BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

He has minimum one more contract after this.

I somehow think that Brendon will be okay when it comes to money.

Solid financial advice (although difficult to find) will go a long way.

This goes for any player though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Buckets wrote:Because 3 years and $650k just isn't enough hey clarky! :roll:
i'd take the longer deal, personally. people leave workplaces and move cities all the time, it's not that hard. we want him to stay with "his mates" but who really knows who much sway that has with him? in five years most of his current teammates will be gone from the saints anyway.
How is it that the only player to have left Geelong was Ablett and he was paid over a million. The rest including Bartell Kelly Ling Taylor Selwood etc are happy with the 500k! Bj has said that he would rather stay at the club or is that just spin and is after the better money?

Winning a flag helps and also I dont think you would have to be Einstein to realise his chances of winning one with us are getting smaller by the year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Just depends on how money driven he is. If the article is correct and the Bummers are offering $800,000 and four years that's $1.95m vs $3.2m guaranteed, less tax. Another $1.2m, less tax, for one more year of your life. That's a big carrot if he's really driven by money.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Just depends on how money driven he is. If the article is correct and the Bummers are offering $800,000 and four years that's $1.95m vs $3.2m guaranteed, less tax. Another $1.2m, less tax, for one more year of your life. That's a big carrot if he's really driven by money.
Where did it say that they were offering him $800k a year for 4 years? I would highly doubt that the Bombers would offer that sort of money to BJ. Hird isn't a fool and that type of decision making could ultimately be his undoing.

There is no point in signing until all offers are on the table. Any responsible player agent would be telling him that.

I think BJ is going to end up staying at St Kilda and I predict that there will be a number of disappointed posters on here.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Tough call, I don't mind what BJ does. He has done it all, given 100%, and deserves ever penny he gets.

I couldn't blame him for leaving, and there is probably more logic in doing so, financially, potentisl premierships.

It's just a matter of how much BJ values the intagibles such as being a 1 club player, a loyal saint for life and being faithful.

At thr same time, saints can't really and shouldn't commit to 4 years or excessive money, as it will simply cripple us.

Carpe Diem
Megsie
Club Player

How do journos know such info. ??

fingers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
matrix wrote:what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?

Bloody hell matrix, I would like to know your accountant.

If it was purely PAYG the top marginal rate is currently 45% kicking in after about 180k.

Works out to be about $225k a year.

Man I'd love that deal Matrix!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why can't they offer him 5.... Reward his contribution and loyalty thus far...... He's going to get better

Don't understand the short contract stance.... He is durable, plays largely uncontested footy and has 6+ years left IMO

His last few years he will be a bargain as a Vet

Buckets
SS Life Member

Two words for you.....Aaron Hamill.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why can't they offer him 5.... Reward his contribution and loyalty thus far...... He's going to get better

Don't understand the short contract stance.... He is durable, plays largely uncontested footy and has 6+ years left IMO

Do you know how the Vet list works now. 5 years for a 28 year old is rubbish. He is being offered to much money anyway IMO let alone giving him that much over 5 years. Should BJ be our second highest paid player ever? I for one dont think so.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Why can't they offer him 5.... Reward his contribution and loyalty thus far...... He's going to get better

Do you know how the Vet list works now. 5 years for a 28 year old is rubbish. He is being offered to much money anyway IMO let alone giving him that much over 5 years. Should BJ be our second highest paid player ever? I for one dont think so.
Spot on. If he was given a 5 year deal, the final two would have to be much lower base with incentives in case of LTI issues ala Hammil

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This thread is proof that the club is starting to shed itself of the messiah syndrome, IMO.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blimey
thats some tax bill :shock:

f***ed if i know what he'll do
we've got another two seeks of guessing and speculation still yet

and even then he might not decided on the first of october
when does that window close?? (the free agency thingy)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:blimey
thats some tax bill :shock:

f***ed if i know what he'll do
we've got another two seeks of guessing and speculation still yet

and even then he might not decided on the first of october
when does that window close?? (the free agency thingy)

I think its 22 October

Moods
Saintsational Legend

His loyalty so far? :shock:

Not hard to be loyal when you are playing in a team that plays finals every year and you're getting paid $500k a year to do so. As It is we're offering way too much I reckon. He is a 500k a year player. Tops. He hasn't even won a B&F at our club, has been AA maybe once or twice in nearly 10 years of footy. I bet Lenny has never been paid as well as BJ gets paid. And he has won 3 B&F!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

$1.9 Mil is a lot of coin.

We could really test the "extra security is key" idea, offer him a 4 year deal at $550k a season, or $450k a year for 5 years. Then the club doesnt really lose anything, paying close enough to the same amount, spread over more time.

BJ gets his extra security, if his body is shot after 3 years, he will still be getting paid fairly well. He would be staring down the barrel at a tiny contract offer or being delisted altogether without this contract.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:…or $450k a year for 5 years.
so 2.25 mil for 5 years instead of 1.9 over 3?

I don't think that will cut it - 2 more years at 175 each…

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good points
never won a b&f
if lenny isnt on half a mill then no way on earth should bj

you'd think roo and lenny would be the two highest paid players
on performance

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:good points
never won a b&f
if lenny isnt on half a mill then no way on earth should bj

you'd think roo and lenny would be the two highest paid players
on performance
Nah… kosi & gram - obviously.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shite
forgot about those two

thats unreal
saying gram is on more coin over lenny just does not even sound right when said out loud

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

His loyalty so far? :shock:

Not hard to be loyal when you are playing in a team that plays finals every year and you're getting paid $500k a year to do so. As It is we're offering way too much I reckon. He is a 500k a year player. Tops. He hasn't even won a B&F at our club, has been AA maybe once or twice in nearly 10 years of footy. I bet Lenny has never been paid as well as BJ gets paid. And he has won 3 B&F!
This is what astounds me regarding his asking price. It's all based on the perception that BJ is elite. I'd like to know what the definition of an elite AFL player is.

For mine, being a top 10 player would surely have to be a main criteria. And to be a top 10 player surely would have to mean that you hold multiple awards such as B&F, AA, MVP, brownlow, Norm Smith and premiership. And I would argue that you have to have at least one premiership medal as a minium in that lot. If you don't then you are not worth more than 500k per season at best. Goddard only lays claim to one of those medals. Just one!

Just because a club has chosen to give a player an elite pay packet doesn't automatically make him elite.

Gershwin
Club Player

I can't see Goddard being all that valuable in 3 years.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think as a midfielder he is probably slower than most. He is certainly not quick. And if you look at the way football is going you need to be quick.

He is not tall enough to play key position. A pinch-hitter in the forward line perhaps.

That leaves him as a loose man in defence or designated kicker. We can find others to play that role for less money.

Goddard doesn't appeal to me as a 2015 type of player but in saying that I would be happy to take him for 3 years at the money he is being offered.

summertime and the living is easy ........
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Two words for you.....Aaron Hamill.
Aaron Hamill(knee) is three words, isn't it? :lol:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Whilst BJ is not elite (IMO) it should also be considered his standing relative to the team. He may not have won a Best and Fairest however I would confidently say that he has been our best player over the last 5 seasons (08-12). That's taking into account his performances as well as his durability. Roo and Lenny have had layoffs in that time. It could be argued that Fisher and Dal Santo are among the top 5 players over that period as well. So I think that BJ should be the second highest paid player at the club behind our captain. If this offer is correct then it's probably about right and would make him the second highest paid player at the club. If he leaves then the admin can't be blamed.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:I can't see Goddard being all that valuable in 3 years.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think as a midfielder he is probably slower than most. He is certainly not quick. And if you look at the way football is going you need to be quick.

He is not tall enough to play key position. A pinch-hitter in the forward line perhaps.

That leaves him as a loose man in defence or designated kicker. We can find others to play that role for less money.

Goddard doesn't appeal to me as a 2015 type of player but in saying that I would be happy to take him for 3 years at the money he is being offered.
I know what you’re saying and don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment.

But it makes you think doesn’t it? I recall only 2 years ago when BJ was taking speckies and we were making our second consecutive (unsuccessful) run at a flag. And I distinctly remember the commentators were banging on about him being the prototype for the modern footballer. He was described as almost perfect and every club as going to have to get themselves a Goddard

Does the game really change that quickly? Or were those commentators, like a few on here, simply going off a bit early?