Dennis-Lane: Another lively small forward. No idea how we're going to fit them all in the team but it's a good problem to have.

Armitage: Great game, I'm really excited about his 2013. I reckon the interchange restrictions helped him because he was still going full dash in the last.

Maister: Solid game. He's the exact opposite of number 23: competes well, doesn't clunk many marks, good at ground level, not a great kick at goal, runs himself into the ground. He's everything Kosi isn't. Should play a lot of games this year.

Jones: Makes mistakes but has such a good tank and knows how to find the ball. Don't count him out yet.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Quick verdicts after watching the replay.

Ferguson: Out of his depth still. Way too early to tell if he'll end up being a player, but he has some good attributes.

Newnes, Wright, Ross: none of these young guys were bad, none were great. Not Newnes's best game but he was fine, Wright was surprisingly good but relatively was still just OK, Ross was OK despite the bagging on here. All of them look like they should end up solid AFL players or better.

Siposs: Not his best game but showed his class a bit. I still don't think he's got the tank for this level so it'll be another year before he really hits his straps.

Roberton: He's not first choice as a mid-size defender or even second choice, but he's excellent depth, and could easily grow to be more than that because he looks like he understands the game.

Ledger: Didn't get much of a run but I thought his last quarter was the most consistent footy he's played, mainly as an inside mid. Maybe he's better with quick clearances than when he gets the ball in space. Don't write him off yet.

Hickey: Solid, definitely competing well for one of the tall spots in the side, and in a few years he should be real quality.

Stanley: On the basis of that half a game, I reckon he could be a good defender. Definitely worth giving him more of a go down there, if he's ever fit.

Dunell: I'm not at all sure about him. He's a bit like Farren Ray in that he doesn't really have a spot - not a true mid, not tall enough to play key position, not quite good enough to be a quarterback. I reckon this year will be a tough "second year blues" year for him and hopefully he improves into 2014.

Dennis-Lane: Another lively small forward. No idea how we're going to fit them all in the team but it's a good problem to have.

Armitage: Great game, I'm really excited about his 2013. I reckon the interchange restrictions helped him because he was still going full dash in the last.

Maister: Solid game. He's the exact opposite of number 23: competes well, doesn't clunk many marks, good at ground level, not a great kick at goal, runs himself into the ground. He's everything Kosi isn't. Should play a lot of games this year.

Jones: Makes mistakes but has such a good tank and knows how to find the ball. Don't count him out yet.
Pretty much how I saw it. Jackson at least didn't stuff up though and that was a plus. There was no absolute disasterous play.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

TDL very clean with the ball - just doesn't get enough of it. Very similar to Milera - but i think Terry gets more of it.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:TDL very clean with the ball - just doesn't get enough of it. Very similar to Milera - but i think Terry gets more of it.
On this game, they both got the same amount of disposals...Terry got a goal, TDL got 2 goals, a behind and 2 assists.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In summary our list looks more balanced than 18 months ago thats for sure.
Future looks almost bright whereas it looked grim for a while.
Im still worried that GWS have been stockpiling talent and will be unbeatable in 3 years time.
Hard to know though. But at least we have around 10 players under 25 with some genuine talent.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You have to watch the replays before ...

Something I learnt a couple of years ago is that I have to watch the Saints game in replay, before I can get a balanced view on the team or players output. In my case the passion, game results and some pre conceived views on players has biaised my review when posting shortly after the game.

I wonder if this is the case on some peoples views on the players we had out there on Saturday, as for me they are an exciting group of kids coming thru!

Seb Ross improved markedly from his previous game. He has the ability to get first hands to the ball and uses it well. When he develops the required AFL endurance fitness he will be a good player. He is reasonably quick at full pace, but his movement between contests does look slow, as he is another with a different running style.

Nathan Wright is the first ready to play 18 y/o we have recruited in sometime! He has speed, poise and courage which will see him turn into a very very solid player for this team.

Jackson Ferguson showed enough to suggest he will make a solid defender. Another years development into his strength and he will be pushing for a full time gig.

Tom Ledger I cant believe people are so down on this kid. IMO he is attacks the ball as hard as anyone on our list and has great clearance work. He also needs to keep working on his endurance but IMO he will make a solid midfielder in the mould of Tony Francis.

Aaron SIPPOSS IMO will be a better player than Goddard if he is not aleady. Definitely is a lot more capable of winning his own ball.

Jack Newnes will be captain of this team in the not too distant future. The guy has leadership and quality written all over him. In time he will be an A grade midfielder leading from the front.

Rhys Stanley will make a great CHB and if he can have some luck with injuries will be the difference in us playing finals or not in 2013.

Beau Maister is the real deal at full forward but the club needs to be mindful of his workload !

Tom Hickey is a good back up ruckman and in time will show that he can also contribute up forward.

Sam Dunnell was for me a bit disappointing in that game. Yes he did kick 2 goals but didnt look to have the desire of the some of the players around him.

Ben McEvoy does look better when he doesn't hav to do all the ruck work. If he can play the Kosi role when resting up forward - he and Hickey will be a great combination.

No need for all the gloom Sainters our future is as bright now as it has been in sometime! Lets just hope we dont peak at the same time as GWS & GCS do !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: You have to watch the replays before ...

WinnersOnly wrote:Aaron SIPPOSS IMO will be a better player than Goddard if he is not aleady.
He is not already. Not even close. He's promising, but that's a ridiculous statement.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Good write ups Berg and WO. Of note, Nathan Wright was an over ager in the TAC cup last year so being more mature than most new recruits we should see him play more senior footy this year. I don't want to get too excited about the young fella but it's hard not to. His breakaway speed and ability to break tackles with pace and strength reminds me of a young Chris Judd just without the same ball winning ability and goal sense.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Good write ups Berg and WO. Of note, Nathan Wright was an over ager in the TAC cup last year so being more mature than most new recruits we should see him play more senior footy this year. I don't want to get too excited about the young fella but it's hard not to.
Yeah, he just looks like he's ready to play. The question with these mature-bodied kids is always what their ceiling is. Judd was ready in year one and kept improving to win a couple of Brownlows; on the other hand, Rhys Palmer shot out of the blocks and has never reached those heights again (admittedly due to injury).

So who knows? No doubt though it's refreshing to have an 18 year old who's actually ready to play.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Aaron SIPPOSS IMO will be a better player than Goddard if he is not aleady.
He is not already. Not even close. He's promising, but that's a ridiculous statement.
Your opinion Berg - but I believe Siposs attacks to ball and the man with ball much harder than Goddard ever did!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mick13
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Good write ups Berg and WO. Of note, Nathan Wright was an over ager in the TAC cup last year so being more mature than most new recruits we should see him play more senior footy this year. I don't want to get too excited about the young fella but it's hard not to. His breakaway speed and ability to break tackles with pace and strength reminds me of a young Chris Judd just without the same ball winning ability and goal sense.
You sure? He's listed on the Saints website with a DOB in 1994. He's already turned 19. But so has Murdoch. And so will White and Pierce later this year. Old for his age group. But he wasn't available to be selected last year.

http://www.saints.com.au/team/players/seniors

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Your opinion Berg - but I believe Siposs attacks to ball and the man with ball much harder than Goddard ever did!

What a lot of crap but then BJ has left so he is always going to be worse than he actually was. Siposs may be better already. Seriously what are you on today?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Sip is currently half the player BJ was... May very well be better, and as this season progresses may flourish, and I think he will be a champion, but as it stands this minute, he's at 50%BJ..

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Sip is currently half the player BJ was... May very well be better, and as this season progresses may flourish, and I think he will be a champion, but as it stands this minute, he's at 50%BJ..
as Hugh Grant would say, "Half a...."

Sorry, family friendly forum.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
#gosaintas
Club Player

I reckon Siposs is better than Goddard was at this stage of his career. How do you find the stats on that? Maybe it was because the expectations were so high on Goddard that my memory of his early years is wrong but I recall him looking pretty ordinary for a few years...he certainly blossomed though, lets hope Siposs does too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I reckon Siposs is better than Goddard was at this stage of his career. How do you find the stats on that? Maybe it was because the expectations were so high on Goddard that my memory of his early years is wrong but I recall him looking pretty ordinary for a few years...he certainly blossomed though, lets hope Siposs does too.

I haven't got stats but I remember he was s*** for a couple of years and looked like he should have gone a lot later than number 1.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Missed the game so I go to afl.com to watch the replay. Less than 8 mins into the last quarter it cuts to some technicians chatting about tech issues whilst showing collingwood doing very early prematch kickabouts - for the rest of the entire feed?
Unbelievable! When it comes to the new medium the AFL continue to employ/contract complete idiots.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re Goddard - I remember (if you trust memories) he always looked like a champ in the making, but was annoyingly soft. Like Gram, only he hardened up eventually.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I reckon Siposs is better than Goddard was at this stage of his career. How do you find the stats on that? Maybe it was because the expectations were so high on Goddard that my memory of his early years is wrong but I recall him looking pretty ordinary for a few years...he certainly blossomed though, lets hope Siposs does too.

Siposs averages 11 possesions per game and nearly a goal a game, BJ averaged 13 possesions per game and nearly half a goal a game in his first year when he played 18 games which made him a big younger than Siposs after 2 years.

Similar stats but that doesnt mean much at this stage. Mark McGough probably had them both covered. Its how Siposs improves.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Re Goddard - I remember (if you trust memories) he always looked like a champ in the making, but was annoyingly soft. Like Gram, only he hardened up eventually.
You must have seen more in him than I did. I thought he was a dud. I thought Blake wouldn't play more than 50 games though too.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Something I learnt a couple of years ago is that I have to watch the Saints game in replay, before I can get a balanced view on the team or players output. In my case the passion, game results and some pre conceived views on players has biaised my review when posting shortly after the game.

I wonder if this is the case on some peoples views on the players we had out there on Saturday, as for me they are an exciting group of kids coming thru!

Seb Ross improved markedly from his previous game. He has the ability to get first hands to the ball and uses it well. When he develops the required AFL endurance fitness he will be a good player. He is reasonably quick at full pace, but his movement between contests does look slow, as he is another with a different running style.

Nathan Wright is the first ready to play 18 y/o we have recruited in sometime! He has speed, poise and courage which will see him turn into a very very solid player for this team.

Jackson Ferguson showed enough to suggest he will make a solid defender. Another years development into his strength and he will be pushing for a full time gig.

Tom Ledger I cant believe people are so down on this kid. IMO he is attacks the ball as hard as anyone on our list and has great clearance work. He also needs to keep working on his endurance but IMO he will make a solid midfielder in the mould of Tony Francis.

Aaron SIPPOSS IMO will be a better player than Goddard if he is not aleady. Definitely is a lot more capable of winning his own ball.

Jack Newnes will be captain of this team in the not too distant future. The guy has leadership and quality written all over him. In time he will be an A grade midfielder leading from the front.

Rhys Stanley will make a great CHB and if he can have some luck with injuries will be the difference in us playing finals or not in 2013.

Beau Maister is the real deal at full forward but the club needs to be mindful of his workload !

Tom Hickey is a good back up ruckman and in time will show that he can also contribute up forward.

Sam Dunnell was for me a bit disappointing in that game. Yes he did kick 2 goals but didnt look to have the desire of the some of the players around him.

Ben McEvoy does look better when he doesn't hav to do all the ruck work. If he can play the Kosi role when resting up forward - he and Hickey will be a great combination.

No need for all the gloom Sainters our future is as bright now as it has been in sometime! Lets just hope we dont peak at the same time as GWS & GCS do !
good read wo....not sure aaron is that good yet...apart from that well done.....reading some of the reports on here you could be forgiven for thinking that last years premiers had whipped our arses.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.