Winmar delisted? strategy from here

SuperDuper

Winmar delisted? strategy from here

Ok, it seems Winmar is gone

Assuming the remaining senior guys are safe.... what is the strategy from here..

IMO, delist one more rookie (Staley/Shenton)
Rookie/draft one state league FB (Hartoigan, Frost, Tippet, Noones .. look long and hard and grab whoever is best) plus roberton

really, who do you rather, Staley who is 19 and a long way from AFL standard, possibly will never make it.. Shenton who is 22 and shown a bit but has never pushed his name as chance for senior selection.... or Roberton who at 21 has played 37 games already mostly as a 18/19/20 year old..?
Seems a no brainer... all would need to develop but Roberton is miles ahead and more likely to end up a quality AFL player IMO

also... get the spies out on Gartlett!!
just in case he pulls his finger out of his ass
Last edited by SuperDuper on Sat 24 Nov 2012 10:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Winmar delisted? strategy from here

Is that official?

haven't heard that one...

Has he been told?

kosifantutti wrote:Has he been told?
Last night apparently.

8856brother wrote:
Last night apparently.
it's not reported anywhere, not even the Saints website

PLUGGER14

bobmurray wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Last night apparently.
it's not reported anywhere, not even the Saints website
Webmaster has the weekend off? Or more likely wont happen till paperwork lodged with AFL.

saintgee

Apparently Winmar has indeed been "released from his contract". Not great timing for Nick, it gives him no opportunity to participate in the national draft, which has been & gone,should he have wanted to.
In the interests of the player,he should have been let go at the end of the season,so he could assess his options.

saintgee wrote:Apparently Winmar has indeed been "released from his contract". Not great timing for Nick, it gives him no opportunity to participate in the national draft, which has been & gone,should he have wanted to.
In the interests of the player,he should have been let go at the end of the season,so he could assess his options.
very true

Well no great surprise I guess, nice guy but it takes more than that to play footy. I think Jayden Post was a bit like that, good bloke but lacked killer competitiveness. Both are the types that go on to lesser comps and enjoy their footy with mates and dominate to a degree they couldn't in the VFL/AFL environment. Good luck Nick thanks for your efforts mate.

My guess is they will look at Roberton as a replacement for Winmar

Zed wrote:My guess is they will look at Roberton as a replacement for Winmar

I hope they are still looking at guys like Justin Hardy, Tippet junior and Jesse Wells that are ready made FBs. Even an elite kid that missed the cut like Colquhoun or Rodda. If Roberton is the next best option all good.

So why now??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've put the time and effort into Cuz. He has the height, skills, now finally the body size to compete with the big boys. 2013 was shaping as the season for Nick to start to show something.

What happened to Cuddles tough love vow to flog him till he cried?

Maybe that (reported) lack-lustre time trial had something to do with the decision???
Maybe Nick had an inkling of the pending decision and that contributed to his time trial performance???

Given the above, I find the timing very, very strange(?) Something's happened. Love to know what. :?

Come on all you Saintsationalists with contacts...

PS: Maybe a season or two in the WAFL, then push for another AFL crack if you wish? Plenty of blokes for you to look to who have successfully followed that path... whatever you decide, best wishes for your future Cuz, and I really hope that you enjoyed your time/experiences at St Kilda.

Some people have suggested cutting Staley or Shenton.

But if true, Winmar's delisting opens up a spot on the senior list. Does this suggest Saints have a FB in mind for the upcoming PSD? I mean it's not much point getting one and finding out he's pretty good only to have him languishing at Sandy waiting for a LTI to occur.

My guess is

it's been reported on here that Watters was going to force Winmar to work the hardest he ever has to get him up to the standard he needs to be.

GT tried this apporach with Cayden Beetham. Cayden quit. IMO Winmar pbly demonstrated that he wasn't willing to work hard enough - most likely wasn't doing the things he was meant to when on his own. Hence they cut him.

Post the draft won't make any difference. Nobody will touch him

Dr Spaceman wrote:Some people have suggested cutting Staley or Shenton.

But if true, Winmar's delisting opens up a spot on the senior list. Does this suggest Saints have a FB in mind for the upcoming PSD? I mean it's not much point getting one and finding out he's pretty good only to have him languishing at Sandy waiting for a LTI to occur.

It probably means one of the mature key position players are on our radar or even Rodda as a long term replacement and make do now. There is little risk involved as there are at least 5 or 6 really decent players that went through without clubs. Even if Garlett doesn't get as far as the saints there is Colquhoun, rodda and whole lot of decent mature age KPP options.

my money would be on a big KPP that is early to mid 20s.

It probably means one of the mature key position players are on our radar or even Rodda as a long term replacement and make do now. There is little risk involved as there are at least 5 or 6 really decent players that went through without clubs. Even if Garlett doesn't get as far as the saints there is Colquhoun, rodda and whole lot of decent mature age KPP options.

my money would be on a big KPP that is early to mid 20s.
my moneys on cockie. honoring a pre existing agreement

Dave McNamara wrote:So why now???
Lewis Pierce? Pierce seems to think it was Elshaug arguing his case during the extra time. Scotty seemed to be doing a lot of talking as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a mature KPD lined up, but opted for Pierce with the knowledge their player would likely be available at the PSD.

or cockies agreement with watters

StGoddard18

defacto wrote:
or cockies agreement with watters
Is there any way we can get footage of that?

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18

We might get a hint of what will hapen if there is an "Extra" on the plane to Colorado on Tuesday !!

Makes a lot of sense what you are saying "vacuous space" I think you are right on the money. I trust the player they have in mind will be there at the PSD (let's hope he is a tall defender).

Having said that I believe the club pulled the right string taking Pierce when they did - will be interesting to watch him develop. Of the other recruits the only one whom worries me is Wright, he has a terrible kicking action - his other qualities must be exceptional as his kicking is very questionable?

WinnersOnly wrote:
Makes a lot of sense what you are saying "vacuous space" I think you are right on the money. I trust the player they have in mind will be there at the PSD (let's hope he is a tall defender).

Having said that I believe the club pulled the right string taking Pierce when they did - will be interesting to watch him develop. Of the other recruits the only one whom worries me is Wright, he has a terrible kicking action - his other qualities must be exceptional as his kicking is very questionable?
From what I read his kicking 'weaknesses' is blown out of proportion. Apparently, its something that can be relatively easily addressed/improved, and he also has good penetration.....And his other qualities such as competitiveness, pace, ball wining are supposed to be very good.

From what I read his kicking 'weaknesses' is blown out of proportion. Apparently, its something that can be relatively easily addressed/improved, and he also has
[/img]

GOOD PENETRATION?
might come in handy if he goes to parties at Gram's house!

Uncle Barrels

Amen. Why bother drafting a mature-bodied KPD if they have to negotiate the Rookie List hurdles to play? Bring on Jesse Wells!