Our new talls = big positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our new talls = big positives

Adding Hickey and Lee to the list puts a rocket up the development of both Rhys and Macca. (a big +ve)

It also sends a clear message to Kosi- 'Dear Kosi - you will no longer be selected to play for this club purely on the basis that you are tall and we have noone else'.

I think the Geelong game in round 20 was the final straw for the Kos and for the footy management.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our new talls = big positives

Con Gorozidis wrote:Adding Hickey and Lee to the list puts a rocket up the development of both Rhys and Macca. (a big +ve)

It also sends a clear message to Kosi- 'Dear Kosi - you will no longer be selected to play for this club purely on the basis that you are tall and we have noone else'.

I think the Geelong game in round 20 was the final straw for the Kos and for the footy management.

It doesnt send any message at all until they prove they can play at AFL level.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree P66

I like that there will be depth...I like the concept that everyone will be in form at the same time fighting for the one spot...

Let's see how it pans out though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Adding Hickey and Lee to the list puts a rocket up the development of both Rhys and Macca. (a big +ve)

By using 2 high picks on these 2. The message is loud and clear.
You would have to be deaf harry not to hear it.
Even if they are rubbish the club has spoken and acted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

By using 2 high picks on these 2. The message is loud and clear.
You would have to be deaf harry not to hear it.
Even if they are rubbish the club has spoken and acted.

Unless they can play the only message it sends is we wasted 2 picks.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Hope you're right Con. Can't imagine how good it will be to have a gun rather than a liability at FF.

St.Kilda is littered with a history of gun full forwards, and Kosi is not one of them. Hoping Lee can be the best FF we've seen since at least the G-Train. If so, and if Hickey can hold down a ruck position, it's "thank you very much for your years of loyal service, Koz, but the time has come." He's had a good career, but perhaps his biggest curse was being drafted at no. 2 which placed a (somewhat) unfairly heavy burden of expectation on him.

For 5 weeks in 2005, he lived up to that expectation. For the rest of the time he's been a GOP. But for the last two years, he's just dropped of the face of the planet, unfortunately... 2nd half of 2012 was no where near AFL standard....

Also agree Con that Hickey and Lee will add to the development of Stanley and Macca....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:The message is loud and clear.
We like these guys enough to trade down 13 spots to get them. That's it.

I doubt we see either player in round one. Hickey's a project player who struggled against lesser ruckmen this year. Lee's still built like a teenager. If we're out of finals contention, we'll probably see more of these two. Until then, I'm guessing TDL kicks more goals than either of these two. Mac rucks every game if healthy. Rhys will play as long as his hammies will allow.

I still think Kosi will get first crack up forward.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

I doubt we see either player in round one. Hickey's a project player who struggled against lesser ruckmen this year. Lee's still built like a teenager. If we're out of finals contention, we'll probably see more of these two. Until then, I'm guessing TDL kicks more goals than either of these two. Mac rucks every game if healthy. Rhys will play as long as his hammies will allow.

Then why was he dropped for the last two when Roo wasn't available?

Hickey and Lee will get plenty of game time next year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

On what basis would Kosi deserve first crack up forward?

Certainly not on 2012 form when even Wilkes was more impressive.

We've used good draft picks on Lee and Hickey and they've already spent several years in the system. I'd expect to see them pressing for spots almost immediately.

Agree Con, the message couldn't be clearer.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:

we went down 13 picks but got 2 picks in the second round in both trades 4 picks in the second round in a draft with alot of players that are going to slip is not all that bad. We got one of the best devloping ruckmen and a down right great kid and a bloke that kicked 60 in the WAFL and 6 in the foxtel cup final and both are ready to play also to say tom lee has a teenagers body? well you show me a teenager 195 and 94 kgs other that nick rodda and that has averaged more than 50 goals for 2 seasons in a comp like the WAFL....

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
jimmy_slats
Club Player

also you could look at this phantom from the people that dedicate a show for the entire year to these potential draft picks and spend and watch as much time on them as most of the scouts out there... still we have to see how he goes next year but just because he is a little unknown dosen't mean he is going to be a flop!

http://www.supercoachhq.com/14/post/201 ... draft.html

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Kosi should get first crack as a forward and a forward only. Was in great form ealy on until he was forced to ruck.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Yaysaints
Club Player

What message did it send when kosi was given a new contract? Be a ff who kicks a goal a game that can't chase or a ruck that gets no hit outs and can't tackle or play the ball on the ground and get a new contract.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

jimmy_slats wrote:We got one of the best devloping ruckmen...
We got a project who has only been playing footy for a few years. He started four games - against Cam Wood, Jason Blake, David Hale and Matt Kreuzer. Not exactly the who's who of the best tap rucks. Hickey broke even with wood and got beaten by the other three. He was embarrassed by the last two. I notice that none of the people arguing he's coming straight in ever do so on the back of his play. It's always 'we gave up a lot to get him' and 'he's had time in the system'.

Whether he's literally built like a teenager or not isn't the point. Lee's a long term investment. He's clearly undersized at the moment. We could throw him out there against Daniel Merrett, Brian Lake and the like, but I don't think we will. I think we'll give him a development year to grow and learn and come in next year bigger and stronger and more ready. If we're out of finals contention he may get games at that point. Barring a sensational preseason, I think he starts at Sandy.

And Pav - Kosi gets the start because he's here. If we were done with him after the Geelong game, we could have axed him and moved on. He's still here; he probably starts.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Kosi gets the start because he's here. If we were done with him after the Geelong game, we could have axed him and moved on. He's still here; he probably starts.
I think Kosi being contracted has a fair bit to do with him still being there. I'm not convinced that he starts. I'd put both Lee and Wilkes ahead of him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Kosi gets the start because he's here. If we were done with him after the Geelong game, we could have axed him and moved on. He's still here; he probably starts.
I think Kosi being contracted has a fair bit to do with him still being there. I'm not convinced that he starts. I'd put both Lee and Wilkes ahead of him.
We havent seen Lee at all and has never really played in the AFL. As much as I think Kosi is in trouble he is still ahead of lee until at least we play some practice games.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: We havent seen Lee at all and has never really played in the AFL. As much as I think Kosi is in trouble he is still ahead of lee until at least we play some practice games.
Why, do you expect Kosi to have improved in the off season? To have found a yard? Stranger things have happened I guess, but I can't think of one.

The club obviously rates Lee highly to have used pick 12 on him and 60 goals against men in the WAFL says to me that, at 21, he is as ready as he will ever be.

I know you're not convinced that a mature aged WAFL recruit will be good enough. Personally, I'd throw him in at the deep end and find out. Wilkes is another who has claims on the full forward spot, too, so don't discount him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: We havent seen Lee at all and has never really played in the AFL. As much as I think Kosi is in trouble he is still ahead of lee until at least we play some practice games.
Why, do you expect Kosi to have improved in the off season? To have found a yard? Stranger things have happened I guess, but I can't think of one.

The club obviously rates Lee highly to have used pick 12 on him and 60 goals against men in the WAFL says to me that, at 21, he is as ready as he will ever be.

I know you're not convinced that a mature aged WAFL recruit will be good enough. Personally, I'd throw him in at the deep end and find out. Wilkes is another who has claims on the full forward spot, too, so don't discount him.

No I actually expect Kosi to be no better all but Lee could be worse than Gamble. Without seeing him in a game he cant be ahead of Kosi. I to hope he will be but he has 4 practice games to prove it. If he cant get a kick in them he cant play in round one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No I actually expect Kosi to be no better all but Lee could be worse than Gamble. Without seeing him in a game he cant be ahead of Kosi. I to hope he will be but he has 4 practice games to prove it. If he cant get a kick in them he cant play in round one.
It may not be Kosi that Lee needs to displace anyway. As I recall it, Wilkes was the incumbent full forward that we finished 2012 with. Kosi was already dropped.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:I'd put both Lee and Wilkes ahead of [Kosi].
Wilkes didn't kick any goals against finalists. Lee was playing against state league opponents. Kosi at least kicked a few goals against decent teams. If we wanted to get rid of Kosi, we could have. We chose to bring him back. I'm not certain he'll play, but coaches are consistently more conservative than the people around here.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:coaches are consistently more conservative than the people around here.
True, I'm saying what should happen ... Not necessarily what will

PLUGGER14
Club Player

I'm far from an expert but do you think that GC having a glut of young " developing" players (& GWS) may not have been able to put the work in across the board that the more established clubs may be able to with only a handful of such players?

I know there are a lot of staff at footy clubs these days to handle this but surely with a majority of established players more time can be spent one on one with the younger players. Both on & off field.

I for one think Hickey may benefit from more personal attention.

Thoughts?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You can now add Lew Peirce and Spencer White to our new talls.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully TDL's nickname doesn't become UDL :lol:

(Very poor Dad joke).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Hopefully TDL's nickname doesn't become UDL :lol:

(Very poor Dad joke).
Very Poor...

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93