Delistings and retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delistings and retirements

Royston wrote:
sax wrote:
Teflon wrote:Why trade Leger?
Didn't say trade him, just put him on the table.

I hate to say it, the kid has no awareness!

I thought the same - haven't seen any Sandy games or much of his time at senior level but was amazed at the lack of awareness.

Either that or he overrates how quick he is....
You've hit the nail on the head. He overrates himself fullstop.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We have to bite the bullett with Kosi. His second efforts when the ball
Hits the ground are lamentable, and enable the opposition to quickly and easily run the ball out of our forward half. Is this part of the reason clubs in many games have rebounded too easily? He's just part of the picture of course but it must demoralise many teammates who have to help clean up the mess another dropped mark
has created. Harsh but often true unfortunately.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
gringo wrote:Gram isn't a one on one defender he is the opposite to a defensive forward -an offensive back I guess. Both Shaws, O Brien, etc all play more as rebounders there isn't anything wrong with the way Gram plays. The hysteria around him after one bad season where he seemed to struggle with a groin injury seems like a bunch of idiotic villagers hunting down witches. Perhaps they need to burn him to check wether he can play - someone get the waverley goal posts out.
I dont have a problem with Gram. He is a good player. I believe he can be found out down back. Wing forward flank is where I would have him.
Agree. The thing I like most about Gram is the bigger the game, the better he performs. Quite a handy trait IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Superstar
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:We have to bite the bullett with Kosi. His second efforts when the ball
Hits the ground are lamentable, and enable the opposition to quickly and easily run the ball out of our forward half. Is this part of the reason clubs in many games have rebounded too easily? He's just part of the picture of course but it must demoralise many teammates who have to help clean up the mess another dropped mark
Watters this morning on SEN said Kosi was a required player for next year, though he did say he'd be fighting for his spot, and admitted he was left out of the last game in place of others.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Well the year is over so I suppose it is guess time on who will go...
Pluggs, reckon that you've gone early...

Should've waited till Wednesday, and posted what could become your famous yearly thread... 'Guess this year's ins and outs'. :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:Kosi should play Sandy most of next year - be a back up only.
Blake should continue
Goddard will Go
Also gone:
Peake, Clarke, Polo, Crocker, Archer
Elevate: Shenton, Dunnell, Ferguson

So just 2 picks. Surely that isnt enough.

sax
Club Player

defacto wrote:
sax wrote:Retire
Jason Blake

Delist (incl Rookies)
Sam Crocker
Nick Winmar
Dean Polo
Brett Peake
Raphael Clarke
Daniel Archer (R)
Warwick Andreoli (R)
Cameron Shenton (R)

Elevate
Tom Curren
Jackson Ferguson
Sam Dunnell

Retain
Jordan Staley
Darren Minchington

Tradeables (not incl free agents)
Clinton Jones
Farren Ray
Tom Ledger
how many VFL games did you see this year?
Not a whole heap seeing as I live 900km's away.

What's the problem? Not allowed an opinion?

My opinion is based on what I've heard from friends who have attended quite a few VFL games & my own observations from Saints games & the hand full of VFL games I have been to.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
defacto
Club Player

sax wrote:
defacto wrote:
sax wrote:Retire
Jason Blake

Delist (incl Rookies)
Sam Crocker
Nick Winmar
Dean Polo
Brett Peake
Raphael Clarke
Daniel Archer (R)
Warwick Andreoli (R)
Cameron Shenton (R)

Elevate
Tom Curren
Jackson Ferguson
Sam Dunnell

Retain
Jordan Staley
Darren Minchington

Tradeables (not incl free agents)
Clinton Jones
Farren Ray
Tom Ledger
how many VFL games did you see this year?
Not a whole heap seeing as I live 900km's away.

What's the problem? Not allowed an opinion?

My opinion is based on what I've heard from friends who have attended quite a few VFL games & my own observations from Saints games & the hand full of VFL games I have been to.
my point if your a bit harsh on Warwick Andreoli. was apparently very good before a shoulder injury. shenton also apparently been good towards the end of the season.

sax
Club Player

Ithought you could only be on a rookie list for 2 years! This was Warwick's 2nd year.

I saw a lot of Cam Shenton last year & couldn't believe we drafted him to be honest.

He must of improved a hell of a lot for you to want to keep him, considering how deep they're saying this years draft is!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Ithought you could only be on a rookie list for 2 years! This was Warwick's 2nd year.

I saw a lot of Cam Shenton last year & couldn't believe we drafted him to be honest.

He must of improved a hell of a lot for you to want to keep him, considering how deep they're saying this years draft is!

Im pretty sure it is 3 now. Archer has had 3 hasnt he? Anyway you can be a rookie for 10 years if you keep getting redrafted.

sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
sax wrote:Ithought you could only be on a rookie list for 2 years! This was Warwick's 2nd year.

Im pretty sure it is 3 now. Archer has had 3 hasnt he? Anyway you can be a rookie for 10 years if you keep getting redrafted.

Good point!

noob
Club Player

Superstar wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:We have to bite the bullett with Kosi. His second efforts when the ball
Watters this morning on SEN said Kosi was a required player for next year, though he did say he'd be fighting for his spot, and admitted he was left out of the last game in place of others.
It's like he had to say that because of the question being asked. It felt like 'well he shouldn't be here but I can't say over the radio because we haven't delisted anyone yet' type of thing. Didn't spoke about Kosi with any enthusiasm.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... -st-kilda/

BRETT Peake's time at St Kilda is coming to an end, with the club and player to part ways.

Saints coach Scott Watters is understood to have told Peake he will not be part of his plans next season, as the Saints continue to rebuild in a bid to return to the finals in 2013.

Peake, who has played just once for the Saints this year, is likely to return to his native Western Australia, where he began his AFL career with Fremantle.

As his career fizzled at the Dockers, so it has at the Saints, after featuring in both grand finals in 2010.

His manager Colin Young told sportsnewsfirst.com.au the surfing enthusiast was still super-fit.

"I truly believe Brett could play at AFL level for another four years, he is as fit or even fitter than he was when he was first drafted," Young said.

"Sometimes clubs change direction and the player pays the penalty - but its neither club or the player's fault.

"It is just the nature of the industry."

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SainterK wrote:http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... -st-kilda/

BRETT Peake's time at St Kilda is coming to an end, with the club and player to part ways.

Saints coach Scott Watters is understood to have told Peake he will not be part of his plans next season, as the Saints continue to rebuild in a bid to return to the finals in 2013.

Peake, who has played just once for the Saints this year, is likely to return to his native Western Australia, where he began his AFL career with Fremantle.

As his career fizzled at the Dockers, so it has at the Saints, after featuring in both grand finals in 2010.

His manager Colin Young told sportsnewsfirst.com.au the surfing enthusiast was still super-fit.

"I truly believe Brett could play at AFL level for another four years, he is as fit or even fitter than he was when he was first drafted," Young said.

"Sometimes clubs change direction and the player pays the penalty - but its neither club or the player's fault.

"It is just the nature of the industry."
Don't you just love player managers?

I'm surprised he didn't go a step further and say he is a potential triple brown low medalist.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Bono wrote:Blake will get another year.
Gram = gone

Massive call on Gram IMO. He might be on a reduced contract, but I doubt he would be tipped out - unless they plan to trade him.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Another 4 years? It's been two years too many. I would even say 3.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA veteran Justin Koschitzke will remain at St Kilda for at least another season.
Koschitzke, 30 this month, is an unrestricted free agent and could have joined the club of his choice.
But his manager James Pitcher, of Strategic Management Solutions, told The Age the ruckman-forward would remain with the Saints.
"He will remain at St Kilda for at least another year," Pitcher said.
"I will finalise the paper work hopefully next week.
"I will catch up with the Saints and knock it over. He will be staying a Saint."
Koschitzke played 19 matches this season but was dropped for last weekend's final round against Carlton.
He needs only five more matches to reach the 200 milestone.
Earlier, Saints coach Scott Watters said Koschitzke was a required player.
"He offers really good leadership," Watters said on SEN.
"We've got some young key forwards - Rhys Stanley and Jay Lever - who are coming through, and the work that 'Kosi' has done behind the scenes with Rhys this year … he won't get a lot of plaudits for that from the outside, but internally he's done a great job.
"He's in a challenge for his spot going forward, as is Adam Schneider, who had some injuries this year.
"But they're quality players, and it needs to be a challenging environment.
"So I would expect 'Kosi' to back up with a really strong pre-season and challenge for a spot."
Watters said her also expects Brendon Goddard, also off contract, to remain at the club.
"He has been offered a strong and reasonable offer. Ultimately he must make a choice. He is a passionate Saints person with leadership ambitions," he said.
However, it's understood Goddard, a restricted free agent, is unhappy with the offer the Saints have made.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/k ... z25ULI8igT

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

"Lp
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 04 Sep 2012 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Great news on Kosi.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
wally
Club Player

does Silvani at freo get a game these days? I know on here people were keen to pick him up from Sandy,maybe ross doesn"t like him he might want to come back.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:does Silvani at freo get a game these days? I know on here people were keen to pick him up from Sandy,maybe ross doesn"t like him he might want to come back.
He was at Casey not Sandy and I doubt we'd be interested.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:ST KILDA veteran Justin Koschitzke will remain at St Kilda for at least another season.
Koschitzke, 30 this month, is an unrestricted free agent and could have joined the club of his choice.
But his manager James Pitcher, of Strategic Management Solutions, told The Age the ruckman-forward would remain with the Saints.
"I will catch up with the Saints and knock it over. He will be staying a Saint."
Koschitzke played 19 matches this season but was dropped for last weekend's final round against Carlton.
"We've got some young key forwards - Rhys Stanley and Jay Lever - who are coming through, and the work that 'Kosi' has done behind the scenes with Rhys this year … he won't get a lot of plaudits for that from the outside, but internally he's done a great job.
"He's in a challenge for his spot going forward, as is Adam Schneider, who had some injuries this year.
"So I would expect 'Kosi' to back up with a really strong pre-season and challenge for a spot."
Watters said her also expects Brendon Goddard, also off contract, to remain at the club.
"He has been offered a strong and reasonable offer. Ultimately he must make a choice. He is a passionate Saints person with leadership ambitions," he said.
However, it's understood Goddard, a restricted free agent, is unhappy with the offer the Saints have made.

If Kosi's such a great influence behind the scenes he should be on the coaching staff, not clogging up the playing list.

defacto
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:ST KILDA veteran Justin Koschitzke will remain at St Kilda for at least another season.

If Kosi's such a great influence behind the scenes he should be on the coaching staff, not clogging up the playing list.
i agree. its one of kosi/blake. not both. leaning towards kozi as fwd/ruck depth if we get a ready made KPD. he should not be playing alot of games next year. if he does were going backwards

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

If Rhys did another hammy next year, would you be lamenting the list clogging?

I think this is right, Rhys and his development a priority, Kosi played when/where if neccessary.

bbm
Club Player

Dragits comments are spot on. I think getting the most for BJ is the way to go right now. He hasn't had a great season but many clubs will pay over the odds to get him. Getting a 1st round draft pick and either using that or trading it for a younger gun key position player, key forward or mid would be better for the medium term. The club is bigger than the individual
and we can't waste time seeing out old guns into retirement.