Winmar delisted? strategy from here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Winmar delisted? strategy from here

Ok, it seems Winmar is gone

Assuming the remaining senior guys are safe.... what is the strategy from here..

IMO, delist one more rookie (Staley/Shenton)
Rookie/draft one state league FB (Hartoigan, Frost, Tippet, Noones .. look long and hard and grab whoever is best) plus roberton

really, who do you rather, Staley who is 19 and a long way from AFL standard, possibly will never make it.. Shenton who is 22 and shown a bit but has never pushed his name as chance for senior selection.... or Roberton who at 21 has played 37 games already mostly as a 18/19/20 year old..?
Seems a no brainer... all would need to develop but Roberton is miles ahead and more likely to end up a quality AFL player IMO

also... get the spies out on Gartlett!!
just in case he pulls his finger out of his ass
Last edited by SuperDuper on Sat 24 Nov 2012 10:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: Winmar delisted? strategy from here

Is that official?

I love this club
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

haven't heard that one...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Has he been told?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Has he been told?
Last night apparently.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Last night apparently.
it's not reported anywhere, not even the Saints website

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Last night apparently.
it's not reported anywhere, not even the Saints website
Webmaster has the weekend off? Or more likely wont happen till paperwork lodged with AFL.

saintgee
Club Player

Apparently Winmar has indeed been "released from his contract". Not great timing for Nick, it gives him no opportunity to participate in the national draft, which has been & gone,should he have wanted to.
In the interests of the player,he should have been let go at the end of the season,so he could assess his options.

defacto
Club Player

saintgee wrote:Apparently Winmar has indeed been "released from his contract". Not great timing for Nick, it gives him no opportunity to participate in the national draft, which has been & gone,should he have wanted to.
In the interests of the player,he should have been let go at the end of the season,so he could assess his options.
very true

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Well no great surprise I guess, nice guy but it takes more than that to play footy. I think Jayden Post was a bit like that, good bloke but lacked killer competitiveness. Both are the types that go on to lesser comps and enjoy their footy with mates and dominate to a degree they couldn't in the VFL/AFL environment. Good luck Nick thanks for your efforts mate.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

My guess is they will look at Roberton as a replacement for Winmar

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:My guess is they will look at Roberton as a replacement for Winmar

I hope they are still looking at guys like Justin Hardy, Tippet junior and Jesse Wells that are ready made FBs. Even an elite kid that missed the cut like Colquhoun or Rodda. If Roberton is the next best option all good.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

So why now??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've put the time and effort into Cuz. He has the height, skills, now finally the body size to compete with the big boys. 2013 was shaping as the season for Nick to start to show something.

What happened to Cuddles tough love vow to flog him till he cried?

Maybe that (reported) lack-lustre time trial had something to do with the decision???
Maybe Nick had an inkling of the pending decision and that contributed to his time trial performance???

Given the above, I find the timing very, very strange(?) Something's happened. Love to know what. :?

Come on all you Saintsationalists with contacts...

PS: Maybe a season or two in the WAFL, then push for another AFL crack if you wish? Plenty of blokes for you to look to who have successfully followed that path... whatever you decide, best wishes for your future Cuz, and I really hope that you enjoyed your time/experiences at St Kilda.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Some people have suggested cutting Staley or Shenton.

But if true, Winmar's delisting opens up a spot on the senior list. Does this suggest Saints have a FB in mind for the upcoming PSD? I mean it's not much point getting one and finding out he's pretty good only to have him languishing at Sandy waiting for a LTI to occur.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My guess is

it's been reported on here that Watters was going to force Winmar to work the hardest he ever has to get him up to the standard he needs to be.

GT tried this apporach with Cayden Beetham. Cayden quit. IMO Winmar pbly demonstrated that he wasn't willing to work hard enough - most likely wasn't doing the things he was meant to when on his own. Hence they cut him.

Post the draft won't make any difference. Nobody will touch him

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Some people have suggested cutting Staley or Shenton.

But if true, Winmar's delisting opens up a spot on the senior list. Does this suggest Saints have a FB in mind for the upcoming PSD? I mean it's not much point getting one and finding out he's pretty good only to have him languishing at Sandy waiting for a LTI to occur.

It probably means one of the mature key position players are on our radar or even Rodda as a long term replacement and make do now. There is little risk involved as there are at least 5 or 6 really decent players that went through without clubs. Even if Garlett doesn't get as far as the saints there is Colquhoun, rodda and whole lot of decent mature age KPP options.

my money would be on a big KPP that is early to mid 20s.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:

It probably means one of the mature key position players are on our radar or even Rodda as a long term replacement and make do now. There is little risk involved as there are at least 5 or 6 really decent players that went through without clubs. Even if Garlett doesn't get as far as the saints there is Colquhoun, rodda and whole lot of decent mature age KPP options.

my money would be on a big KPP that is early to mid 20s.
my moneys on cockie. honoring a pre existing agreement

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:So why now???
Lewis Pierce? Pierce seems to think it was Elshaug arguing his case during the extra time. Scotty seemed to be doing a lot of talking as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a mature KPD lined up, but opted for Pierce with the knowledge their player would likely be available at the PSD.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
defacto
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Lewis Pierce? Pierce seems to think it was Elshaug arguing his case during the extra time. Scotty seemed to be doing a lot of talking as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a mature KPD lined up, but opted for Pierce with the knowledge their player would likely be available at the PSD.
or cockies agreement with watters

StGoddard18
Club Player

defacto wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
or cockies agreement with watters
Is there any way we can get footage of that?

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We might get a hint of what will hapen if there is an "Extra" on the plane to Colorado on Tuesday !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
Makes a lot of sense what you are saying "vacuous space" I think you are right on the money. I trust the player they have in mind will be there at the PSD (let's hope he is a tall defender).

Having said that I believe the club pulled the right string taking Pierce when they did - will be interesting to watch him develop. Of the other recruits the only one whom worries me is Wright, he has a terrible kicking action - his other qualities must be exceptional as his kicking is very questionable?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
kaos theory
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Makes a lot of sense what you are saying "vacuous space" I think you are right on the money. I trust the player they have in mind will be there at the PSD (let's hope he is a tall defender).

Having said that I believe the club pulled the right string taking Pierce when they did - will be interesting to watch him develop. Of the other recruits the only one whom worries me is Wright, he has a terrible kicking action - his other qualities must be exceptional as his kicking is very questionable?
From what I read his kicking 'weaknesses' is blown out of proportion. Apparently, its something that can be relatively easily addressed/improved, and he also has good penetration.....And his other qualities such as competitiveness, pace, ball wining are supposed to be very good.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

From what I read his kicking 'weaknesses' is blown out of proportion. Apparently, its something that can be relatively easily addressed/improved, and he also has
[/img]

GOOD PENETRATION?
might come in handy if he goes to parties at Gram's house!

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Amen. Why bother drafting a mature-bodied KPD if they have to negotiate the Rookie List hurdles to play? Bring on Jesse Wells!