Goddard Says.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Goddard Says.....

the saddest thing about this is seeing how insecure so many supporters are. You would think their mothers had just put them up for adoption. Hard to respect the club when so many of its supporters are so fragile.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote:the saddest thing about this is seeing how insecure so many supporters are. You would think their mothers had just put them up for adoption. Hard to respect the club when so many of its supporters are so fragile.
Agreed.

I am not angry or miffed or anything as that the way the system is and we will be taking some other teams' gun player sooner rather than later.

I fear for the way the competition is going where we could see the poorer skilled players actually being paid less due to the better players changing clubs for more and more money.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

:oops: :wink:

PADDLEPOP1000
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:the saddest thing about this is seeing how insecure so many supporters are. You would think their mothers had just put them up for adoption. Hard to respect the club when so many of its supporters are so fragile.
I disagree. It's not as though fans were burning effigies of him or sending him death threats. It was a natural reaction by fans who were emotional about a star player - who had been at the club 10 years, no less - depart to a hated rival club. That said, people are starting to simmer. I don't think Saints fans will be holding the same grudges as say Carlton supporters did towards Aaron Hamill.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

honestly not fussed by it all. we offered a fair deal, bombers offered well over. he is simply following the creed of our last coach - loyalty is not something asked for, money talks. the lyin legacy.
huge respect for the loyal players, but not going to hate those others - just not going to care for them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:honestly not fussed by it all. we offered a fair deal, bombers offered well over. he is simply following the creed of our last coach - loyalty is not something asked for, money talks. the lyin legacy.
huge respect for the loyal players, but not going to hate those others - just not going to care for them.
And what about those players that come to us from other clubs?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:honestly not fussed by it all. we offered a fair deal, bombers offered well over. he is simply following the creed of our last coach - loyalty is not something asked for, money talks. the lyin legacy.
And what about those players that come to us from other clubs?
Good question, i look forward to his reply.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
cross2012
Club Player

dragit wrote:
cross2012 wrote: BJ is the tip of the iceberg, in time, we will see less passionate supporters - a bit like the NRL. I think genuine passion is what seperates the codes.
Really? less passionate - I doubt it… bigger fish have left the Saints in the past…

We all loved Hamill and Gehrig… now Dons fans will love BJ, goes both ways, pretty sure no-one on here will be less passionate because we lost a good player… Ball going to Collingwood probably amplified passion if anything, (with a tinge of rage)

NRL average crowds are well under half of the AFL, maybe it's just a s*** game in comparison.
I wasnt referring to Saints specifically, but AFL in general. Free Agency means that there will be star player movement on a scale we havent seen before and initiated by both sides. Personally, i couldnt stomach watching a cloke pendelbury and Swan run around in a saints jumper. They just wouldnt be our players. Call me old fashion :)

andrewg
Club Player

I have lost ALL respect for Greedard. He is like Ross a Judas and will be treated as such. Those that respect him will be in t he very small minority, he will be booed and like 25-30,000 saints supporters at the next Essendon game, I will love very minute of it

Chubby chequer
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Agreed.

I am not angry or miffed or anything as that the way the system is and we will be taking some other teams' gun player sooner rather than later.

I fear for the way the competition is going where we could see the poorer skilled players actually being paid less due to the better players changing clubs for more and more money.
That's the way it should be yes? Or are you on the wrong side of the fence mate? So many overpaid duds in this comp....

snowdelisaint
Club Player

ace
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We all know it was purely for money so Essendon have purchased themselves a mercenary.

But that is not a critisism, loyalty is for fans not players who have to earn the most they can in my view.

But lets call a spade a spade. Goddard went to Essendon purely for more money therefore a mercenary with eyes on the $$$$$.
Yes he did it for the money ........ just like his brother did IT for the money.
Seems to be a family trait.

At least Brendon he will stay out of jail ..... just.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We all know it was purely for money so Essendon have purchased themselves a mercenary.

But that is not a critisism, loyalty is for fans not players who have to earn the most they can in my view.

But lets call a spade a spade. Goddard went to Essendon purely for more money therefore a mercenary with eyes on the $$$$$.
Yes he did it for the money ........ just like his brother did IT for the money.
Seems to be a family trait.

At least Brendon he will stay out of jail ..... just.

Great post. Still waiting for that post.You know the funny one.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Hey riewoldt is still inviting him to the wedding lol surprised he didnt get booted from the list

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Hey guys hey was all ways going to leave his heart wasnt with the club for. The past 2 years it was always about money for brendon and as pelchen said he put him before the club so they didnt want that type of thinking at the club

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Boy wrote:Hey riewoldt is still inviting him to the wedding lol surprised he didnt get booted from the list

Why would he. i had people who left for other jobs at my wedding. Players arent little kids. Pretty sure they can all handle it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Humans are very complex creatures.

And with 38 on a list and 18 clubs in the comp, that's a hell of a lot of different people with different mind sets, values, needs, ambitions etc. Why do some of us expect them to all act the same? Even amongst my own friends I have many who would act differently in various circumstances.

My point? I think we should admire and respect the likes of Lenny Hayes rather than be shocked and disappointed by the likes of Brendon Goddard.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne Demons poster on BigFooty:
The Finger, post: 25915599, member: 105638 wrote:StKilda are all over Chipper Frawley and he is keen to move.
The Finger, post: 25915629, member: 105638 wrote:Have to be a first round pick. I hope it doesnt eventuate but the mail is its not looking good.
Good call Doc.

Oops wrong thread.

georgie girl
Club Player

BJ hasn't played anywhere near his best footy since 2010. Hence he was not worth the money he was asking. What is best for the club must go before the individual.
He may or may not play like a champion at Essendon, but he was never going to play like one at the Saints. He just does not appear to have been able to move on since the Grand Finals. I think the arrival of Scott Watters has breathed fresh life into many of our players - but not BJ.
I know it is his job and I won't 'boo' him but I am still saddened that there is no loyalty in footy anymore.
As Barry Breen said in his tweet, "Saints Premiership window is wider than Ess. How ironic if the Saints succeed without BJ. Guys use the opportunity and build the list." Hope you're right Barry!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
I disagree. It's not as though fans were burning effigies of him or sending him death threats. It was a natural reaction by fans who were emotional about a star player - who had been at the club 10 years, no less - depart to a hated rival club. That said, people are starting to simmer. I don't think Saints fans will be holding the same grudges as say Carlton supporters did towards Aaron Hamill.

I'm really on the fence with this one, it's kind of rebuilding hope that we are on a course for list regeneration. Doesn't mean that I like him leaving for more money any more than I liked it when I was young and one of my girlfriends told me she was leaving me. You kind of know it's over and it's best for all but you do kind of have that lump in the gut from it. You hope she doesn't go out and find true happiness with someone better.

I'm the same with goddard, it's probably best for all but i still hope he ends up unsuccessful at the Bombers. Even just for the Lovett fiasco. The fact that he's getting a little job on the side controversially doesn't make it very palatable either, Bombers are the kind of club that is used to being able to do as they please and get away with it.

Bring on the Shack (Caddy)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

No job on the side
But felt like that gringo when ball left and Harvey at blues

I guess it's not new, but deoends on how emotionally connected you are
I wasn't as involved/ connected with the club when Danny Frawley left, altough remember him coaching at richmond
Then was reading about a former Brisbane Lion ( name escapes me) who started at the Pies who said Danny was his biggest influence from his years at the pies.

Anyone remember how long he was there?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

retired in 95 and i think he went straight to the pies when shaw was there
started at the tigers in 2000?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest our clubs 130 odd year history, which includes losing many stars, may have something to do with the insecurity and fragility, as you put it.

Wish we were all as strong as you.
Last edited by 8856brother on Wed 03 Oct 2012 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Club Player

saintbrat wrote:No job on the side
But felt like that gringo when ball left and Harvey at blues

I guess it's not new, but deoends on how emotionally connected you are
I wasn't as involved/ connected with the club when Danny Frawley left, altough remember him coaching at richmond
Then was reading about a former Brisbane Lion ( name escapes me) who started at the Pies who said Danny was his biggest influence from his years at the pies.

Anyone remember how long he was there?
Mal Michael?

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I think you are reading too much into the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I am angry at the system and most other people disappointed with this are not insecure, this does not actually impact my life in any way.
I still have a job and a mortgage and a family. I will still get my Social Club membership and still support the Saints.

BUT I will not wander around with my rose coloured glasses on, pretending everything is great, this worked out well for us.
My Arse it worked out well for us.

I am extremely disappointed with the whole concept of Free Agency because it flys in the face of equalisation of the game.
I don't begrudge BJ moving for money I respect that decision.

We will never get a top line player through Free Agency unless we are willing to pay way over the top.
We will be able to help ourselves to the rejects from other clubs maybe even an occasional midrange player who wants to come home.

Think about this way, imagine this scenario occuring in a few years.
A top liner from Gold Coast becomes a free agent.
We have plenty of room in our salary cap to chase a player.
We offer him 600K a year for three years as do two other clubs, Collingwood and West Coast.
What does he do? Well he may decide he wants to come to Victoria and as such taking the Eagles out of the equation.
Then he has to look at the remaining clubs, they are both offering the same money.
One is offering block buster games at the MCG the other 20K against interstate clubs at Etihad and an annual trip to New Zealand.
State of the art facilities at the Optus centre with more support staff than players or a trip down the Frankston Freeway to Seaford.
A trophy cabinet full of Pemiership Cups or a shelf with one cup on it looking a little dusty.

All the clubs are going to be like pigs at the Free Agency trough unfortunatly we are one of the runts of the litter.