Draft 2012. Pass or Fail? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Draft 2012. Pass or Fail? !!

I think I'll wait until about 3/4 of the way through the 2015 season before I pass judgement on how we drafted in 2012 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft 2012. Pass or Fail? !!

Eastern wrote:I think I'll wait until about 3/4 of the way through the 2015 season before I pass judgement on how we drafted in 2012 !!
At the start of that season we'll probably be tearing apart the 2011 drafted players....Spuds and List Cloggers are terms we might be reading if those dudes haven't cut it by then...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

On the drafted players - yes mid to late 2015 an opinion can be made.

As for the trades - need to see plenty by the end of 2013!

andrewg
Club Player

Pass, you have to add Hickey and Lee to the other boys we got and they look great! Especially White, wow talk about x factor

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

This is the strangest thread title and first post I've ever seen. Its like you asked yourself a question then answered it by saying its too early to tell so I cant answer the question. :lol:

For me, not the players I wanted, but not disappointed either. We got noone from Richmond, so that can only be a good thing. We could have gotten our next premiership FF, CHF, Ruckman and midfield captain in this batch. Yes, :wink: I'm going early on Josh Saunders but you heard it here first!! :wink:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Final list changes from 2012-2013 (barring any more de-listings). An improvement or a step backwards:

OUT:
Goddard
Gram
Cripps
Raph
Peake
Polo
Crocker
Archer

IN:
Lee
Hickey
Wright
White
LRT
Murdoch
Saunders
Pierce

8 players turned over seems to be a large amount. Above average I'm guessing?

So is the talent we've brought in going to be better than the talent we let go? BJ will leave a glaring hole (across HB), but I think we'll be better served with a 2nd quality ruck and emerging gun forward than with a gun HBF. No idea what the others are like, but here's hoping that they're better than Raph, Cripps, Peake, Polo et al!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Final list changes from 2012-2013 (barring any more de-listings). An improvement or a step backwards:

OUT:
Goddard
Gram
Cripps
Raph
Peake
Polo
Crocker
Archer

IN:
Lee
Hickey
Wright
White
LRT
Murdoch
Saunders
Pierce

So is the talent we've brought in going to be better than the talent we let go? BJ will leave a glaring hole (across HB), but I think we'll be better served with a 2nd quality ruck and emerging gun forward than with a gun HBF. No idea what the others are like, but here's hoping that they're better than Raph, Cripps, Peake, Polo et al!
LRT ?? - He can play full back then. Problem solved. :lol:

Club Player

LRT, TDL, they both sound like sandwiches to me....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Final list changes from 2012-2013 (barring any more de-listings). An improvement or a step backwards:

OUT:
Goddard
Gram
Cripps
Raph
Peake
Polo
Crocker
Archer

IN:
Lee
Hickey
Wright
White
LRT
Murdoch
Saunders
Pierce

So is the talent we've brought in going to be better than the talent we let go?
In 2013, maybe not.

But we are really setting ourselves to have a decent team for 2014 and beyond.

..........and we are certainly setting ourselves up to have a very quick team!!!!!

What about a forward line of:

Saad Lee Markworth
White Stanley Milera

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:This is the strangest thread title and first post I've ever seen. Its like you asked yourself a question then answered it by saying its too early to tell so I cant answer the question. :lol:

For me, not the players I wanted, but not disappointed either. We got noone from Richmond, so that can only be a good thing. We could have gotten our next premiership FF, CHF, Ruckman and midfield captain in this batch. Yes, :wink: I'm going early on Josh Saunders but you heard it here first!! :wink:
Inviting opinion and giving mine. I can't help it if you struggle with that concept !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Gees it's hard to give them a pass when the club still has a complete lack of tall defenders...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:LRT, TDL, they both sound like sandwiches to me....
Mmmmmm Bacon. :D

Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Gees it's hard to give them a pass when the club still has a complete lack of tall defenders...
We have so many tall forwards on the list now it may be a case of the guys who can't kick straight get sent back into defence.

That means Yipsy Riewoldt will be playing full back and Stanley centre half back.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:LRT, TDL, they both sound like sandwiches to me....
Just ignore the hyphen.
It is time to ignore this stupidity.

My sister never took her husband's surname but she had the intelligence not to lumber her son with a hyphen.
Smart woman my sister.

Meanwhile my brother had a daughter out of wedlock, the parents lumbered her with a hyphen.
She grew up with her mother and has dumped the father's part of the surname and the hyphen.
Smart woman my niece.

Imagine if a Roberts-Thomson and a Dennis-Lane were to have a child would the poor sod be a Roberts-Thomson-Dennis-Lane.
As far as I am concerned the new comers name is Trent Lane.
Which ever Dennis is, male or female, they are a menace.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Just ignore the hyphen.

My sister never took her husband's surname but she had the intelligence not to lumber her son with a hyphen.
Smart woman my sister.

Meanwhile my brother had a daughter out of wedlock, the parents lumbered her with a hyphen.
She grew up with her mother and has dumped the father's part of the surname and the hyphen.
Smart woman my niece.

Imagine if a Roberts-Thomson and a Dennis-Lane were to have a child would the poor sod be a Roberts-Thomson-Dennis-Lane.
If it's OK with you, I'll just pay him the respect of calling him by his name.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
peter lockwood
Club Player

i definately would give it a pass,but would love too see 2 more delistings!!then be able to draft both Robertson and either a Tippet or Hartigan!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Gees it's hard to give them a pass when the club still has a complete lack of tall defenders...
We have so many tall forwards on the list now it may be a case of the guys who can't kick straight get sent back into defence.

That means Yipsy Riewoldt will be playing full back and Stanley centre half back.
Thats Mr five time best and fairest captain Riewoldt to you sport

Mind your manners

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dragit
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Just ignore the hyphen.

Smart woman my sister.

Smart woman my niece.

I'm with you Ace, hyphenated surnames are one of my pet hates, how short-sighted is it?

People can't decide so they lump their child with both???

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't agree with grading drafts. Inevitably the teams that grab the best known names get the best marks. Melbourne got straight As for their 2009 draft, but it hasn't worked out that way for them. Grundy looks like a steal right now for the Pies, but there may be concerns we don't know about that cause him to slip. Either way, I think it's up to the kids and the clubs that picked them to determine what the grade will be.

We didn't have early picks, so that's going to hurt our grade. Wright looks to be a safe pick and White a bolter. Murdoch, Saunders and Pierce look like speculative picks. Any one of them could make it, but none of them stand out as likely. None of the 5 appear destined for stardom. None of them tore up the U18 championships. They're all very athletic, although White tested poorly in endurance tests. I doubt we'll be getting too many top marks from draft publications. It's a pretty dull draft. Only WHite is particularly interesting. That doesn't mean it's wrong.

I also like hyphen names.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The last two drafts have seen us magnify the number of effective picks we have had earlyish, including trades.

This has seen the club in a very short space of time largely rectify our age imbalance.

However all that will count for naught unless some of our trades/drafts become stars Not all, but at least some.

Overall we are now more skilled, and are quicker.....but are we better? Time will tell. But at least you can see a clear strategy in pace.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....