Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

Say what you will about Eddie, at least he comes out swinging (and biting and scratching) for his club. I've not heard our threats of open war if one our best players is pilfered.

But hey, keep drinking the cool-aid... this is a great outcome for us going forward. He kicks too straight and shows too much passion for my liking anyway.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

From another thread......It's not as simple as matching the offer or just adding an extra year to the deal. There's a plan for recruitment and salary cap management. The clubs decision on BJ will need to factor all this in. It's naive to think that it's as simple as matching the offer. There will be a timeline showing where players age, what they are likely to be worth, where we think we need to recruit, who will roll off, etc etc. basically a view as to how the team builds over time. Adding an extra year to BJ plays with all that. Not just about the $$ for the club.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you are happy to pay about 700K over 4 years to keep a guy who has one top 3 finish in the B&F. That makes him the top paid player at the club by a fair bit with the longest contract. Also something like 8th and 4th in the B&F for the last 2 years. And that figure obviously gets us real close to the cap which means we struggle to trade this year. The guy is also 27 years old. He probably isnt getting better either.

Do you think o'keefe at the swans would have been part of the next swans flag when he was 27?
I don't believe he had a norm smith at that stage.

No I didnt. Do you think a player with one top 3 finish in the B&F deserves the highest money and the longest contract especially after his last 2 years? By the wy my opinion is we cant win a flag in the next 5 years whoever we have playing for us. Others will think differently.
Yes I do, we need to pay someone, it's not a mill a year.
Who should be paid the most then?
Did you think the swans would win another flag within 5 years in 2008 say?
You will no doubt be proven correct given we have won 1 in 100+ years but I still think we have something there.

kaos theory
Club Player

maverick wrote:

You will no doubt be proven correct given we have won 1 in 100+ years but I still think we have something there.
Again, what has bj shown in the last 2 yrs that he is the differences between us winning a flag or not??

Also, it is stupid to think we have to pay a player a lot of money because we have salary cap room.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The extra might be only $600000. That will fit someone like Caddy, Hickey or Stewart (or an established FB) and the rest could boost the amount of rookies we are able to list even.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Say what you will about Eddie, at least he comes out swinging (and biting and scratching) for his club. I've not heard our threats of open war if one our best players is pilfered.

But hey, keep drinking the cool-aid... this is a great outcome for us going forward. He kicks too straight and shows too much passion for my liking anyway.
Eddies pathetic childish threats did absolutely nothing to ward off other clubs, both Carlton and Fremantle would have happily snapped up Cloke if he'd agreed... This is free agency, purely goddards choice... I'm glad we aren't represented by a complete wanker like McGuire.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:BJ will fall into Band 1 which means we will get a pick after the pick we have in our draf order.

Currently we have pick 12 & hence we will get pick 13, provided BJ is classified Band 1.
Nope. Band 1 is mid-first round, which is apparently after the pick of the club which finished 9th. That just happens to be us this year, but that's got nothing to do with the pick we already had.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Say what you will about Eddie, at least he comes out swinging (and biting and scratching) for his club. I've not heard our threats of open war if one our best players is pilfered.
Agreee with this, I think a lot of the time Ed carries on but I wish our club would come out swinging at times instead of taking it up the rear. Not just in this instance but like the kd issue, the club must have known that it was lies fir a long time but they just took it.

I hope we dont hold back in raiding other clubs, thats if there is any player worth raiding.

I love this club
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Surely people can see our club is being freaking necessarily ruthless for the first time in forever.

I'm not sure what Eddie has to do with that.

I hate that it comes to this, but there's clearly a plan in place, one it seems BJ doesn't want a part of/fit into.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
maverick
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
maverick wrote:

Again, what has bj shown in the last 2 yrs that he is the differences between us winning a flag or not??

Also, it is stupid to think we have to pay a player a lot of money because we have salary cap room.
Wait and see when he's gone, watch us then.
If we hit a target it will be an accident.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
kaos theory wrote:
maverick wrote:

lol, funny but true

Dont think there is any free agents available that we should be spending money on, certainly not the amounts being mentioned for Goddard.

I love this club
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BJ's as good as gone. Get pick 13 and move on guys.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Surely people can see our club is being freaking necessarily ruthless for the first time in forever.

I hate that it comes to this, but there's clearly a plan in place, one it seems BJ doesn't want a part of/fit into.
Yup, line in the sand.

Not with the likes of Kosi or Gram, but with Goddard.

Maybe it's the same strategy that saw Lyon walk, and us get zero for Ball... incompetent brinkmanship.

defacto
Club Player

pies given in to cloke and pay 800k for 5 years. their cap will be in a lovelly state in 2-3 years.
saints stay strong. dons pay 600-800k for 4 years. dons cap will be in a lovelly state now. ours will be squeaky clean and will allow us to keep future stars.

were the winner IMO

Fidelis
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Surely people can see our club is being freaking necessarily ruthless for the first time in forever.

Agree with this Thinline. I see this as a line in the sand moment for the club. I see two principles being brought into play:

First, we'll go down the Geelong track - a flatter salary structure which requires our best to be well rewarded (but not paid top dollar) and allows good money for the bottom half of the list and hence a stronger list.

Second, in the new free agency landscape where at least one of our desirable players will be in demand every year, we'll make a fair offer and allow them to walk if they wish to chase the cash.

Of course, this only works if we have a culture in place where players are happy to stay for less than they might get elsewhere.

Faithful Even Unto Death
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

Yup, line in the sand.

Maybe it's the same strategy that saw Lyon walk, and us get zero for Ball... incompetent brinkmanship.
Agree Mark.

We need to make a statement, so we choose BJ?

Foolishness.

Guarantee they will break their own 'new rules' soon enough...

kaos theory
Club Player

maverick wrote:
kaos theory wrote:
maverick wrote:

So our whole team performance for the last 5 years has been because of goddard? If no one else could hit a target, goodard must be the greatest footballer in the entire history of the game to lift the saints to some pretty good levels. we should have paid him $5mill/year and the rest split between all the other hacks in our team.

paddy
Club Player

a statement is only valuable if we have something to lose...

if there is no risk, its not a statement, its just a decision.

While I dont blame BJ for leaving, as I would chase the cash too.... but as others have pointed out, it may jeapodise our future, to pay overs for bj...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote: So our whole team performance for the last 5 years has been because of goddard? If no one else could hit a target, goodard must be the greatest footballer in the entire history of the game to lift the saints to some pretty good levels. we should have paid him $5mill/year and the rest split between all the other hacks in our team.
Somewhere in the middle...

BJ finally get's moved in the midfield this season....Rd 15 wasn't it....that he'd 'earned his turn' or something?

Suddenly has a ridiculous amount of score involvements as he used the ball very well and hit targets forward of centre.

All this talk about him not being able to win his own ball anymore is rubbish, averaged one less contested possession per game than Jude Bolton, David Mundy....and someone else I can't quite remember now.

Sure he hasn't been in his best form, but Watters can take some of the responsibility for that....and that's not a knock at Scott at all, I think he wants him, and was trying to mould him into what he wants him to be.

I think Scott sees him in his plans, it's not in his control though....

66 Saints
Club Player

markp wrote:

Yup, line in the sand.

Are Kosi and Gram asking for stupid money? Have they gone to FA to extract over the odds cash from the club?

I can understand people being upset Goddard is leaving but agree with Thinline. We need to be necessarily ruthless and not held to ransom by one players demands.

66 Saints
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
kaos theory wrote: So our whole team performance for the last 5 years has been because of goddard? If no one else could hit a target, goodard must be the greatest footballer in the entire history of the game to lift the saints to some pretty good levels. we should have paid him $5mill/year and the rest split between all the other hacks in our team.
Somewhere in the middle...

BJ finally get's moved in the midfield this season....Rd 15 wasn't it....that he'd 'earned his turn' or something?

Suddenly has a ridiculous amount of score involvements as he used the ball very well and hit targets forward of centre.

All this talk about him not being able to win his own ball anymore is rubbish, averaged one less contested possession per game than Jude Bolton, David Mundy....and someone else I can't quite remember now.

Sure he hasn't been in his best form, but Watters can take some of the responsibility for that....and that's not a knock at Scott at all, I think he wants him, and was trying to mould him into what he wants him to be.

I think Scott sees him in his plans, it's not in his control though....
How much would you pay Jude Bolton or David Mundy per season?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't let the truth or facts get in the way of a defence argument mounted by apologists

First Ball was hopeless

Then Lyon was over rated

Dawson was useless

Next we know Goddard will be no good?!

I actually watched the 2010 GF the other day..... Is he worth 700.... Don't see why not.... Very few players have his flexibility, footskills, smarts and are proven big game performers at peak age......If Essendon will pay it for him Guess he is ... Hang on, I suppose the Bombers hierarchy are stupid, remember they stupidly traded pick 16 to us for a gun.
Lovett ---- pick 16
Goddard ----- pick 13

Sounds fair

markp
Saintsational Legend

And I would've thought Goddard is one of our few elite players who is still young enough to be around for our next genuine tilt.

Arguing that this is a good outcome because it frees up cap space is like arguing that kicking a point is better than kicking a goal because the ball stays in your forward line.

If the logic is we need to be ruthless to free up space for our next crop and crack then we'd be better off trading and unloading all our players over 29.... Goddard is 4 years younger than this years norm smith medalist, and in the same realm.

It's staggering and diabolical if reports of a reduced offer are correct.

I'm sure the horse has already bolted, but the point is it should never have got to this stage.... All of a sudden people are claiming he wanted 'overs', seems to me he just wanted a fourth year and his worth.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Don't let the truth or facts get in the way of a defence argument mounted by apologists

First Ball was hopeless

Then Lyon was over rated

Dawson was useless

Next we know Goddard will be no good?!

I actually watched the 2010 GF the other day..... Is he worth 700.... Don't see why not.... Very few players have his flexibility, footskills, smarts and are proven big game performers at peak age......If Essendon will pay it for him Guess he is ... Hang on, I suppose the Bombers hierarchy are stupid, remember they stupidly traded pick 16 to us for a gun.
Lovett ---- pick 16
Goddard ----- pick 13

Sounds fair
It's a relevant point bigmart, most people stay they can't stomach watching any of the lost grand finals....I think this impacts their opinion of BJ, because they'd never subscribe to letting him go so easily surely?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:And I would've thought Goddard is one of our few elite players who is still young enough to be around for our next genuine tilt.

Arguing that this is a good outcome because it frees up cap space is like arguing that kicking a point is better than kicking a goal because the ball stays in your forward line.

If the logic is we need to be ruthless to free up space for our next crop and crack then we'd be better off trading and unloading all our players over 29.... Goddard is 4 years younger than this years norm smith medalist, and in the same realm.

It's staggering and diabolical if reports of a reduced offer are correct.

I'm sure the horse has already bolted, but the point is it should never have got to this stage.... All of a sudden people are claiming he wanted 'overs', seems to me he just wanted a fourth year and his worth.
People are also assuming he wanted what the other clubs are offering...

Maybe he wanted the Saints to meet somewhere in the middle.

However the consistent reports, while the price may vary, is that the Saints won't budge...not even a tiny bit...not even the term...not even with conditions.

Say we are offering 475 X 3 and the Dons 720 X 4....why does it have to be one or the other that he settles on?

Why can't it be 585 X 4?

Maybe someone needs to throw a brick through Pelchens office tied to a thesaurus opened to the defenition of 'negotiate'