How good is Hicky actually?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: How good is Hicky actually?

Old Mate wrote:GC have built up quite the poor reputation at the trade table. Hickey's market value is a mid second round pick and GC have done quite well (and underhandedly) at rising his worth by attempting to create a bidding war. The rumours about the Pies willing to give pick 20 for Hickey are rumoured to have started by none other than the GC club itself.

I understand they are trying to make it known that if their players want to return to their original state then clubs have to be willing to pay top dollar however it hasn't done their reputation any favours. First they wanted 2 x first round picks for Caddy, which everyone new was absolute BS. Now they want pick 13 for a zone selection player they got for free who is a project player, nice. Idiots. I hope we stand firm and pay market value or walk away. I wouldn't even give pick 25 for Hickey. Pick 37 or send him to the draft. He's rumoured to have said he will only sign with St Kilda so its in our favour.
Bloody oath mate. Tell Hickey to put a price on his head & walk to the draft if they don't take pick 37.

saintjake
Club Player

Would much rather Martin from Melbourne, would come a hell of a lot cheaper. Can fill a variety of rolls. I don't see why we would spend so much on someone to be a second ruck option behind mac

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Maybe our pick 24 for hickey and toy
From the afl site:

GOLD Coast began their pre-season training on Monday morning, but Tom Hickey and Joshua Toy - the subjects of trade speculation - were nowhere to be seen.

All Suns players with eight years of experience or under had their first session of the pre-season on a hot and humid Gold Coast day at Carrara.

But Hickey (who has been linked to St Kilda) and Toy (who has fielded interest from a number of Victorian clubs) were notable absentees.

Both have been given the week off while their futures are decided.

While not keen to speculate on the future of either, the Suns have maintained throughout the Gillette AFL Trade Period they would seek the best deal for both club and player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Would much rather Martin from Melbourne, would come a hell of a lot cheaper. Can fill a variety of rolls. I don't see why we would spend so much on someone to be a second ruck option behind mac
Rapidly starting to form this view

No way 13 for Hickey/ruck

Ray for Martin is line ball for mine and Martin has also played KPD before....
Keep 13
Do something for Brown but if no go, again forget paying overs

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Hickey has done nothing but take a few good contested marks against Collingwood. He's the only player Blake has ever polled Brownlow votes against in over 200 games. He may well improve but that's totally speculation - he may also be a spud who never puts on size or has no footy brain.

The inference here is that Blake is s.hit.

OTOH you could say Hickey is as good as Adam Goodes because Blake owned Goodes in s a semi final (when you dont get Brownlow votes).

Pretty poor example.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mick13
Club Player

Emma Quayle rates him pretty highly. That's enough for me.

And considering we got Pick 25 with Tom Lee. We will essentially get Hickey and Lee (pretty much ready to go KPP's) for Pick 12. And still with a pick in the 40s as a bonus.

Get it done Saints.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Exceptional athlete with a great temperament who if in a draft would go high on potential alone.

He's been good in bits in an awful team.

Even raw and a little ungainly he would already add something to our starting line up now IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Hickey played four games as first ruck. He broke even with Cam Wood, lost to Jason Blake and got demolished by David Hale and Matthew Krezuer. People really need to stop mentioning Dean Cox. Cox is the best ruck of his generation. Hickey is a project. There may be tools to work with, but he's still a project. He wouldn't be ahead of Mac and he'd need to show prowess as a forward to even get a game, barring injuries.
You are of course right Cox is the best Ruck of his generation but it is worth noting that he was a rookie selection. Therefore noone could predict how good he would become.
The simple fact is Hickey could be the next Cox or equally the next Barry Brookes, it is far too early to tell.
Or somewhere in between - a serviceable 150 gamer who rotates through the ruck and rests up forward - doesn't need to be a star for mine, just consistent and serviceable with courage, like a Geoff Sarau.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I don't agree with the idea that we don't need more support for McEvoy. At the moment we have Kosi (who is a forward), Blake (a defender who isn't contracted for next year) and Stanley (who's hamstrings haven't managed to get through the last couple of seasons). Kosi and Blake are options to play as second ruck but neither is capable of being first ruck.
I agree we shouldn't pay overs for him but our second and third picks for Hickey and GC's third and fourth would at least give them an upgrade in two rounds of the draft, would get us our ruckman and would still give us two picks if we wanted to use them.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Hickey has done nothing but take a few good contested marks against Collingwood. He's the only player Blake has ever polled Brownlow votes against in over 200 games. He may well improve but that's totally speculation - he may also be a spud who never puts on size or has no footy brain.

Gold Coast are desperately trying to lift his value when realistically, a pick in the early 30s is probably his market value. Pick 25 would be paying slightly overs, but I suspect that will end up being the price. 13 is insane.
I watched that game where Blakey polled votes again recently and Hickey kicked two goals against the tide from strong grabs. Looked to have something, certainly not a total hack... This is only time I've seen him though so could certainly have been an aberration...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im in the hickey camp, I think we need a good quality ruckman and I would be prepared to pay what the market says he is worth

What has got me intrigued with quite a few of the negative comment posters, and I would be willing to put money on this, it was not so long ago that many were up in arms about how the afl was corrupt & the suns were getting all these concessions to get the best players in the country.
Now those same players with two years experience are not worth (equally low) draft picks.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The question that should be asked is can Hickey play as a forward because you can only have one ruckman in a side these days. The second ruckman must be able to play at least 70 forward especially aas Ben really cant play forward. I know nothing about this guy but those who have seen him play will know if he looks like he can play forward. Having said that if the same people think Ben can play forward for anymore than a few minutes at a time then maybe I would dont their judgement on what a real forward needs to be able to do.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Harvey To Hayes wrote:

Gold Coast are desperately trying to lift his value when realistically, a pick in the early 30s is probably his market value. Pick 25 would be paying slightly overs, but I suspect that will end up being the price. 13 is insane.
I watched that game where Blakey polled votes again recently and Hickey kicked two goals against the tide from strong grabs. Looked to have something, certainly not a total hack... This is only time I've seen him though so could certainly have been an aberration...
One thing to keep in mind when watching games that he's played in is that he's playing in a fairly ordinary side. Give him some better players around him and he may look better.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Well said, he's a project that may be a 10 year ruckman or could be delisted in two.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:The question that should be asked is can Hickey play as a forward because you can only have one ruckman in a side these days.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Saintly spirit
Club Player

savatage wrote:
Old Mate wrote:GC have built up quite the poor reputation at the trade table. Hickey's market value is a mid second round pick and GC have done quite well (and underhandedly) at rising his worth by attempting to create a bidding war. The rumours about the Pies willing to give pick 20 for Hickey are rumoured to have started by none other than the GC club itself.

I understand they are trying to make it known that if their players want to return to their original state then clubs have to be willing to pay top dollar however it hasn't done their reputation any favours. First they wanted 2 x first round picks for Caddy, which everyone new was absolute BS. Now they want pick 13 for a zone selection player they got for free who is a project player, nice. Idiots. I hope we stand firm and pay market value or walk away. I wouldn't even give pick 25 for Hickey. Pick 37 or send him to the draft. He's rumoured to have said he will only sign with St Kilda so its in our favour.
Bloody oath mate. Tell Hickey to put a price on his head & walk to the draft if they don't take pick 37.
exactly

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like Hickey is a done deal with the Saints. Just working on details.

Chubby chequer
Club Player

Saintly spirit wrote:
savatage wrote:

exactly
+1

Saintersss
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sounds like Hickey is a done deal with the Saints. Just working on details.
You couldn't be more wrong...

Chubby chequer
Club Player

You couldn't be more wrong, it's a done deal

Saintersss
Club Player

Chubby chequer wrote:You couldn't be more wrong, it's a done deal
Mind telling what pick it is for then? And why isn't hasn't gone through yet?

There is still a lot of water to go under the bridge and Saints are even cooling on Hickey a little at this point. Plus, despite reports, the Pies are beginning to become very interested.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainterss sounds like he has some inside goss.

Any other goss you can share ?

Saintersss
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sainterss sounds like he has some inside goss.

Some of this is probably already known information, but here are a few things...

- Brown still a chance.
- WC won't give up much for Cripps, so all hope lies in WC relenting on not trading Brown, otherwise we won't get much from him, unfortunately.
- This is why the Cripps trade is taking so long and will probably only get settled on the last day. St Kilda hoping WC relent on Brown and thus don't want to trade Cripps until it's 100% certain Brown won't come to the Saints.
- Jacobs no certainty to head to North, despite nominating them. St Kilda a chance.
- Despite Ray's manager last week saying Ray will stay, he is still a very good chance to head to the Dees.
- Saints aren't that keen for Martin. (Not sure why?)
- Broughton on the cards for St Kilda. (Not really sure what it would take from St Kilda's POV)
- Suns playing hardball on Hickey (as we all know), and the Pies are a real threat and the main threat to stealing him because of the picks they have (17, 18, 20 all before St Kilda's 25)

Mind you all are these are rumours, so don't kill me if they don't happen, please!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Sainterss sounds like he has some inside goss.

Some of this is probably already known information, but here are a few things...

- Brown still a chance.
- WC won't give up much for Cripps, so all hope lies in WC relenting on not trading Brown, otherwise we won't get much from him, unfortunately.
- This is why the Cripps trade is taking so long and will probably only get settled on the last day. St Kilda hoping WC relent on Brown and thus don't want to trade Cripps until it's 100% certain Brown won't come to the Saints.
- Jacobs no certainty to head to North, despite nominating them. St Kilda a chance.
- Despite Ray's manager last week saying Ray will stay, he is still a very good chance to head to the Dees.
- Saints aren't that keen for Martin. (Not sure why?)
- Broughton on the cards for St Kilda. (Not really sure what it would take from St Kilda's POV)
- Suns playing hardball on Hickey (as we all know), and the Pies are a real threat and the main threat to stealing him because of the picks they have (17, 18, 20 all before St Kilda's 25)

Mind you all are these are rumours, so don't kill me if they don't happen, please!
No probs. Thanks for sharing. It all sounds like solid info. Given Broughton is in the core age group (22-27) where we are very weak - it would not surprise me at all if we wanted him - assuming his back is ok and he can pass the medical. I guess Broughton and Ray are pretty similar in many ways. So if Ray really wants to leave for more opportunity - Broughton would be seen as a good replacement.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Chubby chequer wrote:You couldn't be more wrong, it's a done deal
I've been hearing this crap for 3 weeks. On 3 different forums.

If it's a done deal, why TF isn't it done. :?