monster backmen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: monster backmen

WinnersOnly wrote:From a Collingwood supporter on Bigfooty (make of it what you will) -
Hearing Chaplin from Port has already signed with Richmond. Be a good deal for Richmond.
Obviously Richmond doesn't rate their other talls like Jayden POST and David ASTBURY if the above is true. I would take either and it maybe a chance to pick them up cheaply !
Pattison & Polo are surely enough players that couldn't get a game at tigerland?

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

footynut wrote:Now I know Im getting off topic but I think the club should look at Callum Sinclair (Subiaco)
A mobile 201cm key forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck, Sinclair moved to Subiaco from VFL club Port Melbourne this season and made an immediate impact, averaging seven marks and three goals in his first month. The 22-year-old has had knee problems and was considered a strong draft chance in 2010. 2 years on his knee problems appear to be gone.

Now the club should investigate if he could possibly be turned into a backman. As we are all quite aware that many forwards have sucessfully made the transition into defence.
He is also the son of former StKilda player Alan Sinclair who was recruited from Fitzroy. The family refuses to acknowledge his StKilda career as he embarressingly missed several goal from within 15 metres on debut after taking strong marks.

I hope Callum has toughened up, he used to cry in under age footy when things didn't go his way.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
footynut wrote:Now I know Im getting off topic but I think the club should look at Callum Sinclair (Subiaco)
A mobile 201cm key forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck, Sinclair moved to Subiaco from VFL club Port Melbourne this season and made an immediate impact, averaging seven marks and three goals in his first month. The 22-year-old has had knee problems and was considered a strong draft chance in 2010. 2 years on his knee problems appear to be gone.

Now the club should investigate if he could possibly be turned into a backman. As we are all quite aware that many forwards have sucessfully made the transition into defence.
He is also the son of former StKilda player Alan Sinclair who was recruited from Fitzroy. The family refuses to acknowledge his StKilda career as he embarressingly missed several goal from within 15 metres on debut after taking strong marks.

I hope Callum has toughened up, he used to cry in under age footy when things didn't go his way.
I watch the s*** crackers at Auskick and always think at least they give a s***. It shows an unhealthy competitive streak which you need in professional sport. :)

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:

I watch the s*** crackers at Auskick and always think at least they give a s***. It shows an unhealthy competitive streak which you need in professional sport. :)
Unfortunately he was 16... :shock:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:

I watch the s*** crackers at Auskick and always think at least they give a s***. It shows an unhealthy competitive streak which you need in professional sport. :)[/quote]

Unfortunately he was 16... :shock:[/quote]

Hey I'm nearly 40 and still crack it when I lose, don't knock it. I cry on the inside now.

Superstar
Club Player

Anyone know why Andy Otten's not getting a game for the Crows. Seems like talia has gone ahead of him. I think he's a really good player.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:The bloke we should be looking at is Merrett from Brisbane. Good size, plays KPD, can pinch hit forward, has a nice amount of mongrel in him (ask Roo!). If we are going to spend serious coin get a good'un I reckon.
i reckon stephen silvagni's a better player, and at least we've got a chance of actually getting him down to seaford.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:From a Collingwood supporter on Bigfooty (make of it what you will) -
Hearing Chaplin from Port has already signed with Richmond. Be a good deal for Richmond.
Obviously Richmond doesn't rate their other talls like Jayden POST and David ASTBURY if the above is true. I would take either and it maybe a chance to pick them up cheaply !
Pattison & Polo are surely enough players that couldn't get a game at tigerland?
AND Dawson didn't do a reasonable job ? We need a mature body to fill the gap, it doens't mean we still dont recruit a kid who can develop into the role in future years.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:i reckon stephen silvagni's a better player, and at least we've got a chance of actually getting him down to seaford.
I do too (re SOS), but I was referring to Daniel, not Roger :wink:

lucasro
Club Player

A number of clubs especially Crows are looking at Joel Tippett(197cm,93kg) who is having an exceptional year at fullback for WestAdelaide-close checking,good spoiler,quick and a good left foot kick. He will be drafted next year by someone.SamFisher and RhysStanley from WestAdelaide would both have heard of his impressive form this year.Another West defender StevenMorris has moved easily into AFL this year with Richmond-West coach is AndyCollins who knows a bit about defending at the AFL level.Saints should have a close look.

westies1953
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
bergholt wrote:i reckon stephen silvagni's a better player, and at least we've got a chance of actually getting him down to seaford.
I do too (re SOS), but I was referring to Daniel, not Roger :wink:
yeah, right. but why would brissie actually let him go?

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I thought he was a restricted free agent, but I've just checked and he's not. So we'd have to trade to get him. But he is axactly the player we need down back, so might be worth looking at.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Potential State League FULL BACK !

Potential State League FULL BACK !

Joel TIPPET 24y/o 197 cm's 90 kgs
West Adelaide SANFL

Is apparently having a great year for Wests playing at full back maybe exactly what we need. Has had a taste of AFL being on the Lions & Suns rookie lists.

Bio: A massive recruit to the club (West Adelaide) who will play full back. Has AFL experience with both Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Younger of Brother of Adelaide Crows star – Kurt Tippett.

Apparently the Crows are very interested in him....!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
lucasro
Club Player

Brenton sanderson confirmed on 5AA this week that Crows were having a close look at Joel Tippett saying he has had a 'fantastic year' as full back for West Adelaide-Todd Viney also seen at recent West Adelaide game-Tippett has been asked to SA draft camp so at least one club has flagged interest

westies1953
Munga
Saintsational Legend

So why did gold coast let him go? Or does he only want to play in SA?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think they were playing him as a ruck forward at the GC and had some issues adjusting to the commitment required. he might have just been too young and getting delisted was the kick up the bum and the new position was less pressure to perform. Nick Rodda is the biggest back at the draft he is the size of Brian Lake already and looks like he finds it easily at the lower levels. Should go at around pick 20 to 30 and could be a genuine full back for years.