Steven Baker on Open Mike

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven Baker on Open Mike

Moods wrote:How can we admire Bakes and not admire Tony Liberatore for similar type tactics in a different era?
True irony right there, one wins a brownlow, the other will now only be remembered as the biggest thug of an era, yet both played in a similar fashion.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Baker grooming himself for a career in the media(Jacko/Fev style)?
Obviously over qualified for entry into MENSA.
The sooner players like him/Libba are extinct in AFL the better off the game will be.
Tell you what, if I was a player and subjected to some of Baker's alleged antics it would not end on the field!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Love bakes, still. Nothing was a surprise. But reckon there's your typical poetic license in exaggerating a story here. Sharpening studs could well have been just getting them back to as new condition, exaggerated as is typical of old footballing, cricket, rugby, etc stories. Remember the great books Maxie walker wrote? Fair bit of license added to those as well. We all do it.
Bakes was a champion for us, gave his all, and deserves our admiration and respect for his time with us. Champion.
Agree !

Carn't believe some of the BS people are posting .

If I was going to battle , i'd want stevie baker right next to me !

In red white and black from 73
Moods
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Love bakes, still. Nothing was a surprise. But reckon there's your typical poetic license in exaggerating a story here. Sharpening studs could well have been just getting them back to as new condition, exaggerated as is typical of old footballing, cricket, rugby, etc stories. Remember the great books Maxie walker wrote? Fair bit of license added to those as well. We all do it.
Bakes was a champion for us, gave his all, and deserves our admiration and respect for his time with us. Champion.
Agree !

Carn't believe some of the BS people are posting .

If I was going to battle , i'd want stevie baker right next to me !
Course you would. Because in a war there's very few if any rules!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Do any of you people work??

Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

8856brother wrote:Do any of you people work??
I quit my job yesterday when I found out how good life on the dole is. :idea:

And it just gets better. The local Centrelink turns out to be just around the corner from all those wonderful Brunswick Street cafes. I worked out that $14400 a year (tax free too, yipee!) buys me about 1400 iced chocolate drinks and slices of Rocky Road cake. What with free wi-fi and no worries re diabetes..., my life couldn't be better. :lol:

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry, back to the love-in here...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Soooooooo, back to the topic...

Just finished watching Stevie being interviewed by Mikey. :lol:

Great interview! Nearly all footy interviews are sanitised, cliched, party-line wastes of time, hence I rarely bother with them. Seen/heard one, seen them all (nearly). Not this one, though still not what I was expecting after reading the other posts here...

Sure, some (plenty) questionable tactics, but Bakes wouldn't have been the only player from his era up to those sorta antics. The Teddy's Snott twins Neado and Thal anyone...?

I think that it's a really good thing that so much of those dirty carry-ons are being removed from the game..., IMO that does not make the game nor the players softer.

But that said, ultimately in Bake's defence, he accepted the two-way street, that if you were prepared to hand 'em out, then you had to be prepared to cop 'em back. He accepted that, wore that..., unlike some wanna be tough-guys... :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Beekay
SS Life Member

don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but doesn't anyone find it odd that Bakes and Lenny are best mates?

i very much enjoyed baker in the team, but it is quite clear he is a massive bogan.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
st.byron wrote:Has lost my respect also. Used to like him and think he was hard done by. It's one thing to play hard and tough. But filing your stops. Deliberately head-butting blokes by throwing your head back. Nup. Dog acts, no matter what jumper you're wearing.
Neither is eye gouging, chicken winging and pressure points but hey he is the double brownlow golden child not the hard nut street fighter fighting for his club

maybe some should look at other sports and see what goes on there - water polo, netball, basketball,
Yep agree with you Brat - but sharpening your stops. That's just plain out and out scumbag behaviour. Don't care who you play for. Can't believe the number of people on here defending that. If it was Ling or a player from another club we'd all be pouring sanctimonious buckets of s*** on them. But because it's Bakes it's somehow ok. Nup.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Some of you really are dumb arses lol.

It's now a revelation to you that Steven was dirty ?! You now think he cheated to beat opponents every week... Idiots. He beat his opponents fair and square 99.9% of the time, was by close checking, blocking , 100% concentration and ferocity at the ball. Do you honestly think he would of played 203 games in this era if he was head butting, stabbing players with stops, punching behind play every week? Some of you really are simpletons at best
This!!! No one plays 200+ games of footy without be able to really play football. Just being a street fighter doesn't cut it. The interview distorted things. He did everything he said. True enough. But that is not the ONLY things he did on the field but it was the only thing Sheahan focused on for the whole interview.

Carna Saints!!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:

It's now a revelation to you that Steven was dirty ?! You now think he cheated to beat opponents every week... Idiots. He beat his opponents fair and square 99.9% of the time, was by close checking, blocking , 100% concentration and ferocity at the ball. Do you honestly think he would of played 203 games in this era if he was head butting, stabbing players with stops, punching behind play every week? Some of you really are simpletons at best
This!!! No one plays 200+ games of footy without be able to really play football. Just being a street fighter doesn't cut it. The interview distorted things. He did everything he said. True enough. But that is not the ONLY things he did on the field but it was the only thing Sheahan focused on for the whole interview.
But you can't blame Sheahan for focussing on that stuff. Without that side to his career Bakes wouldn't have justified a slot on the show.

For whatever reason Bakes ran with that stuff and must unfortunately cop any fall out from his frank admissions.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It aint Ballet ladies.

Spelly
Club Player

Just curious ...

Has anyone else tried to swat Beekay's avatar thingy?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it gets me every time spelly
i think there's ants coming in the house somewhere.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:

But you can't blame Sheahan for focussing on that stuff. Without that side to his career Bakes wouldn't have justified a slot on the show.

For whatever reason Bakes ran with that stuff and must unfortunately cop any fall out from his frank admissions.
I don't blame Sheahan for raising the issue but it was neither responsible nor balanced journalism for him to focus on it to the exclusion of all else. I do blame him for that.

As for Bakes, he is indeed responsible for the way he presents himself. Sadly he didn't have the wherewithal to get Sheahan off his one-track topic and say, "Mike, I did those things but that wasn't the only thing I did. I also played football--over 200 times. You pointed this out yourself." Unfortunately and ironically Bakes wasn't able to defend himself in the interview.

Carna Saints!!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote: Unfortunately and ironically Bakes wasn't able to defend himself in the interview.
Well I did offer a suggestion in the other thread :P
Dr Spaceman wrote: I'd love the cheeky little buggar to take a ping pong ball with him :wink:

Chef attack
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Moods wrote:How can we admire Bakes and not admire Tony Liberatore for similar type tactics in a different era?
True irony right there, one wins a brownlow, the other will now only be remembered as the biggest thug of an era, yet both played in a similar fashion.
Both are dirty bogan sacks of s***

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Chef attack wrote:
dragit wrote:
Both are dirty bogan sacks of s***
2 pretty positive post from you so far. Good work.

Saintsational Legend

Is the interview video online anywhere?

Saints43
Club Player

Beekay wrote:don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but doesn't anyone find it odd that Bakes and Lenny are best mates?
I think it was established on this forum recently that Lenny would be mates with anyone.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

IMHO Bakes was an excellent player (in the roles that he was given)and loyal servant of the club.

Scarlett is the thug. Not ever was any of Baker's actions life threatening.

He was even suspended for being stood on by allessio and not once did he even complain.

A real footballer's footballer!

St Lenny
Club Player

Moods wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
Moods wrote:

How can we admire Bakes and not admire Tony Liberatore for similar type tactics in a different era? How can we accept what happened to Farmer and yet condemn Brereton for what he did to Frawley or what Hocking did to HaRVEY? As I said the true hypocrites are the ones who attempt to defend Bakes
I loved Bakes, but was also disappointed with the interview. Wish he had of kept it to himself. But totally agree with above comments.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum.

The saddest thing about this thread and the interview, is that it's clear that Demetriou has officially f***ed the game and sadly he's sucked in a few people who lap up his whole 'image of the game' s***.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Fair dinkum.

The saddest thing about this thread and the interview, is that it's clear that Demetriou has officially f***ed the game and sadly he's sucked in a few people who lap up his whole 'image of the game' s***.

Yep that is for sure. Makes as much sense as dropping guys after one bad performance even if they were best the week before.