BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BJ offered $1.9m over three years

From The Age today, by Jon Pierik.

"BRENDON Goddard must decide whether a three-year contract worth up to $1.95 million is enough to keep him at St Kilda.

Goddard, 27, is off contract and a restricted free agent, and will test out the market when the free-agency window opens in a fortnight.

It is understood he had wanted a four-year deal to remain at the club he joined in 2002, but the Saints maintain three years is their best offer. They have offered a contract worth between $600,000 and $650,000 a season to retain him, which, if incentive clauses are triggered, would result in a pay increase.

It is understood Goddard would have accepted a three-year deal only if the remuneration was higher.
Advertisement

Essendon is circling the two-time All-Australian and appears set to offer a four-year deal and more money than the Saints when free agency opens on October 1.

The Bombers need help through the midfield and rebounding from half-back, a role that would suit Goddard.

He has also been linked to Fremantle through the connection with former Saints coach Ross Lyon.

If a rival club tables an official offer, the Saints have the option of matching it.

The Saints may be open to tinkering with their offer but have made it clear they will not compromise the work they have done this season in easing their salary-cap pressure.

If Goddard was to leave, the Saints almost certainly would receive a first-round compensation pick if they did not secure a player of similar age and worth as a free agent.

Goddard's future was a talking point at Wednesday night's best-and-fairest count, in which he finished fourth behind winner Lenny Hayes, runner-up Leigh Montagna and Sean Dempster. He was also awarded life membership.

While his passion for the Saints was obvious in his acceptance speech, the fact he did not mention next season was noted by the club.

''I just want to thank everyone for their support. It has been 10 years and 205 games,'' Goddard said.

''I am humbled and privileged to play 200 games at such a wonderful club. It has meant a lot to me. It is my life. I love you guys dearly and thank you for your support and your continued support throughout the years.''

St Kilda coach Scott Watters is unsure which way Goddard is leaning.

The Saints have been able to free up space under their salary cap, having been burdened in part in recent years by the bonus clauses several star players had in their contracts.

This situation will improve further next year when more players come off contract, but Watters is already bullish, declaring the Saints will be ''aggressive'' during free agency.

''Twelve months ago, yeah, there was some pressure, as you would expect of a club that had been through a number of grand finals,'' he said.

''It would be incorrect for people to think our position is compromised in any way, shape or form. So we are in a position to be aggressive from a salary cap point of view. And that needs to be on the record. I'd rather people know the truth.''

The Saints are determined to follow the models of Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast and Hawthorn in ensuring the gap between their highest-paid players and their second-tier senior, established talent is not as great as it once was.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z26YCiUSg6

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

Well if 1.95m isn't good enough other clubs can have him!

Team is always before the individual.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

let him go IMO

way to high for his out put

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like he's gone to me....maybe just weighing things up....but the money will pull him away I reckon..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

That's a good offer. I still think we should offer a 4th year but a very heavy incentive based deal with a much lower base, as insurance in case of him developing chronic injury.

If he goes, I hope it's to a Melbourne based club so he's more visible. I won't hate him, and will enjoy watching him play just like I did when Plugger went to Sydney.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's a good offer. BJ must now decide whether he wants to be an extremely rich man or just a very rch man.

If it were me I'd stick with my mates.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If the report is accurate then I'm very comfortable about the situation.

I want him to stay. But at least if he goes I can now be satisfied that the club did all it could have done and, more importantly, all it should have done, to keep him.

If mega bucks win the day then so be it 8-)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If he now goes, it's purely financial. That, to me, is a pretty shitty motivation all things considered. It's never worked for me in my professional life.

He'll be well off here or elsewhere. One clubmanship has it's own special currency.

Should stay IMO. Probably won't.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Gershwin
Club Player

It is a huge decision for him because he will never be as marketable as he is now.
Money, security, loyalty, mateship, public perception are all things he needs to consider.

It appears the club is making a reasonable offer.
Often it is much easier to get more by going to a new employer than getting a promotion where you are.

I hope he stays but won't be too put out if he goes. Will certainly get my respect if he stays.

summertime and the living is easy ........
PJ
SS Life Member

The benefit of BJ staying for me is more that he offers stability and experience while we introduce new players and new structures. Him on his own is not enough IMO, he's not structurally that important for us. He's a good user of the ball but he's not going to offer us much more going forward especially at 27.

If he goes it presents the club with opportunity to make important changes in personel, generate space in the cap and develop youth

If he stays we keep an A grade player with excellent footskills

We can't lose really unless you stuff up our selections!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good measured replies there folks! I'm like many who want to see BJ stay, but at the same time remember the infamous deal done by Waldron in giving Hamill five years.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
older saint
SS Life Member

Need to remember StKilda have the option to match a free agency offer, hene they need to keep some of the amo dry. If he takes 3 years great , if the match involves a 4th year the club has the option to add it. if they offer a 4th year straight up they have no where to move and tell everyone else where the water mark is.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Good measured replies there folks! I'm like many who want to see BJ stay, but at the same time remember the infamous deal done by Waldron in giving Hamill five years.
It's genuinely a win/win whichever way it goes as far as St K goes.

As far as Beej goes I do however think the green ain't always grassier, so to speak.

The moolah ain't everything - the difference between lots and lots plus a bit is minimal really - and a devil is almost always better known.

Cautionary tales dot history!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Agree with PJ.
I really don' have a problem, in fact I would prefer that he goes, Pelchen will pick a large young KPP who will fill a huge void in our structure.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote:Need to remember StKilda have the option to match a free agency offer, hene they need to keep some of the amo dry. If he takes 3 years great , if the match involves a 4th year the club has the option to add it. if they offer a 4th year straight up they have no where to move and tell everyone else where the water mark is.
Spot on!

I still think that this option is on the cards. Unless an offer is ridiculously large (St Kilda are making it public that the term of the deal is the sticking point so a rival may think they cam trump the Saints with a 4 year offfer) & BJ makes it clear that he wants out, then matching then trading is more attractive than simply getting a compo pick.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Good deal offered by the club. BJ is extremely loyal and I don't see him going anywhere. He is dipping his toe in the water to see if he can get the Saints to up the offer.

Think we will end up offering a 4th year and I am confident he will stay.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Think we will end up offering a 4th year

With the risk of career-ending injuries always a possibility for any player, no matter how good, I can see why football clubs are reluctant to do this.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:If he now goes, it's purely financial. That, to me, is a pretty shitty motivation all things considered.
I disagree. The motivation would be that he has a chance of winning a flag at another club, while he doesn't at the Saints. Freo, Carlton, Essendon - all are closer to a flag than we are. Even GWS is line-ball and you could forgive him for wanting to kick to Patton and Cameron in a couple of years.

jays
Club Player

thats good money imo

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

More than 600k would be paying overs for him and it would be reckless to give him four years on big money. It's a perfectly reasonable offer from the club. I'd rather he stays but as long as we make good use of the compo pick we can't lose.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

If true it is probably a good and realistic offer to start the negotiations at.
I certainly hope he stays - but can someone really come up with more than 120K more than that over four years?
I actually do NOT feel that Freo Carltong and Ess are closer to a flag than us - we still can have another tilt providing the game plan is solidified with stronger defence and we pick up a tall or two.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?
My guess would be 240K .. but there are accountants here. He still gets to earn more than the Prime Minister - which I always find to be pretty amusing - that coaches and top players get more than the country's leader.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To much IMO. he is a 500k player at best. Dont see why he should be our highest paid player which he will be in 2 years. One top3 in the B&F in 10 years of footy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

240!!!!
on 600

what a f****** rort that would be!!!

joffa youre the accountant head
whats the answer