Freo Defensive Pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Freo Defensive Pressure

older saint wrote:Best tactical coach in the AFL. I may be in the minority but ugly and winning is better than attractive and sometimes winning.

RL is gone though and Waters is the future, cant look back but just because RL left people should still recognise his expertise
Correct.

The guy is an excellent AFL coach. All AFL coaches have their flaws, but he knows his stuff.

He was brilliant for the Saints and will be brilliant for the Dockers. He would have been brilliant for Carlton too - he is perfectly suited to a club at a particular phase in its development cycle.

I like the bloke, despite what he did to us. Balls the size of watermelons. I wish him luck and would still rather see Freo win it this year than the Hawks or the Pies.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
older saint wrote:Best tactical coach in the AFL. I may be in the minority but ugly and winning is better than attractive and sometimes winning.

RL is gone though and Waters is the future, cant look back but just because RL left people should still recognise his expertise
Correct.

The guy is an excellent AFL coach. All AFL coaches have their flaws, but he knows his stuff.

He was brilliant for the Saints and will be brilliant for the Dockers. He would have been brilliant for Carlton too - he is perfectly suited to a club at a particular phase in its development cycle.

I like the bloke, despite what he did to us. Balls the size of watermelons. I wish him luck and would still rather see Freo win it this year than the Hawks or the Pies.
Are you serious?

You want a team thats been in the league for only 18 seasons to be equal on flags with us? The same team that stole our coach??

You and Clarkey are well in the minority IMO. May Freo's flag drought extend at least another 20 years'!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I still have massive sour grapes issues with Ross Lyon.

I fkn hate the bloke. Low down turd of a man in my opinion. I do not care what anyone says, I doubt I will ever forgive the prick.

But last night, midway through the second quarter, as Freo were fifty points up, only allowing Geelong the ONE single behind, I actually said out load to myself, "Jesus Lyon knows how to win finals".

That said, it was a final against Geelong. If there is one team in the competition that Ross Lyon can pull apart, it is Geelong. He build his St Kilda side to beat Geelong in the Cats era of dominance.

I can see Freo beating Adelaide. Easily if Adelaide fail to show up again, but they wont get past Hawthorn.

Watch Freo in 2013 though. A bit of confidence and belief that they are a top four side, plus faith in the Lyon game plan and they will go very, very close.

Ross Lyon can go flower himself. We should never lose to Freo again through his tenure in my opinion. It is a shame our players are all lovey dovey towards him.

Can you tell I'm still bitter?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Legendary wrote:

Correct.

Are you serious?

You want a team thats been in the league for only 18 seasons to be equal on flags with us? The same team that stole our coach??

You and Clarkey are well in the minority IMO. May Freo's flag drought extend at least another 20 years'!

I am jealous of sides that win a flag so I would rather a side from interstate win it than a local side and see it in the papers for a week. The only 2 sides I want to win are Freo because of RL and Sydney because one of my best mates whole family follow them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I still have massive sour grapes issues with Ross Lyon.

I fkn hate the bloke. Low down turd of a man in my opinion. I do not care what anyone says, I doubt I will ever forgive the prick.

But last night, midway through the second quarter, as Freo were fifty points up, only allowing Geelong the ONE single behind, I actually said out load to myself, "Jesus Lyon knows how to win finals".

That said, it was a final against Geelong. If there is one team in the competition that Ross Lyon can pull apart, it is Geelong. He build his St Kilda side to beat Geelong in the Cats era of dominance.

I can see Freo beating Adelaide. Easily if Adelaide fail to show up again, but they wont get past Hawthorn.

Watch Freo in 2013 though. A bit of confidence and belief that they are a top four side, plus faith in the Lyon game plan and they will go very, very close.

Ross Lyon can go flower himself. We should never lose to Freo again through his tenure in my opinion. It is a shame our players are all lovey dovey towards him.

I concur, just a very good summary of how plenty feel.

kalsaint
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:They won't win it this year .... They might get to a prelim against hawthorn but they will run out of tickets and the hawks will beat them on the way to their flag ( sound familure to us of 2008) next year if they land a jig fish like a Goddard or even a Cloke and they stay reasonably fit they will be right up to their eyeballs in the chance for the flag ... Mark my words the powers that be at Freo are going to be going all out for a flag they know now with the expansion clubs if they don't strike now then it's possible they will have to wait another generation before they get their first flag so they have spent up big getting the best finals coach they could find and will go hard after the best players they can get to pinch a flag while they still have the blue chips of Pav and Sandi .... Sucks to be us but hey those with money can buy chances like that we need to rebuild and hope a superstar to build the team around emerges in the next couple of years or we might end up like Richmond
I dont think they have got a chance this year. In fact they will lose next week.

Adleaide has one of the top midfields in the league. They wont allow what Geelong did. Geelong this year has often not dominated the midfiled but have set up run from half back though Enright and Kelly. When those players are taken out they generally lose. This happened yesterday and has been proven but other clubs. Good work be Lyon and his coaching team for the homework.

Adelaide will not allow Freo to turn from the centre to outer wings when tackled and therefore they will get less opportunity to deliver to midfielders who were runninf by, Geelong were not functionling well in teh midfield and went into panic mode leaving cleared Freo players to get easy ball at times thet enabled the Freo game plan for solids forward pressure to dominate. This is when they score most heavily.

Guarantee Adelaides midfield will be awake to the tackiling needs. I havent seen Geelong midfielders not hold up players so badly as yesterday. They are no longer the strong team they once were noted as. Sure they have skills but like St. Kilda dont have the bodies of 2009-2011 as they introduced their kids (Hawkins is the exception).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:They won't win it this year .... They might get to a prelim against hawthorn but they will run out of tickets and the hawks will beat them on the way to their flag ( sound familure to us of 2008) next year if they land a jig fish like a Goddard or even a Cloke and they stay reasonably fit they will be right up to their eyeballs in the chance for the flag ... Mark my words the powers that be at Freo are going to be going all out for a flag they know now with the expansion clubs if they don't strike now then it's possible they will have to wait another generation before they get their first flag so they have spent up big getting the best finals coach they could find and will go hard after the best players they can get to pinch a flag while they still have the blue chips of Pav and Sandi .... Sucks to be us but hey those with money can buy chances like that we need to rebuild and hope a superstar to build the team around emerges in the next couple of years or we might end up like Richmond
I dont think they have got a chance this year. In fact they will lose next week.

Adelaide has one of the top midfields in the league. They wont allow what Geelong did. Geelong this year has often not dominated the midfiled but have set up run from half back though Enright and Kelly. When those players are taken out they generally lose. This happened yesterday and has been proven but other clubs. Good work be Lyon and his coaching team for the homework.

Adelaide will not allow Freo to turn from the centre to outer wings when tackled and therefore they will get less opportunity to deliver to midfielders who were runninf by, Geelong were not functionling well in the midfield and went into panic mode leaving cleared Freo players to get easy ball at times thet enabled the Freo game plan for solids forward pressure to dominate. This is when they scored most heavily.

I guarantee Adelaide's midfield will be awake to the tackiling needs t the centre bounce contests. I havent seen Geelong midfielders not hold up players so badly as yesterday. They are no longer the strong team they once were noted as. Sure they have skills but like St. Kilda dont have the bodies of 2009-2011 as they introduced their kids (Hawkins is the exception).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You gotta think that Goddard's desire to play in a possible premiership will lead him to Fremantle. I just hope we get decent compensation

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:You gotta think that Goddard's desire to play in a possible premiership will lead him to Fremantle.
yeah, that win would have given him massive food for thought. unless they get completely thumped by the crows next week, freo would have a compelling pitch for him at about the same as we want to pay, because they appear so much closer to a flag.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
"Travel + 6 day break cost us dearly" will be the post-match mantra.

Crap...Ross never makes excuses...never...unlike Mick Malthouse after last years GF.

BTW, I hate his guts because I really loved him when he coached us and didn't want him to leave. I just can't and don't listen to him anymore.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
andrewg
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
andrewg wrote:The problem is he gets the teams close but the game plan is unsustainable and is and has been proven to be unsuccessful in grand finals. And he coaches for himself. I can't stand coaches that coach for their record. anyway expectation will build for Freo and like at st.kilda dreams will be shattered. It will be a pleasure to watch
Respectfully, horseshit.

He coaches to win.

It's his job. He does it brilliantly.

Quit the diet of sour grapes and deal with it.
Respectfully Ross Lyon is a traitorous f@$k Stick

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Respectfully Ross Lyon is a traitorous f@$k Stick
the guy was offered a job which offered him better money and better prospects and he took it. most people would do the same in a heartbeat, and not get called traitorous. funny industry, footy.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I laughed at this. You "Fken Hate the bloke", guess you have met him? The way you talk about him is like he is the Anti Christ. Low down Turd, yep, must be right, strange that the players still like him and have great respect for him. But he is a low down turd. "Forgive Him"?? that cracked me up. Poor boy, cant forgive a football coach who left a cub that was a mess in the dealing's with him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Hope Freo go all the way for Ross Lyon

Awesome coach and was ours until our incompetent board led by clown Westaway and CEO Nettlefold completely stuffed up

Go Freo

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

How quickly people forget.

Freo made the finals in 2010.

Then got smashed with injuries in 2011, they should of made the finals this year.

We had a coach who was coaching for results with no eye on the future.

He almost took us there, but didn't, then he jumped ship, and left us with a list in need of desperate attention.

We played in 3 gf's in 2 years yet our membership appeared to be declining, many say because of our god awful game style and our communist like approach to the media.

RL was great for us, but by the end we were both done.

His game style is built for finals, but at the end of the day RL has not coached a Premiership.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Well if he knew how to win finals then why didn't we win enough?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Hopefully Adelaide bounce back and smash Freo next Friday
+1 . screw the cats. had their go and got sucked in to getting ahead of themselves and believing the media . freo played awesome. ive been anti ross since he left but credit where its due. freo played finals footy and geelong were shell shocked. well played.
p.s pav is just a superstar all round player. him and goodes are grossly under rated in melbourne.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Cats were ripe for the picking...

RL has an excellent record v the Cats... Created a game plan to beat them specifically and it is still valid...

However the Cats are no longer valid in the comp, so it will fall short, again..

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Why isnt this in the Opp and Other Sports forum?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:RL has an excellent record v the Cats... Created a game plan to beat them specifically and it is still valid...

I've read that a couple of time in this thread. I'm sure they beat us at least once in a final when we were favorites.

Sounds like just another excuse to not give Lyon credit for a fine victory.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint3d
Club Player

When I saw Geelong 50 points down with no goals on the board I was sold. It was nice to see them on the receiving end and I was (dare I say it) happy for Fremantle.

It helped me realise that there are two possible outcomes to each season: a) Saints win it; or b) Saints don't win it.

I can only imagine a) would be rather enjoyable, but from experience I know that b) is disappointing, no matter how it happens. Other teams will feature in the details of either, but dwelling on them doesn't seem to achieve anything.

Once b) has occurred, wanting other teams to win or lose only sets me up for further disappointment when they don't, except without the payoff when they do because they're not St Kilda.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Hope Freo go all the way for Ross Lyon

Awesome coach and was ours until our incompetent board led by clown Westaway and CEO Nettlefold completely stuffed up

Go Freo
People are funny creatures.

I can never bring myself to barrack for another team other than the Saints.

Perhaps you wouldn't be a good pres afterall.

:)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't know if Crows will go out in straight sets, it doesn't happen that often.

I think their kids will be the better for playing in their first final now and the Swans was the perfect entree to play Freo. You'd hope they would learn a bit from that game and not make the same mistakes again. Media keeps asking Pav if he's imparted his finals wisdom on the young players at Freo, forgetting that a lot of them played the year before last.

They will also be prepared for the fact that Freo may come out and go bang.

Not much been said about the ruck battle, but I think Jacobs has the leap to at least be competitive with Sandipants.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Magnificent coaching performance by Lyon. Freo are likely to make the PF and then bow out. Unlike most on here, I have always predicted that he would do well at Freo, but he's achieved results even quicker than I expected. I would think they will win a flag in the 2013-15 period.

I find it odd that, for the last 12 months, I have found myself defending Lyon after being attacked for being a Lyon-hater for so many years. Also good to see saintsRrising acknowledge at last that our list was ok when Lyon took over: it wasn't what he said at the time.

Geelong have flattered to deceive this year. They looked ok at first, then crap, then ok again towards the end of the season. I always expected Freo to beat them and I was actually surprised that Geelong almost got back into it towards the end: one thing about Lyon-coached sides, they always struggle to put the opposition away. It's really why we didn't win a flag.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Geelong have flattered to deceive this year. They looked ok at first, then crap, then ok again towards the end of the season. I always expected Freo to beat them and I was actually surprised that Geelong almost got back into it towards the end: one thing about Lyon-coached sides, they always struggle to put the opposition away. It's really why we didn't win a flag.
I'm not huge on the tactical side of things, but the commentators said after half time he was pushing all his half forwards up the ground to defend the lead.

Perhaps they'd have been better continuing with Sandilands dominance in the ruck and just thrashing them.