Where is our future tall back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is our future tall back?

The club had many areas of weakness, especially with the aging list. Can't fix them all at once. But we're heading in the right direction.

Midfielders - tick
Goal kickers - tick
Speed - tick
Ruckmen - tick
Lack of height in general - tick

In regards to those FBs everyone's talking about it's unlikely any 18 year old would have helped us much, if at all, in 2013. And who knows what the club has planned for 12 months time? Free Agency is now in and with space to move its possible we already have a plan to get a very good FB for 2014 and beyond. And if that's the case, we don't need a kid.

At the end of the day none of us know very much at all. We can be pessimistic, or cynical. Or we can have Faith and Trust. 

I'll go with the latter.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Don't think we need one to be honest. Well we need one, but a quality one isn't available so better off without.
That's what they said last year though...

How can you go two entire seasons without one?

It's odd.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Not that impressed that we enter a second season without one.

I realise this is a development phase, but wouldn't it do well for kids to develop in a side that is properly structured?

Can't get my head around this one.
Two of the best fullbacks we've ever had came to us as forwards, and one won a Brownlow at fullback. Anyone heard of Verdun Howell or Bob Murray?
Well then that settles it.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:We can be pessimistic, or cynical.
Great, thanks Doc....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Exactly what is the plan WRT our full back in 2014

I haven't heard about it??

70s sainter
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:The club had many areas of weakness, especially with the aging list. Can't fix them all at once. But we're heading in the right direction.

Midfielders - tick
Goal kickers - tick
Speed - tick
Ruckmen - tick

In regards to those FBs everyone's talking about it's unlikely any 18 year old would have helped us much, if at all, in 2013. And who knows what the club has planned for 12 months time? Free Agency is now in and with space to move its possible we already have a plan to get a very good FB for 2014 and beyond. And if that's the case, we don't need a kid.

At the end of the day none of us know very much at all. We can be pessimistic, or cynical. Or we can have Faith and Trust. 

I'll go with the latter.
Midfielders - tick?
In three years time how far are we going to go with midfielders consisting of Armatige, Steven ,Milera, Ross in his first senior year and say Saunders in his first senior year?
Next year might be time we go the other way and convert two picks to one higher pick for a classy mid.

AP Erebus
Club Player

footynut wrote:Everyone appart from saints officals realise that we have NO full back and now future full back.
This is a stupid statement considering all you have heard from Watters and co is that they are looking for a key back.

You can't fix all the issues in one go. Maybe the good key backs got taken before us in the draft (I haven't seem the previous picks to ours). Maybe there is no good state league players who they think can make the transition. They are on the right track, but geez, you can't expect them to fix all the apparent issues in one go.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

I realise this is a development phase, but wouldn't it do well for kids to develop in a side that is properly structured?

Two of the best fullbacks we've ever had came to us as forwards, and one won a Brownlow at fullback. Anyone heard of Verdun Howell or Bob Murray?
I've heard of at least one of them...... :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

70s sainter wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:The club had many areas of weakness, especially with the aging list. Can't fix them all at once. But we're heading in the right direction.

Midfielders - tick
Goal kickers - tick
Speed - tick
Ruckmen - tick

I'll go with the latter.
Midfielders - tick?
In three years time how far are we going to go with midfielders consisting of Armatige, Steven ,Milera, Ross in his first senior year and say Saunders in his first senior year?
Next year might be time we go the other way and convert two picks to one higher pick for a classy mid.
I agree wholeheartedly but think that they know that in two and three years time our first pick will be in the 1-5 range.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:

Midfielders - tick
Goal kickers - tick
Speed - tick
Ruckmen - tick

I'll go with the latter.
Midfielders - tick?
The ticks relate to doing something about the problem, not neccessarily fully sorting it out.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:
Great, thanks Doc....
I agree with your incredulous irony sainterk
I doubt either of those two will be any help to Fisher, Dempster & Blake next year
I hear they are 70kgs dripping wet and not even close to 190cm

Seeya
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I realise this is a development phase, but wouldn't it do well for kids to develop in a side that is properly structured?

It'll be properly structured still if JB is playing at full-back, he just isn't big enough to really hold it down.

I agree it's a little confusing, but maybe the Watters plan is to win shoot-outs? Put all the eggs in the attacking basket and try to kick 20 goals, that wins most games.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Great, thanks Doc....
I agree with your incredulous irony sainterk
I doubt either of those two will be any help to Fisher, Dempster & Blake next year
I hear they are 70kgs dripping wet and not even close to 190cm
Agree re pessimistic, however cynical is 195cm and 98kgs and has played on gorilla forwards.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Midfielders - tick?
Mids develop faster than that, if they're any good - Newnes played seven games in his first year. In three years time any of these players could easily be playing in the midfield:

Armitage, Steven, Gilbert, Ross, Ray, Ledger, Newnes, Dunell, Curren, Milera, Markworth, Siposs, Webster, Winmar, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders

That's 17 players, a few of which are already decent. I reckon we'll have plenty of OK options but the problem will be if we don't have some true A-grade players of the standard of Lenny, Dal and Joey. A minimum of two of these guys listed here need to get to that level for us to have any chance in the next five years. Zero idea of how likely that is.

ace
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:Everyone appart from saints officals realise that we have NO full back and now future full back. Where to from now? Is there still a potential star full back avaliable to be picked up in the Rookie draft or the preseaon draft?
At this point in time we do not have any live picks in the pre season draft or rookie draft.

We have the maximum of 40 senior players and 4 normal rookies.
The only empty slots on St Kilda's list are for 2 special rookies and I have heard nothing about any Irish or International kid eligible.

If the club is going to make any more picks it first has to do some delistings for list lodgement no 3.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
70s sainter wrote:

Midfielders - tick
Goal kickers - tick
Speed - tick
Ruckmen - tick

I'll go with the latter.
I had faith and trust during the 70s and 80s then I realised that in football the atheists win.

Midfielders - tick?
The ticks relate to doing something about the problem, not neccessarily fully sorting it out.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Saintersss
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote: In regards to those FBs everyone's talking about it's unlikely any 18 year old would have helped us much, if at all, in 2013. And who knows what the club has planned for 12 months time? Free Agency is now in and with space to move its possible we already have a plan to get a very good FB for 2014 and beyond. And if that's the case, we don't need a kid.
Who said we had to draft an 18 year old FB, there were mature defenders going around. Plus can we have that attitude every year? Well, he won't help next year, so why draft him?

The fact is the club has stated for 2 years now that the team needs a FB and they have yet to get one. Not just the supporters saying we need a Full Back, but the coach and recruiting department, yet they haven't. It's disappointing to say the least.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Watched them play.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
footynut wrote:Everyone appart from saints officals realise that we have NO full back and now future full back. Where to from now? Is there still a potential star full back avaliable to be picked up in the Rookie draft or the preseaon draft?
At this point in time we do not have any live picks in the pre season draft or rookie draft.

We have the maximum of 40 senior players and 4 normal rookies.
The only empty slots on St Kilda's list are for 2 special rookies and I have heard nothing about any Irish or International kid eligible.

If the club is going to make any more picks it first has to do some delistings for list lodgement no 3.
Has Winmar been re-signed?

I'm hoping we ditch him - but only I guess if another FA comes available that is of value.

Now the draft is done, I think there is another used players FA period. That's why hardly any recycled players got drafted.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SuperDuper
Club Player

Maybe they also rate Ferguson and possibly Lever above those in the draft.. we actually do have 2 developing KPDs... no guarentee either will make it though and I would have liked a 3rd to improve our odds! But the point is, drafting a KPD from this draft is 4 years from getting us a senior player...

A good preseason, and Ferguson may be in the mix next year.. no doubt about it
And Lever is very tall and his prefence is to be a defender where he plays his best footy.... will be interesting to see how he developes as he fills out.. but certainly this year we would expect him to make some significant progress

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I simply cannot believe that the AFL Draft order wasn't rigged in our favour nor that all that available talent wasn't EXACTLY what we needed.

I'm devastated.

I'm going to tear up my membership.

I mean what's Westaway doing!???

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Most recycleds and matures end up in the preseason draft or as mature age rookies. I wouldn't mind finding the least probable rookie and making a spot for a KPB mature age player still. Shents, Staley, Michington etc have all shown a bit so Winmar might be in trouble if he can't perform in the preseason training.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:The fact is the club has stated for 2 years now that the team needs a FB and they have yet to get one. Not just the supporters saying we need a Full Back, but the coach and recruiting department, yet they haven't. It's disappointing to say the least.
Thank you for articulating it much better than I could...

+1

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Saintersss wrote:The fact is the club has stated for 2 years now that the team needs a FB and they have yet to get one. Not just the supporters saying we need a Full Back, but the coach and recruiting department, yet they haven't. It's disappointing to say the least.

+1
Maybe someone from the club (eg Watters or Pelchen) could make some comments to the supporters to indicate why a FB wasn't picked up last night. Maybe a few choice words might settle a few concerns.

Then again, if we are looking to do something in the PSD or Rookie Drafts then perhaps we don't want to telegraph our moves.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

+1
Maybe someone from the club (eg Watters or Pelchen) could make some comments to the supporters to indicate why a FB wasn't picked up last night. Maybe a few choice words might settle a few concerns.

Then again, if we are looking to do something in the PSD or Rookie Drafts then perhaps we don't want to telegraph our moves.
This is true, if they have plans to rookie someone who can play this position...I will withdraw my comments.

You understand though, that they are the ones that have continually over the last two years, highlighted this as a genuine hole in our list...sometimes even to justify losses.

So I can't understand why we'd go in with that kind of weakness again.