AS forgotten

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

AS forgotten

Not much said about Adam Schneider - still only 28 - quality & class - will he not be ready to fire after virtually a year off ??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: AS forgotten

saint6709 wrote:Not much said about Adam Schneider - still only 28 - quality & class - will he not be ready to fire after virtually a year off ??
I rate him, but not playing much at this time of year isn't a great sign for the quality of his preseason. Injured a lot the last year or so, hopefully he gets back to his best.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

when has he ever fired?

Has had one purple patch of about 5 incredible games in late 2010 I think (or maybe 09)... other than that has been a largely average player

does 1 or 2 things a game that make ppl ooo'h and aaaahhh over his immense talent and does little else.

The game Vs Nth last year as an example. Tremondous first 1/4 when we were on top... nothing for the last 3/4. Raph Clarke on the other hand presented again and again and did all the hard things whilst under siege only to be remembered for his major run down.

He was dumped then axed whilst, Donuts Schneider lives to do bugger all another day.

Easy not to make mistakes when you don't touch the footy much

Adam is one player that gets marked way too leniently around here

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You're a very tough task master Skeptic. Raph and Schneids play very different roles. Wasn't a great game that night for another player either who is no longer with us and he didn't actually cover himself in glory that night. It was a line in the sand game for norf and we were clearly not up to the challenge. I wouldn't blame Schneider solely for that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The importance of Adam Schneider in the Ross Lyon game plan was that in his hands the ball was in effective transition and as a result a high percentage of his possessions were score involvements on the score sheet even if he wasn't kicking bags like Milney.

It is no coincidence that we struggled to score in 2011 with him injured.

I for one hope that he recovers and can spend some time either back, in the midfield or forward as an effective distributor.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:when has he ever fired?

Has had one purple patch of about 5 incredible games in late 2010 I think (or maybe 09)... other than that has been a largely average player

does 1 or 2 things a game that make ppl ooo'h and aaaahhh over his immense talent and does little else.

The game Vs Nth last year as an example. Tremondous first 1/4 when we were on top... nothing for the last 3/4. Raph Clarke on the other hand presented again and again and did all the hard things whilst under siege only to be remembered for his major run down.

He was dumped then axed whilst, Donuts Schneider lives to do bugger all another day.

Easy not to make mistakes when you don't touch the footy much

Adam is one player that gets marked way too leniently around here
I love the way you keep bringing up one game as an example of why Scneids is so terrible… of course he looks better when we are on top - he's a small forward, just like Milne doesn't see much of the ball if we aren't winning clearances and entering the forward 50 as was the case against north where in fact I don't think we had a single winner on the ground, did we? Easy to point to the small fat bloke to blame isn't it?

So Raph the gun was dumped, and donuts schneider axed hey? They average about the same amount of possies per match, only one guy makes nearly every single one count, while the other was usually so frazzled that he often turned it over. Completely different players… enigmatic is about all they have in common.

At any rate, I think it will be make or break for him this year… can't get away consecutive injury riddled years at his age… particularly with the amount of small forwards we have.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Play him as a defensive "distributor", I say. He and Siposs replace Gram and greedard. What do you all reckon? It will extend the schneiderman's career as well.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Play him as a defensive "distributor", I say. He and Siposs replace Gram and greedard. What do you all reckon? It will extend the schneiderman's career as well.
Sounds good in theory but is the Schnneiderman up to it? He needs to re invent himself in some way though which means he will need to push himself a bit harder than in the past if is to play a different role so maybe Sceptic does have a point. I do recall Scotty questioning his position and putting a challenge out to him towards the end of the year.

It wasn't that long ago when people were asking if there was enough room for both Milney and Schneids in the same team.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Play him as a defensive "distributor", I say. He and Siposs replace Gram and greedard. What do you all reckon? It will extend the schneiderman's career as well.
Sounds good in theory but is the Schnneiderman up to it? He needs to re invent himself in some way though which means he will need to push himself a bit harder than in the past if is to play a different role so maybe Sceptic does have a point. I do recall Scotty questioning his position and putting a challenge out to him towards the end of the year.

It wasn't that long ago when people were asking if there was enough room for both Milney and Schneids in the same team.
I like the idea too but I just doubt he has the tank... Particularly after a year out injured then he missed this pre-season in a moon boot.

I can imagine him coming on as a sub quite a bit again this year, precision kicking in the 2nd half when the rest are tiring could be even more useful than a speedy sub coming on?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Not much said about Adam Schneider - still only 28 - quality & class - will he not be ready to fire after virtually a year off ??
might struggle in Grand Finals, although unproven at Sandy in September...could be a bonus for them

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Haven't forgotten him.

Just reckon he'll be one that footy catches up with too early.

Think he's had one preseason in his entire career without surgery, and that was his best year for us.

Wouldn't surprise me if he retired by 30.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Haven't forgotten him.

Just reckon he'll be one that footy catches up with too early.

Think he's had one preseason in his entire career without surgery, and that was his best year for us.

Wouldn't surprise me if he retired by 30.
Spot on.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he's too short, not good enough overhead and has never really shown a defensive side. That quarterback spot can't get away with zero defensive duties, unfortunately.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Has he the tank for the midfield?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: I love the way you keep bringing up one game as an example of why Scneids is so terrible… of course he looks better when we are on top - he's a small forward, just like Milne doesn't see much of the ball if we aren't winning clearances and entering the forward 50 as was the case against north where in fact I don't think we had a single winner on the ground, did we? Easy to point to the small fat bloke to blame isn't it?

So Raph the gun was dumped, and donuts schneider axed hey? They average about the same amount of possies per match, only one guy makes nearly every single one count, while the other was usually so frazzled that he often turned it over. Completely different players… enigmatic is about all they have in common.

At any rate, I think it will be make or break for him this year… can't get away consecutive injury riddled years at his age… particularly with the amount of small forwards we have.

Fair point in that this isn't Raph Vs Adam but with regards to Milne... Stephen at least plays good games

How many actual good games did Adam play last year... I don't really remember many. I remember the 3 shots he missed in sydney, I remember 2 average grandfinals... like I said, minus one purple patch he's been a largely ineffective season.

This guy is one of the higher paid players at the club I imagine... he's meant to be one of our best... even if inconsistent. I'd rather have Saad and Milera in the team

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

in addition to that, Milney has evolved into a player that often performs or sparks when the team is under pressure and helps turn it around.

I pick on Adam for that particular game Vs North because on here is was regularly listed as amongst our best when he was actually closer to the worst

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it could be Snides last year unless he can turn it on maybe even take up a new role of the half back line. We are over supplied with small forwards this year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's a match winner at his best so he gets away with being a little lazy at times.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
I reckon he's too short, not good enough overhead and has never really shown a defensive side. That quarterback spot can't get away with zero defensive duties, unfortunately.
I rate him as at least equal to Guerra, who has performed the role admirably at the dorks. Siposs as the quarterback, Schneider as a designated kicker.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Quality player

SW rates him very highly

As do I

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He's an immensly talented player...

surely you wouldn't say he's played near his potential over the last 3 seasons Mart?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:He's an immensly talented player...

surely you wouldn't say he's played near his potential over the last 3 seasons Mart?
Last year he played eight games and was injured for the rest of the time, so I think you have to ignore that. Not many players do well with such a choppy run.

The two years before that, 2010 and 2011, he kicked 39.19 and 30.11 respectively, and had his two highest seasons in terms of disposals per game averaging over 17. In 2010 he led the competition for goal assists with 30, though that dropped off in 2011 to 18. The only stat that was better in 2009 was his tackle numbers.

Ignoring stats for a minute, he was better in 2010 than 2009 (especially in GFs) but dropped off in 2011 as the rest of the team did. No doubt he'd be disappointed with his 2012 because he just didn't get on the park enough to find touch, but you can't blame him for that.

You're going way too early on bagging him. If he has a poor 2013 then your statements will be justified, but until then you're wrong.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lets just wait and see how the guy goes in 2013 before we prepare his AFL career funeral pyre.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
sainter#4
Club Player

The bloke last year missed the first 10 games? or there abouts.

He is important to any success we have, and this year i see him off a wing.

He doesnt need it 20+ times, if he goes back to his 10' averages of 17 then 85% of those will be quality disposals.

People are so quick around here to stick the boot into players that they forget how good some are.

even in 11' schneids played some good games - off the top of my head freo in perth i think he kicked 5 as we steam rolled them and west coast in melbourne he played a blinder aswell.

Very very important to us, the perfect link man from the centre, forward when we build our attacks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If fit

He will walk into best 22

He is a proven class player at AFL level.... They do not grow on trees, and we probably don't even have 15 at Seaford right now,